The Day after Halloween

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That evening, he approached the woman and suggested they make love. At first, she tried to demur but remembering the warning from the groundskeeper, he persisted and finally, she consented. It was awkward, and although Matt felt he was cheating on the real Heather, he forced himself to put on a display of affection. He felt similar vibes from the woman beneath him, who sighed and moaned throughout the session at all the right moments, although her responses lacked true passion. The most surprising moment occurred when he felt his balls tightening, signaling an impending climax. Before he started, he thought it impossible, but it wasn't long before his release arrived and he grunted repeatedly as his semen shot forth. Afterward, the woman disappeared into the bathroom and stayed there for so long that Matt finally went to watch TV.

The encounter started a once a week sexual routine always initiated by Matt. Although much less than normal, it seemed acceptable to the woman and fulfilled the need of the grad student to demonstrate his ignorance of the truth. Their daily routine was similar, as both went through the perfunctory motions of a loving relationship while remaining partially detached. In many ways, he thought they were like actors on stage, performing for the world, and in their case, each other.

Matt had a small file that he kept safely locked in the desk of his campus office filled with the notes he had made, the photos Gus had given, and other information he had uncovered. When he had some free time, he would pull it out and pour through the material like a detective with a cold case. Like Gus had warned, so much time had elapsed that he made no progress in trying to uncover information on the mausoleum or the couple. Finally, he turned to the photos of the wall marks, and for several weeks, he did exhaustive internet research trying to find some clue that indicated their meaning or source. It proved fruitless, and in frustration, he was about to give up when the idea struck him to seek out experts in the field that could possibly provide guidance. That task turned out to be more difficult than he expected, and only when he decided to follow a paganism route, did he start to make progress. A week later, he had the names of four specialists located in the general area. It took numerous phone calls and the transmission of the pictures to these individuals to determine that two were basically charlatans and one was just plain nutty. The fourth held promise, but was reluctant to become involved and it took all of Matt's persuasive skills to finally get him to agree to a meeting.

Dr. Gerald Humphries was a professor of religion at a small private college about an hour's drive away. On his way to the meeting, Matt thought about what he wanted to learn from the man and how much to share.

"Hello, Professor Humphries?" he asked, knocking on the partially opened door.

"Yes, and you are Matt I presume?" he answered.

Based upon the man's voice, he had expected someone older, but he guessed he was only in his early forties. In addition, he had an average build with a full head of dark hair and wore jeans with a pullover sweater. They moved to a small table in the corner, and when seated, the professor looked at him expectantly.

"Professor, I hoped we could talk about the photos I sent you in more detail," he started, and after a pause, continued with the story, "I ran across these... carvings... in an old mausoleum. It's decades-old and I found them intriguing. I'm really trying to find out their meaning."

"Yes, I understand. You explained that on the phone. I've really told you all I know already. As I said, they appear to be representative of some... religious sect... which is not uncommon in this region. Especially, from the time period you mentioned," he explained.

Matt had sensed he was holding back on the phone and now in person, he was certain of it. While articulate in his response, he showed some nervousness in the movement of his eyes and hands. Fortunately, as a grad student, he understood the ego of academics which guided him in preparing his response.

"Well... gosh... that's disappointing. My research, which included talking to others in the field, led me to you. You were clearly head and shoulders above the others, so I was hopeful..." he said, after a pause added, "I mean if you don't know... I guess it's a dead end."

If the professor felt the ego-stroking embedded in his words, it didn't show. Instead, his eyes narrowed as if he were deep in thought. Matt remained silent, waiting for the older man's response, that took over a minute to appear.

"Look, Matt. Let me be honest with you. My sense is these figures are related to some strange cult, but as a serious academic, getting involved in these types of things is poison. I don't want my name to show up on some bizarre website, which believe me has happened to others," he responded.

"Professor, I'm doing this for myself... and... look we're just talking. There is no paper trail," he told the older man.

Once again, the professor became quiet, and Matt could tell his brain was churning before he finally answered, "I recall seeing similar figures years ago. They were... found... in a similar setting... that's all I remember."

"But..." he started, wanting to clarify the message.

"I'm sorry. I need to get to class," the professor interrupted.

Professor Humphries showed Matt out and he went straight to his car. While he drove, he contemplated the information and decided it just confirmed their suspicions. Nothing the professor said was specific and he fully expected that the mausoleum had a connection to some strange order. Unfortunately, it had been the only lead that had shown any promise, so he felt depressed that he lacked anything tangible to work on. He decided it was time to meet with Gus again, but with his current commitments, he knew it would have to be later in the week.

He arrived at the apartment just before six and he could tell something was up as soon as he stepped inside.

"You've been away a lot. Kind of acting weird," Heather said while giving him a strange look.

Instantly, his defenses went up and he picked his words carefully when he replied, "I've just been busy with things. I'm sorry, sweetie."

"Okay..." she responded, but he could tell she was still concerned.

Matt moved behind her, wrapped his arm around her waist and forced himself to say, "You want to make love later?"

"Do you?" she asked, with the same odd expression.

"I do," he answered, and then stepped away.

His senses told him she was suspicious, but he didn't know why she would be. Regardless, he was worried his look might give him away, so he decided to separate and regroup. He spent several hours on his computer, pretending to work while thinking about what he had learned and the many months that would pass before November 1st returned. In truth, they were really working on a theory. However, it was all they had and at least it provided guidance towards an outcome. In the interim, he had the challenge to maintain the façade of being a loving boyfriend of the woman possessing his Heather.

"Let's go to bed," he said to her as he wrapped his arm around her waist.

"Okay..." she answered.

Quickly, they were naked beneath the covers and Matt began to suckle gently on her nipples. They tasted the same and hardened instantly like they always had. Even her sighs came at the right moment, but the young man could tell that her responses lacked depth. Still, he carried on and entered the woman and then made love to her slowly.

Minutes later, Matt lay on his back, panting with the woman's arm across his chest as he recovered from his release. He felt intensely guilty for becoming excited and ejaculating into her but rationalized that it would help maintain the illusion. Her hands began to stroke his chest and moved to his face where after a moment, she turned his head her way.

"Let's get married," she said softly.

"Heather, we are getting married. We already agreed..." he replied, but she cut him off.

"I... I mean now... right now. I don't want to wait anymore," she responded.

"Why?" he asked, trying hard to remain relaxed.

"I just do..." she said, and before he could answer, she added, "We could go to the courthouse. We don't need a fancy wedding."

The message was another sign that the woman in the bed was not his girlfriend, as the real Heather had been very excited about a large, traditional ceremony. He wasn't sure what was driving the demon's request, but he knew he needed to buy some time.

"Let me think about it... think about the right time," he said.

She wasn't happy with the message, although, after some more discussion, she accepted it. A few minutes later, she left the bed to clean the kitchen and Matt used the solitude to think about the next steps. Deciding it must have significant meaning, the young grad student knew he needed to visit Gus and discuss the situation.

"Matt, this is Professor Humphries," the voice said through his phone.

He hadn't expected to hear from the man again, so it took him a moment to gather himself, "Yes... Professor. How are you?"

"I'm good... quite good. I wanted to reach out to you on that subject we recently discussed. I mean, if this is a good time for you?" he said.

"It's fine... fine..." he confirmed.

"Look, Matt, I went back through some old notes and did some quiet digging. Now, none of what I'm about to tell you is confirmed... it's more like... rumor and suspicion. From the information and sources, I would say that the markings are representative of a cult like we discussed. But there are some oddities. Most of these groups... the cults... seek out, members... try to expand, but in this case, it appears to be very closed and secretive. Also, there are strong signs that point to the participants being people of means...wealthy individuals. They were active during the time period we discussed and then simply disappeared as if it was a single generation oddity."

"I see," the young man said, and then quickly asked, "What was their... mantra... their belief?"

"That's very hard to determine. No one has decoded the meaning, although some of the figures have been used before. So, that's all there is to go on. If we use that as a basis, they were a dark group. Satanic worshippers in the simplest sense... very dark."

There was silence as Matt contemplated the message. He knew the question he wanted to ask but was concerned that it would make him look silly or worse, make him appear to the professor as exactly the type of person he was trying to avoid.

"Professor... uhhh... I don't want to sound like a nut case, but... uhhh... when you say dark... I mean could it be like defeating death? Resurrection?" he finally forced out.

It was several seconds before the academic answered, "Yes, I think that's possible. If you're asking if these symbols had the purpose of... uhhh... seeking resurrection... I think that's entirely possible."

The phone call lasted a few more minutes, although they discussed nothing more of substance. Matt asked the professor if he could follow-up with him in the future, and although reluctant, the man agreed.

Matt knew he needed to be extremely careful with Heather, so it was another week before he was able to find some time to visit the cemetery groundskeeper. It was windy and raining as he made his way through the cemetery, which added to the creepiness he felt as he coursed his way through the stone markers. He wished there was a way to contact the old man beforehand, but still expected to find him when he arrived at the small apartment. As it turned out, a light in one of the sheds alerted the young student and when he went to investigate, he found Gus putting away some tools.

"Gus?" he said from the open door.

Although his back was to the opening, the interruption didn't startle him and turned he slowly turned towards the student. From his expression, it almost seemed like the old man had expected him, which sent a chill through his body.

"You got some news?" he asked.

"Yes... I think so," Matt answered.

He expected the old man to guide them to his living quarters and pull out the whiskey as he had on the previous encounters. However, he remained still and looked towards him with an expectant expression.

"Tell me... get it out," he finally said when he saw the student fumbling.

"I... I guess there are two things," he replied and after a pause to take a breath, he continued, "I talked to a man... a professor who is an expert on marking like those in the mausoleum. That's one thing. The other is that Heather... the woman... wants to get married."

Matt went on to explain in detail all that had occurred, including his trip to the nearby college to meet with the professor. The groundskeeper showed keen interest throughout the description, interrupting occasionally to ask clarifying questions. Their discussion lasted for almost twenty minutes, and then they became quiet as they contemplated the meaning.

"That professor... those markings... I think he must be right," the old man finally offered.

"I do too... but I'm not sure what to do with the information. I mean, does it really change anything?" he asked.

"Need to think about it some more," he answered, and then added, "Does mean that they were ready. Prepared for death..."

The words sent a chill through the young man and he replied, "I hadn't thought about that. Shit! That mausoleum is like a trap... designed to attract attention."

"Yep, that's what I'm thinking, too," Gus said, and after a brief pause, he continued with, "And the woman. Something's worrying her. Maybe she thinks you're drifting on her. You been acting normal?"

"I... I thought so," he answered, although he knew he was only doing the minimum.

He was still thinking about his interactions with the woman when the man said, "Now, I got some news for you... and it ain't good."

"What?" Matt asked nervously.

"Yesterday morning, I saw a young woman leaving the area near the mausoleum. What's your girl look like?" he asked.

The young man fumbled with his phone, but within a few seconds was able to pull up a photo of Heather. He turned the device in his hand and stood quietly as the man looked her over.

"Well?" he asked impatiently.

"That's her. It's her for sure and it ain't good. It probably means they're communicating and that can't be good," he responded.

"Can they hurt Heather? My Heather?" the young man asked.

"I don't know... I really don't," he replied, and then added, "If they wanted to hurt her, they could have done it by now, so either they can't or she ain't a threat... or they need her..."

"Need her for what?" Matt fired back.

The older man thought about the question and realized there was another consideration. Maybe, it was a matter of wanting rather than needing. He had heard the strange interaction the one time that sounded like seduction, and although he had returned several times to listen, he had not heard anything similar. Still, it was something to ponder, and he thought about telling the young man but decided once again that it would create useless worry. After all, what could they do about it?

"I don't know... have to think about it," Gus finally said.

"I want to hear her... I need to..." Matt demanded.

"Look... I know you do, but it worries me. If somehow they find out..." he replied.

"I understand what you're saying, but I really need to," the young man pleaded.

With a nod, the groundskeeper acknowledged the message and immediately made for the door. A few minutes later, they were unlocking the gate, and once it swung open, they stepped silently inside. Like before, they dropped beside the crypts and listened for the faint sounds, trying to block out all ambient noise. The men remained in the structure for over thirty minutes and heard nothing. However, Matt felt a presence that he knew was Heather and he hoped that somehow, she could sense his nearness as well. It was when he was trying to channel his mental energy towards her that an idea suddenly appeared in his brain. Reluctantly, he touched Gus' shoulder and motioned towards the entrance. Just a few minutes later, they were back in the shed and Matt started to explain his thought.

"Getting Heather to switch back... I have an idea," he said excitedly.

"Go on," the older man replied.

"What if... next November 1st...what if we go back inside, but the woman is drugged. Maybe, she will be weakened and Heather can switch back," the young student explained.

The older man looked at him, expressionless as he contemplated the concept and although he thought it was a long shot and very risky, he didn't have anything else to offer, so he responded, "Might work... dangerous..."

"Why? Tell me the danger," he replied.

"Well, let's see... to start, they might get you first. Then, how do you know your girlfriend will see the opportunity? You know they planned all this shit for a long time... before they died. They were ready, but your girl didn't..." he explained.

Matt knew the man had a point, but he wasn't prepared to give up on the plan, so he stared at the floor in silence as his brain churned. The minutes ticked by with the groundskeeper giving him space until he was ready.

"I agree with your points, but here's my answer. I think... now that I know what to look for... the signs and feelings... I will be ready when they make their try. Now Heather... I don't know if there's a good answer... I guess I'll just have to believe in her fighting spirit," he said, and before Gus could reply, he added, "Anyway... if I can't get her out... I think I'd rather be with her."

The older man lacked in education and he had spent most of his life in virtual solitude, but he recognized it wasn't time to be negative, and replied, "It's a plan... best we got. We've got plenty of time to work on it, so let's say it'll work for now."

Matt felt drained of energy and knew he needed to get back to the apartment so he wouldn't create suspicion. They talked for a few more minutes and then he announced he was leaving.

"I'll try to come back in a few weeks and we can talk some more," he said.

"Listen... be careful. What you said that professor told you. There might be others out there too... helping. Watch that woman and see if she's talking to anyone new. And, be aware about being followed," he counseled, making Matt shudder as he recognized the reality of the message, but before the young man could respond, he added, "Now, I got a problem like you. If that woman is going to be coming around, I've got to be careful, too. She knows me from my brother, but she doesn't know that I know about your girl."

Time seemed to crawl by for Matt, and more and more, he recognized the differences between his girlfriend and the woman that stole her body. None of them were big, and for a casual acquaintance, they would go unnoticed. But he saw them, as did her mother, who on more than one occasion asked him if things were going okay between the two. He tried to assure her everything was fine, but she didn't really buy it, so he wasn't surprised when she cornered him during their spring break visit.

They were alone on their way to the liquor store to get some wine when she broached the subject, "Somethings going on. I know my daughter and she has been acting strange for months."

"Everything is fine," Matt replied, knowing he couldn't tell her the truth.

"Is she pregnant?" the woman fired back.

"No, not pregnant," he answered with a forced laugh.

"Look, something's wrong. She's acting like a zombie!" she declared.

Matt knew what the woman meant as Heather seemed incapable of engaging in an interaction with any depth. Her first response would be normal, typical of the girl he loved, but then she would seem to fade away.