The Descending of Jessica Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jessie92
Jessie92
503 Followers

Carolyn insisted that we join her and Andrew for lunch, although that seemed like a terrible idea for a first date to me. She pointed out though that the "date" was related to our study group, though, and that she was rather nervous about it. She said she would appreciate us being there to help break the ice. Without Sarah giggling at her, she was a romantic basket case. However, given that I married the first guy I was ever really in a relationship with, I could not criticize. We finally relented but we would not be able to stay long as before going to the shelter we needed to hit the pet supply store to get the things for our new housemate. Carolyn was excited about Alejandro, and the canine addition to our home. She debated going with us before class that morning but decided it was more of a family thing, at least today. Brent had pointed out that she and Andrew might want to study that afternoon but Carolyn, ever the negative, felt that would not happen. I would have loved for Carolyn to join us but she was right and anyone beyond family might have confused Alex. With us being married, our family relationships to him would be confusing enough to explain as it was.

Carolyn arrived at lunch and looked smashing. She had Andrew in tow and we greeted him and introduced him more fully to Brent. Andrew, or Andy as he liked to be called, and Brent hit it off well. Andrew came from the other end of the state, an area known for sad music and great BBQ. His father was in insurance and his mother owned a women's clothing boutique. He was the oldest of three and the first in college. He worked at the restaurant for spending money but was on scholarship for tuition and books. His main goal, other than flirting with Carolyn, was to keep his GPA up enough to pay for the next semester and hopefully move off campus.

"So, you two just got married?" Andy asked.

"Yeah, you know about the wreck and all. When Jessie came back, I couldn't waste another moment. Life's too short, ya know?" Brent replied.

"See? They get mushy every chance they get. There's no way I can study with them without help." Carolyn grinned.

"I'm glad to assist. So you all know each other from high school?"

"No, Brent and Jessie grew up together. I met Brent at Tech before I transferred here. In fact, I'm the reason they started dating," she said with pride.

"Really?"

"No, its true. My hubby was too shy to ask me out," I smirked, while eying Brent.

"I was. I mean, anyone could see why I would be, though. Carolyn made me promise I would tell Jessie how I felt and one day, well, I finally just blurted it all out, consequences be damned, and I guess it all worked out great."

"Oh, so you didn't go to Tech?" Andy asked.

"No, I graduated high school the year after Brent. We lived toge...." I said, then stopped, not quite sure how to continue. I might be sharing too much, I thought.

"You lived together? Okay, I'm lost." Andy smiled.

"Well, yeah, it's complicated, but basically, uh..." Brent said, then thought, before continuing, "It's odd. See, Jessie and I were both in the foster program together but we weren't legally related. We just lived under the same roof and shared foster parents, well, they adopted me, so..."

"So we were sort of like siblings, but we weren't. Our parents were great, though. Life was wonderful there. We weren't involved or anything, just really close and we enjoyed each others company until Carolyn screwed it all up for us." I grinned, and that got a laugh from all.

"Well, next time I'll know not to meddle!" Carolyn smirked.

"Oh that's okay Carolyn, all is forgiven. It worked out for the best. Besides, there's not going to be a next time!" Brent stated with authority.

We went over our planned study schedule and Andy would be able to join us, even though Brent and I were cutting out early today. This was not our normal study day for history, anyway. In fact, Wednesday was for classes we would not begin until Thursday.

"So! Tell me about the new brother!" Carolyn demanded.

"Well, all we know we told you this morning. We're supposed to be at the animal shelter to pick up his dog but we have to run by the Pet Mart first to get, well, dog stuff. That's why we have to leave today, Andy. We're getting a new brother, and who knows, Carolyn might be getting a new math student. Or nephew. Or brother, I'm pretty sure Mom and Dad Anderson adopted Carolyn while I was in the hospital."

"They might as well have. I pretty much moved in with them." Carolyn smiled.

"A new brother?" Andy asked.

"Yeah, Brent didn't wear our folks out enough. They found a little boy that needs help they are taking in," I answered.

"Hey! It was you that didn't wear them out!" Brent smirked.

"That's true. I was a good girl. An absolute joy to raise. Just ask anybody." I smiled. "Seriously, though, they are just wonderful people who help kids whose parents aren't able to, or are gone, like Alex's. That's our new brother. The world needs more people like them. We already have a sister and Carolyn volunteered to help her with math. She is, uh, well Sarah is precocious and adorable. She clearly takes after me." I smirked.

"So, if... was it Alex and Sarah? If they are your brother and sister... Uh, how do you, I mean, what do you two call each other?"

"Uh, husband? Wife? Honey? Sweetie?" I replied with a smile,

"Sugar? Snookums? Bossy?" Brent snorted.

"Sneezy? Sleepy? Dopey? Doc? My little man slave?" I added.

"See what I mean?" Carolyn chuckled.

"Yeah, you were right," Andy replied.

"Right? Why? What did she tell you?" Brent asked.

"Nothing, just that you two were the perfect couple."

"Awww, that's so sweet. Thank you, Carolyn," I said.

"And you that two get all mushy a lot," Carolyn snickered back.

We had finished eating and a glance at my watch said it was time for us to jet if we were going to get everything done. We said our goodbyes and hit the pet store.

Neither of us really enjoy shopping. Not the way Allison does, anyway, but we could have spent all day at the pet supermarket. They let you bring your pet in with you and we wished we had gone to the shelter to get Alex's pup before we came if only to have some general idea what size and age dog he was. Still, we were able to get dry food, canned food, dishes, a medium sized bed and pad, training mats and a mid sized pet carrier that would sit in the back seat of the truck. We also got some anti dander shampoo that was suggested when we told a helpful clerk dude about Allison's allergies. He also suggested bringing him or her to the groomers on site for a quick cleaning before we went south to pick up Sarah and meet Alex. This seemed like a good idea. We went to check out and I instinctively reached in my purse for my debit card, then paused.

"What's wrong, honey?" Brent asked.

"Uh, I haven't checked my account since the wreck."

"Oh, its full. More than full. No worries. Dad made sure of that while you were, uh, away but I can get this if you like."

"Hmm, no, that's okay," I said as I slid my card and was pleased it was accepted. "We really should talk about that I guess." I smiled.

We loaded what we had into the truck and hurried to the shelter. Brent drove and on the way filled me in that Ron had set up a joint account for us and that when we next went to the bank, I would need to sign as a signatory for it. While I was out, he dutifully kept placing my regular allowance in my personal account. Apparently, it was a way for him to tell himself I would survive and be back. Although I hadn't talked finances with Mom and Dad Anderson, Brent had. They fully intended to take care of us, same as always, until we graduated. When I finally checked the account later that evening, I had more money in it than I had ever dreamed I would have as a student. I told Brent I would move it to the joint and he told me there was no need. The Andersons were putting an equal amount in the joint to cover our living expenses anyway. I still am not sure if their generosity was their way of saying they loved us, or if they had such abundance that they just didn't really care about money the way everyone else does. Either way, I was grateful.

The folks at the shelter were waiting for us and happy to help us out. "Damita," as Alex had named her, or "Scruffles" as the shelter folks had taken to calling her, was a small to mid sized mixed breed that was as cute as could be. She was long and short like a dachshund, but black with tan spots on her eyes, and a tan belly. She had the cutest face, and wagged her black Pomeranian like tail on meeting us. It was impossible to tell what sort of dogs her parents were, or her grandparents, but she was just perfect. She had been fixed and had her shots, so we just had to sign a few forms and we were on our way. Her records had been recovered from her vet and showed her to be a little over a year old. Damita seemed frightened and confused at first, or maybe even sad, but took well to being on a leash. We put her in the carrier in the back seat, which was a nice fit and gave her room to turn around, but soon she was whimpering and I let her out to climb up front and sit on my lap as we drove. She became quite alert and inquisitive then, but still seemed confused, depressed and alarmed.

Damita enjoyed the pet store, but not the bath so much. Since she had liked riding up front, we picked up a couple of towels to keep hair and dander off me to facilitate her curiosity. She was good and we let her pick out a toy. She had the saddest stare to her eyes, like she was resolved to accept some sadness that had befallen her and was just trying to move on. She was not sure about us yet, but she liked us better than the shelter. She especially liked the treats the employees at the pet store plied her with for being such a good pup.

We drove next to pick up Sarah, and while waiting in the pick up line managed to get Damita back into the carrier. We waited about five minutes, slowly moving forward in the everyday after school traffic jam and the low throb of the diesel soon had Damita calmed down and asleep.

Sarah finally came out, looked up and down the line, saw the truck and got a look of pure joy on her cute little face. She came running towards us as I got out to greet her. This earned me stares from the hormonally charged seventh and eighth grade boys hanging around waiting for rides but I hardly noticed as I threw my arms around the Brat in greeting.

"Sissy! Why are you... I missed you!" she said somewhat awkwardly.

"Well, I missed you, too. That's why!" I replied, "Come on! Today's a day that you're going to remember! Its full of surprises!"

"You and Brent picking me up is the best surprise!" she exclaimed.

"Oh, I wouldn't be so sure, but seeing you is pretty awesome!"

A teacher came over to double check who we were so to be sure we were not kidnapping Sarah. Ron had called and cleared us both to pick her up. It's a shame we live in a world where teachers have to do that sort of thing, but she mentioned what a great student Sarah was and we were on our way quickly.

Sarah's next surprise was Damita. "You got a dog!"

"Yep, we sure did. Picked him up at the shelter about a couple hours ago. How was your day, Sarah?" Brent asked as we pulled out of the parking lot.

"It was good. I can't wait to get home though."

"Oh, why is that?" I asked.

"You know." She grinned.

"I know what?" I smirked back.

"About our new brother." She smiled.

Okay, so we knew Sarah was smart, sharp as a tack, but this surprised both Brent and myself.

"How, uh, how do you know about that?" I asked.

"Momma Allison is really loud when she talks on the phone, especially when she tells you that you're dumb. I was just acting surprised. I knew you were going to pick me up." She giggled.

"So, you heard all that?" Brent asked.

"Yeah. " She grinned.

"Well, how do you feel about it all?" I asked.

"You're not dumb! You're smart. You just got hurt and now you're better. You just have to get all the way better," Sarah exclaimed.

"No silly! She didn't mean it bad. She doesn't think I'm dumb, no worries. But I meant how do you feel about a new addition to the family?" I said.

"The group home sucks. He doesn't need to be there." She smiled.

"Well, yeah, we all agree on that. We all were there at one time or another. But, well, how do you feel about having a new brother?"

"I don't know. It's good, I guess. A little nervous maybe, I hope he likes us, but, I mean, the old brother seems okay. My Sissy likes him, anyway." She smiled as she playfully patted Brent on the shoulder.

"See? That's what we told Momma Allison!"

"I know. I heard it all. I was just at the top of the stairs. I was on my way to tell her not to call you dumb, 'cause your brain was bruised in the wreck and then stopped when I heard her tell you about him."

"Well, it will take some adjusting. He's been through a lot, but he's got a great sister that I know will help him out. Won't you? Like you've always had my back? Like you and I and Brent always help each other?"

"Of course! That's what family does!" Sarah replied. "We're all like your dog. We're all special. We're all mutts that were at a shelter because no one else wanted them or could care for them or would allow them, and now we have a great home. A forever home. Can I let him out of his cage?"

Sarah had just explained every feeling I ever had from my teenage years in a way more accurate than anything I could have ever said.

"Sure, but he's a she. And she is named 'Damita' and she is your little brother's pup. They wouldn't let him keep her at the home. And since Momma Allison is allergic, Damita is going to live with us. So you and your brother can visit whenever you want," I explained with tears welling in my eyes at the insight of my little sis.

"Hi, Damita. You're going to love your new home. Brent and Sissy are going to take great care of you," Sarah said as we turned into the gated community we had grown up in.

Damita responded by licking her face.

Brent's phone rang and the display told us it was Ron.

"Hey, Dad. You guys home yet?" Brent asked then, after listening a moment, said, "Great. We're just about there. We're on Walker now. We just came through the gate. Great. See ya in a minute."

"They just pulled in. Alex is really quiet and sad. I guess that's understandable after all he's been through. Ron says he seems nervous, too," Brent explained.

"Yeah, I know I was. I bet Sarah was, too. Weren't you, Sarah?"

"Sure. But we'll get him through it. Damita smells good."

"We just had her washed really good so Mom can be around her for a little while and so she would be all cute and stuff," Brent explained.

"Of course she's cute. All the girls in our family are." Sarah grinned.

We pulled into the driveway and Brent stepped down on the parking brake and turned the truck off. Even though diesels are quieter now, my truck was still the loudest thing in the neighborhood when we drove through. I've still got a bit of white trash in me that way.

We looked at each other, then at Brat, who was holding Damita and smiling.

"Let's go! I can't wait to meet him!" she commanded. We smiled and obeyed our little master.

Brent carried Sarah's backpack and she carried Damita who was turning her head to and fro, sniffing the air and looking confused about these unfamiliar surroundings. I gently knocked to announce us then turned the knob. The door opened and on the other side was Ron, Allison, and Alex, a short, handsome, skinny, dark haired boy with tan skin and sad brown eyes who, upon seeing Damita, fell to his knees in tears.

Damita broke free from Sarah's arms with a bit of squirming and leaped onto Alex's lap and began whimpering and licking his face as he threw his arms around her crying. We all stood silent as emotion washed over us all.

Damita squirmed away from Alex, took off like a lightening bolt, ran a great big circle in the yard yapping her head off, then ran back to him just as fast and leaped on him again. He giggled and laughed with joy and called out her name. This repeated several times as the boy and his dog were reunited. We were all teary eyed, but Brent and Ron were practically bawling.

Finally, Damita calmed down and stayed in his hugging grasp, panting and wagging her tail as she looked us all over as if to thank us for bringing her to Alex. No dog could have ever looked happier.

"Hi, Alex. I'm your sister, Sarah. This is your sister, Sissy. I mean Jessica. But you can call her Sissy. And this is your brother, Brent. They're married and are at college, but I'm going to live here with you. You're going to like it here. Momma Allison and Daddy Ron are great. You're going to love them almost as much as they're going to love you. The only real rule here is love each other. And if Allison or Dr. Ron ever get mad, just try to lay low," Sarah said with a smile as all of our jaws dropped.

"How did you know...." Allison began to ask but Sarah interrupted her.

"Come on. I'll show you your room and where everything is. Sometimes if you sit at the top of the stairs really quiet you can hear Momma Allison talk to Brent and Sissy at night on the phone and hear what they have planned. That can come in useful. Momma Allison is allergic to puppies, but Brent and Sissy are going to take care of Damita. And we go there all the time, and they come here all the time, so that's no big deal." She smiled and offered Alex her hand, which he took. They passed through Ron and Allison as Damita followed them, wagging her tail and exploring. Ron and Allison just stood dumbfounded at Sarah's reaction to it all.

Sarah began guiding Alex through the house and Brent said "We didn't tell her. She figured it out. She's uh..."

"She's really happy I think. A little nervous, but happy. She heard everything we said last night," I said.

"Do all our kids eavesdrop on us?" Ron asked Allison.

"Oh, dear. I hope not." She smiled. "Well, come on in. If Sarah ever brings Alex back, we will introduce you again."

We went to the den and waited. Allison had made tea which she and I served, and we sipped it while talking. The chit chat centered around how smart Sarah was and, after a long few minutes, they returned.

"There is wifi for computers. I hope you know Macs. If not, it's not hard to learn and Dr. Ron and I will show you. I can do most things but he and Momma Allison are really smart with them. This is where we usually hang out. So, what grade are you in?" we heard Sarah ask as they came back down the stairs from the hallway off the great room.

"Fifth." He smiled as they came in.

"Oh, cool. You'll go to school with me. But don't worry, you probably won't go until Monday. Momma Allison is going to spend the next couple days taking you shopping. She likes to shop. Don't you Momma Allison?" Sarah said, as if to cue us it was okay to talk again.

"Well I do, yes, but mainly I just like to make sure my kids have everything they need. I remember when Jessica joined our family. Well, Jessie, those were trips to the mall I think the store clerks are still talking about."

"I did need everything, that's true. And I didn't know what most of it was for." I giggled as I curled up next to Brent. "And I still haven't thanked you enough."

"Oh, pshaw! I can't take it with me," Allison replied.

Sarah sat beside Allison, and when Alex looked around for his place, Ron slipped a bit away from Allison and patted the couch between them. Alex sat there, a bit stiff at first but he soon relaxed with Damita on his lap.

Allison was nervous around Damita, and I tried to relieve her fear by telling her that we had taken her to the groomers and they had given her a good bath with stuff that was supposed to eliminate dander for a while.

Jessie92
Jessie92
503 Followers