All Comments on 'The Devil's Bargain Ch. 06'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Not going to lie, this feels like a *very* condescending take on "women."

I've been enjoying the story, but there were four or five moments this chapter that just yanked me out of it and annoyed me. (And please, the shit with the neighbor girl is just so obvious. Lighten your hand a little.)

SirColin77SirColin77over 1 year ago

Constantinople (now Istanbul). OK, so now the They Might Be Giants song is running through my head.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You've always been one of the best writers on this site. Your understanding of the dynamics of relationships makes the sex scenes much better and more interesting, and despite the number of stories you've written, you've never repeated yourself.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

@the comment bevor me ...

The Story is written as it is told by the main charackter ...

So giving some "condescending" perspective of his "version" of the Situations is something you can do to charackterise the main charackter in a great way ...

at least i see it this way ... and to some extent i see where you are comming from ...

But the way the Story is written i see it as charackterisation of the main charackter ...

AspernEsslingAspernEsslingover 1 year agoAuthor

Condescending? I wish you'd taken the time to point out some of these moments. If they're errors on my part, I might want to correct them. You're anonymous, so I can't contact you to find out what they were. You could contact me, though, and tell me privately, if you wanted.

I understand the emphasis on *very*, but I don't understand why you have written "women" (in quotes).

Comentarista82Comentarista82over 1 year ago

Wow. Some pretty major reveals here! Some aren't so surprising, while others are.

Way to introduce Dru and Geetha: Geetha's so incredibly likeable, although more "welcoming" than Dru in the sense Dan can really let down his guard with her. Dru's just fine and you portray him and Geetha as close to Aarti in appropriate ways that reflect that bond. I can't help wondering though if you're trying to worm Geetha into this somehow? She is a lot more like Dan, to be sure; she is not like a woman in the fact that she gets to the point and she's logical (far more so than most), although she's like a woman in the sense she plays intermediary well. Regarding Dan and Aarti's trips to the spa: I never thought I'd enjoy reading about something like that, nor that he would enjoy something like that.

Dan IS learning about how to handle women, and he shows this by how he handles Holly (he doesn't cave) by drawing a line; he does the same with Aarti several times. He furthermore avoids reacting on his anger the second time and manages a more level-headed approach. I really am enjoying this journey with Dan and Aarti, although it's obvious Dan doesn't buy into her "past lives" and the excessive "weirdness." Thing is though that while she thinks the cards and stars don't lie, at least the cards DO in terms of being manipulated. We can feel for Aarti too, though--it's overcompensating in the extreme because of guys dumping her--so it will be interesting to see how you handle it all, because Dan's quite invested in this and it seems every little bit raises the stakes for Aarti too. I can't foresee less than a supernova with her, even tearing Dan up in the process.

Wonderful tale so far and I've really enjoyed it. Can't wait for Ch 7!! 5

pk2curiouspk2curiousover 1 year ago

To Anonymous below . To confuse Dan's slightly sexist personality with being the point of the story . Is a mistake . And the comment about the neighbor girl ? " just so obvious " ? Lol . What's to lighten ? Lol . Am I reading a different story ?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

If this was real life I don't get why Dan is well in some ways just forgiving what he himself has seen as a person who has A. lied to him rather outright, B. shown she doesn't trust him at all and C doesn't respect boundries.

There's also the very weird thing that for some one who's supposably so perseptive he's blind to the crush the young lady has on him across the road heh. But we will see how this one goes it's a good read so far and I love that you actually post decent amounts in each chapter rather then what most seem to be doing of late and trying to string things out a page at a time... and that the characters are believable and Dan's actually some one with some what of a conscious.

TomSavageIsFakeTomSavageIsFakeover 1 year ago

On page 2 there is a typo, "tucking my cock into my pussy." -> "her". Also I don't see this as condescending toward Aarti. Perhaps that commenter also likes the occult and this struck a nerve? I feel some of the same feelings toward so many otherwise rational adults believing in god, jesus, etc. As Dan is maturing, maybe he'll be able to get past sowing his oats with Aarti. There's not going to be any perfect woman. If you combined Aarti and her sister, she'd no doubt (because she'd still be a human!) have some issues too.

You write so persuasively of a middle aged man's journey that I can't but guess that describes you too. I can see myself in this fellow's eyes in terms of his relationship with his wife and his not wanting to "hurt" anyone in his choices in life, but also feeling unsatisfied because he knows he is missing some things. It's Dan who needs to become more mature, Aarti is on her own journey. He can break the magical bond but how will *she* be able to move on - that's not Dan's fault. I also wonder what other aspects of Dan's life are being controlled by Tansa. Did she years ago introduce that darn dog? Also, if I was Dan I'd eventually want to try meeting women without his magical power - he should come to wonder if they won't like him for himself (similar to how the beautiful M-something wanted people to like her for what she was, not how hot she was).

mithanialmithanialover 1 year ago

I like that the Mc realized her beliefs were not so outlandish compared to his new understanding of reality.

ProgamermoveProgamermoveabout 1 year ago

Its interesting the direction this story is going in, I wonder if Dan will learn to value substance over style, or continue letting his dick make stupid decisions like going exclusive with a women he didn't know?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES