All Comments on 'The Devil's Bargain Ch. 11'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
MetadiMetadiover 1 year ago

I’m enjoying this story but have gotten to the place where I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop. Tansa is sure to make a reappearance and demand the year of service at some point.

Also, I’m not understanding why he’d use magic on women who he could be with via romance.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very much enjoying this story

Comentarista82Comentarista82over 1 year ago

I wondered how long it would be before Dan involved himself with Sue. You served us two twists with her: first, how she rocked that dress with how she looked; second, with how "practical" she is as a woman (kind of like Lisa in that way, but not overwhelmingly so). Then you had Aarti gush over Dan--but once more--Sue noticed how odd she was with her spiritualism; having her describe Dan so glowingly shocked me, as I wouldn't think the "broken heart" clause would carry over that far: you didn't describe it much via Dan, so couldn't see how all THAT got out. At least Dan paid some of it back by telling her about Bill (and so did Sue). However, unless you really draw it out with Sue and describe her further, I'm not sure how long that can last.

Pretty obvious Lisa enjoys her studies BUT she had some super-short relationships (and didn't sound satisfying at all). Then there's Dan weighing Holly--and once again--seeing Holly will never separate herself from the rat-race of chasing the promotion. It's really sad, but except for Lisa, Dan's not had a single truly fulfilling relationship yet, and that tracks with the "deal" with Tansa that I would expect.

Still rooting for Lisa and Dan. Dan's written off Brenda (despite how enthusiastic she sometimes is), because his only soulmate is Lisa and how well they mesh. For this installment (and I felt a bit tortured because of whatever the reason was for the delay), 5.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Honestly, not telling Josh the woman he was going to propose to has been cheating on him this whole time? That's not cool.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I like the way every relationship has a different feel to it. I also like the way this ability of Dan's hasn't corrupted him. He continues to move with care, consider his options, and think about how he's affecting these women as well as what they add to his life. He's a good guy.

RockyHorror_33RockyHorror_33over 1 year ago

I agree with Medati - he seems very impulsive with his quota. I'd like to see him try things au natural. He should have sufficient skill at this point to make any woman quite happy. It also seems like the zing part of the spell calibrates to the woman. It may be the best sex of the woman's life, but is the bar is low, that might translate from "don't like it much" to "I can tolerate it". Example: Alanna

TomSavageIsFakeTomSavageIsFakeover 1 year ago

I agree with Metadi that it's increasingly irritating that he won't have a normal relationship. He doesn't need these cheat codes, the magic. He'd be way happier in a normal relationship, because he is not growing much. And he could go back to some kind of relationship with Aarti if she grew up a bit, and/or made a big sacrifice to alliw Dan to be dating others (or Dan gives that up).

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Oh now, he did it again. Why using the spell on someone who is already falling for him? Is he still so unsecure? Maybe you could mention this. Nevertheless one of my favorite stories. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I am hoping I am not giving anything away, but it is becoming increasingly clear that the are no real magic involved here. All it was, was a burst of confidence provided by a psychological crutch, that the “magical phrases” provided. With his natural traits of honesty and empathy, it is no wonder that the MC is attractive to various women.

Dark_RavenDark_Ravenover 1 year ago

I tried to stick with this story even though I found most of it to be dreadfully boring. The fact that he uses the magic phrase every time a woman shows interest in him is eye-roll worthy. The story itself is just a long, boring tale of hooking up with different women. I skimmed most of the last 3 chapters, since everything was either same-old, same-old, or easily forgettable.

IMO, this story would have been much better if it ended with him not using the magic phrase on the 22 year-old neighbor and simply falling in love with her - the end. Even that wouldn't have felt very satisfying though, because the way she spoke was more like a script written by Mr. Spock than the way a 22 year old woman would talk.

Also, the main character seems to be kind of stupid by this point. He already knows that using the magic phrase too soon may lead to it being a waste of a wish (ie: the tarot card/zero trust girl). Yet he continues to keep using it before getting to know even the most basic things about the women (case in point: The real estate lady who has a daughter and also is not into sex at all). After reading this far into the story, I'm still ambivalent about the MC, not invested in him at all, can't picture myself as the MC, and am now starting to dislike him because of his stupidity with his wishes.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES