All Comments on 'The Devil's Bargain Ch. 12'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
Comentarista82Comentarista82over 1 year ago

Life hits hard, and it hits harder when something happens with someone the SECOND time around (Sue). The major thing is Dan's FINALLY reflecting on his choices and what he's put into them, as well as what he has (or hasn't) gotten out of them. A relationship has to be as equal for both as possible to work well, and if it isn't, it isn't a relationship. The BIG irony he didn't realize is that while he saw Sue fawning with her mom and knows he was fawning with his (although Sue did help him see he had to get some teeth with his mom and show her he was NOT her slave), he doesn't realize that he was and is effectively a SIMP during his marriage to Connie and now...with Sue. While he's learned to "let go" with Sue and cut his losses with someone like Alanna, he has NOT learned to do the same with Freya and his mom (anyone with half a brain knows once a dog has it, your only option is a major surgery or euthanization); with Freya, he needed to euthanize her on the spot, and so bury the major ball-and-chain-experience that Connie imposed on him (without asking him)--and with his mom, he should have just said "to hell with it" and put her into assisted living. Cold hearted? Nope...breaking the rest of the chains. Reason why Dan didn't do it is because (sadly) he still has NOT matured to the point to realize that honor has more than been satisfied and it's just time for him to have his life. About the only part of him maturing shows in him realizing he has only six "contract" opportunities remaining. He should also try one or two without any "contract" ties because he at least has learned enough to please a woman sexually without "help."

It fascinates me most that while the story states "Lisa had more presence," she also hugged Dan harder AND Paul did NOT stand out; Lisa may "like" him, but neither Sue nor Dan spotted anything exceptional: I'd bet you're trying to hide that Lisa is STILL carrying a torch for Dan and I suspect she's hurting for him in BC after his mom having a stroke. The thing is the story hints Dan will still go for Holly once she gets her next "promotion," but that would be too painful to read--because once someone is only motivated by promotions--they NEVER learn to "settle" or otherwise stop to smell the roses: the only person that possesses that balance is Lisa--and everyone else to date hasn't compared to her at all. Of course, we still have the likely outcome that Lisa "bargained" with Tansa too (the ONLY way that explains Lisa remembering the phrases Dan used).

Looking forward to the next chapter. 5

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This was a seriously depressing chapter as the last few have been.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I agree with comments by Comentarista82. AspernEssling has created a great story with an engaging plot and really interesting characters. I look forward to the next chapters. Probably at least 7 more chapters. Six more women and a year working for Tansa. I am really curious about his year working for Tansa.

I think the author is scripting a journey of maturing and personal growth of Dan. I suspect the author has Lisa as every reader’s favorite match for Dan.

I also think the author may have a little sadistic streak and when Dan has a second chance to mate with Lisa for life Dan elects to work off his year for Tansa to be free to be with Lisa. The assignment is to work for Holy as she competes to get her final promotion. Holy drives Dan to work the same schedule that Holy puts in and leaves no time for anything or anyone else. Holy wants the promotion and Dan. Lisa feels abandoned and Dan hates Holy and is in the same trap as with his wife and Sue. We’ll see.

cliqueggecliqueggeover 1 year ago

Im not smart enough to analyse the story - but Im smart enough to know I enjoy it - thank you - it is great - as usual.

cma68cma68over 1 year ago

I agree with cliquegge about trying to analyze (spelled properly!) your stories; every time I try to predict the future course of events you come up with something better and more convoluted. (Though, to be fair - I KNEW that Dean and Jazz had to end up together, and I still think you were wrong about Chris and Nina; he would/should have followed her to Phoenix).

To Comentarista82 - obviously you've never owned a dog (or maybe loved ANYONE). You don't just KILL your dog because he's become a little inconvenient. Hip dysplasia is not a life-threatening condition, and many dogs can live good lives with reasonable treatment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Since no other commenters said it, I suspect Sue's going to head to a doctor, get some bad news, get it treated in time and be very grateful soon. I sure hope things don't stay this dark.

ProgamermoveProgamermoveabout 1 year ago

Interesting outcome with Sue, in the fact that maybe Dan isn't the nice guy he thinks he is? Dude better slow down with the wishes lol

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES