The Divine Gambit Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I looked at Beth, who was just staring back at me. Surprising me, what was in her eyes didn't seem to be fear or apprehension. The bloodshot that had plagued her earlier seemed to have finally retreated, and she looked at peace with whatever decision I made. I didn't smell any fear on her, just an emotion I couldn't quite place. Adoration or longing, perhaps?

"Cynthia, I'm inclined to tell you to go to hell because all of this is insane. That's a six-hour drive. We won't be back today, and I have no idea why we're going. I'm figuring I don't have a choice, though, do I?"

She smiled painfully at me. "You do have a choice. You are the only one with a choice here, unfortunately. I am bound by procedure, my daughter as well, and I'd wager my life Beth is bound to you. She has to come, too. I would encourage you to listen to me because I can advise you well enough, but I am slightly biased." Her smile became genuine as she amused herself with the joke. "You can refuse, but someone more forceful might come along after us, and they won't be as polite. Your kind doesn't have a great reputation. I'll answer any questions you might have on the way."

"Yeah, that's what I figured." Beth was still leaning into me and staring at me when I looked at her. "Is this acceptable to you?"

She quietly responded, "I don't have anywhere to be or go. No one's going to miss me here." Her hand held onto my arm and gave no indication of relenting anytime soon.

That certainly wasn't the answer I wanted to hear. This girl I had barely talked to was fine being dragged across the country by three strangers because no one here wanted her. What a mess.

Turning back to Cynthia, I asked, "Do we need anything?"

"An ID would be useful."

Beth nodded when my questioning gaze fell on her. She probably had her wallet on her. "Then I'm ready to go now. No time to lose."

Cynthia took care of the bill, and I found myself again in Sam's car. A few moments later, we were parked in front of what I assumed was where she lived, and I found myself promptly shuffled into another vehicle, sitting in the back with a doting Beth wrapped against me while Sam took the passenger seat. As Cynthia started our journey, we were quiet. She had promised to answer any question I had but hadn't exactly prompted me to start asking. We had a long ride ahead of us, more than long enough to answer my questions. She seemed momentarily focused on navigating the car. Eventually, we made our way to the highway. Cynthia caught my eye in the rearview mirror as we snaked away from the city, through the suburbs, and into the wilderness beyond.

"James, I have my suspicions you might be a dragon."

~*~*~

AN: Thank you so much for reading all the way through! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Don't be hesitant to leave a comment if there's any feedback you want to share! If you can read this, there's another chapter in the submission process already -- keep an eye out for it.