All Comments on 'The Donkey's Midwife'

by ronde

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy7 months ago

Great story! Best vet stories I've read since the James Herriot books.

5

Davester37Davester377 months ago

I love it when a story makes me feel like I’m in a new place, and teaches me about it. I too, remember James Herriot’s classic vet tales, and I loved them, but the horse country of Central Tennessee is a different world. Thank you for taking me to visit. Thank you also for the charming story with the endearing, believable characters, and the seemingly flawless editing. That shows your respect for your readers.

Most of all, thank you for writing, and thank you for sharing your work.

Cracker270Cracker2707 months ago

I am not a vet but I have been blessed to have two very good vets as near lifelong friends. I have a picture of one with one hand up to his shoulder in a heifer and the other holding the sandwich that was his lunch.

A really good story very well told. Thank you

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc7 months ago

Another great one! 4.7*

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Ending totally ruined it.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I mean your writing is excellent as always but you spent three and a half pages talking about this horse owner and then bam some girls we had a passing introduction to is now the main love interest. Can't say I feel any sort of connection between the two "main" characters when their "romance" is half a page long.

ArdieffArdieff7 months ago

Pretty sweet ;-)

JoeMo1619JoeMo16197 months ago

As we owned a similar large stud farm I must state that even your vet facts had been right. Big compliment

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfire7 months ago

Very good tale that reminds me of long ago days when I briefly considered becoming a vet. Pulling a couple of calves and getting kicked a few times quickly put an end to that option! The switch in focus from Dora was good and more realistic for him but things went pretty fast after that point. A bit more exploration of their relationship would have been better. Finally, Sara versus Sarah made me laugh. We have some of each in our family so it’s sometimes hard to remember which spelling is correct. Very nice job.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I really like, and yes greatly appreciate this author.

Usually his stories really hold my attention. This one? Not so much. Still well written, characters fully developed, just plot allotment times was not so well balanced.

J6480J64807 months ago

Grand as usual mate

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Why did you spend so much time on the first woman and almost none on the one he wound up with? The story feels imbalanced. I hardly see the romance anywhere.

Ravey19Ravey197 months ago

You seem to be able to turn your hand to many backgrounds for your stories. Must admit that I thought we were going to get a mature romance story with so much attention on Dora and Randy which would have been a change then It suddenly switched to Julie and Randy. This part went too quickly and suddenly we were at the end far too soon but still great background and well executed. Still a 5.

WilCox49WilCox497 months ago

Very nice indeed. I agree with Ravey19 on your well-done backgrounds. Either you've got a lot of varied experience or you work hard at your research.

.

I didn't find the switch from Dora to Julie problematic the way some did. A little more characterization of Julie earlier would be nice, but it would also lengthen the whole story. As it is, it's fairly short and to the point. Nice job, IMNVHO.

.

I do wish you would watch some typos a little more closely--except "typo" isn't really the right word, I think. Plurals don't normally need apostrophes. You were fairly consistent on saying "donkey's" instead of the correct "donkeys". (In the title it's possessive, and "donkey's" is correct.) (I was a little surprised by "the farmer's are always more than willing"; you had it right in the previous sentence,)

.

As I said, a very good story. Much more detail probably would have bogged it down. Randy's intelligence and character come out well in his approach to Dora, and that explains a lot in the briefer discussion of his growing relationship with Julie. The nitty-gritty details of a large animal vet's work gave some realism, as well as being interesting to those of us who don't normally live with it. Definitely 5*.

Peapod41Peapod41about 2 months ago

Great yarn. Nicely drawn, believable characters, charming story about the everyday life of a vet.

11+.

Small niggle: Mr Apostrophe raised his ugly head when you inadvertsntly turned the plural

"donkeys" into the singular possessive tense

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userronde@ronde
Women tend to be the central characters in my stories, because I find their complex personalities to be fascinating. My stories come from my life experiences or the thoughts inspired by people I have met. I am an avid fan of history and especially the history of the America...

story TAGS