The Dragon and the Wolf Ch. 11

Story Info
The Dragonborn's adventures in the world of the Witcher.
6.6k words
4.68
1.7k
00

Part 11 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 02/01/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 11 - Friend or Foe

*****

We took a couple of days to ourselves after what happened, or that was the plan to begin with. We needed to as we had barely stopped since entering Velen. Spending a night on the ale in Lindenvale was just what the doctor ordered, and once they learned Geralt was a witcher, we ended up spending another day as he sorted out a contract, always eager to make a little more coin.

I ended up talking to a mature woman, who regaled me with a story of losing her manor as it was infested with monsters. Figuring it was something else Geralt and I could sort out, I agreed to help her. Geralt wasn't exactly chuffed that I'd agree to a contract, but as the one he'd completed hadn't proven that difficult, we rode off the next morning for Reardon Manor.

The manor grounds were only a short ride away, but Geralt was immediately suspicious as we rode the path, and brought us to a halt on the outskirts. "Trap ahead," he muttered.

"There is?"

"Aye. Best continue on foot so I can eliminate the dangers." As we dismounted and walked forward, Geralt set about disarming the traps, and it was obvious there were no monsters, or if there had been, someone immensely talented had killed the monsters then set the traps. The only people who could set such elaborate traps, and kill monsters, was a fellow witcher. That left me scratching my head.

Searching the manor itself only revealed traps and what looked like a homestead that had been abandoned for some time. Geralt always enjoyed sniffing out a mystery, and he was convinced that something was in the barn. More traps lay inside, though no sign of who might have been there, until we found a ladder and climbed it.

I had my sword in hand immediately as Letho turned towards us. "Wolf. Dragonborn." His eyes went to my sword. "You're not planning on doing something stupid, are you?"

"Depends on you."

He turned and stood up. He was an imposing man, even bigger than myself, arms like tree trunks. "Ain't here to fight you, Ragnar. Bygones be bygones?"

"Part of me should say no. Still pissed off about everything."

He nodded. "Understood. Wolf?"

"I agree with my friend here about being pissed off, but enough time has passed. And since you're here, I assume in hiding..." Geralt glanced at me. "Considering all the traps, Ragnar, it would lead me to believe his situation has changed."

Letho nodded, looking at me. "I'm no use to them, the emperor, anymore. They want me dead. Perhaps more than you both do." He gestured for us to join him by the opening. "Was working with someone. Think he's decided to get rid of me like the emperor."

"Going out of your way to make a long list of enemies, Letho," I stated, injecting a little humour.

He gestured with his head as at least six to ten armed men appeared, gathering in the middle of the estate. "Friends of yours?" Geralt asked.

"Friends of someone I thought a friend. I think we should say hello, find out."

Before either of us could say a word, he dropped down to the ground below. Surprisingly silent. Geralt followed him immediately, muttering to myself as I headed back to the ladder. I wasn't fleet footed like a witcher, bound to roll an ankle or just straight break my leg. By the time I joined them, the fighting had already begun, so I just unsheathed and started swinging. The mercenaries were abjectly useless, the weapons they using of poor quality, and none wore armour worth the name.

Checking the bodies for information, Letho finally explained what this was all about. He had been working alongside someone called Louis. It was a long and complicated tale, but the fact it ended in backstabbing and betrayal wasn't a real surprise. It was the type of people Letho had generally found himself working with.

Mounting up, he continued to explain to Geralt, though I kept back slightly, just keeping an eye on our rear. He was leading us towards a camp, and considering the area was thick with bandits, I did think that perhaps the area was crawling with people who would be looking for someone like Letho. The two in front had keener senses, but sometimes they still needed someone to watch their backs, just in case.

Turning off the main road, we crested a rise and approached a campsite. Dismounting a little way back, there were sentries carefully watching our approach, but once they recognised Letho, they seemed to relax, though weapons remained in hand. Geralt stayed next to Letho as I stayed half a dozen paces back, making sure I could see all the mercenaries.

The conversation... did not go well. In fact, it went so badly that, within a few minutes, blood was being spilled. Despite there only being three of us against their ten, we made short work of them, much like the mercenaries we had dealt with at Reardon Manor. Letho purposely kept Louis alive as the rest were killed without mercy, Letho looming over the man as he started to ask him a series of questions.

"Where is Arnout Vester?" Letho asked.

Louis looked from Letho to Geralt and to me, then back at Letho. He gulped. "Lindenvale. He's in Lindenvale with his men."

I thought Letho was going to kill him, but instead he stood up and walked back to his horse, Geralt following him without a word. I was tempted to just finish him off, but Geralt called out. "Leave him for the wolves."

I was ready to argue, but this wasn't my issue. So I left Louis to his fate, mounting up and following the other two, listening into the conversation between the witchers as Letho explained how he knew Vester and what to expect when we go there.

As we rode through the middle of the village, I glanced to see doors being shut, window shuttered pulled in, everyone getting off the road and out of sight. We rode to the other end of the village, where there were mounts that Letho recognised. Dismounting at the adjoining farm, the three of us approaching the farmstead.

The three of us stopped, looking at the building. "You two. Do not interfere, no matter what happens." He looked at Geralt first, who nodded, then at me. He shook his head at whatever question I may have asked. Geralt and I walked away though kept an eye on proceedings. Letho threw a bomb to attract attention, and soon at least ten men had emerged from the homestead. We couldn't hear the conversation, but after he took a crossbow bolt in the shoulder, he made short work of seven of the men. It was rather embarrassing, to be honest.

But someone got in a lucky strike, as he joined the rest on the ground. That's when we did make our move. Two of us, three of them remaining. Letho had told us not to get involved. Did I care he was dead? Not really, to be honest. But I wouldn't put up with disrespect, if that's what they had planned.

Vester noticed us coming and readied himself. "We have no quarrel with you," he stated.

"We know," Geralt replied.

"We don't want any trouble," I added, ensuring our hands stayed away from our weapons.

"Wise choice." He glanced at one of his surviving men. "Take his head and let's get out of here."

"No," Geralt stated, "Take his medallion. You don't need his head."

Vester looked ready to argue but did the sums. Two of us, three of them. And considering Letho had slaughtered seven of his men, with a crossbow bolt in his shoulder, led his mind to making the sensible decision. "Agreed. We will take his medallion and leave this shithole."

We stepped aside as they snapped the medallion of from around his neck. Mounting their horses, we watched them quickly disappear. Letho was a heavy bastard, and Geralt had a feeling not all was as it seemed. We dragged his body into the homestead and took a seat, waiting for whatever was to happen. I kept looking at Geralt, and he just told me to be patient.

The bastard woke up! Geralt seemed to understand what Letho told him, about the poison he had taken, but it had fooled everyone, which is just what he wanted. Needing somewhere to lay low, Geralt offered him the chance to go to Kaer Morhen. Letho wasn't convinced at first, but figuring it was safer than anywhere else on the Continent, he eventually agreed, Geralt finding paper and ink, writing a quick note he could pass to Vesemir, as the old man would be bound to freak out upon seeing him approach.

Finding Dolores in the tavern, I let her know that her manor was now clear of monsters and safe for her to return. She was delighted to hear the news, though as it was now late, she would start walking back the next morning. Geralt and I stayed at the inn, enjoying a few more tankards, agreeing to return to Crow's Perch the next morning to settle up matters before moving on.

"Novigrad?" I asked.

"We've investigated every rumour in Velen. So it makes sense to head to Novigrad. The idea was to find Triss anyway, so that'll make you happy."

"Missing Yen?"

He gave me a look. "Of course. Might need to pay a visit or two to a house of ill-repute while we are there. Particularly if you're going to be busy getting your end away with Triss. Shit, you'll be so busy doing that, I'll be doing all the work."

"I'll try and keep it in my pants some of the time."

He scoffed, took a swig of his tankard, then grinned. "You make her happy, Ragnar," he stated to my surprise.

"Well, I'm glad I do."

"I knew she nursed a little crush on me before you arrived. Once you did, I had no chance!"

"You had Yennefer."

"I did and I never forgot that. Plus, I've never looked at Triss as anything other than a friend. But once you appeared, you were the..." He trailed off.

"Were the what?"

"I was going to say distraction, but you were much more than that. She fell head over heels in love with you within days."

"I remember," I said softly, smiling at many memories made at Kaer Morhen, "I just hope she's okay."

"Crow's Perch then we go north. Hopefully Novigrad isn't a complete basketcase."

Mounting up the next morning, with a slight hangover, we headed straight for Crow's Perch. It took half a day to get there was always, and Geralt felt something was off as we crossed the wooden bridge. Dismounting once across, there was tension in the air that even I could feel. And then we heard the first screams.

Leaving our horses with one of the peasants, we turned left towards a trio of houses. Some of the baron's men were roughing up a couple of peasants.

"Hand over your fuckin' coin, you cunt!" one of them shouted, backhanding the man he was holding.

"What else you hidin' in there? Maybe some sweet little cunt we can make use of?" another stated.

I had my sword in hand without thinking. Glancing at Geralt, he'd done the same thing. Clearing out throats, the group turned towards us. "And who the fuck are you two pricks?" one of them asked, "Fuck off if you know what's good for ya!"

We struck without hesitation. Peasants leapt out of the way as Geralt and I slaughtered them. Three did manage to take out a weapon, but they barely had time to wield it before they joined their companions on the ground. We made sure they were dead before turning to gaze across the rest of the village. "Methinks the baron has disappeared," I stated, "He wouldn't have allowed this."

"No," Geralt stated, "So that leaves me wondering who is in charge and what we do now?"

"Cleanse Crow's Perch, Geralt. Without the baron here, these peasants don't stand a chance. I'd rather the Black Ones here rather than these arseholes."

He met my eyes, nodded, and we strode forward. Any man in uniform that approached us was cut down. When we heard more screams, that only attracted our attention, striding to see a group of men around the door of a house, roughing up a peasant.

"Yeah, fuck her. It'll do her some good!"

"We'll take care of pencil dick out here. Worthless fucker."

"I'm goin' next. Don't cum in the bitch."

"Anyone got oil? I'm goin' to fuck her arse!"

I stuck my sword straight through the spine of the first man, Geralt taking the head of the next. Blood flowed as we cut them down without mercy, before heading inside. Two were watching what was happening on the bed, cocks already out. We cut them down before we hauled the man off the woman on the bed. Naked as he was, he fell to his knees and begged for mercy, for his life.

I took his head.

The woman on the bed covered herself with the sheet. Geralt found a cloak nearby and carefully approached her, offering it. She grasped it with shaking hand. "It will all be over soon. I promise," he stated softly.

"What are you going to do?" she asked, voice aquiver.

"Kill them all," I growled.

We headed outside, noticing the crowd of peasants crowding around. "Return to you homes. We will notify you when it is safe," I announced. Noticing our bloodied swords and armour, they knew we were not going to harm them, but knew better than to argue. Once the area was clear of humans, Geralt and I shared a glance and began the walk up the hill. Crossing under the arch, there was no sign of any men waiting in the area between that and the next arch, but we could see people waiting by the big oak tree ahead.

Geralt and I strode forward confidently. There was no sign of the baron. Instead, it seemed like his sergeant was now in charge, as he stood in front of the rest of his men.

"Witcher!" he called, "Baron is here no longer. Rode off the other day to find a healer for the wife."

"I'm aware," Geralt replied, "I see things have changed since we were last here."

"What do you mean? Baron left me in command. Told the boys to set things right, put 'em in order, the new order."

"By new order, you mean murder, pillage and rape?"

"I don't give a flyin' fuck if you like it or not. So you've got two options. Turn around and fuck off, you and your friend there. Or you can do somethin' monumentally fuckin' stupid."

"Geralt?"

"Yes, Ragnar?"

"This cunt doesn't live beyond the next few minutes."

"Agreed."

For the first time in a long time, I used my Thu'um against humans, but I was far too full of rage to just use my sword. I only used Unrelenting Force, but that alone put the fear of god in some of them. We handled all the other men. I have no idea how many we put a sword through. One or two dropped their weapons and ran. We didn't chase after them. As for the big, brave sergeant, he picked himself up and ran into the building.

The ground was soon strewn with bodies. Most of them were dead. Those that still breathed would either be lucky to stay alive or would die sooner or later. Geralt and I stepped over them, approaching the stairs and carefully entering the door. We found him in the baron's old office, holding his sword up, though we could see it shaking.

"Cunts. The pair of you," he stated.

Geralt stopped and gestured. "He's yours, Ragnar. You've talked about doing this since arriving."

The sergeant was not talented. I toyed with the bastard, a cut here, a cut there. I would have settled for death by a thousand cuts, but once I had him disarmed and on his knees, I sheathed my sword and took out my dagger. Grabbing him by the hair, I tapped the tip of my dagger under his eye. "I didn't have much time for Strenger, but he wasn't an evil man at heart. He was a drunk. He was a bully. But he wasn't a complete piece of shit. You and your men, on the other hand. No fucking wonder Temeria lost if you're the type of man who fought for her."

"You're a mercenary. No better than any of us."

"That's where you're wrong," Geralt stated, "Ragnar fights with a code. He has morals. He fought and bled for Temeria. He is now helping sort out pieces of shit like you. Ragnar, I'm going to step outside. He's yours to deal with."

I heard the door close and that's when the sergeant started to plead and beg for his life. I didn't take any real pleasure... Okay, I might have taken a little pleasure. "I'm sure you're wondering what I'm going to do. Maybe I'll take your eyes? Maybe I'll take your tongue? Maybe I'll cut off your cock and balls and stuff them into your mouth?" I tapped the tip of the dagger under his eye. "Maybe I'll do all the above and really leave a message."

"Please," he whimpered, "I'll do anything."

"I always had a bad feeling about you and your men. I knew the baron was keeping a lid on your excesses. I just didn't realise what you and your men would be truly capable of once off the leash. I dread to think of what we would have walked into had Geralt and I arrived in another day or two."

I let him look at the tip of the dagger, watching his eyes move with the tip, before I stuck it under his jaw, his eyes rolling back as I let go of his head and let it smack on the floor. Part of me really wanted to make a mess of the body, but that would make me no better than them. I had done what I intended. Looking around, I opened the cabinet and took a couple of bottles of liquor before wandering outside, Geralt sat on a bench by the oak tree.

Walking back down in to town, most of the peasants were waiting to see who would reappear. We gestured for them to come closer and told them they would no longer need to live in fear. "So what do we do now?" someone asked.

"You have two choices," Geralt replied, "One, you all work together to keep yourself safe. There are plenty of weapons up the hill. Mind the bodies. How many of you can wield a sword? Fire a crossbow?" Around a dozen hands were raised. "Good. Then I suggest those of you confident enough start carrying them. No-one will miss these men for at least a few days. Once people come sniffing about, that is when you make your stand."

"What's the second choice?"

Geralt looked at me. "The baron was here on behalf of the Black Ones. I came from White Orchard before arriving. The captain in that area was an ordinary man. A peasant in a soldier's uniform. If you effectively invite them here, they will keep you protected and they are fair in their expectations. Bear in mind, I have no love for them. I fought them further south, but considering there is no lord, and no law, they might be your best option. I would suggest you discuss it amongst yourselves before deciding."

They decided quickly, before we'd even mounted up to leave, agreeing to invite the Black Ones to offer their protection. To keep them safe, we agreed to go towards their nearest small camp and report in the new situation. No surprise that, before we left, they thanked us for taking care of the baron's men.

"The Bloody Baron wasn't a nice man but he at least kept us safe, and usually left us alone," a man Geralt recognised said, "As soon as he left, that sergeant of his sent his men down here. First thing they wanted was women. Girls..."

"They're all dead now. And the Black Ones might be harsh, but they won't rape and murder indiscriminately," I stated, "My suggestion is to do as they say and you will find them reasonable. With any luck, you won't have to tolerate them forever."

Geralt and I led our horses across the bridge, mounted up, and headed south first. The nearest Nilfgaardian outpost wasn't too far away. Reporting in what happened, stating the baron had departed and his men had started to attack the peasantry, I was slightly concerned about how they would react. Thankfully, all they did was report on the changes in circumstances and that they would send a few men north immediately to ensure the situation didn't get out of hand.

With light fading, Geralt and I agreed to get to the river by nightfall, completing the journey north the next day. I was amazed at the number of refugees in camp, hoping to cross the Pontar, but the Redanians were only letting those cross with a pass, and were being methodical in who they let past otherwise. I remembered the line of people hoping to get into Oxenfurt, the desperation to get out of Velen and towards something approaching civilisation leaving a real air of desperation.

12