The Dragon and the Wolf Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As we had passes, we agreed to cross before stopping, and it was amazing the change in atmosphere as soon as we were across. We turned off the main road north and made camp, no tents required as it was a dry evening, only a campfire and a bedroll each, though made him laugh when I pulled out the bottles of liquor I nabbed from the baron's office.

"We did a good thing," I muttered, around three or four drinks in.

"Hmmm."

"You don't agree?"

"I agreed with cleansing the place of them. As you said, baron wasn't an evil man, kept them on a leash. And between the baron leaving and our return, I do wonder what they'd already done. Most of them deserved what they got. But trading them for the Black Ones..."

"I would have liked leaving them without one group or another lording it over them, but it's a fortified position, and someone was bound to show interest eventually. And, to be honest, better the Black Ones than some group similar to the baron's men."

"Thought you hated the Black Ones?"

"Got no time for the emperor, and there is an arrogance about them. I think they will be harsh but fair masters. And if they promise to keep the people protected, then that's all we can ask for right now."

"But you'll want to fight them again?"

"I wouldn't mind another tussle, but I don't know who I'd be fighting for yet."

"Radovid and Redania?"

"Don't particularly like what I hear about him, Geralt."

"Neither do I. But I've got this sneaking suspicion we'll end up dealing with his somehow."

We turned in early, aiming to be up and gone by the early dawn. It had been a long few days, and I slept like a log, only waking when Geralt gave me a gently kick in the butt, turning to see he was already up and dressed. We packed up camp and mounted in silence. I was used to it whenever I travelled with him. He didn't fill the air with useless words. If he had something on his mind, he'd tell me, otherwise we just rode along, staying sharp, ensuring we didn't find ourselves involved a situation not of our own making.

The change in scenery once across the river was remarkable. The war hadn't touched this side of the river. Instead of Black Ones or bandits, we generally only passed by Redanian soldiers, one or two making comment of Geralt. With all the rumours we'd heard, I had been left wondering how they would react to his presence. With the obvious distinctive look, wolf medallion, and two swords on his back, he stood out in a crowd.

The Free City of Novigrad was actually four small islands, all joined together by bridges, thick walls protecting them from invasion, only Farcorners with any real defences, though the civilians were still protected by two bridges that could be destroyed if an invading force approached. Approaching the southern outskirts of the city, we would have to cross a bridge before the safety of the city walls. Things looked as normal as they could but we knew appearances could be deceiving. We'd received word of what was happening in Novigrad and across Redania.

Horses were not allowed within the narrow streets of the city, leaving ours tied up alongside others, food and water being provided while we were away. I hadn't been to Novigrad in a long time, Geralt even longer, but we both remembered our way to Hierarch Square. Well, mostly. Only one or two wrongs turns being taken.

What we found upon our arrival there confirmed the rumours...

"Our Novigrad -- shining and brilliant! Pearl amongst cities! Cradle of the Eternal Fire! Yet it is here that darkness raises its hideous head! A deceitful doppler doubling as commander of the Guard! A band of charlatans, diviners and witches poised to pinch your purity and prosperity! The time has come for this to end! For us to cast off evil! Do you renounce evil?!"

"We renounced evil!" the crowd around us chanted. I shared a concerned glance with Geralt. I had no idea who the man was talking but he spoke the words of an insane preacher.

"Do you renounce evil?" the man cried again.

"We renounce it!" the crowd chanted as one.

"May the Holy Flame of the Eternal Fire complete this cleansing, this purging of pestilence into purity! How are we to fight pestilence that changes form?! None can be certain of his father, brother or bride! Look upon your neighbour, for he too could be a doppler! Will we submit to uncertainty?! Will we allow monsters and charlatans to overrun our city?!"

"No!" the crowd cried.

"May the Holy Flame of the Eternal Fire complete this act of cleansing!"

There were two pyres. And a person attached to each stake. The one to the left was a young woman. The one to the left was a man. Geralt recognised the woman. "Felicia," he murmured. He made to step forward, probably to try and save her. I grabbed his wrist. "Ragnar," he growled.

"You involved yourself, the only thing we will be doing is fighting our way out of Novigrad."

"What if it was Triss up there?"

"I'd kill everyone here. But it isn't Triss up there. She's smart. She'll be safe."

We could only stand back and watch as the two pyres were lit. The screams of Felicia Cori echoed in the silence, only the crack and pop of the fire soon to be heard. The other pyre was lit, the man to be revealed as a doppler. Geralt muttered to himself again, stating he hoped Dudu hadn't met the same fate as whoever was at the stake.

Only when the two were quite clearly dead did the crowd slowly disperse. The witch hunter in charge simply gazed upon the crowd with a look of smug satisfaction on his face. The urge to stride over and knock it off was near overwhelming, but just like I'd told Geralt not to get involved, I knew I'd have to follow my own instructions. As the crowd dispersed, we both went with them, making sure we didn't stand out too much.

My only concern now was finding Triss, and hoping she was still alive.

*****

A few years earlier...

"It won't be that bad, Ragnar. In fact, I know you're going to love it. A castle full of sorceresses, most who I know you will want to bed, and most will want to bed you in return. In fact, I encourage both."

I met her eyes as we rode in the carriage. "And you tolerate that because?"

"One, I love you. Two, it's to our advantage."

"Your advantage," I retorted, though with plenty of humour.

"No, our advantage," she said softly, gently digging me in the ribs, "You get to enjoy the company of numerous beautiful women, and I get what I want out of it. Before you ask or say anything, I just want to make sure we, as a group, don't end up doing something monumentally stupid. Yes, we've taken control and established the Lodge, but we must remain careful. Enough people already fear us, tolerate us at best. Mages, I mean. We do anything to upset that balance..."

"But you want power and influence, right?"

Triss smiled at me. "Of course, Ragnar. A couple might not be happy you're attending at all, being a man, but... Well, I think once they actually get a look at you, their complaints will cease. I may have..." She cleared her throat. "Enhanced your reputation as well."

"I'm seriously here to fuck them, aren't I?" She looked at me, almost pleading with me to understand with her eyes. I relented easily. Always did with her. "You know I love sex, but even I have limits, Triss."

She took my hand and cuddled into my side, resting a hand on my chest. "I know I ask a lot sometimes, Ragnar. Keira won't stop talking about you, obviously."

Chucking, I admitted, "I still don't know who seduced who in the end."

"I don't think it mattered once it happened. She's certainly more accepting of my ideas when back in Vizima and around Foltest, at least. She doesn't realise, of course. Thinks she's doing the dirty behind my back."

"I do feel a little bad about it."

"You're a good man at heart, Ragnar." She paused before asking, "Do you like her?"

"If you mean 'Do you like her naked and being inside her?' then yes, I won't deny enjoyment in that part. But she's a little eccentric, for my tastes."

"Most sorceresses have their eccentricities, Ragnar. I have mine, after all."

"Yours are cute and one of the reasons why I love you."

She looked up, one of those dazzling smiles of hers immediately appearing. "Love you," she whispered before kissing me, resting her head against me again as we rode along in silence.

The castle at Montecalvo eventually came into view, the home of Philippa Eilhart, the de facto leader of the Lodge of Sorceresses, as it had been her planning and vision that had led to the overthrow of the old Brotherhood. And as everyone would be meeting at her castle, it was a sign of her own power and influence over the Lodge. As we approached, I sensed a few nerves from Triss, wrapping an arm around her, and that alone seemed to calm her down.

Triss had already filled me in earlier on the details I needed. The sorceresses all knew who I was. I'd met most of them at one time or another. She knew my arrival with her would earn disapproval, but as I was her lover and also bodyguard, almost refusing to walk around without my presence at times, she would insist my presence was necessary. As I was completely non-political, I had no interest in any of their scheming anyway. They could do as they pleased, long as Triss wasn't harmed.

It was late afternoon, dusk, by the time the carriage pulled into the courtyard of the small castle. Stewards were ready for our arrival, one stepping forward to open the door of mine, stepping down and rounding the carriage, opening the other door and assisting Triss down. Escorted through the main doors into the foyer, that is where we were greeted by Philippa Eilhart, with most other sorceresses already having arrived.

"Triss, delighted to see you," Philippa stated, stepping forward to greet her, a kiss on either cheek. Then she added a whisper, "Triss, we agreed no men were to attend."

"Philippa, this is Ragnar Dragonborn."

To my amusement, the attitude changed immediately, her yellow-brown eyes looking me up and down, an approving smirk appearing on her lips. I'll admit, there was something about her, not just her obvious beauty, that I found attractive. I adored ambitious, intelligent women. Add to that beauty, and I was a lost cause. I just wanted them. Triss knew that too, which is how everything between us worked at moments like this. Otherwise, I was loyal to Triss, but with sex came influence and power. I was her pawn. I knew that.

Philippa offered her hand, which I brushed my lips again. "Delighted to meet you, Miss Eilhart."

That made her chuckle. "Ah, this one is well trained at least, Triss."

"Philippa, don't mock him."

"A mere jest, Triss. And Ragnar, I will admit I'm not the only one who has heard many stories about you."

"Do you believe everything you hear, Miss Eil..."

"Philippa. Please, we are all on a first name basis here." She stepped back and took a breath. "Now, as I said, none of us was expecting someone like you here."

"Where Triss goes, I go. She is under my protection. She is powerful in her own right, but you mess with her, you mess with me. And I will not let anyone, and I mean anyone, cause her harm." I think half of them swooned then and there, because not only was there a subtle threat, but I made sure I let my tone know how much I cared for her. Philippa considered my words, but before she could say anything I added, "I am not here to interfere, Philippa. Can I be honest?"

"Of course. I'd prefer it."

"I don't care what schemes you might have on your mind, what plans you might create. You're all talented, intelligent mages, and you have your own ideas and ambitions." I shrugged. "Do what you wish. Just try not to make a mess of the power and influence you now wield. You denigrate men for being fools. Shit, part of me agrees with you considering I've seen men make the worst decisions possible more times than I could count. But you've only just gained this power for yourselves. Don't let it go to your head. Not a warning. Just a friendly piece of advice."

Philippa glanced at Triss. "Those words from him or you both?"

"Ragnar is his own man," she replied, nothing but an innocent smile on her face, "I'm here because you invited me, and I choose to be here. But Ragnar is right about one thing. He is my bodyguard, for want of a better description."

"And lover?"

"When he's not my bodyguard."

"You don't trust us?"

"I wouldn't be here if I didn't, Philippa. Ragnar insisted on joining me. And I just can't say no to those beautiful blue eyes when they're pleading with me."

Philippa met my eyes. Holding her gaze, I could see many others may have wilted under hers. I simply returned a grin. Like everyone, she did have to look up to meet mine. Then a slight grin of her own was returned, which surprised me. I'm sure even Triss didn't expect it. "Will you be wishing to remain in the room while we discuss matters, Ragnar?"

I glanced at Triss. Her eyes said everything. "No. If Triss trusts you enough, I will do the same. I'm not here to step on any toes. Considering what you might be discussing, I offer you all the protection of the Dragonborn for the duration of the meeting."

Now they all swooned. They didn't need a man for their protection but they certainly appreciated the offer, noticing many of them had slowly but surely approach as we talked. Philippa smiled, thanked me for the offer, though didn't state it was accepted, and before I knew it, I was being introduced to all the other sorceresses. Most of them were utterly gorgeous. I knew some of them may have used magic to enhance their beauty, but I didn't really care. And while I thought they were gorgeous, I received plenty of smiles, a few blushed when I took their hand and kissed it, and I was fairly sure there were one or two subtle offers immediately.

I ended up spending three nights at the castle with Triss, as they held a few large meetings, and a series of smaller meetings between old friends, colleagues and even allies. I found myself talking to all of them at one time or another. I was captivated by Francecsa Findabair, an elven woman who was absolutely stunning. One of the most beautiful women I'd ever met. We talked in private more than once, and she was free in sharing her life, the decisions she had taken, and what she planned for her own advancement. I generally listened in silence, just gazing at her face. A pair of beautiful blue eyes... I made her blush more than once, and I felt the need to apologise each time.

Didn't sleep with her though. In the end, at that first true meeting of the Lodge, I didn't sleep with anyone. I got to know them all, that's for sure, but while there were subtle offers, I spent each night in the quarters I shared with Triss. If anything, I was left thinking that Philippa, despite her own apparent sexual desires, may have warned the rest off. Triss certainly suggested that on the second night as we lay in bed after having made love.

"I think she might just be a little interested," Triss whispered.

"But I thought she preferred women?"

"She'll see you as a pawn to use for her own ambitions. And she'll use sex as a way of assuring your loyalty. Anyway, sexuality is fluid. She might claim to prefer women, but someone like you, Ragnar? They all want to sleep with you, I know that already." Triss paused. "Would you have sex with her?"

"Yes," I replied immediately.

Triss kissed my cheek. "Honest as always, Ragnar."

"Can I be honest? I'd sleep with all of them here. Except Yennefer. Easy to figure out who she is, obviously."

"If not Philippa..."

"Hmmm... If not you?" That made her giggle, giving me a gentle shove, before cuddling into my side again. "Francesca. Two reasons. One, she's gorgeous. Two, she's elven. There's something about the elves of this world... Incredibly sexually attractive."

"Do you want to know what's been discussed?"

"Better you don't tell me. Long as you're safe, that's all that matters to me."

"We've already agreed to meet once every couple of months. Might not always be here. Might not always be in person. But now that we've all met in person, got to know each other a little, and agreed common goals, we know that staying in contact would be best."

"I assume I'll be joining you if it's in person?"

"Of course."

"Okay."

That made her happy. So happy she soon straddled my lap, leaning down to kiss me, as her body slowly started to rock. The only movement I made was to caress her cheek, running my fingers through her red hair. Her eyes didn't look away from mine the entire time. The love in them was... something I'd rarely seen from anyone before.

The only thing I could hope is that, with all the ambitions she and they had, and the machinations being put in place, that she would remain safe throughout.

12