The Dragon and the Wolf Ch. 12

Story Info
The Dragonborn's adventures in the world of the Witcher.
7.4k words
4.88
1.5k
00

Part 12 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 02/01/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 12 - Bittersweet Reunion

*****

I held up the looter by the collar. "Where is she?" I roared into his face.

The fear in his eyes would have made me laugh at any other time. "I swear I don't know, sir. We just know she's not here. So the house was easy pickings."

I dragged him closer to my face. "Well when did she leave then?" I growled, "And who's responsible for all this mess? Do I need to make an example of you and your friend here?"

"Ragnar, they're just looters," Geralt stated.

"She's... She's missing, Geralt." Then I sighed and let the looter go, hearing his body slap back on the ground. "Go. Just go. Get out of here."

The two looters eventually got up. The one I had been holding helping up the other, who I'd knocked out. "Look... Um... Sir..." I met the eyes of the one I'd just been interrogating. "If you're sorceress friend has managed to escape, try the Putrid Grove."

I glanced at Geralt. "Never heard of it."

"We only heard the name ourselves. Place of freaks and oddities."

"How do I get there?"

The two looters shared a glance. Realising I might just start swinging again, they shared a nod. "Ask a beggar. Or spot yourself a thief, follow him... Beggars and thieves gotta pay tribute to the King of Beggars. Word is they do it in the Grove."

"She must be in hiding, Ragnar. Only reason she'd be there instead of here," Geralt stated.

"Temple Guard has been cracking down on everyone," the looter added, "Mages are fair game right now."

"That's right, and that's the just start of what the Eternal Fire will eventually consume," stated a voice, turning around to see the same man who'd led the burnings in the square approach, flanked by a pair of witch hunters. One of the looters stated the man approaching was called Menge. Name meant nothing to me. Before he talked to us, he had the looters arrested and taken towards the 'confession chamber'. Even I didn't like the sound of that, the two looters begging for mercy as they were hauled away by a pair of regular city guard.

Once we had privacy, Menge turned his attention to us. Or, to be accurate, Geralt. "You know a bat can sniff out a moth a mile away?"

"Got nothing to do with their sense of smell. It's about their hearing," Geralt retorted, earning a smirk from yours truly. Loved it when he got sarcastic with people like Menge. I had him figured out already.

"Well, well... Man knows his bats. Here I thought you only cared about monsters. But I know your trade. Spotted those yellow eyes amidst the rabble in the square right away. Did you notice how much common folk love flames? The Eternal Fire will consume them all one day, one way or another."

"You're all fucking insane," I stated, earning a withering glance from him.

"You, witcher, I will issue a warning. Novigrad is no place for your kind. Sooner or later, you will cause trouble. But times are different. The city is under my protection. Mine and the Eternal Fire's."

"What about me?" I asked.

"Don't know who you are. But if you're with him, no doubt you're trouble too. So the same warning applies. Novigrad will soon only be home to righteous folk professing the one true faith in the Eternal Fire."

"So you're choosing to rule through fear with a slice of supposed religious fervour? Gotcha," I stated.

"Nothing I can do to you now, but just know that I know you're here. One misstep, one error. You'll make a mistake, it's inevitable. I'll be the first to learn it. And when I do, it'll be standard procedure. Like for every other magic oddity who dares taint this city's air." Smug bastard then just grinned at us. "Be seeing you."

Once Menge and his guards disappeared, Geralt suggested we search the place for clues. I didn't like going through her things but the urge to find her overwhelmed any other thoughts. I let him do his thing, though I certainly recognised more than one thing. The perfume she always wore. An amulet that Geralt sensed was magical. And also a particular necklace I'd given her so long ago now. I made sure to pocket that in the event someone else decided to turn up and take it.

We agreed to find the Putrid Grove immediately. Finding ourselves talking to beggar after beggar, some were lame, some were crazy, some were war veterans. Those I asked particular question, wondering if they were lying. Those I knew were not I gave more than one coin, shaking their hands, wishing them well. "You served?" they would ask quietly.

"Long live Temeria," I would whisper back, "The lilies will bloom and fly once again." More than one shed a tear as I took their hands in mine and wished them well. It wasn't just their bodies that had broken. Many had lost their minds. All had lost their spirit. I knew I was one of the lucky ones having lived through the same as them.

But none of the beggars proved helpful, either too afraid to help, while others were surprisingly brave, suggesting the 'King of Beggars' could fuck off and do one. I'll admit that Geralt and I both chuckled more than once, hearing a beggar puff himself up, all brave, when stating such ideas like the King shoving coppers up his arse, one at a time.

Giving up on the beggars, Geralt suggested we observe the square and look out for thieves. I knew he meant a pickpocket, as no doubt the market was full of them. We had been watching for all of twenty minutes when Geralt gave me the signal, following him as he followed the thief. He led us on a winding path, and I was soon feeling rather lost, keeping Geralt in sight as I knew he wouldn't lose the thief, not with all his tracking skills and senses.

I swear the thief must have known, leading us on a circuitous route of Novigrad, but he eventually arrived at a door, knocking and whispering a few words, handing over a bag of coin, before he turned and disappeared. I let Geralt approach the door first, to use his usual charm to get us through.

Neither of us knew the password, so they demanded coin to enter. It wasn't a surprise, and we certainly had coin to spare nowadays, so we handed over what the guard demanded before he finally opened up and let us in. Of course, as soon as we were inside, he demanded we hand over our weapons as well. Neither of us liked the idea of being anywhere unarmed, but particularly in such places where we didn't know the lay of the land, nor who was inhabiting such land. But if we didn't, we'd just be told to piss off, so we handed them over and pointed in the direction of the King of Beggars.

There was a smell about the place that certainly earned its name. And the desperation in the air was something else entirely. The King of Beggars may have made his home there, maybe, but there was nothing around to show that the tribute he took had contributed to a better life for anyone.

Walking inside the house, there was a bald man behind a desk and a red haired woman before him. I recognised the voice before she even turned around. I came to a stop, Geralt glancing back to look at my face. I needed a moment to compose myself. Our presence was noted by the King, who Geralt announced as Francis Bedlam. No idea how they knew each other. Didn't rightly care at that moment, my eyes only for one person in particular.

I had thought and even dreamed of our reunion. I was realistic enough to know it wouldn't be like something people would hear in Dandelion's sonnets. And while I wouldn't say Triss was cold, she didn't exactly come running up towards me as I slowly walked towards her. Instead, she turned and watched me walked towards her. I wanted to do many, many things to her then and there. But when I leaned down to kiss her, she turned away. I stopped before I kissed her cheek.

"Oh..."

"Not the fairy tale you were hoping for, Ragnar?" Bedlam asked.

"Know who I am?"

He laughed. "Course I fucking do. Heard all about you from her, of course. But my people have been observing you and your white haired friend since you crossed the bridge." He turned to Geralt. "I was wondering if you would track me down, witcher. Your tall and lumbering oaf of a friend here does stand out a bit, though."

Triss had turned away from me by now, so I took a few steps back and leaned against a wall, folding my arms and listened to the conversation. I picked up a few things that interested me as they conversed. Definitely a few things worth remembering for later. I had arrived simply hoping to find Triss, while helping Geralt find Ciri. But just like Velen, Novigrad was a mess of conspiracies, and I was already left feeling we were going to find ourselves involved in them.

"City Council is a puppet troupe with the hierarchy of the Church of the Eternal Fire as its puppeteer. Until recently, that is, when Radovid and his witch hunters took the reins. The semblance of power don't interest me."

"Hang on," I said, "I thought this was still a 'free city'?"

He laughed at me for that, so that answered my question. I guess Radovid had enough influence that he didn't need to actually fill the streets and walls with his soldiers. "One day the so-called free city of Novigrad will be truly free. But before that can happen, we gotta rid it of superstition. Farting around about the hallowed essence of the Eternal Fire. Nonsense for kiddies."

"Couldn't agree more," I stated. I already had an intense dislike for the Eternal Fire, my night with Tamara notwithstanding. But she was young and impressionable. I just hoped she would eventually see sense. I had a feeling anything I would have said during our night together would have fallen on deaf ears. So I just enjoyed a night with a beautiful young woman and truly wished her happiness after all she'd been through.

"Crowd in the square seemed to agree with every word Menge said," Geralt retorted.

"Any crowd of rabble will cheer to the stench of burning flesh. But one day folks will understand the Eternal Fire's naught but a leash around their necks. They call this place the Putrid Grove. But it's the rest of Novigrad that's putrefied. This here's the last bastion of normality, sanity, reason."

I didn't quite believe that, but anyone willing to stand up to Menge, the Eternal Fire, and by extension, Radovid, might prove to be a worthy ally. Bedlam continued to talk about his grand vision and ideas for Novigrad, and his hatred for the Eternal Fire was obvious. The man was a criminal to the bone, but I was left thinking he was like the baron. In it for himself, but he wouldn't leave piles of bodies in his wake to achieve his aims. Like always, no black or white, just differing shades of grey.

We were eventually dismissed by Bedlam, Triss turning and walking by me with nary a word. I followed her immediately, gently grabbing her by the wrist and turned her to face me. "Triss..."

"I didn't want you to see me like this," she whispered. Lifting her chin with a finger, her eyes glistened. "Definitely not like this."

"We went to your home," I said softly, "You weren't there."

"And you naturally worried."

"I should never..."

"I needed time, Ragnar. After everything I put you through..."

"You never had me do anything I didn't agree to." I paused and asked. "What happened?"

"Any idea of starting a new life went up in flames. I think that's a rather apt way of describing it." She glanced to my side. "Good to see you, Geralt."

"You too, Triss. Do you two need some time?"

I wanted to hug her, but had a feeling she'd push me away. So I removed my finger and stepped back. Now was not the time for the reunion we may have both dreamed about. "I have things to do. Life isn't easy here for anyone, particularly mages, so I do what I can to make ends meet." She looked back at me. "You're welcome to join me, if you'd like."

"Before you go, one questions, Triss. Have you see Ciri?"

I did enjoy seeing Triss flummoxed. She was rather cute when caught by surprise. "What? Ciri? Here? When? Why?"

I couldn't help chuckle. "I take it that's a no, you haven't seen her?"

"Of course not, Geralt. If I had seen her, I would certainly tell you."

"Rumours were that she headed in this direction. We've just spent weeks in Velen on her trail. All signs pointed to her crossing the Pontar and making her way to Novigrad. Rumour was she was coming to see you. But if you haven't, then she's been waylaid or something else."

"You know I'll help however I can when it comes to Ciri. But... I have my own commitments first."

"I think you need to do that and speak to him," Geralt gestured towards me, "So I'm going to have a wander, look for signs, hopefully find an old friend or two. Ragnar, the Kingfisher Inn on Hierarch Square. I'll take a room there. If you return and I'm not there, either wait for me or use that xenovox we both still have."

Once outside, Geralt headed off in the opposite direction. No idea what he planned to do, but considering he was getting a little desperate to find Ciri, for which I didn't blame him one bit, I knew he'd use all his considerable skill and wits to find at least something. As for myself, I stayed by Triss. She was still completely standoffish, but at least we talked. She was miserable, I knew that much already. And she was afraid. Triss was rarely afraid, but there was no missing the fact she was terrified of what was happening to her fellow mages. And there was no doubt she thought the jaws of the trap were enclosing on her, slowly but surely. I would have offered my usual words of protection, but I had a feeling... It just wasn't the same...

What I knew is that she wasn't blaming me for a second, which left me with a real sense of relief. But our last parting had not been a happy one, and though we still loved each other more than anything, it had been a long and difficult half a year for both of us. So I figured little gestures of how much I still loved her would help. Such as retrieving a package of goods she had ordered that had been thrown in the river. Diving into the dirty, ice cold water wasn't something I'd normally do, but the smile I received when returning with said package was worth it.

She finally relaxed, slightly, and we discussed the situation, at least in Novigrad. After what happened at Loc Muinne, mages had apparently fled to the seven winds, but many had come to Novigrad in the hope of safety and security. Obviously, that was proven wrong. Slowly but surely, the influence of the Eternal Fire had spread, as had the claws of Radovid and his supporters. Despite being a free city, the influence of Redania was pervasive.

I finally understood just how bad things were for Triss when we approached a warehouse near the fish market. A man, introducing himself as Brandon, had hired Triss to clear out a rat infestation. Triss couldn't meet my eyes as they discussed the details of the job. Only when I realised there was a good chance of her getting fleeced did I speak. "Half now, half when the job is done," I demanded.

"Ragnar!" Triss hissed.

"Look, you're who you are. He knows this. And I bet he'd love to have the job done for free. So, half now, or we walk."

Brandon was smart, handing me a small bag of coin that I gave to Triss before we handed inside. She tried her best to remain 'angry' with me, but when she did finally look at me, she returned a slight smile at least. "Thank you. Hard to trust anyone nowadays, and considering my circumstances..."

"Hate to see you taken advantage of, Triss."

"Yet I..."

"Let's set the traps and talk about it all later."

"Okay. Look for evidence of rats. You know, droppings or holes where they might slide in."

It wasn't a particularly difficult job, and once the incense was in place, Triss and I gathered near the entrance. Now that we had a moment of privacy, we sat down on a crate. Resting an arm around her waist, she immediately cuddled into me. I sighed with relief, and didn't dare look down for a few seconds. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

"Not your fault. We had to do what we did. Missed you like crazy though."

"Bet you haven't been alone the entire time though," she retorted, thankfully with plenty of humour.

"I haven't. Thought of you all the time... When I was alone."

"Quite the fall from grace, isn't it? Advisor to King Foltest, one of the most important if not respected women in Temeria. Now resorting to catching rats in a granary."

I lifted her face to meet mine, finger under the chin again. "I just wanted to see you again," I said softly, before I caressed her cheek. When her eyes closed, and that slight smile appeared, that I had seen nearly every day for years, I knew everything was going to be okay in the end. As we looked at each other, we heard the rats start to flee the granary, not that either of us really cared in that moment. I would have picked her up and carried her, anywhere away from Novigrad. I would have asked, if not demanded the Divines themselves take me home as long as she was with me.

"Well, well... Our lovebirds having themselves a chat instead of working?"

I glanced to see Brandon walk in. And I knew what was going to happen next, as a trio of witch hunters appeared through the same doorway second later. "Ragnar, they're..."

I stood up and liked the gulp Brandon made as he was no doubt immediately reassessing some the choices he'd made in his life up to that moment. "I know exactly who fuckwits like these are, Triss. Already dealt with one too many for my liking."

Brandon found his voice. Even a little bravery. "My friends begged me to notify them if I encountered a mage, sorceress, what have you. Didn't have the heart to refuse..."

I unsheathed my sword, though kept the tip pointed down for now. "Now, now. Looks like your friends are a little late to the party. Rats are gone. Job's complete. So what you're going to do is hand over the coin owed to us. Then your three witch hunter friends are going to stand aside and let us walk out."

"And if they don't?"

"Well, it will go something like this. I ignore you, as you're not worth my blade. So what I do is go for that big fucker in the middle. A flame spell, just enough to put him on the back foot. Within the next second, I put my sword through his gut. Triss, meanwhile, will be wielding her own flame spells, but she'll be smart enough to stay back while my sword gets bloody."

"Of course, Ragnar," she added, no doubt wanting to laugh.

"Next is dipshit number one to the big fuckers right. I'm thinking a cut from hip to shoulder. But any sort of cut will do. Then it's dipshit number two to the left. I'll just stick my sword through him and be done, and I'll forget all about them within the next five seconds." I looked back at Brandon. "Still refusing to give us the coin?"

Brandon was smart enough to get out of the way as I leapt into action. Happened pretty much how I envisioned. Big fucker went down first. Didn't cut the second from hip to shoulder. Timed it just right to cut his throat instead. Third was being distracted by Triss and her flames, so I cut him from hip to shoulder instead. I made sure I finished the three off before I turned back to Triss. I must have had that look in my eyes she'd only seen a few times, her hand immediately finding my left.

"Easy, Ragnar. They're dead now," she said softly.

"Where is he?" I growled.

"Fled outside."

The idiot no doubt expected to see the witch hunters. When he saw me walked towards him, bloodied sword in hand. I have a feeling he might have almost pissed himself. He held up both hands, then collapsed to his knees, begging for mercy. I'd seen too many supposed big, brave men do that recently. I knocked off his hat and grabbed him by the hair, enjoying the cry as I put the blade of my sword to his throat. "Please don't," he whimpered.

"Why? What has she ever done to you? She was doing you a favour, and this is how you repay her? Is that what I'm to expect from the people of Novigrad?"