The Fall of York Ch. 58-62

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

While the ladies busied themselves with last minute preparations on Millie's wedding dress, Lawrence walked over to the Croyden's house. After a brief conversation, Jacob left with him dressed in his uniform.

They walked down to the lakeshore and waited for the Americans to reach land. The boats seemed to be rowed very slowly. With one small cannon I could put a quick stop to this second incursion into York, thought Lawrence.

"It's another invasion, sir," stated Jacob, idly kicking some stones into the water.

Lawrence glanced at him and then realized the young man was very ill at ease. "You have a lot of mixed feelings right now, don't you?"

"That's a heavy ship, there. See how low it floats in the water?"

Lawrence peered out at the boats. "The larger ones all sit heavy. I suspect they're full of troops again. Ah, here comes a boat."

"Have you been on many ships, sir?"

Lawrence kicked a rock into the water. "Yes. I never liked the navy much. Crowded ships that stink of urine and excrement. The food goes bad very quickly and navy officers seem to take it as matter of fact that once you fall overboard you're likely dead. I suppose it's because so few sailors can swim."

"So that's why you joined the army?"

"I joined the army...I joined..." he hesitated and thought over his answer. He'd joined the army because he had nothing else to do but become a wastrel or a fop. The excitement and danger filled the time, when he had craved something to fill his time. Now, having Abigail in his life, he had other priorities and other needs. Yet, if he hadn't joined the army and things hadn't gone as they did, then he would never have met Abigail. "I suppose I joined because God had put a Lawrence Orr sized hole right there for me to fill. And now...and now that hole stands beside Abigail."

"I think I understand, sir. At the time it seemed like it was your place, your fate. Now that I'm to be married to Millie everything just seems right, even if parts of it are so wrong. The world would seem so alien and devilish if I was apart from her." Jacob picked up a flattened stone and skipped it across the calm lake waters.

They stood silent for a few more minutes and then hailed the boat as it drew near. Reverend Strachan rushed up to join them and they could hear an officer mutter from across the water, "Oh God, not him again."

There was a brief exchange once the boat reached shore and a Captain disembarked with a squad of soldiers. The officer ordered Strachan, Lawrence and Jacob to wait where they were and then waved a blue flag at the ships. Lawrence spied a number of other boats filling with soldiers and officers.

"Whatever you have to discuss with their commanding officer, Mr. Orr, can wait until after I've talked with him," said Strachan as the boats approached. Lawrence nodded in reply.

At last, the boats reached shore and soldiers and officers disembarked. Strachan strode purposefully toward a General and began haranguing the grey-haired man.

"I'll go to your church shortly, parson. Now go away!" Lawrence heard the General say in an angry voice.

Ignoring Strachan's protestations, the General strode toward Lawrence and Jacob. "I was informed that you wished to speak to me regarding one of my soldiers." He eyed Jacob with contempt.

"Sir, I am Major Lawrence Orr, retired, now a magistrate in York. This soldier was captured by me upon your last visit, but was grievously wounded. My wife and I returned him to health and here he stands before you, fit. Now, he has fallen in love with a young lady in town and they are to be married this afternoon and you are welcome to attend. We wish you to ensure there will be no disruption due to the unfortunate timing of your second invasion of York."

"Glad to meet you, Major. I have no problem with one of my soldiers taking one of your local girls as a wife and I shall issue orders that the wedding party is not to be disturbed. However, at the end of the service he is to report for duty and we will not be bringing his bride with us when, or if, we leave."

Jacob cleared his throat. "General, sir? My year of service ends today, so I don't need to report after that. And I'd like my pay before you leave York. If you're not willing to escort my bride and I back to the United States, then I'll have to find another means of getting home."

Lawrence was shocked by the familiarity and disrespect in Jacob's words and manner, but the General seemed all too used to it. "Soldier, I am extending your year of service to two years and you will be paid out at the end of that two years."

"No I won't, General, and I want my pay now!"

"I can have you put before a firing squad, son. You should have learned by now to do whatever a General orders you to do."

Lawrence interrupted Jacob's reply. "General, perhaps I should inform you that Jacob has given me his parole. So he is of no use to you as a soldier." And don't ask me exactly what the promise I asked of him was, Lawrence prayed.

The General's eyes narrowed. "Sir, if you have his parole then you are still effectively in the war. I will simply have you arrested, unless you choose to release this soldier from his promise?"

Lawrence instantly regretted playing that bluff, but had no choice now. "I will not..."

"Wait!" spoke up Jacob. "I'll fulfill my obligations. General, as a soldier I have no choice but to report to you as you ordered. Please don't take this gentleman prisoner."

"Jacob..." Lawrence began.

"Agreed!" declared the General. "I'll see you in the evening then. That should allow you some time with your new bride, following the service. Now, for other matters. Major, was anything stolen from your home upon our last visit?"

"Why no, sir."

"Then I have nothing to return to you. You are dismissed." The General strode away, followed by a gaggle of officers and soldiers.

Lawrence waited for the Americans to be out of ear shot and then, "That was very foolish, Jacob."

"I wasn't about to have you taken from your wife and home, sir. Besides, I only signed up for one year and that ends today. By night time, I'm no longer a soldier and I don't have to follow that windbag's orders." He glanced at Lawrence and chuckled. "I don't think he was planning to pay me whether my service ended now or in another year. We've lost a lot of militia and regular soldiers right before battles because the officers wouldn't pay us."

"Son, with the way your mind works you should have been in the legislature, not farming."

Jacob laughed heartily in response, causing some of the American soldiers nearby to cast suspicious glances his way.

The entire story is completed and a portion will be posted every couple of days.