The Fan Trap

Story Info
A common interest in Star Trek becomes much more.
6k words
4.73
13.6k
38
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

There's a saying that birds of a feather flock together. There's also a saying that opposites attract. It's hard to know one's correct. In the summer of 1978, Noelle Silver and Greg Daniels discovered that it's a blend of both.

Noelle's order was always the same, one slice cheese pizza, small caesar salad, and ice water. It was an order Wilfredo was happy to fill but teased her about. "Always the same, always eating alone," he would sputter while waving his Italian arms in wild gestures.

Wilfredo owned and ran the pizzeria down the street from Noelle's apartment. He was a big man with dark, thick, curly hair and a handlebar mustache. His constant smile gave him away as a friendly and funny guy. The mix of his character and the delicious food gave the restaurant a reputation as a great place to eat.

He was one of Noelle's first friends in Cincinnati. She had recently moved from Baltimore and was the only African American woman working at the lab. Driven to demonstrate her knowledge and skill she worked long hours. By the end of the day, she was tired, and stopping for pizza was easier than making dinner. It was also entertaining to watch him go on about how busy he and his wife were, or how the city tried to shut him down or why he was so big working over a pizza oven in the middle of summer.

She found a table with two chairs and was halfway through her meal when Wilfredo came up to her. "I'm having a private party and I'd like you to come."

Surprised at the seemingly randomness of the statement Noelle responded with an inquisitive, "Oh?"

"Yes, I want to make changes to my menu. I have some new items that I'm unsure about. I want people I trust to come, taste and tell me what they think. It'll be free. You just come and eat, mingle and maybe meet someone you like."

Noelle was surprised at the invitation but excited by the idea. She'd never been to a food tasting before and was honored that he thought to invite her. A social function would be a nice change of pace from working or sitting home. "Sure, that sounds great, I'd love too."

"Good, good. Be here about six Sunday."

"I'll be there."

"Wonderful."

***

A woman was standing at the door of Wilfredo's Pizzeria. Noelle guessed she was 25-26 years old, about the same age as herself. "Hello, you must be Noelle," the woman greeted while extending her hand.

"Yes, I am."

"I'm Marcella, Wilfredo's sister-in-law. Come on back I'll show you to your table."

The restaurant was busy. With the number of people sitting or mingling around she assumed every table was full. She knew some of the faces, Anna-Marie, Wilfredo's wife, was there talking to a tall man and an Asian woman. Samantha and Christopher, Wilfredo, and Anna-Marie's kids were set up at the pinball machines.

Marcella led Noelle to the same seat she was at when she had gotten the invitation to the tasting. There was a white man about her age with a wavy shag haircut already there talking to a couple and the next table. "Here you go," said Marcella, "you'll be sitting with Greg."

Before Greg could say anything Wilfredo burst from the kitchen; aproned and perspiring. "Noelle, Greg. Greg, Noelle. Both of you come in here and eat by yourself. It's a total shame, so today I made sure you won't be alone. And besides, I think you both like that space show. The one from ten years ago. Space Trak or Star Train, something like that."

Anna-Marie called him over before either Greg or Noelle had a chance to react.

The woman at the next table, who was very attractive despite her thick glasses, leaned over, "That Wilfredo thinks himself a sly old cupid."

With a nervous laugh, Noelle said, "Yes I guess so."

"Don't mind him, be honored, he only looks out for the people he likes. I'm Lisa by the way."

"Noelle, nice to meet you, Lisa."

"This is my fiancé Doug." The man sitting with Lisa said hello.

"And this is Greg," Lisa motioned her hand towards the man who still hadn't had the chance to speak.

Greg smiled and said hello as his eyes wandered cautiously from Noelle's curly black hair to her dark brown eyes and finally to the yellow top that showed off her toned stomach. She hadn't dressed thinking she was getting set up but was relieved that she still felt presentable.

Anna-Marie shouted to get the crowd's attention. "Ok everyone thanks for coming. We have five different dishes Wilfredo is thinking about adding to the menu. We are going to pass them out one at a time. Please take the scorecard that is on the table, rate, and comment on each dish. Based on your comments we will decide if it's going on the menu."

The first dish was fried calamari, with marinara sauce, lemon wedges, and aioli. Noelle sat silently unsure of how to start a conversation under such circumstances. Greg eventually spoke, "I'm just glad Wilfredo didn't set us up on a blind date, those make me so nervous."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, I'm always afraid she's going to hit me with that stick."

The joke was perfectly timed and well-executed. She couldn't help but laugh. Greg laughed as well indicating that the tension was broken. "What do you do for a living Noelle?"

She swallowed some great tasting squid then said, "I work over at Barrett Laboratories."

He jumped in before she had a chance to elaborate. "Oh yeah, you're doing a bunch of anti-viral stuff over there, right? Experimenting with Neuraminidase Inhibitors and some plant-based stuff."

Noelle was impressed. Usually, she had to spend several minutes explaining what Greg knew immediately and accurately. Before she could respond he continued. "That's some really exciting work. You must've double-majored in Bio and Chem."

Now Noelle was taken aback. When she tells guys that she works in a lab they assume she's the secretary. When she corrects them they seem turned off by her level of achievement. This guy immediately assumed she was a scientist and was impressed by it. She started to get the feeling that there was something different about him. "Are you a detective or a stalker? You figured out a lot with just a single answer."

Greg laughed, "No, no neither. I'm a high school science teacher for the Cincinnati School District. I try to keep up with current science, especially the stuff that happens locally."

Noelle was impressed yet again. She had always found teachers noble. They were selfless, patient people with the skills to cultivate successful minds. She was attracted to men that have a capacity for caring. Maybe Wilfredo knew what he was doing when he put them at the same table.

The next dish that came around was escarole and cannellini beans sautéed in extra virgin olive oil & garlic over penne pasta. It was just as tasty as the calamari. As they ate Noelle questioned, "I assume Wilfredo was referring to Star Trek when he said we liked the same TV show. Are you a fan?"

"Yes. I was a teenager when it was first on TV. I fell in love with it and haven't stopped since. How about you?"

"I didn't see it until it was in syndication. I was in college and at a point in my life where I was very open to the messages the stories sent. That's when I became a fan."

Greg nodded his head, "Is that what you like about it, the social commentary?"

She rarely had an opportunity to have a serious conversation about Star Trek and was excited to do so. "Yes, that's part of it. But more that the stories provide an optimistic vision of the future. That no matter how crazy today's world is, it will get better and we as people will get better too."

Greg had an engaging look on his face, "Wow, that's very profound. Well said."

"Thanks."

"You know it's on UHF-17 every night at ten."

"Oh yeah. By the time I get home and settle in I've just enough energy to watch it before I fall asleep," Noelle explained as plates of fried jalapeños were put down in front of them. "How about you, what do you like about it?"

"I like the characters. The characters are cool not because of their looks or wealth or social position, but because they were very good at their jobs. You don't see that very often and I think that it sends the message that being smart is cool."

His answer would've come across as cliché, however, as a high school science teacher it made total sense, and she could tell that he was being genuine. Before trying a jalapeño she asked, "Who's your favorite character?"

"Wow, that's a hard one. I mean I like a lot of the guest stars. The female Romulan commander from the Enterprise Incident was amazing and T'Pau from Amok Time was great. But of the regular cast, it's probably Scotty. He treated the Enterprise like a daughter. Whether it was attacked by Klingons or invaded with Tribbles, Scotty always made sure that his beloved ship would be ok."

Like the food Wilfredo was serving, Greg kept impressing Noelle. From his comments, she surmised that he liked successful women, and caring for others. Those were qualities she frequently looked for in a man but rarely found. This uncomfortable fix up with a white stranger was turning into something else.

The fourth dish was a grilled chicken florentine topped with spinach & provolone. Before they started Greg asked, "How about you? Who's your favorite character?"

"Spock. Definitely Spock. You mentioned the guest stars. Usually, they're the alien outsiders making observations about the human race. At the beginning that was Spock's role, but he became more than that. His Vulcan blood made him an outsider but his human blood made him part of the team. He is the perfect metaphor that we are all different but we are all human. Plus I think Leonard Nimoy is a brilliant actor."

"Wow, another profound analysis. I don't know what to say."

"Oh, I can talk about Star Trek for hours, but we can change the subject. Do you like sports?"

Greg shook his head, "You know what they say 'Star Trek fans are lousy sports fans'"

"Why do they say that?"

"Because they're always part of the away team."

Noelle laughed. Caring, emotionally intelligent, and funny. This guy was checking all the boxes.

The last dish was a selection of Italian Cookies. The two continued their Star Trek conversation while finishing them and filling out the scorecard. Several of the guests started to file out and Noelle thought she should too. "It's getting late, I think I'll call it a night."

Greg took the last swallow of his cookie. "Can I drive you home?"

"No, I live just a few blocks up."

"Then can I walk you home?"

It was an old fashion gesture but Noelle found it sweet. Her dark brown eyes sparkled and with a little nod she said, "Yes that would be nice."

On the way out the door, they thanked Wilfredo and Anna-Marie for a good time. Wilfredo grabbed Greg's hand and shook it vigorously. "You're going to walk her home? That's good. I knew you two would hit it off."

Anna-Marie hugged Noelle, "That's my husband, cook, businessman and mastermind matchmaker. You two have a good night."

They returned the gesture and stepped onto the sidewalk. Noelle pointed in the direction of her apartment and they started walking. She realized how much she had enjoyed the evening. She hadn't had a date go this well in a long time. Technically it wasn't a date but it certainly felt like one, good food, stimulating conversation and now he was walking her home.

They walked silently, each noticing the beautiful summer moon and a cool soothing breeze. After a block, Greg spoke, "So Kirk and Bones are in a restaurant and see a man choking. Kirk says, 'Bones, that man is choking! Do Something!' McCoy says, 'Damn it, Jim, I'm a Doctor not a... oh, yeah right.'"

Noelle snickered with genuine humor. She enjoyed the joke but liked that Greg could make her laugh even more. "Nice, that's two Star Trek jokes."

"I have a bunch."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, what does a Romulan frog use for camouflage?"

Knowing this was going to be a zinger she grinned and shook her head.

"A croaking device."

Greg kept things rolling, "What gym do the Red Shirts work out at?"

Still giggling from the last one Noelle just shrugged her shoulders.

"At the 'He's Dead Gym'."

That one made her stop. She bent over a little bit and held onto his forearm until her laughter subsided. When it did she looked up into his green eyes. "That was a good one. I'd love to hear more but unfortunately, this is my building."

He looked past her at the marble steps and decorative vestibule of the three-story brownstone. "Okay then, mission accomplished I've gotten you home. It's been fun."

"Yes it has," she said softly.

"I'll like to do it again."

"Me too."

Noelle thought she saw a twinkle of excitement in his eye as he asked, "Could I get your number?"

"Sure." She reached into her handbag and scribbled her phone number on the back of an old receipt before handing it to him.

"Ok, then awesome. Have a good night." He smiled as he took a step backward.

Noelle could feel herself grin. "Yes, you too."

In quiet excitement, she made her way up the steps and he started walking back the way they came.

Later Noelle switched on the TV and settled onto her couch to watch Star Trek. Her apartment seemed small, still, and lonely in comparison to the fun company she had earlier. As the opening theme rolled and the Enterprise whizzed across the screen she thought about Greg. He was probably in his living room watching the same thing.

She liked him. The fact that he was white created a newness and curiosity to her feelings. She didn't have a hard-and-fast rule about not dating white men. She had been around plenty of them but had never dated one. She didn't dislike them, they were just never on her sensor screen.

She wondered if he felt the same way. Had he ever dated an African American woman before? Was it new to him too? If he hadn't, did that make him nervous? Did it make him excited?

Either way, her interest in Greg was higher at this point than most men she dated. Maybe because he was funny, or because he was intelligent or that he was interested in her as a person. Maybe it was the mix. She didn't know but she hoped to have the opportunity to find out.

***

Tuesday evening Noelle walked into her apartment to a ringing phone.

"Hello."

"Hey, Noelle, it's Greg from Sunday evening."

She grinned to herself. How many other Greg's does he think she knows? Or that she would forget who he was so easy. "Hey, Greg how are you?"

"I'm good thanks, how's work been?"

That simple question impressed her. She was very invested in her career but no one ever asked about it. Boyfriends, parents, siblings, friends they never seem interested in her job. This guy, who she had only spent a few hours with, was asking about it. "It's been good, we finished up our last strain batch and we're going to start recording our results."

"I'd love to hear more about it."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, I was wondering if you were free on Saturday."

Excitement percolated into her voice. "I've got nothing planned. What do you have in mind?"

"Well, actually there's a Star Trek Convention at the Yeomen Hotel on the other side of town. Leonard Nimoy, Matt Jefferies, and D.C. Fontana are all going to be there."

"Sure that sounds exciting."

"OK great. I was thinking I could meet you at your place and we could take the train so we don't have to worry about parking."

She was sure he could hear her smile through the phone. "Yeah. Yeah, that's a great idea."

"Ok terrific. It starts at ten. How about I meet you at your place about nine?"

"Yes, that sounds good."

"Ok, I'll see you then."

"Yeah, sure thing."

***

Greg arrived at her building that Saturday morning. He walked up and rang the bell for her second-floor apartment. About a minute later Noelle stepped out. She looked striking in an emerald green top with dark gray bell-bottom pants. The colors were a great accent to her smooth even skin tone and the pants showed off her curvy hips.

He looked better than she remembered. He had a sexy grin that paired well with his deep green eyes. He was wearing a short-sleeve shirt that drew attention to his long strong arms. She had to resist the urge to give him a hello kiss. "Are you ready to go?" He asked.

"Definitely."

The walk to the train stop didn't take long and they were there a few minutes before the train was supposed to leave. Noelle placed her token into the turnstile but it wouldn't drop. She tried a second and third time with the same result. Noticing her predicament Greg said, "Here try mine."

His token wouldn't work either. "It must be broken," he said looking around for a staff person to help.

Noelle bit her lip, wondering frantically, "What should we do? We're going to miss the train."

Seeing no one around Greg grabbed Noelle by the waist and picked up her trim 5'3" frame. She let out a 'whoop' and a giggle as she realized he was lifting her over the turnstile. When she was safely on the other side he hurtled over it himself.

Noelle was laughing at the silliness of such a juvenile move. "I can't believe we just did that."

Greg grabbed her hand. "Come on, let's hurry!" They ran together and made it onto the train just as the doors were closing.

They settled into their seats, both breathing heavy and snickering. Noelle had known Greg to have a good sense of humor but what just happened showed that he could be spontaneous, random, and fun. Hopefully, the rest of the day would be just as fun. The train ride didn't last long and soon they were at their stop.

The convention was a menagerie of activities laid out in the three large ballrooms of the hotel. The Pine Ballroom was set up as a lecture hall for all of the guest speakers. The Saldana Ballroom was an art exhibition. Craftsmen and professionals that worked on Star Trek were there with original pieces from the show. There were also artists selling Star Trek-inspired pieces. The Quinto Ballroom was full of vendors selling toys, t-shirts, books, and all sorts of memorabilia.

The event was fertile ground for Greg and Noelle to get to know each other. Walking through the art displays was a great backdrop for inspired conversation. There was a booth giving out prizes in a trivia contest. This was a fun completion between the two with Noelle beating Greg by a single question. For their efforts, she won a copy of a Leonard Nimoy record album and he won a Star Trek comic book. They also met a fascinating organization of women that were writing original Star Trek stories and publishing them in what they called fanzines.

It got to be later in the afternoon and the two decided they should get in line to see Leonard Nimoy's presentation panel. They thought they had gone early enough and were surprised to find about a hundred fans already waiting. About half an hour later the doors opened and everyone hurried to find seats. Noelle and Greg ended up about ten rows from the stage and just left of center.

Over the next twenty minutes, the room reached its seating capacity, everyone eagerly anticipating their beloved Vulcan. Noelle was one of those individuals. She was about to see her favorite character from her favorite show live and up close. She realized that she would've missed the opportunity if Greg hadn't invited her. She looked over at him and could tell he was excited too. Having him here to share this moment only made it better. She was about to say as much when the lights dimmed.

Leonard Nimoy burst on to the stage with energy and enthusiasm. Both Greg and Noelle could tell that he enjoyed being there and interacting with his fans. He told jokes and funny stories from the set. It didn't take him long to get everyone in the room laughing and thoroughly entertained.

About a quarter of the way into the panel Nimoy mentioned his music career and joked about the album he'd recorded. Noelle realized that he was talking about the album she'd won at the trivia contest. "This is what he's talking about," she whispered to Greg.

12