The First SaR Mission Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I suppose that there is another reason, too, although, probably, no one thought of it at the time. We Weres, wolves and others want to be accepted into the world. It has gotten to be too small of a place for us to hide. When mundane humans start to become aware of us, we don't want their only knowledge about Werewolves to be what Hollywood has fed them for a hundred years. I, categorically, deny that a Werewolf has ever chased a young woman, in a nightgown, with a flashlight, through the woods, in the middle of the night and then, eaten her! Heck! We're only about three-fourths of the way through the year and Chicago has had three-thousand attempted murders, already, this year, and five hundred of those died. I will bet you, a 'dollar to a donut,'' that, not one of them, not one, was eaten by a Werewolf! We want people to know that, just because, we are capable of being dangerous, does not mean that we are a danger to them. Rabbits, deer, maybe, but, not to people.

"A Werewolf that would attack a human is usually referred to as a 'rogue'. If there was a rogue on the loose and it became known within the Were community, there would be dozens if not hundreds of Weres coming from all over to hunt that rogue down and make him disappear, permanently. I think that it was mentioned, we 'police our own.' Our justice is applied to Weres only, but it is swift and severe. We do not tolerate any Were besmirching our character. Hollywood has a lock on that job. We will not permit one to put our pack... our family in danger."

Landen: "Ms. Warnock, your passion is remarkable."

Warnock: "Thank you... I think."

[06:17, Wednesday, on the ridge]

Grace: "Harry, Bobby... wake up!"

Grace is shoving Fontain to wake him...

Fontain: "Wha...what's wrong?"

Baxter: "What?"

Grace: "Wake up! You have got to see this!"

Sleep filled eyes slit open, pause then snap wide...

Baxter: "Oh, God!"

A tufted sea of stark white cotton blushed in tangerine, edged in gold, lies below them; seemingly close enough to reach down and touch. An angry yellow-white giant half risen through the cloud thrusts forth a halo of golden spears.

Fontain, Awed to the point of forgetting himself: "I've trod the high untrespassed sanctity of space, put out my hand, and touched the face of god." †

Baxter: "What was that?"

Grace: "Harry, that was beautiful. What was it?"

Fontain: "Oh. Sorry. I... It's, just the last lines of a poem. One that I suppose that every pilot knows, but none will admit to knowing."

Grace: "Well, I definitely want to hear the rest of it, sometime."

Fontain: "Yes..."

A minute later, as the three cats stand and stretch...

Fontain: "That was definitely not a long enough 'cat nap,' but we had better get started on the trek out of here before the wind comes up. I don't want to have to fight it all the way back to camp. As best as I can make out, it looks like this cloud layer is below our path for most of the way home. Do you all want to keep those ponchos on or leave them behind?"

Grace: "I think that I am going to leave this one here. Maybe we won't need them."

Baxter: "Yeah, I agree."

Fontain: "I'll tell you what let's do. Let's stuff everything that we are leaving into the packs. We'll pile the packs up next to the radio. As expensive as that thing has got to be, I have to assume that they will retrieve it, one of these days. By helicopter, I hope! They can pick up our trash then. I don't want to be the one to trash this place out."

"It occurs to me, though...I guess that we should take those locator beacons back with us. The trouble is I'm not sure how."

Baxter: "I got that one! They're small. I'll, just shift and rip the Velcro collar off of the ponchos. We wear the collars with the Beacons clipped to them. My cat's neck is bigger than mine is, so, I can put the collar on loose and sort of 'grow into it'."

Grace: "I knew that there was a brain up there, somewhere."

Minutes later three black shadows walk single file casting long, sinuous shadows across the cloud tops.

Bonner: "Radio, ops, Our "black ops team" is headed for home!"

Jack: "Ok, everybody! I'm sorry to bring the Q and A session to a close, but, the sun must be up on the ridge, so, the search teams need to start getting ready to head for their kickoff points. For the press, you're free to stay. Some of us will try to answer questions when we have free moments. Now, also, we, as Weres are not body shy, however, we realize that nudity is not for broadcast. The way this will work is that Leon and Jay, my Seconds, and a couple of their helpers will call the teams of four to the back of the room. The team will receive their final instructions, including their destinations. At that point, you may wish to avert your cameras, as they will then strip, shift and Leon and crew will then fit their packs and ponchos if they want them. They will, then, do a radio and beacon check and assuming that everything is working, the team will leave by the back door for their kickoff points, the first one being about ten miles west of here."

Bonner: "Radio, ops: Alpha, this it Jim Bonner. I am going to relinquish the radio and tracking work to Rob Fox. It has been a long day and night and this tracking and controlling operation calls for someone whose head is in the game. Rob is a good radioman and should have no problem. I would, however, recommend that control of the teams be split between, at least, two people. One person trying to track and direct a hundred wolves is bound to turn into chaos. We could set up a second monitor and microphone in the radio room no problem."

Jack, walking over to the intercom, Jack presses the switch: Jim, if you can hold together a little bit longer, then find a second person and get him set up and then go get some sleep. And, Jim, thanks. I know that it's been a long one, but you're, obviously, still thinking ahead. I appreciate that. Good night... Uh, day!"

Jack: "Ok, teams! If you didn't get a good look at the map handout passed around earlier that showed the kickoff points...It's hanging by the back door. The thing to remember is, go west along this ridge next to the base camp. Stay on this side of the ridge, but as close to the top of the ridge as you practically can. The first kickoff point is about ten miles west of here, but, just keep an ear tuned to the radio. A controller will tell you when you have reached your destination. At that point, find your way over the ridge and into the valley then try to come back a point near the kick off point. Again, stay together. The controller will guide you to the right place. Then rest up from your morning run. When the controller tells you to go, spread out as we discussed, two-hundred-yard separation and start ranging right and left, two- hundred yards, each direction, while moving toward the middle of the valley. When you get to the stream, come back together with your team. The controller will once again reposition the team if needed. Rest. When the go is given, again spread out and continue the search up to the opposite wall of the valley. Then gather your team again and wait. Please, don't let your wolves go off chasing after game. You can promise your wolf that he will get to do plenty of that if there is any game, but, just not now."

Jack: "Ok Leon. Let's roll."

[06:30, assembly hall]

Team number one was given final instructions; they stripped and shifted while camera continued to roll. The saddle packs were put on and adjusted, radios checked and the first team was sent on its way.

The first team had to travel slightly over ten statute miles to its jumping off point. Setting a leisurely pace of, slightly more than, thirteen miles per hour, so as not to become fatigued, they arrived at their destination in about three-quarters of an hour. Rob Fox, (radioman and controller for teams one through twelve), stopped them when they reached their destination and then they were given an additional thirty minutes to work their way over the south-most ridge and be guided to their 'kickoff point' and told that they would have one-half hour to rest and get ready to begin the search. Each successive team was to be allowed one minute less rest time. The rest period was only six minutes for team twenty-five. At approximately 08:15, Fox released team number one to begin the search and he released team number twelve at approximately 08:39. At 08:41, Jane Goodman, (radioman and controller for teams thirteen through twenty-five), released team thirteen to begin the search and team twenty-five began at 09:07]

The staggered timing for the teams had been previously determined and charted. In spite of the added complexity, this method held several advantages. It allowed for the different travel time required for each team to reach its kickoff point, provided a period of rest appropriate to the distance a team had traveled, without leaving the first out teams waiting for long periods, where they might have become bored and distracted and it spread out the workload for the controllers.

The dispatch of all twenty-five teams, from base camp, required slightly over two hours. During that time, two radios and three failed beacons had to be exchanged.

Team one completed its sweep across both halves of the valley in just under thirty minutes.

[08:42, Wednesday, north wall of the first valley]

Team one comes together at its assembly point, seeing the coalescence of the members of team one, Fox instructs them to cross the ridge and meet at their assembly point and rest]

Rob Fox: "All members of team one: Good job. Find your way over the ridge and form up. I will correct your team's start position. Then rest. You've earned it. Expect start time for your first sweep into second valley at 09:30, or later if necessary."

Jane Goodman, [09:07]: "Team twenty-five, you are released to begin your sweep. Members of team twenty-five: If terrain interferes with your planned search path, telescope, west, into your team, then expand back toward the east again, as terrain will allow."

Goodman, [09:11]: "Team thirteen: You made good time. Find your way into the second valley and form up. I will position your team, then you will get a fifteen minute rest period. Expect kickoff at 09:56 or later."

The radio chatter from the controllers continued; Team twenty-five is delayed, slightly, by terrain and several teams had difficulty in finding a pass to cross over the ridge, no evidence of the aircraft or its passengers is found in the first valley. By 10:30 all teams have entered the second valley, and team one has completed its sweep across the valley, and it is assembled and holding on the south slope of the third ridge. Because, of cumulative and uneven delays among the teams, timing was becoming chaotic and it is decided to hold all teams in the second valley until every team was ready to cross the ridge into the third valley.

Goodman, [10:39]: "Team thirteen: hold at your assembly point. All teams will cross together when the last has completed its sweep of the second valley"

Fox, [10:41]: "Team ten: hold at your assembly point. All teams will cross the ridge simultaneously after all sweeps in the second valley are complete."

Goodman, [11:10]: "Team twenty-five, form up at your assembly point and hold."

Goodman: "Ok, Rob, The last of my teams are joined up and are ready to go."

Fox: "Alright, Jane. Let me release mine and then you can cut yours loose."

Fox, [11:12]: "All teams, one through twelve, cross the ridge and form up."

Fox: "It's all yours Jane."

Goodman, [11:13]: "All teams, thirteen through twenty-five, cross over the ridge and join up at your assembly points."

Fox, [11:35]: "Team one, move west one-hundred and fifty yards, then fan out and begin your sweep." "Team two, move fifty yards west, then fan out and start your sweep." "Team three, move one-hundred yards west, fan out, and begin your sweep." Team four... "Team four hold your position."

Fox, [11:38]: speaking to Goodman: "We've got an attention signal from a locator beacon. Looks like team eleven."

Goodman, [11:38]: "All teams hold your position and stand by."

Goodman: "Ok, Rob. It's all yours."

Fox, [11:39]: "Team eleven; we're receiving a locator alert from your team. If you have something, somebody shift and talk to me."

[11:45, Wednesday, at the south wall of the third valley]

"Team eleven, Unit 41 to base camp, we spotted something fairly large and white as we were topping the ridge. The view was partially obscured by the trees. It appears to be, down, near the stream."

Fox: "Unit 41, Team eleven hold your position and remain quiet and unseen by any survivors. Stand by."

Fox, [11:47]: "Teams one, two, three and four, hold current positions. All teams, hold your positions, remain quiet, and stay hidden from area of stream. Possible wreckage spotted near stream at approximately team eleven's position. It is time to alert the Alpha."

Goodman, [11:48]: "Rob, I'll go find him. He's my Alpha. I hope that he won't rip my head off for waking him."

Goodman, [11:50, the operations room]: "Does anyone know where the Alpha is?"

"A man in fatigues and combat boots getting coffee and donuts: I think that he's on a cot up front. He went to grab a nap. He looked pretty beat."

Goodman: "Thanks. Yeah, he's been on top of this for about thirty-six hours, now."

Goodman: "Alpha! Alpha, I'm sorry to wake you, but a team thinks they have spotted wreckage."

Jack: "Thank you, Jane. I'll be right there!"

Goodman: "In the radio room, Alpha."

Goodman leaves to return to the radio room.

Goodman: "He's on his way, Rob."

[11:55, Wednesday, the radio room]

Jack: "What do we have?"

Fox: "Alpha, team eleven spotted something "big and white," through the trees as they came over the ridge. They said that it appeared to be down along the stream. They couldn't make out a lot of detail through the trees. None of the teams are in contact with it and we have all teams holding their positions and staying quiet and out of sight. There is no indication that survivors, if there are any, have spotted any of the teams. 41', of team eleven, is in human form and standing by on the radio."

Jack: "Good work; both of you."

Fox: "Alpha, one other thing. I just noticed. The panthers are just leaving the ridge. They're probably, ten to twenty minutes out."

Jack: "Thanks, Rob. I've got to think of a way to say thanks to those three."

Jack: "Can I speak to..."41?" Who is that?"

Fox: "I'm sorry, Alpha, I don't know. We never got a copy of Leon's team list."

Jack: "Nothing for you to be sorry about. That was my oversight."

Fox: "You may have been a little preoccupied with other things. We haven't really needed it. This is the first voice communication that we have had."

Fox: "Would you like me to get him on the radio, for you?"

Jack: "Yes. Would you, please."

Jack pulls up an empty chair...

Fox: "Break, Basecamp to team eleven, Unit 41..."

Radio: "41', go."

Fox: "41', hold for Alpha..."

Jack: "41', Who have I got there?"

George Scott: "This is George Scott, Alpha."

Jack: "Oh! Good to hear you George. Are you the one that spotted the wreck?"

George: "Actually, the entire team saw it as we topped the ridge."

Jack: "George, we have all of the teams being quiet and staying out of sight. It will be best to introduce ourselves in a controlled manner. So here is what I want you to do. Get your VyTeck jumpsuit on and the rubber shoes, walk down to the aircraft, and scout it out. If you see survivors, let me know and then go down to them and introduce yourself. You had better convert your saddle pack to a backpack and wear it when you go in."

George: "Yes, Alpha. I had anticipated that and I'm ready to go."

Jack: "how far is it? How long do you think that it will take you to get there?"

George: "It looks to be about a mile. There are lots of trees, but not much underbrush, so, if there aren't any obstacles, then, I should be there in, under, thirty minutes. Human legs are just slower than 'four paw, wolf drive.'"

Jack: "Very good, George. Call when you know something."

Jack sits and ruminates on what to do if there are survivors. And, wishes that he could sleep, just a little longer.

[12:14, Wednesday, the radio room]

Three very wet and weary black cats stalk into the room...

Jack: "Congratulations guys. You were magnificent! I have never been prouder than I am of you three. And... And, you are just in time to hear of the fruits of your labor. The search teams are in the third valley, and they think that they have spotted the aircraft."

Jack: "So, do you want to shift, get dried off, and dressed? Would you like to get something to eat? You can have anything you want from the kitchen. On the other hand, you look wet and tired. Would you prefer to go get some sack time?"

All three shift from sleek black cats to wet cold, naked humans.

Grace: "Burrrrr! I, for one would like to get dried off, get some warm, dry clothes on, then a quick bite to eat and then crawl under a pillow for a week."

Baxter: "I'll second that!"

Fontain: "Yeah, that sounds good to me, too."

Jack: "Ok, well very good. Why don't you go on over to the barracks tent and get dried and dressed? There should be the usual boxes of sweatshirts and pants by the door. I had the heavy winter sweat suits brought out for this trip. I put your personal stuff in the lockers under your bunks. When you're ready, go over to the dining hall. Tell them I said that you have carte-blanche and it's good for the duration."

The Weres give a quick "thank you, Alpha" and dash, through the mist and drizzle, across the commons towards the barracks tent.

† concluding lines from the poem "High Flight"

by

Pilot Officer

John Gillespie McGee Jr.,

RCAF 412 Spitfire Squadron

born: 9 June 1922, Shanghai, China

died: 11 December 1941, Lincolnshire, England

12