The Flin Wars Ch. 10

Story Info
Space meets the oldest profession, War.
6.7k words
4.71
2.7k
7
Story does not have any tags

Part 11 of the 16 part series

Updated 01/29/2024
Created 01/16/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Here yet again I bring you the next instalment of this tale and what I hope is another chance to relive that which once was. As always this is a work of fiction and any resemblance to any person living or dead is purely coincidental as it is being made up in my head and I like what I'm writing, if this isn't your cup of whisky, go look somewhere else. Please remember to vote, and if you like what you read, like and follow me. Keep those comments coming and please be respectful, any mistakes are my own and I am solely responsible for the content of these stories.

Now for a bit of back story on some of the ship types that are in use in this time frame.

BB - Battleships: These are the hard and heavy hitters of the 23rd Century armed with a wide assortment of weapons, both offensive and defensive. Most usually have 12 to 15 Main guns with the SDs or Super Dreadnaughts having 18 to 24 Mains. Both carry 28 to 40 Missile tubes, 16 heavy torpedo tubes (8 forward, 8 aft), and their CIWS systems are second only to a CVs defensive system. They are usually between 1.25 to 2 kilometers long and.53 to 1.58 klicks wide and have between 25 and 31 decks, they tend to weigh well over 600,000 tones with most of that being divided between armor and armaments. Like Carriers they spend their lives in space rarely if ever touching a planet's surface except to be retired.

CV - Carriers: This class of ship is another of the heavy hitters with most measuring between 1.65 to 2.85 kilometers long, 1.0 to 1.52 klicks wide and weighing over 750,000 tones. They have 20 to 28 decks depending on the class and carry 9 to 14 squadrons of between 25 to 38 craft for each squadron. They are designed, built and spend their life in space and very rarely, if ever touchdown on a planet's surface. Of all the ship classes the CVs have the heaviest CIWS (Close in Weapons Systems) of between 48 and 70 Defensive multi barrel rotary guns and short-range missiles systems. During WW2 US Carriers had multiple levels of gun tubs to defend them from Japanese aircraft. Despite having weapons from 5" guns, 40mm, 20mm,.50 Cal. BMGs rapid firing guns and even defensive aircraft, enemy planes still got through and crashed into the flight decks and hulls of the ships.

CA - Cruisers: These are the fast hitters of a battle group with them being broken down into 3 main groups, Light, Heavy and Assault. All 3 are between.65 to over 1 kilometer long, 350 to 550 meters wide and weigh around 235,000 to 260,000+ tones. They're very maneuverable, fast and designed to pull High G's, hit hard and fast then pull back and hit again. The gun and missile systems of this class of ship are usually quick cycling which allows them to pour a large amount of ordinance onto a given target or target area. The heavy hitters of this class are the Assault variants which can range from.85 to well over 1.3 kilometers long and carry between 34 and 50 assault shuttles. During an assault, they will move in close and drop their troops while providing covering fire from their gun and missile systems. Ships of this class usually operate in groups of 3 to 10 ships along with DDs and FFs to provide additional support or covering fire. They'll also provide support in a Carrier or Battleship battle group, generally acting as the defensive combat coordination commander for a given area or group. Of all the ship classes these are the most versatile and flexible of all the classes.

DD - Destroyers: These are the 'Tin Cans' of the fleet and carry light to medium offensive firepower and their power to weight ratio is usually 2-1, they are very fast and maneuverable and can extract themselves from trouble as fast as they get themselves into it. Their general duty is scouting and in a battle group, the form the first line of defense against an attack. The Defensive firepower is quite powerful, and they generally carry powerful torpedoes and missiles which are their primary offensive armament. Most are between 500 to 650 meters long and 100 to 125 wide, they usually weigh between 90,000 to 125,000 tones. This class of ship usually works with the FF or Frigate class which are slightly smaller usually by 100 meters and 10,000 to 15,000 tones and carry a smaller number of missiles and torpedoes. They also have a 2-1 power to weight ratio and operate in packs of 3 to 12 ships like the DDs.

FAV - Fast Assault Vessel: These are the rapid strike vessels of the fleet, capable of jumping in and out multiple times and appearing as many ships instead of just one. They can carry a reinforced company of Marines in and out of a hot LZ and in the

prepping of that very same LZ for landings or a hot extract if 'the shit has hit the fan'. Assault carriers generally have 16 - 20 FAVs for SPECOPS missions, the rest are combat shuttles that lack jump capable engines, but still retain the heavy armament and armor like the FAVs. FAVs, like assault shuttles are capable of carrying 60 stretcher and 20 ambulatory cases on a return trip and have integrated O2, IV and suction points when operating as a medevac. The ships measure between 70 and 100 meters long and 30 to 42 wide, they generally have 3 or 4 decks and weigh in at 75 to 152 tones. Some can carry the F/A-36M Sky Raiders, for quick in and out strikes.

Date: 232009.05

Time: 0545.12

Location: XO's Office, RM 104,

BLDG. 10 Boyington Field.

I sat in my new office drinking fresh coffee and reading the maintenance repair report on 237. I had called over to the maintenance office once I had gotten in and had found them still hard at work fixing many of the problems that had crept in over the last several months. Obviously, I was not one of their favorite people to hear from right now. In truth I really didn't give a shit, the only thing I cared about was having safe birds for my pilots to fly. Karl was in his office which was right next to mine and Dev was in a spare office just 3 doors down the hall. Karl had given him the title of Asst. Training and Eval Officer. I put the report down and stood up then walked down the hall towards the weather office, passing Dev's office I motioned for him to follow me. I wasn't planning an exo flight today, all I really wanted to do was refamiliarize myself and him with the training ranges and the area in general.

The weather this time of year was usually Hot, Dry and Clear with the occasional storm that would pop up later in the afternoon or early evening. The weather guessers informed us that the day would be clear but that tomorrow a low-pressure system was bringing in a 50% chance of afternoon rain that would last several hours. High clouds would start arriving around dawn tomorrow and build in as the day progressed, but for today there was only a 20% chance of cloud cover but not until after 1500. That worked for me as I wanted to run flights in the morning and afternoon with flights after dark thrown in too.

It was right before 0600 that the other flight instructors started walking in and I called them to my office as they strolled in. I let them know that their days would be starting before mine did, which meant that they would need to be here around 0530 during the week and 0630 on the weekends except Sundays. There was a war on after all, and I expected them to remember that. There was a small canteen for the instructors to relax and I went with them for a quick bite and to lay out my morning plans. As of Monday, all flights would prep as if each flight was going black sky even if they didn't, there would be several other changes that would happen over the next several weeks but that was for later.

Around 0650 I heard the voices of the new pilots as they entered the building and headed for the briefing room that was 5 doors down from my office. My office secretary came in and reintroduced herself to me. 'Well Mr. Bishop, you've come a long way in a short time I see.' She said as I smiled at the motherly face of Ms. Case. She had been sitting at that desk when I had checked in and was still here 8+ years later. In every sense of the word, she and the COs secretary Mrs. Alton ran this school, and they knew where and who to speak to, to get anything and everything done on this base. 'Do you still make those cookies Ms. Case? I remember the cookies you'd have on your desk every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.' I asked remembering them fondly. 'You always stopped and got one on your way to briefing John, they'll be there tomorrow just like always. Be sure your daughter and slave come in, I'll have a few just for them.' She said and handed me a data pad and pointed to the door. It was time for my first briefing. 'Go young man.' She said and pointed at the door. I simply smiled and got up. 'Yes Ma'am.' I said and quickly headed for briefing.

'Attention on deck.' One of the instructors said and everyone "popped tall" as I walked in and took my place at the front of the room. 'Take seats.' I said and waited as they got comfy then introduced myself. 'Good morning, my name is Commander John 'Stalker' Bishop the VI and I'll be your new XO here. In the air I'm pretty informal and will use your call sigh, I expect you to use mine as well as everyone else's. Here on the ground, It's CDR Bishop or Sir and if you want to cuss me out the first and last words out of your mouth had better be Sir or Commander.' I said and people laughed.

I spent the next 20 odd minutes speaking and answering the questions that the pilots had. 'Okay yesterday we had an event that lead to a Mayday being called and Cesar assets being launched. TR 237 had a failure of its 216 hydraulic distribution block.' On the screen behind me a looped video of the damaged area in question popped up and started playing. 'As you can see the damage was extensive when the compression fitting failed. This is what can happen when fluid is forced out at over 4500kps people. The fact that Beth managed to quickly isolate and initiate emergency procedures was instrumental in her being able to bring Fran home. Bravo Zulu Ensign Krauss.'

I waited as several people congratulated her and then sat back down. 'I want everyone to review their emergency procedures over the weekend as well as be ready to explain to me or one of the other instructors what you would do in the event of any emergency within your flight.' I said and heard moans and groans from the kids. I waved them down. 'Yes, yes, yes I know the big bad new XO just messed up my weekend plans to go drink and fuck. If you're that upset you can always come over and help me unpack and set up on Saturday.' I said grinning. '0930 and yes I will have food so don't be late.'

I knew how to punch the right buttons and food was always a good enticement to get the youngsters up early and out to help. 'Okay todays flight is a blue sky flight over the training ranges and a little dog fighting if posable, remember our hard deck is 1100 meters and anyone who goes below it will be in my doghouse.' I told the kids. 'And let me tell you, my reach is long, and I have a lot of friends throughout the fleet. So don't test my metal boys and girls.' I spent the next 50 minutes outlining the flight and who would fly where. Our flight was supposed to last 2 hours and 25 minutes and takeoff would be at 0915 and we'd be back for lunch.

'Okay, anyone got any further questions, comments, concerns, heartburn? No? Then let's go aviate.' I said. 'Oh, those who will be in my flight meet me on Sam's nose before you mount up.' I quickly spoke and headed for the door and life support to start changing into my suit. Looking around I could see that many were donning just their G-suit and torso harness with survival gear vest over their rag bags. I didn't say anything I just looked at those who weren't donning their space suits, many looked back and started to get the idea and changed. Finishing up I headed to weather and joined the 7 other pilots who were standing at the desk getting updated on the weather.

Finishing up we headed for the transport that would take us to the flight line. 'Commander Bishop? here's your ride.' The driver said and stopped to let me out the back, 1 other pilot got out as I walked up to Sam. I could see Billy arguing with another Brown shirt who was trying to gain access to my cockpit. 'Look shit for brains, I don't give a fuck who the hell you think you are or what you fucking think you were going to do. You touch this bird and I'll mop the tarmac with your fucking face. No body, but no body touches this bird without the Bosses permission and me being here.' He growled out as the other brown shirt started to advance in him.

'Ten-hut.' I barked out and watched them both come to attention as I walked up to the 2 of them. 'Billy? would you like to explain yourself please?' I asked. 'Sir, this asshole told me to get away from Sam and to report to flight ops for a new assignment, He said that I was no longer your plane captain, and he would be handling Sam from this point forward. Sir' Billy said and I looked over to the other individual. 'Is this true?' I asked. 'Yes Sir I have the data log confirming me as your new PC, Sir.' He said and handed me the pad in question. Looking it over I could see my tail number and the assignment of AM1 Jackson to it. 'Who ordered this Mr. Jackson?' I asked. 'I'm not sure Sir but my bet would be on the Squadron Maintenance Officer or the Operations Officer Sir. Sir I've handled the last 2 XOs birds and They must have thought that I would be handling yours also Sir.' He said and they both looked at me.

'Did anyone take into account that I brought My own PC with me? Can you raise the Ops O on your pad Jackson?' I asked handing it back to him. 'Yes Sir.' He said and within 20 seconds was speaking to the Ops O. 'Lt. Nash, Sir.' He said and handed me the pad back I put it on speaker. 'Lieutenant, this is Commander Bishop, did you assign Mr. Jackson to my bird?' I said. 'Yes Sir, He's one of our best PCs here on the base. We routinely assign him or a few others to our CO, XO or VIP birds.' She said a bit confused. 'Ms. Nash I'd like to see you at my bird now please.' I said. 'But Sir you'll be launching in less than 30 minutes.' She replied, a bit worriedly. 'Then I suggest you move your ass, Lieutenant. NOW.' I growled and hung up before she could reply. 'Mr. Jackson as you can tell Billy is very touchy about who can touch his bird and from what I heard and saw neither one of you were going to handle this peacefully. I'd really appreciate neither of you swinging here on the tarmac in front of God and everybody right before a flight. Both of you will report to my office at 1400. Don't be late.' I said as a car pulled up a minute later and a young female Lt. got out, I took a stab in the dark. 'Lt. Nash?' I asked as she came up to me and saluted.

'Tell me Lieutenant, did you not receive the message that I would be bringing my own PC with me?' I quietly asked. 'Please don't bother to lie to me because I have the answering message.' She looked around and nodded her head. 'The message was received Sir.' She said. I looked around at those who were watching us and knew I had to maintain my cool. 'Jokers office Ms. Nash, 1600. Do not be late if you want to keep your tracks.' I quietly said and walked away. I tossed my helmet bag to Billy and gathered those who were flying with me today.

'Be safe and watch each other's backs out there today. Combat is about working together and always staying with your wingman, Baby and I will be top cap and watch you as you mix it up, if anyone wants to mix it up with me your more than welcome to try.' Several laughed and I smiled back. 'Remember I have 89 confirmed kills and more than 40 ships killed in my 8+ years of flying. If you can shoot me down, I'll buy the drinks, but if I shoot you down.' I left the rest unsaid and looked around as they laughed yet again. 'Mount up people.' I said and began my preflight walk around as Ms. Nash and Petty Officer Jackson disappeared.

I flew in the number 8 position behind Baby watching the rest of the flight as they moved from one formation to another, each would provide a different amount of either offensive or defensive fire power. I was recording all this for further review but from what I was seeing so far everything was looking good. We entered Range 4, then broke into 2 flights of 4 and went to the opposite end of the range. 'Remember the hard deck is 1100 meters and remember, it's like gravity, you can't get away from it. Fights on.' I pulled high taking Baby with me and looped over the top, then headed for my opposite number bringing up my guns. The reticle lit up and Sam began to compute the lead I would need for a kill, I checked my master safety and split off to my right and then turned back into my target and squeezed the trigger. 'Guns, guns, guns.' I announced. Had my heavy 40mm guns been live he would have been a flaming piece of wreckage; his wingman joined him just 2 seconds later. 'Buzzard copies kill.' I heard. 'Whiplash is dead.'

I turned towards the others in my flight and saw them wrapped up in a fur ball. Sam let me know which ones were on "my side", so to speak and I could see that Kilroy was in a bad way and watched as Hitman "killed him" then turned into Wrath who had finally taken Styx. 'Baby, get Hitman.' I said and let her take the lead as she pulled angle on him. Hitman broke into Baby leaving Wrath, who extended then pulled back around to try and place him in a pincer. To his credit he went nose to nose with Baby, keeping Wrath from firing then broke left and extended as Wrath stayed hot on his 6. I called the "dead" to me and took them "upstairs" to keep the area clear. I watched Baby and Wrath form up as Hitman grabbed sky and rolled over at the top.

I knew what he was doing, trading sky for speed and speed was life. 'Guns. Guns, Guns.' I heard. 'Wrath is off.' I heard. 'Wrath form up with us at point Bravo 9.' I said and continued to watch. 'Roger that Stalker, turning now, will intercept at point 9' Wrath said and pulled up hard climbing towards us. Baby pulled hard and then kicked the rudders just as hard flipping her into a perfect firing angle. 'Guns, guns, guns, guns, guns, guns.' she said, and I heard several start laughing over the comms as Hitman straightened out and flew level. 'SHIT.' was what we all heard, and I laughed myself as Baby did a victory roll then climbed back to my wing.

'Fall in on me.' I said and slowed to allow everyone to fall in as I turned back toward base. I took an indirect route and flew over several other ranges and watched as the other instructors began to lead their charges back towards base. 'Castle approach, Castle 02 inbound with 7 chicks, over.' I said. '02, Castle approach, radar contact, you are cleared for straight in on 32L. Winds light, 352 at 3 we are CAVU, and no other traffic is ahead of you at this time, over.' They replied as I turned onto the final heading and headed down then broke into the downwind leg for final approach. I had arranged for an LSO to be on the side of the runway and to grade each pass.

I dropped my gear and hook then deployed my flaps and started the mantra in my head over and over again, running the checklist and bleeding speed until I once again touched down. '02, Okay 3 wire.' He said as I taxied out and then over to my hard stand. Billy stood there in his armored pressure suit as 2 yellow shirts directed me in then chocked Sam's wheels. I cut her engines and opened my canopy as Billy placed the ladder against her and climbed up. 'Everything go alright Boss?' He asked as I safed out my seat and stood up. 'Boss I'm sorry I fucked up like that this morning.' He quietly said. 'I know Billy, but god damn it, you got to be thinking all the time here and not with your little head.' I told him and looked at him. 'It'll be alright, but I may have to drop the hammer on you a little today, it all depends on what that other idiot says.' I looked around as my other pilots started heading my way. 'Just don't be late and keep your fucking mouth shut between now and then, alright.'

12