The Four Boxes of Liberty Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And State-wide, after you two whippersnappers went down to Midtown and busted up the Republican State Office," Griswold said, meaning me and Cindy, "we're not getting any State polling data anymore. The Press is gleefully reporting that it'll be a 'wave' election for the Democrats, but we're not so sure. It really will depend on whether the Republican legislator is an Establishment supporter of Wilson Hammonds, or a Grassroots supporter of Val Jared."

Our food arrived. You get one guess what Jack ordered; don't blow it, just say the 'Double Cheeseburger plate'. I got the Breakfast Burger plate; Cindy, the fish and chips, the 'chips' being very crispy french fries; Teresa, the steak Caesar salad; and Tanya got the House Salad.

As we neared finishing these delicious meals, I said "Jack, what brought you to see us?"

"Just the report from Washington." said Muscone. "Congress is out of session now, due to the upcoming elections. The City asked for Senator Samuel Russell to be extradited back to the City to face the rape charges for which the Grand Jury indicted him. One judge had said he could not be extradited because he was a Senator, but that was appealed because Congress is out of session now, claiming the Constitution only protects him from being stopped from going to Congress to discharge his duties there. Constitutional crisis case."

"So Russell hasn't returned to the State, eh?" I mused. "That suggests a guilty conscience."

"That man has no conscience. At all." said Cindy. "Nor does his wife, nor his daughter."

"Don't let it ruin your lunch, young lady." said Chief Griswold. Cindy looked gratefully at the Chief.

"The FBI and the Federal Marshals are fully prepared to arrest him and bring him to the City." said Jack Muscone. "All we need are the warrants to do it."

"What about his wife?" I asked.

"She's with him in Washington." said Muscone. "She's really been shunned by the people she thought were her friends, the wives of other politicians, and they have not been invited to a single party since the incident and the scandal broke. We've been hoping she'll turn on him, but she just won't do it."

"And her daughter is part of the problem." said Teresa. "Ruby is the one who really is keeping her mother from doing the right thing. I wonder if Ruby is going to run for her father's seat eventually."

"I did hear," said Chief Griswold, "that Ruby has talked to a number of Republican political people. She may run for something more local first, get the experience and name recognition, then go for the State-wide enchiladas later on."

"I will say this." I said. "His hopes to resign and walk away from it all are toast if Sharon Marshall becomes Lieutenant Governor. The Russell/Hammonds Establishment cabal was hoping to get Jared out of office, either by impeaching him, or blowing him up in an old building. But if Marshal becomes Governor, she won't appoint an Establishment successor to Russell."

"Neither would Maxine Watts, if she wins and Jared is taken out." said Cindy.

"That's true." I said. "But I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the Establishment Republicans would rather work with the Democrats than the Grassroots Conservatives. Russell would rather give up his seat and be replaced with a Democrat than by a Jared-appointed Conservative. Yes, they're that full of hatred for the Grassroots, and the American People overall."

"So what is going to happen to Russell?" asked Tanya.

"I dunno." I said. "Hell, Bill Clinton is still walking free despite committing multiple rapes. Why should it be any different for Samuel Russell?"

"Because Bill Clinton doesn't have someone ready to shove a red crowbar up his ass like Russell does." growled Griswold. We all laughed at that.

"What I want to know..." said Jack Muscone, his beady black eyes gleaming just a bit too much, "is who is going to win on Saturday."

"Dogs beat Cats, as always." said Cindy.

"Yeah." I said, pretending sadness. "My poor Wildcats just don't stand a chance."

"Stoppit." said Cindy. "But you're right. Train No. 93 is coming down the tracks, and Wildcats had better scatter or get run over..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:00pm, Wednesday, October 24th. Escorted by Captain Teresa Croyle, I went to the office of District Attorney Gil Krasney in City Hall. I barged past his assistant, and Teresa kept her at bay and guarded the door as I went inside alone. Krasney was in his seat behind his desk. He'd been staring out the window, but when the door opened he turned to face his desk.

"Good Lord, Commander." he said as I came in. "Don't you knock? Much less make an appointment with my assistant? Now unlike you, I'm very busy. I don't have time for your shenanigans."

"Make time." I said. "Should be easy enough, since you've been dropping all the cases we send you. Plea deal for Amber Harris, dropping charges against Gayle Tunnin..."

"Cases not worth wasting the People's tax dollars pursuing." growled Krasney.

"And you serve the People well, of course." I said.

"Yes I do. Better than you do." said Krasney.

"Yezzz." I said. "So would you please explain to me why you cut off the City Hall videocameras two minutes before someone tried to murder my Police Officers?"

Krasney and I stared at each other for over fifteen seconds before he finally spoke. "You'll never prove that."

"Probably not, and I don't intend to try." I said. "But that was my Police Officer being shot at, and my Detective that was wounded saving her life. Now I don't think you realized there was going to be an assassination attempt. I just want to know who asked... or told... you to cut off the cameras."

"Like I said," said Krasney, "you'll never prove a thing. Officially, I have no idea what you're even talking about."

"Then why don't I tell you what happened," I said, "and you correct me where I go astray."

I began pacing a bit as I started, tapping the red crowbar into my left palm. "You are one of the few persons with a master key of all the City Hall doors, and you know the routine of the place. Someone asked you to cut off the cameras. Maybe that person told you there was going to be an anti-Police demonstration, or an 'I hate Commander Troy' rally by Leftist women who are outraged that I dared arrest a woman for making a false accusation against a man. In any case, you agreed to do it, and you turned off the cameras at the time asked."

"But then," I continued, "instead of a demonstration, there was gunfire outside, and an Officer down. You realized that you had been duped, and you were now potentially implicated in the attempted murder of a Police Officer. Yes, that's bad enough, Mr. Krasney, but what you realized... and still realize... is that someone who had you turn off the cameras so that she could have two hired slugs kill Lieutenant Holloway... knows that you can identify her, and may just try to kill you."

I turned for the door. "So do be careful, Mr. Krasney." I said. "You won't be D.A. after January 1st, if I don't miss my guess... and I very rarely do. The question is... do you want to be alive after that date. Think about it. Come see me when you're ready... no appointment necessary."

With that, I turned and left the office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Corporal Hicks was dressed in his semi-formal uniform with ribbons as he entered the I.G. Conference Room in City Hall with his Police Union representation. Waiting for him was Captain Ted Orosco of TCPD Internal Affairs, Fire Marshal Zoe Singer, who was the Internal Affairs person for the Fire Department, and Public Safety Department Inspector General Horace S. Wellman, brother of University President Sidney P. Wellman.

"Thank you for coming in, Corporal." said Wellman. "We are here to ascertain exactly what happened during Monday's shooting. Let the record show that you have Union representation with you. I am not reading you your rights, as you are not considered a suspect, but you do have the right to an attorney, of course. So, let's get started. Captain Orosco?"

"Thank you, Inspector." said Orosco. "Corporal, you and Corporal Gunddottar were assigned as a protection detail for Lieutenant Holloway, is that correct?"

"Yes sir." said Hicks.

"And last Monday morning, as you were escorting her to City Hall, there was gunfire, is that right?"

"Yes sir."

"At what point," said Orosco, "did you realize the shots were being fired at Holloway?"

Hicks said "I heard Detective Parker yell 'GUN!', I looked around and saw someone firing from a brown car at Detective Parker, who was tackling Lt. Holloway to the ground."

"Corporal," said Commander Zoe Singer, "did you immediately return fire? Did you shoot at the car?"

"Yes ma'am." said Hicks.

"Corporal," said Singer, "have you been given training on shooting situations of that nature?"

"In general, sir," said Hicks, "we're had weapons training and situational training of various scenarios like that."

"Were you ever given training on when to shoot or to not shoot, based upon the dangers to the public?" asked Singer.

"Our training does include those scenarios, ma'am." said Hicks.

"I'm asking this question to understand your frame of mind, not to make an accusation, so please be truthful and candid in your answer." said Singer. "On Monday, did you consider that it was a busy street with several cars and pedestrians in that immediate area?"

"Yes ma'am." said Hicks.

"And you chose to fire?" asked Singer.

"Ma'am," said Hicks, "What I was seeing was that the shooters's car was slowing down to a stop. The shooters were firing, and it was my belief that they intended to continue firing at Parker and Holloway, and would have done so until both were dead, if Gunddottar and I had not returned fire. Therefore, I considered it an absolute necessity to return fire at the car and the shooters in order to save my fellow Officers's lives."

"If I may add to this, ma'am," said Hicks, "Gunddottar and I were relatively close to the shooters's vehicle. Our shots hit the car or the persons inside; as far as I know, no shots missed nor were found having struck anywhere else. And the shooters were firing a lot of rounds that could've struck someone or ricocheted off the building; their gunfire was dangerous to innocent civilians, and therefore our gunfire was all the more necessary to protect the safety of any others at or near the scene."

"Good points." Orosco said quietly. He then raised his voice and said "So, Corporal, to clarify, it was your judgement based upon your training and years of experience that you had to return fire at the perps, or else your fellow Officers and perhaps innocent civilians could have been killed."

"Sir," said Hicks, "I believe Parker and Holloway would be dead if we had not stopped the shooters by firing at them. And yes, I believe shooting at the perps was the only way to prevent their deaths or anyone else's."

"Just one more question, at least from me." said Orosco. "Corporal, have you discussed what happened with Commander Donald Troy, Captain Teresa Croyle, Chief Moynahan, or other Police Officers?"

"Commander Troy asked me what happened when we were at the scene, and I told him." said Hicks. "I gave my formal statement to Lieutenant Irwin, then again to you, Captain Orosco. I never discussed it with Captain Croyle or the Chief."

"Just to be clear, and this is important, Corporal." said Orosco, in the tone of a warning. "Were you coached in your testimony today by Commander Troy, Captain Ross, Chief Moynahan, your Precinct Captain or Precinct Lieutenant, or any other Police Officer in a position over you?"

"No sir." said Hicks. "I was not coached by anyone in the TCPD for this testimony."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy came in to Laura's office, with Callie right behind her. Laura had them sit down on one of the 'two sofas', facing the windows so that the brighter light was in their faces, and my wife sat down on the other sofa. Cindy shuddered as she remembered what had happened at one of those windows during a ginned-up student riot.

"How are you feeling, Cindy?" Laura asked. "Really feeling?"

"Physically, I'm fine." Cindy said. "Not feeling sick or out of whack or anything."

"Are you having any dreams? Nightmares?" Laura asked.

"No." Cindy said "I occasionally feel like I'm seeing flashes of light, but no abnormal dreams from the ones I was having before... all this happened."

"Callie, does she wake up suddenly in the night?" Laura asked. "Or talk or cry in her sleep?"

"No." said Callie. "Nothing like that."

"How are you feeling after the abortion, Cindy?" Laura asked.

"Well, I'm not feeling any regrets about that." Cindy said. "But it made me think about having children and being a mother. Callie and I talked about it, and it's something we might do in the future."

"Artificial insemination? Adoption?" Laura asked.

"Either one." Cindy said. "And we're not planning on doing it right away. Your kids and Molly's boys are enough for right now..."

Part 8 - Dog Days

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, October 25th, from in front of City Hall. "Channel Two News has learned that the Public Safety Inspector General has finished his investigation!"

Bettina: "Inspector General Horace S. Wellman would not confirm that he has wrapped up his investigation of last Monday's Officer-involved shooting that resulted in the wounding of Detective Teddy Parker, but sources tell Channel Two News that he has finished his interviews and is writing his final report now. This report could come out as early as today."

"But Social Justice groups, such as 'Citizens for Police Accountability', are demanding that Corporals Hicks and Gunddottar remain on restricted desk duty until the Board of Inquiry asked for by the Town & County Council releases its findings." said Bettina. "Commander Donald Troy has not responded to our numerous requests for comment on the future of his Officers."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Captain Croyle," said Jerome Davis, "did the Press contact you about Hicks and Gunddottar?"

"Oh hell no." Teresa replied, scowling as she sipped her coffee. "That was just a cheap shot at Commander Troy by KXTC."

"Glad I have you guys." I said as I walked in. "I have no friends at KXTC. That's not a complaint, by the way. With friends like the Press, who needs enemies?"

"You know what they say, sir!" said Theo Washington, with a huge grin on his face as he glanced towards his Police partner Joanne Warner, "If you want a friend in this Town, get a dog!" We all laughed as Joanne smiled brightly.

"Leo is such an awesome dog, too!" Joanne said. "But I think Seth has taken over him. Check this out." We all got a photo in our emails. It showed Seth on a sheet on the floor, asleep, and Leo nestled into him, also asleep.

"Awwww." Teresa said. "That's so cool."

"Leo had a bad first night?" I asked.

"No sir, not really." Joanne said. "But he woke up whimpering a couple of times, so Seth stayed with him. And Seth is working from home these days while we cage train Leo, so that's working out for now."

"Good." I said. "Sounds like that's going to work out. Leo has a great and loving home, and Carole doesn't have to worry about you stealing Bowser anymore."

"Bowser is an awesome dog." said Joanne. "I know his son will be just as awesome!"

"Sir," asked Julia Rodriguez, "what are you doing for your birthday tomorrow?"

"Nothing special." I said. "With the Bulldogs-Wildcats game the next day, we decided to not try to travel to the lakehouse. So we'll hang out here, and I'll gracefully grow a year older here with you guys."

"Hey, just think!" Teresa said. "A year and a day from now, you'll be old enough to be a Captain in the TCPD!" Everyone broke out laughing.

"And the way the Council is going," I said, "I'll probably be demoted to Captain by then."

"Nooooo, Commanderrrrrrr." said Chief Moynahan, who had snuck in behind me. "You're going to be demoted to the position in which you have shown unswerrrrving ability... De-tec-tive."

"Welcome to our world, Commander." said Jerome Davis.

"Hoo boy." I said...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"All right, what's going on, ladies?" I asked my Angels as we began our morning meeting after watching the KSTD broadcast.

"Sir," said Tanya, "you remember that discussion we had about the Press and SBI-NTF working together?"

"Yes." I said. "And that it would make my day to bust reporters for drug distribution."

"Mine, too." said Tanya. "Unfortunately, we don't have anything on any reporters, but Vice is getting some word that there is a huge new pipeline into the State, and a distribution net using, quote, 'Government resources', unquote. I'm not sure who those resources could be, if not the NTF."

"Where's the stuff coming in?" I asked.

"From what Grubby Paul was telling me and Mary," Tanya said, "his sources say the stuff is likely coming in from Southport, but the major distribution point to the State apparently keeps changing."

"Within the State?" I asked.

"Yes sir." said Tanya. "As far as anyone can tell, including the U.S. DEA, this ring is only within the borders of our State, and has not expanded... not even to Turpin Heights to the south or Acropolis City to the east."

"And so we're back to a State Government entity being involved. Hmm..." I said.

"Pardon my naivety," said Teresa, "but is the SBI-NTF still an entity at all?"

"Unfortunately, yes." I said. "And while Ferrell is missing... and probably running around somewhere like a chicken with his head cut off... and Gaston is an SDOJ Regional Manager, or whatever they call the position, there is still an NTF. The good news is that they've pretty much stayed out of people's way. I think they know that they can sit there and twiddle their thumbs and still get paid, and so they're not trying too hard.

"Why doesn't the Governor take advantage of that?" asked Tanya. "Put good people in there, make it an entity for good instead of for corruption like it was under Jack Lewis?"

"Couple of reasons." I said. "First, who are those 'good people' you want in there? Point being, the corruption is still in there, if dormant now. Second, the Governor really wants to put the NTF, if not the whole SBI, clean out of existence. If he tries to refurbish the NTF, he has to fund it... and Katherine Woodburn would be all over that."

"And then we're right back to the 'corruption' discussion." Teresa said astutely.

"Still..." said Tanya. "I guess the best way to say it is that we're getting a lot of cooperation between local jurisdictions, and Mary still has close ties to Midtown, but a State unit that could be a clearinghouse of information and help us coordinate all over the State would be really helpful."

"I know." I said. "Hmmm... I wonder who we could put in charge of such a unit. I wonnnnn-der who that could be..."

"Yeah." said Teresa, seeing my face and taking up the bit. "Someone who has worked at the State level, and has that experience already."

"And experience leading drug and vice units." I said.

"Don't. Even. Joke." said Tanya, who absolutely did not share our amusement.

Teresa and I chuckled, then I brought Tanya back to the lure. "Don't worry, Tanya. I'll fight anyone to the death that wants to take you away from me and the TCPD." Teresa nodded vigorously in agreement. That made Tanya much happier, and her rosy cheeks and perkiness returned.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

12:00 high noon, Thursday, October 25th. Inspector General Horace S. Wellman stepped up to the bank of microphones in the atrium of City Hall, which was set up in front of a throng of reporters.