The Four Boxes of Liberty Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you for coming." said Wellman. "After our review of Monday's shooting incident, we have found that Corporals Hicks and Gunddottar acted properly in returning fire to stop the suspects from continuing to shoot, which would have led to the deaths of Detective Parker and Lt. Holloway."

"I am aware that some, especially in the Media, are saying that the Police returning fire endangered innocent citizens." continued Wellman. "However, the criminals's gunfire was already endangering other people, and we have determined that the actual Police gunfire was from close range, and did not add to the danger to the Public, but served to mitigate it."

To the shock of every non-Media person there, the Press asked no questions when the floor was opened up to them... except one: Amber Harris said "The Town & County Council has asked for a Board of Inquiry on this Police shooting incident. Will you make your report available to the Board of Inquiry?"

"The report is now a matter of the public record." said Wellman. "As a courtesy, we will send a copy to the Council."

"But will you send your findings to the Board of Inquiry?" Amber repeated.

"The report is now a matter of the public record. As a courtesy, we will send a copy to the Council." repeated Wellman.

"But what about the Board of Inquiry?" yelled Amber.

"I just answered that question twice." said Wellman. "Since there are apparently no more questions, this press conference is concluded." He turned and walked back into the hallways of City Hall.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Troy family sat down to supper at the Mountain Nest. Dinner was hotdogs and 'fixins', which meant that Laura did the 'cooking'.

"Where's Mom?" I asked.

"She's having dinner with Mrs. Williams." said Laura. I noted a strangely evasive quality in her voice.

"And she's packing to go to Ap-ple Grove." said Carole. I glanced over at Laura, who gave me a 'we will discuss that later' look.

"O-kay." I said. "How was your day at school, Carole?"

"It was good." said Carole. "I got a 'hundred per-cent' on the math test."

"That's very good!" I said.

"I remembered Marcie Harper's video, so it was easy." said Carole. Under 'Police interrogation', Carole told me how her class would go to the library on Wednesdays and watch a video by Marcie Harper about math or spelling.

"Daddy," said Carole, "they told us we can wear Bulldog colors tomorrow. Can Marie and I wear our No. 10 Wildcat jerseys?"

"We'll talk about that after supper." I said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After supper, I had Carole come along to help me with taking the dogs out. She was eager to go with me. We sat on the metal mesh 'sofa' in the backyard while the dogs inspected their territory.

"Now Carole," I said, "if you wear your Wildcat jersey, the Bulldogs fans will give you a hard time. Are you ready for that?"

"Yes sir." said Carole. "They can't stop me from being a proud Wild-cat!"

"Okay, good." I said. "You know what your Mom and I told you, that if anyone ever touches your body, you're to scream loudly for them to stop, and then run to a teacher and have them call me?"

"Yes sir." said Carole.

"Well, it's no different here." I said. "If they tease you, you have to roll with it. But if anyone threatens to hurt you, hits you, or touches you, you don't have to take that. You scream and run to a teacher and demand they call me if anyone touches you. Got it?"

"Yes sir." said Carole. "Marie knows, too."

"Good." I said. "By the way... you said Grandma is going to Apple Grove?"

"Yes, Daddy." Carole said. "She told Mommy she's visiting friends this weekend."

"Okay." I said. "Listen. You know how I told you not to lie?"

"Yes, Daddy." Carole said. "And I haven't lied to you."

"I'm glad to hear that." I said. "You're not in trouble, either. What I wanted to tell you is that sometimes you see and hear things that others don't. And while you should not lie, and you should always speak up to prevent someone from being accused of doing something they did not do, there are times when it's better to just keep the truth inside you. Just because you know something doesn't mean you have to tell it."

"Like The Case of the Missing Stringbeans," said Carole, "when we didn't snitch on Bowser."

"Exactly." I said.

"Because nobody likes a narc." Carole said.

I was absolutely stunned. "Yes.' I said. "But where did you hear that?"

"From Jameis." Carole said. "He says black kids like him are told not to talk to the Police, that nobody likes a narc."

"Well," I said, "since I am the Police, if you see a crime or someone hurting someone, then you need to speak up, at least to me. At the same time, there are times when it's better just to keep the truth inside you, maybe to not hurt someone's feelings. As you get older, you'll know which is the right way to go."

"I know now!" Carole exclaimed. "I'm already five years old!" I just shook my head. Five years old. Already knows it all. I didn't expect that until Carole was a teenager, I thought to myself with great amusement... and greater trepidation...

Part 9 - Birthday Blues (and Reds)

Friday, October 26th. It was my 35th birthday, and I was grateful to be alive to celebrate it, I thought as I got up at 4:30am. I did my cardio on the stationary bike and a decent upper-body workout on the Bowflex, then did my toilet, as our British cousins would say.

At 5:30am, I went into the kitchen to get some cereal, only to find that my mom was up and making pancakes.

"Hi Mom." I said, giving her a kiss on the cheek. "This is nice."

"Well it is your birthday, son." my mom said. "But I admit that I'm up early because I'm going to go to Apple Grove, and visit some of my old friends up there. With that game going on, it would be a good time to get away from here, wouldn't you say?"

"I don't blame you for that." I said. "I am curious about the reasons you're going in the first place, though."

My mother hesitated for a moment, turned some pancakes over on the griddle, then said "Not much gets by you, son, so I might as well just tell you: I am considering moving back to Apple Grove."

"Why?" I asked, trying very hard to hide my complete shock. "I mean, if that's what you want to do, I understand. But you've got your friends here, your Police friends like Lady Ironside to solve cases with, and of course grandchildren and great-grandchildren to watch grow up."

"That is true... I would miss the little ones dearly." said my Mom.

"So what is it--- oh... Elizabeth." I said.

"Yes." said my mother. "Ever since that day you tricked us into thinking she'd died in that building explosion, only for me to see her in this very house..." (Author's note: 'Women's Work', Ch. 03.)

"All I can say, son," my mother finished, "is that between what happened with her growing up, and her becoming Jewish and an Israeli agent, it is becoming impossible for me to accept your peace with her."

"What about Todd?" I asked.

"Todd is very good young man." said my mom. "Admittedly to my very great surprise. I really thought he was going down the dark path, as his mother and his brother Ned did. But he did not."

"You can thank one Teresa Croyle for that." I said. "He's been head-over-heels in love with her from the day he first saw her, though he'll never admit it."

"Yezzz." said my mother thoughtfully. "But he's too close to his mother, also, and I'm very concerned about that. In any case, I've been considering a move back to my true home---"

"Where's that, Grandma?"

The voice was Carole's. She'd come up the steps to the breakfast room, carrying what looked like one of her self-written story books. Bowser had gone to the backdoor to be let out, so I had not heard him come up.

"Hey, Fussbudget." I said. "Your grandmother lived in Apple Grove for a long time, during the time I was your age and growing up, so that was her home. By the way, you're up early today."

"Yes Daddy." said Carole. "I'm up early to give you your birth-day present." She extended the booklet. I was more impressed that she was remembering the date as my birthday. I also noted her excitement to be giving me this gift.

"Why don't we take Bowser and Buddy out, and you and I can look at this outside, okay?" I suggested.

"Okay, Daddy!" said Carole, who was always very happy to go out with me to take the dogs out. She bundled up in her coat and we went out.

The story book was entitled 'A Day In The Life Of The Iron Crowbar'. It was illustrated by Marie, and showed mostly me doing what I do most days: Carole and me sitting on the metal chair as we took Bowser and Buddy out, me driving in my Police SUV, me busting a perp (with a red candy cane representing my crowbar), and then a two-page spread of a family gathering with Laura, Jim, Molly and the boys, Cindy and Callie, Todd and Teresa, their kids, my mom... and Chief Griswold, who was shown carrying a fishing pole.

"This is awesome!" I said, hugging Carole, who was beaming with pride. "Thank you very much." I kissed her on the forehead as the dogs began moseying back after doing their business and inspecting their territory. We went back inside, and I made sure to have my mom look at the book as we ate a hearty pancake breakfast, joined by Laura and Jim...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"... happy birthday tooo youuuuuuu!" sang a chorus in MCD at 6:50am as I blew out the candles on the 'doughnut cake', a 2x3x2 hexagon of doughnuts stacked five-deep, totaling 35 doughnuts. Only in a Police Headquarters would such a cake be expected to be found. I then took my doughnut and got out of the way as the cake was mercilessly dismantled by doughnut-loving Police Officers.

After Jerome Davis poured me some coffee, I sat down near the back of MCD (furthest end from the TV monitor array) and ate. Then the Chief came in the door to the back hallway, and crooked his finger for me to come into the hall. I did so, not really knowing what to expect. What the Chief presented to me was a good birthday present... he was going to let me announce this arrival to the crowd.

Walking back into MCD, I said very loudly "Ladies and gentlemen! Would you please join me in welcoming Detective Teddy Parker back to MCD!" The room burst into applause as Teddy Parker came in, his scalp stitched up and wearing a neck brace to keep his upper back and neck from moving very much, which was also helped by the binding around his ribs, which were sore from the bullets that impacted his armor. He was escorted by Police Lieutenant Janice Holloway.

"For he's a jolly good fel-low, for he's a jolly good fel-low..." the group started singing. After they finished, Parker said "Aw, thanks guys. I just came in for Commander Troy's birthday party. And then I'll go downstairs and re-qualify..."

"You'll do no such thing, young man!" exclaimed a shocked-looking Chief Moynahan. Parker grinned brightly and we all realized he was pulling the ol' Chief's leg.

"Okay, you got me." said a smiling Chief. "Seriously, though, take it easy. You're out of the hospital, but you're nowhere near fully re-cuh-verrrrd."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, October 26th, from in front of City Hall. "We are bringing you reaction to the Inspector General's stunning and controversial report concerning the Officer-involved shooting last Monday!"

"Detective Teddy Parker was released from the Hospital last night, and doctors say he is recovering well." said Bettina. "Meanwhile, Inspector General Horace S. Wellman issued his findings regarding the actions of TCPD Corporals Hicks and Gunddottar, who fired at the criminals that were attempting to assassinate Police Lieutenant Janice Holloway and struck Detective Parker."

"The shocking conclusion of the report," said Bettina, "is that Hicks and Gunddottar were found to have acted correctly in returning fire despite firing into a busy street. The Inspector General's report actually states that the Public was in no worse danger from the Police firing their guns at the shooters's car than they would've been if the Police had not fired their weapons."

"We have with us Della Harlow, candidate for Sheriff." said Bettina. "Ms. Harlow, what is your opinion of this ruling?"

"It is... just unbelievable what Sheriff Allgood's Police gunslingers are able to get away with in this County, Bettina." said Harlow. "As your next Sheriff, I will make sure Police Officers are better trained, follow well-established guidelines that protect the People first, and get rid of corrupt influences like Commander Donald Troy!"

"Thank you, Ms. Harlow." said Bettina, who looked into the camera as she said: "The Town & County Council has already voted to send this incident to a Board of Inquiry, and we can only hope that they'll do a much more thorough job of investigating the Police actions than Daniel Allgood's subordinates did..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

4:00pm, Friday, October 26th. With 2d Shift coming on, we went into our 'double coverage' mode. 1st Shift would stay on until midnight, along with 2d Shift; then 2d Shift would stay on until 8:00am, along with 3d Shift; then 3d Shift would stay on until 4:00pm. This would continue until 8:00am Sunday morning. Yes, this cost a good deal of money, but the University paid some of it, and it was the best way to have extra manpower if needed.

At 5:00pm, I was called into the Chief's office. "What, you think it's your birthday or something?"

"As a matter of fact, sir..." I said, knowing there was a humorous repartée about to happen.

"Well, good thing it is." said the Chief. "Because you're dismissed for the day. Go home... and as you are so fond of saying, that is not a request. Have a great birthday celebration with your family."

"Thank you, sir." I said. And I followed those orders as fast as my 35-year-old body was capable of...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"How did it go at school, Carole?" I asked my daughter, who was still wearing her red No. 10 Wildcat jersey.

"It was good." Carole said.

"No problems wearing your Wildcat jersey?" I asked.

"No sir." said Carole. "Shawn Redmond was being mean to Marie for wearing hers, but I got in his face." Laura's eyes widened at the use of such language from her five-year-old daughter. I suppressed laughter.

"Who is Shawn Redmond?" I asked.

"He's that orange-headed kid." said Carole, as if that would make me understand who Shawn was. I was also amused how Carole called him 'kid', until she said her next sentence: "He's really mean. He tried to kick a cat at recess." That caused Laura and I to glance at each other.

"That's not a good thing." I said. "Were you and Marie the only ones wearing Wildcat jerseys?"

"No sir." said Carole. "There were a few others, but only me and Marie in my class. Tommy was wearing a blue Florida jersey and Shawn called him names, too. And Jameis was wearing an orange Miami jersey. He says he's going to play for the Hurrrr-i-canes and then play in the NFL..."

Part 10 - Game Day

Saturday, October 27th. I went onto the deck of the Cabin at 7:00am, coffee cup in hand. The weather was clear and would be warm in the afternoon, but cooling off some in the evening when the game was scheduled to be played.

There was already a huge crowd in the quad for the ESPN 'Game Day' show, and I could hear them from my perch on the mountainside. I could also hear the construction going on next door, as the building of Todd and Teresa's new home was in high gear. It was going to look good, I thought to myself.

I was dressed in my red golf/polo shirt with the TCPD Badge embroidered into it, khaki pants, and black high-top work shoes. I'd have my Police belt on when I left here, and my badge was on a necklace that could be worn under or over the shirt. And of course, I had the 'girdle' on under the shirt.

Other Officers would be wearing this 'casual' uniform, but only Your Iron Crowbar was permitted to wear a red shirt. The Deputy Chief was authorized to wear a green shirt (and any Officer could on St. Patrick's Day), and everyone else had to wear light blue or dark blue.

"Good morning, Darling." said Laura as she came out onto the deck. She was wearing a University-blue dress and navy high heel pumps, and looking mighty tasty to her husband right now.

"Good morning, my love." I replied. "I perceive you're going to be in University President Wellman's box for the game?"

"Yes." said Laura. "And at the President's Office for the three hours prior to the game. Big-time alumni and donor reception, for which President Wellman issued an 'all hands on deck' call. Where are you going to be?"

"I'm going to take Carole to the Steele's home, where she and Marie will be cheering the Wildcats to victory as they watch on TV, then on to Headquarters. Then I'm egregiously using my Police authority to be on the sidelines today. Hence, the uniform, albeit the casual, comfortable one."

"Oh, you love wearing your uniform to work." Laura replied, which was true. "And I'll tell everyone you're working hard, which gives you the perfect excuse to be nowhere near all the Academia bitches and bastards."

"If you want me there," I said, wondering if she was being sarcastic, "I'll call in and take myself offline, and escort you to your function."

"Nooooo." said Laura. "I was being serious: you've got a good excuse, and I have a good one to explain your absence. And you'd be bored out of your gourd at that function, like you usually are with Academicians whose minds are nowhere near as sharp as yours." (She was not being sarcastic about that, I knew.)

"That's true." I said. "Okay, let's go in and eat... if Carole has not destroyed the pancake batter with a full box of salt, like she did last time..." Laura laughed at that memory, which had been a lot more 'salty' at the time...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Todd gave me and Callie his tickets." said Cindy as we sat in my office, watching ESPN's 'Game Day'. "He says that after last year I am the Bulldogs's good luck charm. He and Teresa are going to the Wellman reception with all the Big Boy Donors, then sit in the President's box."

I got out my iPhone and sent a text. "I'm telling Todd to protect Laura from the boozy alumni." I said. "Tanya volunteered to be in charge here at the Station, and I took her up on that. She'll be at the Command Post downstairs."

"Just in case, huh?" Cindy said.

"Yes." I replied. "If, perish forbid, someone nuked the stadium during the game, the Town would be obliterated... but I'm told our basement areas might be a place where people could survive the blast."

"Only to flood if the walls were breached, with the River right next to us." Cindy said. "And why are we thinking such bad things? I want to think good things... like by how many points the Bulldogs are going to crush the Wildcats."

"Well, let's see what Coach Corso says."

ESPN's guest picker was Nick Eastwood, former Bulldogs standout quarterback. We listened as they made their picks.

"Next, Florida vs. Georgia in the big SEC showdown in Jacksonville. Desmond?"

"I'm going with Florida's Fun-And-Gun over Georgia's conservative zone-block rushing offense." said Desmond.

Nick was next: "Well, Georgia's mascot is the Bulldog, which makes them righteous. So I'll pick them to make this a great Bulldog day all the way around." The crowd cheered.

"Not so fast, my friend!" said Coach Corso. "I picked the Gators to win the SEC this year, and I'm sticking to it. Florida! and not all that close."

"Like the Wildcats, Georgia has a young team that's coming on strong." said Kirk. "I'm picking the Dawgs in an upset."

"Okay," said the host, "and now for the biggie." The crowed cheered loudly. "The Number 1 ranked Bulldogs are seasoned, and they have 'Train No. 93', Derrick Waters, the All-America defensive end, who will very likely be the number one draft pick in next year's NFL draft. The No. 3 Wildcats are young, but their rebuilt defense under Defensive Coordinator Erskine Marshall is impressive with Freshmen linebacker Davis Smith and safety Gregg Scott, and of course wide receiver Jamaal Washington on offense. Desmond, who do you say?"