The Friendly Bar

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And you are here to meet relatives over the holidays?"

"No, I'm not, but please don't ask any more. You have been very kind and I don't want to lie to you."

"Fair enough. I didn't mean to be nosey, just keep the conversation going."

"Was that rude of me? I didn't mean to be. It's just that it is better for both of us the less you know. Please forgive me."

"No need to apologise, I'm not offended. Been there, done it and wearing the t-shirt, you might say. At least I think so."

"Really? Tell me."

"Another time maybe. I will only say that I owned a bar in another town a few years ago when a young girl came in and asked for a beer, and leave it at that."

Just then the front door opened again. The person that entered was dressed for the weather, head to toe, and stopped just inside the door, brushing off the snow before looking up, then froze in place.

"Jack?!"

It was barely audible and sounded like a plea. Then her knees gave way and she sank to the floor.

I was probably as shaken as Jessie by the sudden meeting, because that was who it was, but I had jumped the counter and was at her side before the girl I had been talking to had stood up. Jessie had her eyes open and looked at me but she was white as a ghost in her face. I reached out and locked the door, then picked her up and carried her to the office and lay her down on the couch before rushing out to poor two drinks.

With them in my hands I returned to see the girl opening up Jessie's coat and taking off gloves, muffler and boots, placing her feet high. I gave her a glass to help Jessie drink and sat down in an armchair, sipping from my own.

Jessie had not changed much: the hair was a little longer and she was a little thinner, that was it. We sat there looking at each other in silence, sipping the drinks.

"Do you want me to leave you two alone?" the girl wanted to know.

"Not on my account." I said.

"No, please stay Anne ." Jessie pleaded. "Even if you and I haven't met in person before I can use your support right now."

We were silent again, then Jessie blurted out:

"I'm sorry Jack, for what I caused and for leaving like that, but I thought it was best to leave you before I caused more damage."

"You could have said goodbye."

"No, I couldn't, not after what happened. You ended up in jail and lost the bar because of me, because you helped me. I couldn't take looking you in the eyes after that, I just couldn't, so I skipped town. I told Honey I was leaving."

"I know, I talked to her. I still wish you had told me. If anything you owed me that."

"So you could tell me eye to eye that it was my fault? I knew that anyway so there was no need."

"None of it was your fault! You tried to buy a beer when underage and was turned down. You went to sleep behind a bar. You accepted a place to sleep. You accepted help offered. There's nothing wrong with that. We screwed up when we started to talk about it in public. We wanted you to stay and left our brains behind. I paid the price for that but it doesn't make it your fault."

"But I felt that it was, still do. If I had stayed with my foster parents it would never had happened."

"True, and you would probably be dead, just as they turned out dead. Is that really what you wish had happened? Is it?"

"No." she whispered. "But it had been better for you!"

"Listen now, and listen good. A little bad for a few people is better than much bad for one. It's true that if you hadn't run away none of that would have happened, but you can't say what had happened instead. You'd be dead, but I wouldn't have met you so what? Instead of being with you I might have been hit by a bus. Instead of being here tonight I might have been a vegetable in the hospital.

Would that have been better? You started a chain of events. Had it been better if no one ever did anything? I can't answer that and neither can you, so stop asking! You did what you had to do with no evil intent, that's all. But you should have said goodbye."

"I'm sorry, Jack!"

She fought to stand up and moved over to me, put her arms around me and held me for an eternity as it seemed. Anne looked at us with a curious gaze but said nothing. Finally I freed myself and turned Jessie's face in the girls direction.

"You haven't introduced us yet, but I have a feeling Anne isn't your long lost sister."

"No, she isn't. She is in the same position I was back then and I have offered to try and help her. She will stay at my place. I guess we'd better get going. It was nice to see you again Jack, and thank you for everything you did for me."

They redressed in their outerwear.

"I will come by another time, Jack, and we can talk more. Bye now."

They left before I got out another word.

Seeing Jessie again was both pleasure and pain. I was glad that she seemed to be okay, but I was also reminded of how much I had missed her. She had left no number or address this time either so I couldn't contact her. Several weeks passed without hearing from her. Then one day when I came to the bar Anne was there waiting at the back door.

"Hi, Anne! Glad to see you again." I yelled as soon as I recognized her.

"Sh! Keep it down!" she half-whispered as she looked around. "Please hurry and let me in. I have to talk to you."

I took out the keys and unlocked the door, opening it for her. She almost ran through it.

"Jessie has disappeared!" she said when we were inside "She should have come home last night after work but never showed and I'm worried."

"Is it because of me? I mean meeting me again."

"No! It was a shock for her, but she said she was happy about it. I'm afraid it might be because of me, but at the same time it might be an accident."

"You haven't asked around, called hospitals or the police?"

"That's the problem: I can't call the police. Officially I'm dead and I prefer to stay that way for now. It's complicated but trust me, it's for the best."

"Her job?"

"I called them this morning: she called in sick last night. When she left home she said she was going to work. It doesn't add up."

"Where does she work?"

I sat down by the phone in the office.

"Mary's bar and grill. She's a waitress."

I looked in the phone book and dialled the number. After a few signals there was an answer.

"Hello, my name is Jack Donovan, a friend of Jessie Parker. I was supposed to meet her this morning and she never showed. I have called her both at home and on her cell without answer and I am a bit worried. Has she by any chance taken an extra shift and forgot to call me? . . . No, we were supposed to have breakfast together at my place and she never misses it without leaving a message, she is very reliable. . . . I see, when was that? . . . At 6 yesterday evening? . . . How did she sound, I mean, was she very sick, going to the hospital, or . . .? I see. Well, thank you very much for your help. Bye."

I put the phone down and sat looking at it.

"What did they say?"

"She called in sick at 6, saying she had a fever and were losing her voice, they could barely hear what she said. She had slept all day and just woken up when she called and would stay at home for at least a week. Like you say, it doesn't add up. Can I borrow your keys? I want to be able to tell the police that I have been at her apartment myself."

"Sure."

She told me the address and I left her at the bar. When I got there and unlocked the door I was met by chaos. The furnitures were tipped over, porcelain was shattered all over the floor. I made a quick search and left.

On my way back to the bar I called the police, reporting a missing person and a break in. I told them about the sick-call but said I had seen her leave, never mentioning Anne.

Back at the bar I sat down opposite Anne.

"Talk to me. Tell me everything."

"It's better for your sake if you know nothing about it."

"Could be, but now it's about Jessie, not me, so talk."

She sighed.

"Okay. Like Jessie I have passed through several foster homes, and just like for her the last place was a couple of drug dealers. They were also killed but I was there and saw it. I had my cell and took a few photos before I left and ran. I had my laptop with mobile connection and my bag in a shed nearby. I used the shed when I needed to get away and be alone. I chatted with some friends I had made on the web, just to pull myself together, and mentioned what had happened. I was told to get out of town, fast, and one of them mentioned this town and gave me a phone-number to call. I made an anonymous call to the police, jumped on a bus and left. Last week I got the feeling that we were followed. Jessie laughed and said that feeling was normal when you are hiding and told me to relax, but I thought I recognized people at different places. Then this happened."

"Have you shown the pictures to the police?"

"No! How could I? I'm 16, they would send me to another home and I can't take another place like that! Never again!"

"Did Jessie tell you what happened to her and me?"

"Yes, the first night I stayed with her. She said she would do the same thing you did, hide me until I was 18 and could decide for myself."

"I thought so. But listen Anne, I think it's fair to assume that you have been followed, that they, whoever they might be, have followed you here knowing you have something that is dangerous for them. Maybe they traced your chat, it isn't that hard to do with a mobile connection. If that is what happened they probably have Jessie and will take you too soon. What do you do then? And what do you think will happen after that?"

She stared at the table and didn't answer.

"Jessie means well, but she has missed a few details. She never saw the murder, the search for her was done by the police, she had no evidence, she needed to stay hidden 2 months. You saw the murders, the search for you is not by the police, you have evidence and have to stay hidden for two years. It's impossible, can't be done. You must turn over the photos to the cops to stay alive so they can take care of those who are looking for you, and hopefully find Jessie. What happens after that is another chapter. You need to take one page at a time. Do you understand?"

She nodded, tears now in her eyes.

"I can try and get in contact with Copcop, the cops that helped us back then, and see if they have any suggestions, but first a sign on the door."

I picked up a sign saying 'Closed' and put it on the front door before I returned to the office.

"Hello, I'm looking for Andy or Tess Malone." I said when I was connected. "Yes, I'll hold. . . . Tess? Temp from the old bar here. How are you? . . . Well, you know, up and down, but I get by. Listen, I'm in need of some help, much like the last time but worse, much worse. . . . No, it's not in your town, not even the state. Federal I would guess."

I told her what I knew.

"Tess, I think that Jessie might have been kidnapped by them and the witness is possibly next. . . . No, I'm calling over a landline . . . Thanks Tess, I appreciate it. . . . I'll be waiting. Bye."

I went out in the bar and sat in a booth with Anne, talking about nothing important to pass the time. It was an hour before the phone rang.

"Jack here." I answered. "Yes, that is right. . . . Yes, she's here. . . . Okay, but how do I know it's you and not someone from the other side? . . . Okay, tell them." There were a knock on the back door, followed by three more, then another one. "Okay, got it." I hung up the phone.

"Anne, we're leaving. FBI is here."

She looked surprised and scared but stood up. Opening the back door we found a Hummer with dark windows parked right outside, doors wide open. Four people stood guard facing different directions and a fifth motioned us to get in the car. As soon as we had taken our seats the others followed and we were off.

Driving up and down through town I saw no apparent general heading but half an hour later we passed a heavy gate to a walled-off garden where we stopped. The guards followed us up a stair and into a dull concrete building. We passed a gate with two guards watching monitors, I guess some kind of metal detector or something, walked through a corridor and was finally greeted in a conference room by a man in his late fifties wearing a black suit. All the guards had left us by then except one, a woman, and she closed the door and sat down beside us.

"I'm director Hollyfield, responsible for this area, and this is miss Davies, assigned to protect you. I understand that you, young lady, have some photos relevant in a Florida drug deal murder. Is that correct?"

He was so square and dull that he could replace the building without anyone noticing the change. Anne brought her cell out and flipped through the menus before giving it to him.

He gave it to Miss Davies at once.

"Angela, could you . . .?" He let the sentence hang, but she stood and plugged a contact into the phone, and the pictures appeared on a large screen.

She flipped back and forth between them and then sat down. A minute later there was a knock on the door and an older woman put paper copies of the pictures on the table. They obviously had the tools needed.

The pictures showed an execution rather than a murder. Two men and a woman on their knees, two men standing behind them with machine guns, flashes from the front of the weapons and the three victims laying on the floor in pools of red liquid. The faces of the two men were very clear.

"Good, very good. This is all we need to put them away. Then you suspect that a friend of yours might have been kidnapped. Why?"

He started to get on my nerves, but I explained everything again.

"That sounds very plausible, Mr Donovan. Anyone can access a mobile connection today and then they would have the phone number. No big problem to track it after that. Angela, can you handle this too?"

"Of course, Director. Any limits?"

"No limits. Use all resources available. It is after all a probable kidnapping."

He turned to us.

"Thank you for your help. Angela will take care of everything from now on. Good luck finding your friend."

He stood up, shook our hands and left without another word.

"Follow me and I will show you your quarters for the coming days."

She disconnected the phone and gave it to Anne, gathered the photos and led us through other corridors, through the garden to a small wood panelled house at the back. It turned out to be a nice, ordinary home with three bedrooms, a living room and a kitchen.

"This is where we will stay. You will be perfectly safe, there are guards outside and a 12 foot wall with barbed wire top and sensors beyond them. This is your room Anne." she opened a door. "And this is yours, Jack." another open door. "There are clothes for at least a few changes in the wardrobes that should fit. I sleep in the room over there." she pointed to the last door.

I was perplexed.

"You are staying here with us all the time? And you have clothes our sizes?"

"Clothe sizes are usually shown on receipts so that was simple to arrange. Most people today uses 'plastic money' and that is easy to follow. I will stay here when I'm not needed elsewhere. I have to get as many details about your friend as possible to be able to find her. We have info on the gang that ought to be responsible, but need a lead to start digging. Once we have that it should take no more than a day or two to find her."

That was the start of endless interviews. Angela was exceptionally structured and started with present time and worked backwards. That left Anne to do the talking to begin with and me taking over later. The similarities between Anne's and Jessie's histories seemed to interest Angela and we went through them a dozen times.

"There is something here that feels wrong." she noted. "Mistakes are made, that is only natural, but two girls meeting after being placed with drug dealers indicate that it is quite common, and that in turn says that it is not mistakes at all."

"Are you saying that it was done on purpose?!"

"It looks that way."

"But for Christ's sake, why? There must be a reason in that case."

"I can only guess, but one possibility is that someone wants to increase sales among young people, kids. Think about how they network today. One kid can have hundreds of 'friends' online as well as in real life, and they in turn have hundreds of others. One kid who starts selling or convinces others to try can reach thousands. It works for other purposes so why not dealing drugs? The question is how widespread this is. Of two known they represents two states."

The next morning Angela had news:

"We know where and how she was take. We've got it on video."

"What? How?"

"Anne said that Jessie took the bus to work, always, because parking was difficult, so we checked the most logical routes. There's a lot of cameras for surveillance that no one thinks about. She changed bus down-town and waited for the second one when a van drove up. It looked like they asked for directions or something and grabbed her. Simple really. No one noticed anything strange. We're tracking the van now."

"I must admit that you work fast."

"We try but the question is if it is fast enough?"

She looked very serious and what she implied sent shivers down my spine. How long would they be interested in keeping Jessie alive?

Angela wasn't only effective in leading the investigation, she also turned out to be a caring human being. She saw how it all affected us and tried to take our minds off it. She had long talks with us, together and separately, both about the development and about ordinary things.

She also arranged for us to use the gym and pool. I was alone in the gym after lunch when she came in dressed in a tight top and shorts and started to run on the treadmill next to me. At that moment I wished we were running on a real track instead so I could stay a step behind and watch her. She was very trim and well muscled, slim but absolutely not skinny. I estimated her age to be 30, give or take a few years, but she had nothing to fear from women 10 years younger when it came to body.

Her best feature though was a fantastic smile. It seldom showed, but when it did its warmth could melt gold. There was a little hint of it playing in the corners of her mouth.

"I didn't think you were a gym-guy, Jack."

"Are you saying that I don't look fit?"

I meant it as a joke but managed to hide my smile. Her smile vanished and she blushed a little.

"No, no. That's not what I meant. Please forgive me. I meant you seem to be the type who rather run out in the woods than visit a gym. You look very fit for your age."

"So now I look old, is that it?"

It got harder to hide my smile but I managed.

"No, not at all! Sorry, my attempt at small-talk isn't working very well. I'll shut up."

I started to laugh.

"Relax, Angela, I was joking. I have a weird sense of humour, that's all. The first time I met Jessie I pissed her off because of it. Seriously, I took no offence. You are right, I hate gyms but there's no alternative here. If I had a choice I would run in a forest instead of on this thing and I would chop wood instead of lifting weights. But owning a bar I need to be where the customers are and they are here in town. Therefore I'm also here in town, running in gyms."

Her smile started to creep back.

"So, not only are you an old, unfit guy, you're an asshole too."

"Sounds about right, but I'm a nice, friendly kind of asshole most of the time."

That made her laugh.

"I'm curious Jack. On two occasions young girls enter your bar, order drinks you're not allowed to serve them and you decide to help them, even ending up in jail and losing the bar the first time. Why? Do you fall in love with them and hope to take them to bed, or what?"