The Friendly Bar

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Good questions. As if I had never asked myself why?

"I'm not sure I can answer that, but let me ask you this, and I'm not changing the subject: why does a beautiful, young woman like you work for FBI, risking to be killed, when you could be a fashion-model and earn millions with no risk at all?"

She was stunned for a moment.

"Well, thank you for the compliment, but that is not how I see myself. Anyway, my goal is to help make this world a better, safer, place. The risk of getting killed is real, sure, but not that big if you are prepared and careful. You could get killed in a hold-up going to work, so there is not much difference to other peoples lives."

"I inherited a bar from an uncle and decided to try and run it." I told her "I met a lot of interesting people there and they became my family. We helped each other in what way we could when it was needed and it became a way of life. The bar in itself was not important, it was just the means to meet the people. When Jessie walked in it was obvious that something was wrong. At first I wasn't sure she needed help so I joked around, but when I found her asleep beside the back door it became obvious. After that it just rolled on until I couldn't stop. It cost me in the end, but that was not her fault. Then the question if I fall in love? In a way I guess I do, but not with hopes of taking them to bed. Far from it. It's more of a father or big brother thing. They need help and I help, then I get attached to them emotionally and want to help them even more to get a good life. With Jessie that turned out bad and Anne has not been around long enough yet, but I suppose she will get there also. Do you think I'm a dirty guy now too?"

"No, I would say a rare guy instead. Very rare. Getting them emotionally dependent and laying on there backs with legs spread would make you a normal, dirty, guy. As you can hear I don't think much of the ordinary guy. I have seen too much both in private and at work for that."

I had been running for quite some time and slowed the treadmill to a slow jogging pace before I hit the shower.

"Well, Angela, it was nice talking, but I'm giving this up for now. I hope we can do it again some time, or even better, run outside."

"I'd love to. Take the time to sit in the sauna for awhile. It's wonderful after running. See you later."

Sauna? I had not seen anything like that when I changed but no doubt she knew this place better than me, so I looked around the changing room and there it was: a door beyond the showers. It radiated warm moist air and looked nice so I thought: why not?

Sitting on the upper bench with my back against the wall I relaxed and closed my eyes. Some time later I heard the door open and someone entered but I didn't bother to look. I didn't know anyone anyway. Then Angela said:

"I'm not complaining in any way, but this is actually a mixed area."

I sat up straight and looked around. She sat a yard away wrapped in a towel, facing me. I had brought a towel too but I was sitting on it. I hurried to cover up and she laughed softly.

"I'm sorry! I didn't know it was mixed, in my experience all public saunas are split in one for each gender. I'm really sorry!" I apologised.

"Shut up already. I guessed this would happen, a revenge for you toying with me earlier."

"Geez, you play rough when you repay your debts."

"You think so? I think I was kind of nice, after all I didn't cuff you and tow you through the office."

"Thanks for that consideration. Now I will redraw to the showers and try to cure the heart attack."

"You do that. Thanks for the peek."

At two that night it was time for the second shock from her when she shook me awake.

"Jesus Christ, Angela! Are you trying to kill me?" I spat as I sat upright.

There was no hint of a smile on her face, on the contrary she looked very serious.

"I'm sorry to wake you, but does Jessie recognise your voice?"

"I think so, at least she did before. Why?"

"We have found her, but unfortunately we need to act at once and I need someone to get to her, someone she trusts, and get her out fast. It might be dangerous but this is crucial."

"Even if she doesn't recognise my voice she recognise my face."

"Yes, I guess that is better than nothing. Are you willing to take the risk? There will be hell to pay but I'm kind of depending on it."

"Let's go." was all I said.

Angela explained the situation while I dressed and put on the bulletproof vest she handed me.

"They hold her in a warehouse and we think they are about to kill her soon. There are three entrances and she is held as far from them as she can possibly get. We know that there are guards but not how many or where. She is tied up and must be taken away without a sound before we charge in."

She showed me a drawing of the layout.

"We enter here and cover you." she pointed on the drawing. "You have to get over here, behind the crates, before you go after her. Then you take her back the same way. Any questions?"

"If I'm discovered?"

"Then you're in trouble, possibly dead. These guys don't mess around. The only reason why I let you do this is that it gives her a better chance. If I had another day things would be different, but I can't risk it."

"I'll do what I can."

I ran through the door with guns ready to fire . . ., no it was nothing like that. I was the third of six persons that carefully entered the door, Angela by my side. My pulse raced as if I was running a marathon and still I was just walking slowly.

It was almost pitch black between the crates and it felt as if I was about to fall into empty space with every step I took. We advanced slowly along the passage until we reached the main stock street going left. To the right was a wall and in front was a passage ending at another wall. A faint light came from the left and I saw Angela signal to the others to spread to the right and left sides of the stock street and continue that way, staying in the dark.

Halfway to the light everyone stopped and slipped into the side passages, waiting. She gave me the sign to continue and held up a hand with fingers crossed: I knew what she meant and hoped she had a good prayer to go with it.

Crouching I continued from shelf to shelf, looking right and left at every opening. I started to pick up the sound of voices in front of me and moved even more carefully. To the right I saw that a shelf was missing at the bottom and moved towards it to stay deeper in the shadows.

When I came out on the other side I saw Jessie laying on the floor 10 yards from me, tied up like a turkey and with duct-tape over eyes and mouth. So much for recognising me, I thought. Her clothes, or as much of them that was left, was stained with blood, as was her body. Looking around I saw no threat and hurried to her side and kneeled.

"Jessie, it's me, Jack!" I whispered in her ear. "Stay quiet, I'm going to get you out of here."

I didn't know if she was conscious, either way she made no sound and didn't move. I got my arms under her back and knees and lifted her up, starting on my way back, when all hell broke loose. A shrill siren started to wail right beside me.

I felt a tug from her legs but didn't care, I just hurried under the shelves to get out of sight when the first shot echoed behind me and I felt a heavy hand hitting my back, pushing me forward. In seconds there was shooting all around and I was clear about one thing: there was not a chance that I could make my way back to the door as planned.

By instinct I understood that it was better to lay down than stand up so I lay Jessie against a shelf and covered her with my body as good as possible. I had no more than done so when pain washed over me and everything went black.

"Hi there, Flaunter. Welcome back."

A female voice talked by my side as I opened my eyes, but the light was too sharp for me to see and my brain was too filled with pain to recognise the voice. I tried to move but was rewarded with more pain and changed my mind in a hurry.

"Keep still, Jack, you're hurt and mustn't move. You were lucky that they shot like old ladies, that gave us time to take them all out before they could aim right."

My eyes were beginning to adjust and a face came into focus: Angela.

"Jessie?" I croaked.

"Badly beaten up and then some, but she will be alright with time. She's in the next room. As an incentive for you to get better you can see her on the video screen over there."

She pointed towards the far wall and my eyes followed the direction of her finger. A bed with a bandaged body in it could be seen. It was impossible to identify who it was, but I trusted Angela's word. I felt much better at once.

"What happened back there? What was the siren about? I didn't think they saw me."

"They didn't. There was no need for them to see you. They had rigged her with a trigger-wire to an alarm in case she moved. When you started back you ripped the wire and the alarm went off. The first shot hit you in the back but the vest stopped it. The problem was that they were closer to you and could take the same path you took under the shelf. Like I said they were lousy shots, but from 5 yards even they couldn't miss so you took three bullets in the legs, one in an arm and one in the ass before they were eliminated. Nice job protecting Jessie, by the way."

I closed my eyes, feeling consciousness starting to slip away.

"Go back to sleep, Jack. We'll talk later."

That was the last I heard.

The following days I felt better and stayed awake for longer periods each time. Angela was there whenever I woke up and the second day she had Anne with her.

"Jack, you crazy old man! Thank you for everything, especially for protecting Jessie, I don't think I would have survived the guilt if she had died because of me."

Anne leaned over and kissed me on the cheek, a smile shining through her tears.

"That's me, her guardian angel." I joked.

"No kidding. She said the same thing. She asked me to thank you from her too."

She kissed me again, on the lips this time, blushing slightly.

"I'll leave you now, I'm sitting with Jessie."

She left and I turned to Angela.

"Is she released from the safe house?"

"Yes, as of today. She's moving back to Jessie's apartment."

"Then how come you are here? Wasn't your assignment to watch over us while we were there?"

"Yes, but putting you at risk wasn't viewed as doing that, so I had two choices: either start over from the beginning or get fired. I choose to get fired, so I have all the time in the world to be here."

"You got fired after rescuing Jessie?! I can't believe it!"

"Believe it. I knew it would happen if I took you along, but I saw no other solution to succeed, so that's it."

"I'm sorry, Angela. I really am."

I took her hand and held it.

"I know you are, but I'm not. I'm just glad I didn't cause your death. That would have ruined my week."

"Then I guess you don't know how Social services will handle Anne's case, do you?"

"As a matter of fact I do! The Director was worried and furious about the possibility that kids are placed in bad homes on purpose and raised hell. For the foreseeable future Anne is placed under my supervision to keep her away from another faulty placement. That's why she's moving back to Jessie's place: I don't have the space available right now because they are renovating back home. I talked to Jessie and it's okay with her that I stay there until she is released."

"Then what?"

"The bureau pays my salary for six months for firing me, so I have some time to find a new job. My apartment should be ready in a month or so, so I guess I will live in a motel for a week or two after Jessie is released. I've done it before, on assignments. It's okay."

"Can I ask you a personal question?"

"Sure, go ahead."

"How come you're not married? From what I can tell you ought to be high on most guys lists, and still you are single."

"How do you know I'm not married?"

"The Director introduced you as Miss Davies, so I must assume that you are not married."

"Yes, that's true. Like I told you, my views of most men aren't very flattering for them. Assholes that screw around are all too common. Then you have the job-issue, or had. When you tell a guy that you are a Federal agent they either get scared and run for the hills or they want to cuff you naked to the bed and screw you before they run. You're a sexual fantasy but not marriage material. And to be honest I'm picky. I'm not interested in hooking up with just anyone. What about you, Barman, why are you still single?"

I laughed.

"Are you serious? There is no end to the reasons. We have the reputation of being drunks. We work evenings and nights, not having any social life. We meet too many drunk women we can screw. The pay is lousy. Add to that that we see all kind of disputes between couples every night, and too many married women out looking for a one night stand. Personally I also have the difficulty that I get too involved with others problems. I don't think I would be a good husband that can give all love to one person, so I stay away from it. I would love to have kids, wife and all that, but it is after all a responsibility."

"Yes it is, isn't it? I suppose we will remain single then, both of us."

"Looks like it."

We both laughed, but for me it didn't feel honest doing so.

I was released from the hospital three weeks later. I had to use crutches to move, but Angela was there to drive me home. I was visited by Jessie the day she was released and also got the full story from her doctor. Angela had advised me not to ask, but I felt I needed to know anyway.

Beaten, whipped and tortured was the summary. She hadn't been raped but the end result was much the same and psychological therapy was recommended. She had been released the week before me but came back every day for therapy. On our way to my home I asked Angela about her stay at the motel.

"It's not a luxury resort but it's okay. The problem is that work on my apartment has been delayed. They found some problems in the basement that they had missed, so another two months is the latest schedule."

"Any leads on a new job?"

"No, not really. I haven't started to look yet, but it gets boring just sitting around. The visits with you has actually been a relief."

"Have you ever thought about working in a bar? It's quite fun if you like to meet people."

"Are you offering me a job, Jack?"

She sounded surprised.

"Maybe. The thing is that the bar has been closed since you escorted us out of there, and it needs to be opened as soon as possible. I can't handle it by myself as long as I need crutches. Jessie has her job and the therapy, Anne is too young and I need someone I can trust and knows I get along with. I trust you and know we get along, you don't have a job and I think you will fit right in. The pay stinks but it would be an experience for you. What do you say? I will throw in my guest room as a bonus, even if you can use it if you say no too."

She was quiet while she drove a few blocks.

"Okay, I will try it, but no guaranties for how long. I can quit from one day to the other."

"Great! You're hired. Let's go there at once and see what needs to be done before we open.."

General cleaning, emptying the fridge and filling up on groceries was the main things that needed to be done and I felt like the fifth wheel most of the time. I tried, but apart from wiping the chairs and tables there wasn't much I could do. Angela told me to sit down and write some 'opening the 24th signs to hang up outside when I complained too much about feeling useless. Jessie and Anne came over after calling Angela on her phone, and they helped a lot. Angela convinced me to let Anne practice a few hours each night to get out of the apartment and meet people, and Anne started a victory-dance when I finally agreed. When we arrived at the apartment a bunch of bills and letters waited for me on the floor by the door, but I was too tired to care then. A couple of sandwiches, showing Angela her room and I was off to bed.

We went over to the bar early the next day. Early compared to the time it opened that is: it was noon after all. To clear the air we left all doors and windows open, more of a psychological than necessary action really, but it felt good. It also attracted some interest from passers-by. To show off even more we sat down at one of the tables outside the front door while slicing salads and pressing fresh fruit for juices. It was sunny and the May temperature hinted of summer.

It was really nice to sit there and talk to Angela while we worked. She was dressed in a shirt/skirt combination that looked good on her despite her worries when we left home. She should have shaved her legs and armpits was one issue, she looked ridiculous in knee-long skirts was another. In the end it all came down to not being used to it after wearing trousers for many years as an agent.

"I'm afraid that I will insult you now, but the skirt really suits you. It brings out the feminine side of you." I told her.

"Thanks, but I feel like a clown, and I have to look down all the time to be sure I have something on. Too much air down there if you know what I mean. But I guess I will get used to it with time. I agree that it is the right clothes for a waitress."

"You're not a waitress, you're a barmaid and proprietors assistant, not to mention bouncer. Big difference there."

"If you want me to deliver a drop-kick in these clothes you have to pay a bonus. I have sheer silk panties on." she smiled.

"A bonus is definitely relevant in that case and I will gladly pay. Do you have something to show off the upper parts too?"

"I do, but this is beginning to resemble sexual harassment at work, so let's talk about it tonight when we get home."

"Good idea." I looked over my shoulder at a call from inside. "We're out front, Anne!"

"Hi, guys!" she called back. "I thought you would start early so I decided to join you."

She came out and sat down with us. Her clothes matched Angela's except her stripes were red instead of blue, and she was unbelievably cute.

"With you two around I'm afraid there might be a riot tonight. You look lovely, both of you."

"Thank you, Jack."

"You better look out Anne. I think the owner of this joint is a pervert, out to charm the panties off the employees." Angela winked at me.

"Absolutely not! I go for all or nothing. Just the panties is not in my style." I shot back, making Anne blush and look down.

"Sorry Anne, we were bantering before you came. Forget it, we will keep it clean from now on."

"No problem, Jack. I heard worse than that in that drug joint."

"Hey, Newbie, opening tonight are you?"

A man in his 70's called from the other side of the pedestrian.

"Damn straight we are, Brit."

"About bloody time, I say. No decent drinks around here when you weren't open. I will drop by."

He waved and wandered off.

"Who was that?" Anne wondered.

"That was Brit, the oldest of our regulars. He's English as you might have heard and I have some special drinks put away for him. Small brands not ordinarily imported here."

"How many regulars are there?"

"Depends on how you count. About 20 coming in every day, maybe 50 dropping in once or twice every week. They are the core, if they accept you you will have no trouble, but if they reject you . . .

well, let's hope they don't."

"What do you mean? Will they throw us out?" there was a mixture of worry and humour in Angela's voice.

"You will have to see. It is kind of an initiation so telling you will spoil it. Just be yourselves and you will be fine. They see through fake every time and that is the worst sin here."