The Funeral

Story Info
A first try at a 750 word story; it's going to feel short.
747 words
4.41
88.2k
58
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
satindesires
satindesires
1,336 Followers

Not a great way to start a story but here I am Jack Harrison, pall-bearer at the burial of my ex father in law Peter Mason. I stand outside at the wake finding a bit of peace and quiet; gut wrenchingly sad but beginning to recall happier times and memories of a fine man.

"Hello Jack."

I sighed, inevitable I guess, a conversation with my ex-wife Elizabeth. Something which I have avoided since our divorce 5 years previously.

"Lizzy", I replied, surprised she didn't flinch at the use of her shortened name. She still looked good but I wasn't going to tell her, she knew anyway.

"Thanks for today."

"It was an honour, he was a good friend and we saw a lot of each other after... after you left for the city."

The silenced stretched on, in the end I picked at the scab I knew I should leave alone.

"How is life in the city, still got everything you wanted."

It was Lizzy's turn to sigh, "Yes I have the life I chased, money, city centre apartment, costal cottage.

"Great, I'm pleased for you."

"I doubt that Jack, I do miss our drunken nights out and parties with our friends, it a shame those things stop as your get older."

"Oh they haven't stopped, the old gang still do the parties and BBQ's, there are just a lot more kids running about these days."

"Really you stayed in touch with them, they were more my friends than yours."

"Yeah they were great after... the guys dragged me to the pub and the wives took pity on me and cooked lots. It meant a lot; they really are a great bunch of friends."

Lizzy hesitated, "Oh... I sort of lost touch with them and dad with the move."

The response was sharper than I intended "Yeah you did and he missed you."

Another silence before she continued. "I'm not sure I ever said sorry, for the way it ended or explained it."

"No need it's in the past, you had an affair and then ran off with your very wealthy lover with hardly a backward glance."

"It was more complicated than that Jack and I never meant to hurt you, it happened so fast and I got wrapped up in things. I am sorry for all of that?"

"Well you did hurt me and I struggled for a time, I'd rather not rehash all that. I doubt you're sorry, you got what you always wanted and any apology is about you again not me."

"Ok at least tell me how you are, you look tanned and healthy. Still saving for all those travel plans you had?"

"Actually I've travelled quite a bit, couldn't afford our old house, so sold it and used the equity to do that South East Asia trip we planned, slummed it in hostels mind but had 6 months out there. It was amazing! Enjoyed it so much I lived in with your dad for while saved up and did Machu Picchu and after that a tour of New Zealand."

"Oh wow, with my dad, I had no idea. And all the places we used to talk about. We tend to stay in med, luxury resorts rather than slumming it."

"You would have loved..." Jack stopped himself from finishing the sentence.

"What about the factory, you were working all the time, how did you find the time?"

"Once I realised I didn't need to chase money, pay for the house and buy stuff for you, I packed in and started doing contract work. Then made a bit extra from travel blogs and photography. We are going to use some of the money your dad left for me to tour around North America next year, he helped plan it.

"We?"

"Yeah me Abbey and the kids."

"Not Abigail my bridesmaid, she married years ago,"

"She did, seems she had the same fidelity problems with her partner as me. So I became a step dad to 2 girls and we named our boy after your dad. Best things that ever happened to me."

"Wow, it was never quite the right time for Charles for us to start a family."

"Yeah well, he was always a self-centred twat, but you couldn't see it for the money."

"I need to get moving to pick the kids up, bye Lizzy."

She watched him go, never quite sharing the news that her and Charles had spit a year earlier.

satindesires
satindesires
1,336 Followers