The Furies

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Give me a vector to the unidentified craft," Mindy growled.

"Coming up," he said, her board almost immediately lighting as she turned sharply and followed the beacon.

"This is the Goose, what ya got out there, Hammer?" she called after locating the ships and checking the IFF.

"Beats me. Looks like one of those fancy ships you girls fly, but this one is beat all to hell."

"No communication?"

"Not a thing."

"Call letters?"

"What?"

"Call letters you Neanderthal. You know, the letters they put on the fucking tail so you can identify the fucking ship."

"Geeze, don't be so bitchy. BT-1458B."

Goose ran it through her computer and then ran it again. She couldn't believe it. Couldn't make herself believe it, but when she got there and saw for herself she had to believe it.

Rebel watched as the Corsair came in close and started a blinkered message.

'Rebel. If that's you, accelerate slowly and wag your wings'

She quickly did so. Then eased the throttle back until she was at station keeping again. The warm air felt deliciously good and she felt her feet thawing.

'Can you jettison torpedo? If so wag wings again'

When she didn't the blinking started again.

'Follow me'

The ship moved in front of her and began accelerating. Rebel fell in, watching the red light on her board that showed her torpedo was still armed.

"Goose to Flight Ops."

"Go ahead, Goose."

"I've got an injured bird with a hot package. Clear the flight deck. Get the damage control parties and an ambulance. I want a path cleared so get every ship out of the damned way. We are coming in hot on the starboard landing bay."

"Roger"

Rebel was sweating and shaky. Over twenty-four hours in the cockpit had her limbs numb and the cold had her teetering on the edge of unconsciousness. The ship was just a blur through her shattered canopy and she was now fighting the ship, which seemed determined to yaw to starboard.

The Corsair in front of her was her only real guide, its running lights a blazing beacon. She locked in on that, shut out all else, the pain, the cold, the fatigue and her quickly ebbing strength.

When it broke off, she willed herself to lean forward and peer out. The landing bay was coming up fast, far too fast. She kicked down on the rudder pedals and jerked the throttle into full reverse. Even that wasn't enough and she braced as the ship hit hard on the deck.

The impact jarred the active torpedo loose and it skittered out ahead of her, skipping across the deck in a halo of sparks. Luckily, her approach had been head on and the unguided missile skipped down the length of the bay and out the launch door. Rebel fired the emergency deceleration assists, but they didn't respond. She was bouncing towards the launch door herself and realized if she went out, she wouldn't be able to make another pass, her consciousness was ebbing too fast.

The young pilot played her last card. She whipped the stick over and fired the thrusters. This threw the ship into a diagonal skid that brought it up hard against the bulkhead. It broke apart on impact and darkness claimed her.

***

"Wake up!"

Erica groaned and rolled over to escape the unbearably loud voice. Her head was throbbing and her stomach protested violently. The tall Air Boss threw up right there in her bed, heaving until her stomach was empty.

Strong arms grabbed her and hauled her out of the soiled bed clothes, propelling her naked body into the bathroom and the icy cold shower that was already running.

The shock of it nearly stopped her heart and she struggled feebly against the arms that held her pinned to the side of the shower. She threw up twice more, retching up stomach bile before she was hauled out of the shower.

She felt a mask placed over her face and her next breath cleared her head somewhat. A sharp prick in her arm was followed by a pill being jammed down her throat. Her tormentor left her sitting on the commode. The pure oxygen helped and the IV of saline finally got her rehydrated. The pill coated her abused stomach and brought relief to the queasiness.

To her shock, Goose walked in with a steaming mug of coffee.

"How do you feel?"

"Like shit."

"Drink some coffee. It's laced with phenobarb, it should bring you around."

Erica sipped the coffee and watched through the doorway as the thin blonde gathered up her bed clothes and dumped them in the chute that lead to Bio. She scowled, then turned the mattress and made the bed.

Erica felt good enough to remove the mask and needle. She staggered into the bedroom and had to sit on the floor suddenly dizzy.

"Easy, boss," Mindy cried and jumped to assist her to the bed.

"What are you doing here, Goose?"

"Spelling Tucker," she replied.

"Just what I need, a spare Jiminy Cricket"

"Got no one to blame but yourself. If you hadn't been so good to me and Leia, I wouldn't give a shit."

"Go home, I'll be all right," Erica said with a tired smile.

"Will you? I don't think so."

"What do you mean?" Erica asked.

Rather than reply, the Goose moved in front of her and then placed her hands on Erica's knees. She looked deeply into her eyes and then, without warning, leaned forward and kissed her.

Erica's eyes shot open, but she melted into the kiss and passively let the thin girl's soft tongue explore her mouth. When it broke Mindy stood back up and went to the small kitchenette, returning in few minutes with a bowl of hot soup.

In the interim Erica had gathered her thoughts.

"What was that all about?"

"You've got a hot body, Boss," the Goose said, ignoring her question as she moved to Erica's dresser.

Erica felt the blush creep into her cheeks. She suddenly was very aware she was naked and wished she had something on.

The Goose laughed and pulled a pair of boxers and T-shirt from her dresser, tossing them to the now red from head to toe Air Boss.

"Pretty drab wardrobe for a femme," Mindy commented as she pulled up a chair and sat down.

"Femme?" Erica questioned as she pulled on her boxers and the shirt.

"Yeah, femme, as opposed to butch."

"I'm not following, Goose," Erica said.

"Damn, you are green aren't you?"

When Erica just looked at her the Goose kicked her feet up on the bed and stared at her.

"A femme is a girly lesbian, Erica. As opposed to a butch, who is more manly."

"I'm not…"

"Stow it!" the Goose ordered. She wasn't shocked when the Boss clamped her mouth shut.

"I didn't believe it either, not until I kissed you. I don't know how you kept it hidden so long or so well, have to give you props on that one."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about the fact you're into girls."

"I've never!"

"No, you probably haven't and that explains why you are out making a damned fool of yourself."

"I have reasons." Erica said, feeling her anger rise.

"Yeah, like losing Rebel and knowing we are gonna bomb the hell out of that planet," Goose said coldly.

"I…" Erica started, but the Goose was on her, riding her down to the bed and staring into her eyes.

"It's Quantro, all over again. First you lose your love and then you eradicate billions," the Goose said coldly.

"Please…"

"You're feeling sorry for yourself. While your people need you, you're hiding in a bottle," she went on, twisting the knife.

"No, No ,No!" Erica cried, trying desperately to get away, but the Goose was stronger than she looked.

"William is dead. Quantro is gone. And you couldn't stop it."

"No…please…" she whispered.

She felt the pain welling up like a volcano and bursting forth in hot tears that burned her eyes.

"Let…it…go," Mindy said, in a softer voice, but no less demanding.

Erica lost it then, sobbing like a baby in the thin girl's arms. It all came out, all of the things she had suppressed for so long. Blinding, shuddering sobs wracked her tall frame as she let herself do what she hadn't so long ago. She grieved. Through it all Mindy held her, saying nothing, but allowing her to let it go by protecting her. She had no idea how long she cried, but at last no more tears would come.

"Better?" the Goose asked in a hushed voice.

"Yes."

Mindy got up, and took Erica's soup back to the kitchen to reheat it while the tall woman collected herself. When she got back, Erica gratefully accepted it and ate, finding herself suddenly ravenous.

When she finished, she sat back and pulled up a pillow to hug. Mindy smiled at her and Erica smiled too.

"How'd you find out?"

"Can't say."

"Tucker, of course. He's the only one who knows."

"He loves you."

"I know."

"Do you love him back?"

Erica laughed.

"You're good, Goose, but you don't know everything. Tuck's been like a father to me. He was married once, had a daughter. She would be about my age, but she was killed in action over Dorchetshire. Tuck was devastated of course, and a week later, a tall blonde, with a bad attitude who looked very much like his beloved Tess was shipped to him for training. He loves me and I love him, but there has never been anything sexual about it. I'm the daughter he lost. He's the father I never had."

She smiled as comprehension dawned on the thin girl.

"And when I get my hands on him, his name is mud." she added, but without any rancor.

"Don't go to hard on him, I twisted his arm," the Goose said with a grin.

They both laughed as Erica finished her soup and put the bowl on the floor.

"Thanks, I needed that. Have been needing it for a long time." Erica said seriously.

"You've been needing it all right, but I can't give it to you. I already have a girl," the Goose said, smiling again when Erica blushed.

"I don't think I'll be getting that," Erica mused.

"Why not? You're a lovely woman. A trip into town, some creds dropped to get some sexy clothes, maybe a stop at the salon. You'll have girls falling over themselves to bed you, guys too."

"I have to feel something to want to and I don't even know where to start."

"You start by putting your regrets to sleep, Boss. You've already taken that step. Next you find the woman you want and you go after her."

"I wish it were that easy."

"It is that easy," Goose said as she rose and headed for the door.

She stopped and looked back to see Erica still sitting on the bed, with her head down.

"Oh, by the way."

"Yes?" she replied, looking up.

"Rebel just got back. She's in the infirmary, but should be ready to resume her duties in a day or two," Mindy added. She laughed all the way back to her place at the mixture of shock and joy she had seen on her now not so hard-assed boss.

***

Rebel opened her eyes to find three expectant faces staring at her. Cloudy, Lou, and Holly had never looked so good.

"She's awake," Cloudy said, smiling radiantly.

"About time, I'm getting tired of taking up her slack," Lou said.

"I don't know, she's kinda cute when she's asleep." Holly added.

"Fuck the lot of you," Rebel managed.

"Me first!" Holly cried and they all began to laugh.

Rebel was sad to hear that the new girl hadn't made it, but she was delighted to know the rest had. They talked about the mission, how Cloudy had earned enough kills to become an ace and about how Lou had managed to get her beat up ship back.

Rebel tired quickly and soon a large and grave nurse dispersed her visitors with the admonishment that her patient was too tired to get excited like this.

When she came to again, the only one in the room with her was the Boss.

"Glad you made it home in one piece," she said, by way of greeting.

"Thanks," Rebel said, not knowing what else to say.

When the silence became awkward the Boss suddenly said, "Well, get better," and hurriedly left.

Rebel wondered what in the hell that had been about.

***

Erica was drinking again, heavily. She didn't even look up when Goose, Surfer and Lucky strolled in and joined her at the table. Bel came over, assessed the situation and, like most sane people would, dropped off their drinks and made himself scarce.

"Gonna tell us about it, Boss, or do we have to beat it out of you?' Lucky cracked.

She looked up then, but smiled. It was a sad smile, but Goose was glad to see it wasn't a self pitying one.

"Texas Thunder just returned from the raid on the planet," she said quietly.

The others looked down at their drinks and for a while it was a very somber table.

"Look Boss, I know it isn't pretty, but it's war. They'd do the same or worse to our people if we let them," Surfer said.

"I know. I accept it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it," Erica said.

"We lose anyone?" Goose asked.

"No, the Hawthorn and Graves did an outstanding job with the prepatory bombardment. Not a single defense installation survived. It was a cake walk."

"So why ya here?" Lucky asked.

"It's private."

"Talked to Rebel yet?" Surfer asked.

Erica's head came up sharply, but all three were smiling.

"Damnit, Goose," she said half-heartedly.

"Don't blame me, I already tried and you wouldn't listen, so I enlisted more troops," the blonde said with an infectious grin.

"I did listen. I went to see her in the infirmary. I just don't know what to say. Hell, I'm hopeless," she said, killing her drink.

"You went dressed like that?" Lucky asked.

"How else should I dress?"

"Damn, you are in need of help. Getting laid isn't war, boss, you can't order her to fuck you, you've gotta convince her to," Surfer said.

"It's hopeless. I'm over it. Come on, lighten up and drink, I need some cheering up and discussing my lack of a love life isn't helping."

"I don't know Surfer, what do you think? China's?" Lucky said, studying Erica intently.

"I'd think she's more of a Pampered kind of girl," Surfer replied as Erica looked at them in confusion.

"Maybe, you really think she's that femme?" Lucky said, looking doubtfully at her.

"A what?"

"Goose?" Lucky asked, ignoring the Air Boss.

"Doesn't really matter does it? It's more what kinda girl is Rebel after, isn't it?"

"Ya know, you're right," Lucky said.

She and Surfer looked at one another and both blurted out "Pampered" at the same time.

"What are you talking about?" Erica asked.

"She'll need the works," Goose said.

"What the fuck is going on? Am I invisible or something?!"

"I know fuck all about salons," Lucky said.

"Yeah, not my thing either," Surfer said.

"No problem, I'll get Leia on the phone," Goose said, standing up and walking over to the bar.

Erica gave up and poured herself another drink. She was about halfway into it when she noticed Lucky and Surfer were both staring at her.

"What?" she exploded.

"Up," Lucky said.

"Down," Surfer asserted.

The two looked at each other, then as if by magic each pounded her fist into an open palm in unison. On the third time Surfer held her hand flat while Lucky held out two fingers.

"Up."

"Bel!" Erica shouted.

The crippled man made his way to the table.

"What?" he asked.

"Just sit down and talk to me, my officers seem to have lost their collective minds."

He laughed and pulled up a chair, pouring himself a drink. Lucky and Surfer both looked under the table.

"Heels?" Surfer said.

"Flats," Lucky replied.

They again did the little ritual and this time Surfer won.

"Heels," she said.

"What are they doing?" Bel asked.

"Fuck if I know, I told you they'd lost their damned minds," Erica said sourly.

The Goose came back to the table and the three of them huddled briefly, when it broke they all moved to the side of the table Erica was sitting on and grabbed her.

"What the fuck!" she shouted, but they paid no mind, hustling her out of the bar and into the jeep while Bel laughed and waved good-bye.

Surfer and Lucky sat in back with her and held on to her as Goose negotiated the narrow roadways of York. When she reached her destination they all got out and Surfer and Lucky pulled the hesitant Boss along with them, into the building and up the elevator. When Erica saw the shop they were leading her to she dug her heels in, but they easily overpowered her, dragging her in amidst her cursing.

***

Rebel walked out of the infirmary and right into Cloudy's arms. After a hug from the tall girl, they started walking back towards the lifts that would take them down to the flight deck.

They stepped over a temporary covering and taped off area that passed through a shattered bulkhead.

"I saw the damage from the outside, but didn't realize it was this bad." Rebel said.

"The worst damage is above us. All of the quarters for the ship's maintenance crews are depressurized still."

"Christ," Rebel exclaimed, imagining the thousands who must have died.

"Not that bad, all of the maintenance guys are auxiliary damage controlmen. Thank god we were at batlestaions, almost no one was hurt in that hit."

"How long will repairs take?"

"Who knows," Cloudy said with a shrug.

They got onto a lift and started down before she spoke again.

"We'll be jumping tomorrow, regardless of the repair status."

"Why not wait until repairs are done?"

"We're in Trog space. We can't afford to sit still, have to keep them guessing. If we are still sitting here when reinforcements arrive, we could get trapped."

The lift stopped and they got out. Rebel noticed all the hasty repairs as they made their way towards the squad bay. Techs with welding arcs were locking down huge sections of temporary sheet metal coverings where the armored deck plates had been damaged. Others worked on electrical or hydraulic lines in the fissures created by Trog Naval guns. Some used arc-cutting torches to remove I-beams that had collapsed into the corridor.

The activity was mind boggling, and Rebel wondered just who was coordinating it all. Whoever it was deserved a medal, she thought.

Compared to what she had just seen, the squad bay was calm. It was actually fairly chaotic, with people bouncing around and chatting, but where the corridor seemed to be a hive of activity, the mood here was almost festive.

"What's up?" Rebel asked.

"Big party tonight, we've won a great victory. Everyone is planning on a trip to Bel's," Cloudy replied with a grin.

"Why is everyone still in their flight suits then?"

"We won't stand down 'til the jump. Everyone is on alert 'til then. If they jump into the system before we are ready, it will be up to the fighter wings to keep them at bay until the fleet is ready to move."

Rebel started to speak again, but the PA interrupted her.

"Now hear this, Now hear this, Jump stations. All section officers report jump status, all techs to station, that is all."

"Guess we better get to our stations," Rebel said.

Cloudy laughed and clapped her on the shoulder.

"You don't have a jump station, you're still in the care of the infirmary. Best get to the room and lie down, see you in a bit," she said before hurrying off to her ship.

Rebel sighed and made her way to her room, she climbed up in the bunk and waited for the jump to be over with. She didn't realize how tired she was and was snoring quietly long before the red lights came up.

***

"Stand down from jump operations, I repeat stand down," the PA announced.

Erica looked up from her desk and then back down, filling in the final few blanks on the requisition forms. She hadn't been here long, but it felt like hours. With the ship now in hyperspace, she could turn her pilots loose. Erica walked out of her office and called Tucker over.

"Cut loose your wolves," she said softly, turning before he could reply and retreating to her quarters. Even moving swiftly, she heard the first whoops and hollers as the girls charged the lockers to get out of their flight suits. It was going to be some party tonight at Bel's, she almost wished she were going.