All Comments on 'The Gate'

by HansTrimble

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Dogs?

What kind of dog does Carl have that won't even try to protect its home, let alone bark?

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleover 11 years agoAuthor
To Anonymous: Thank you . . .

for pointing that out. The story was originally a lot longer, and when I shortened it the chunk that was taken out created the dog discrepancy. It would have been a simple matter to take the dogs out completely, if I had noticed. It was sloppy editing on my part, and I'm glad you pointed it out so I'll watch out for that sort of thing in other stories that are being prepared for submission.

rockslyderockslydeover 11 years ago
Good story!

It was rather pleasant for me to read that the main characters weren't obsessed with huge cock, and/or tits. It's so common for many author's to write about big cocks, big tits and never ending orgasms. A dose of reality is so refreshing. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
What about the cactus?

I like the story. I gave it 5 stars. However, I was expecting for at least one intruder to hit the cactus, since you called our attention to it. I was also distracted a time or two trying to figure out his income sources since you alluded to them (and made the lack of money part of the story) but never told us.

Still, a great story. Well done.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketalmost 9 years ago

For some reason I found this to be a fascinating story and believable.

BigDee44BigDee44about 4 years ago
Kind of fun, but missed some things

I don’t think much of Carl’s carpentry skills. His gate would be really heavy and plywood in an unprotected exterior application? The old gate was attached to the house, but that does not mean it should have been! Attach it to a post in the ground! You don’t want a gate damaging a building.

Why did those guys break and enter? Surely not for plain old burglary.

I doubt Sally was on birth control, but they seem to have no concern for possible pregnancy.

It was fun as far as it went, though.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago
A few things should be fleshed out.

It's like the dogs aren't existing most of the time. There are no real interaction with them except for the mention of walking them and keeping them out of the garden when building the gate, and no description of them.

That's not how pets work. Better to delete any mention of the dogs if they aren't going to appear otherwise.

Another, even more important way this isn't fleshed out, is that there's no actual description of the characters, and unless I missed it, it wasn't even mentioned how old the guy was.

Both, something I would suggest adding.

An epilogue showing how they are managing longer term would be nice also.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userHansTrimble@HansTrimble
I'm an engineer, widowed, retired from the aircraft industry and loving every minute of my retirement! It's great being able to do what I want, when I want, the way I want. I've found it very relaxing to sit at the keyboard at night, when everything is quiet, and write wha...

SIMILAR Stories