The Gathering

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The whole family turned out to say good bye when Josh and Red left the next morning. They had a few trail supplies with them but didn't plan on staying out more than two or three days. It was just after first light when the men hugged their sleepy children and said good bye to Danni and Sarah.

**************

The morning of their second day on the hunt they were following the trail that Josh had found the previous evening just before making camp. The bear was still headed east but just before he would have passed onto the old Ambrose spread, he started to circle back to the west.

They followed the trail as it led back west for most of the day. Must be getting close, Josh thought. The horses were getting a little nervous.

"Reckon he likes our cattle the best," Red joked. He'd noticed the horse's behavior and was a little nervous himself.

They followed the trail until late afternoon and saw the tracks turn and enter a box canyon. "Recognize this canyon?" Red asked with a small grin.

Josh returned the grin. "Yep. This is the canyon where we found the cattle that Larson stole years ago. There's no way out except past us. We got him now Red."

"I don't know what you're so happy about," Red replied. "We'll have to go into that canyon on foot; it's not big enough to get the horses turned around in a hurry if need be."

Josh pulled the Sharps rifle from the saddle scabbard. It was the same rifle he'd used hunting buffalo for the wagon train years ago. The Sharps was a breech loading single shot weapon that Josh had converted to use the new metal cartridges. He'd explained to Red that they might have to take a long distance shot if they saw the bear. "Besides it's a .50 caliber; it packs a lot more punch than my .44 caliber Winchester and I can reload real quick."

They left their horses just outside the entrance to the canyon. Both of their horses were trained to ground tie so they didn't tie them to a tree. If the bear got past them the horses could run away. Josh and Red slowly followed the bear tracks into the canyon. They were about 100 feet inside the entrance when they lost the trail; the ground was hard rock and wouldn't hold a track.

Josh was leading and stopped after losing the trail. He turned back to Red who was about 20 feet behind him. As he turned he saw movement behind Red. It was the grizzly coming from behind a pile of rubble; the bear was headed straight for Red.

"Red, behind you," Josh shouted a warning as he brought the Sharps to his shoulder.

********************

Dillon Gallagher stood next to his horse on a hill overlooking the ranch house of the Triple E. He had served with distinction with the 1st Regiment Virginia Cavalry and when he arrived in Prescott he had a brooding, dark, look about him. He was 6 feet with a strong lean build. His dark hair set off his very intense blue eyes. Those eyes could welcome you as a friend or give fair warning not to cross the big man.

It's been almost a year since the carpet bagging bastard Cassidy was stopped, he remembered. It was a shame that the man had to die but he brought it on himself. The only thing I would have done different was not get shot.

Bob Cassidy had told Dillon he was going to build a cattle empire that would rival the King ranch in Texas. The problem was that he didn't care what means he used to build that ranch. The Triple E sat right in the middle of his other holdings, separating his empire, so he tried to buy it.

John Edwards along with his wife Eleanor owned the Triple E. Their daughter Elizabeth, son Ethan, and adopted son Oso lived on and worked the ranch. John refused to sell out to Cassidy and was shot and killed shortly afterwards. Eleanor and her children knew that Cassidy was responsible for John's death but they had no proof.

When John's widow still refused to sell the ranch, Cassidy began a campaign of confrontations and assaults to force Eleanor off the ranch. Every time the Edwards came into town Cassidy's men would verbally and physically abuse them. Then Dillon Gallagher became involved.

Gallagher was from Virginia and served with the Confederacy during the Civil War. He fought in spite of not believing in slavery; he fought because he did believe in the people's right to run their own state instead of the Federal Government telling them how to live.

After General Lee surrendered in April of '65, Dillon didn't return to his home in Richmond. He didn't want to be there for the punitive actions of the Union against the southern states. His hatred of the Northern Reconstruction efforts in the south, the Yankee regulators, and the carpet baggers that raped the southern states was deeply ingrained.

Dillon had looked for a job as a ranch hand. He accepted a job with Cassidy but once he learned the man had been one of those Union regulators he refused to work for him. After he stopped two of Cassidy's men from roughing up 12 year old Ethan Edwards, Dillon told Cassidy in no uncertain terms what he thought of him. He also made it plain that he was going to work for the Triple E.

While working for the Edwards he had several run ins with Cassidy's men. He saved Elizabeth from a severe beating almost killing a man with his bare hands. Dillon and Elizabeth slowly fell in love and got married. Shortly after the wedding Cassidy killed some of the stock at the Triple E and challenged Dillon to meet him in town.

But Dillon was confronted by Cassidy's hired gun Bill Wilson outside of town limits. Wilson was killed and Dillon was wounded but he continued to his meeting with the self styled empire builder. Just before he began his ride into Prescott, Dillon had told his family that it was time to put an end to Cassidy.

He confronted Cassidy and his two men even though he was light headed and swaying from the gunshot wound in his side. As one of Cassidy's men drew his gun, a rifle shot by Oso put him down. Before the other man could clear the holster with his pistol another rifle shot from Elizabeth stopped him. This left Cassidy on his own to face Dillon.

Dillon called Cassidy out telling him to fight or die where he stood. Cassidy pulled his gun and Dillon shot him twice. He was dead before he hit the ground. Dillon swayed for a minute and big Oso picked him up and carried him to the doctor's office. It took three weeks for Dillon to completely recover from his wound, but he did recover.

******************

Dillon had been in town getting a few supplies, mail, and to post a letter to his mother. As he came out of the general store a younger man approached him and asked, "Would you be Mr. Gallagher?" At Dillon's nod he said, "I'd like to have a word with you please."

"And who might you be?" Dillon asked.

The young man hesitated and then replied, "My name is R. Thomas Cassidy Jr., Mr. Gallagher. I'm Bob Cassidy's son."

Dillon stood straighter, looked around to see if the boy was alone, and swept his duster to the rear uncovering the pistol worn low on his hip. "What do you want?" His manner and tone was less than friendly.

"I understand your distaste for my family name and I can't blame you. But I do have a business proposition for you. If you would join me for a drink at the hotel, I'll explain."

By this time Dillon saw that the younger Cassidy was alone and wasn't even armed. "All right Mr. Cassidy, I'll listen to what you have to say."

The two men went to the hotel bar and sat at a table. Cassidy asked the bartender for a brandy. Dillon had to smile a little; most men in Prescott drank whiskey or rye. The boy's a bit of a dude Dillon said to himself.

"Water's fine Sam," Dillon said to the bartender. Turning his attention back to Cassidy he said, "I won't drink with a man until I know he's not an enemy." As the young man started to protest Dillon added, "Not quite sure about you yet Mr. Cassidy."

"I understand your hesitation Mr. Gallagher. My father was not a good man; as you and the Edwards found out. I didn't approve of his methods in building his ranch but I do approve of the idea of owning the biggest ranch in the territory."

In spite of the choice of words and the way he spoke, Dillon saw intensity in Cassidy. Wouldn't hurt to see what his game is, Dillon thought.

"Go ahead Mr. Cassidy; I'll listen to what you have to say."

"I go by Thomas or Tom. My first name is Robert but I don't think the name Bob Cassidy will be looked on very favorably around Prescott. As I said I didn't approve or like my father's actions. That's one of the reasons I stayed in Chicago with my mother. Now that my father is gone, I'm going to take over the Circle C."

"No offense Thomas, but do you know anything about ranching?" Dillon asked trying to hide a smile.

"I know how to run a business Mr. Gallagher. I've hired a good foreman to run the ranch. He'll take care of the cattle and I'll tend to the business side." Young Cassidy paused looking at Dillon for a few seconds. "The reason I've explained is that I want you and the Edwards to understand that I don't do business like my father."

"Why would we care about how you do business? If you leave us alone we'll get along just fine," Dillon told him.

"I would like to buy the Triple E and hoped you would set up a meeting between Mrs. Edwards and me," Cassidy replied. Dillon hesitated and Cassidy added, "I'll be in town for another two weeks or so before I move out to the Circle C Mr. Gallagher. At least think about meeting with me."

Dillon stared at the young Cassidy for more than a minute. Cassidy returned the stare, waiting for Dillon's response. You have to admire this youngster's courage and determination, Dillon thought.

"Okay Thomas, I'll pass the message along to Mrs. Edwards. That's all I'll do; it's her decision if she wants to meet with you."

*******************

Dillon had ridden most of the eleven miles back to the Triple E before stopping on top a low rise . He got off his horse and thought about the meeting with Thomas Cassidy and how to tell Eleanor of the meeting. After a few minutes, Dillon mounted Buck and pulled the pack horse up close to ride the last mile to the ranch house, he smiled thinking of the surprise he had for his family.

Eleanor had said that she'd sell the Triple E if she could get a reasonable price for the ranch. She didn't really care for the place; she had wanted to return to teaching school. But her husband had been a rancher so she had been a rancher's wife.

She had refused to sell to the elder Cassidy. First because she knew he was responsible for her husband's death and secondly she wouldn't let Cassidy basically steal her husband's legacy. Now Eleanor wanted to sell the place and get on with her life. The ranch had some good memories but with John's death and the troubles afterwards it had more bad ones.

Dillon rode up to the hitching rail in front of the ranch house. Before he could dismount, a welcoming committee came out to greet him. His wife, Elizabeth, was the first to reach him. Elizabeth Edwards, now Elizabeth Gallagher, at 5' 9 had the height to not be dwarfed by her husband. Her auburn hair and green eyes told of her Irish ancestry. She was followed closely by Ethan, her younger brother. Right behind Ethan was Oso the huge Mexican that had been adopted years before by the Edwards. And last Eleanor Edwards came out on the porch.

Eleanor took charge after Ethan and Oso had a chance to say hello to Dillon. "Oso would you and Ethan unload the pack horse please?" Walking to the edge of the porch she asked, "What's the latest news from Prescott, Dillon?"

With an arm around Elizabeth, Dillon stepped up on the porch. He leaned over and kissed Eleanor on the cheek. "Well...I met an interesting young man today."

"And who was that?"

"Let's get supper and then I can tell everyone all at once after we eat," Dillon answered grinning.

"That's not fair Dillon, making us wait until after supper," Eleanor said grinning back at her son in law.

"Maybe not, but that's the way it's gonna be Mrs. Edwards." Still grinning he turned to Elizabeth and added, "And don't you try to get it out of me either Mrs. Gallagher."

As Eleanor and Elizabeth began supper, Oso and Ethan carried in the pannier bags, stuffed with supplies, from the pack saddle. Oso was 6' 6 and carried the load in one hand like a suitcase. Ethan was using one leg to help push the heavy bag along. Every time Oso tried to reach over and help, Ethan would shake his head and say, "My job."

After helping to unpack the panniers and put away the supplies Dillon had brought, Ethan went to the desk in the big living room to work on his school lessons. His mother Eleanor had been a school teacher and taught him to read and write and do his sums. But he made it plain that was all the schooling he wanted or needed and Eleanor didn't push him.

Then Dillon came into his life. Ethan developed an instant bond with the man from Virginia the first time they met. Two of Cassidy's men were hitting the boy when Dillon stopped them. Later when Dillon came to the Triple E to work and live, Ethan confessed to Oso that Dillon reminded him of his father.

"Senor Edwards never quoted poetry," Oso said, teasing the boy a little.

"I don't mean the poetry. Dillon is tall like Pa was. He can be very serious and then turn around play a prank on you to make you laugh. He's got the same easy way with folks; he makes you glad to be with him. Just like Pa."

When Dillon stopped Cassidy and saved the ranch, Ethan's bond quickly turned into hero worship. After Dillon married his sister, Ethan decided that if being educated was good enough for his brother in law it was good enough for him too. Eleanor was glad to see than her youngest wanted to learn so she set up lessons for him in several subjects.

When he was in Prescott, Dillon would often visit the town library and read while he waited on Elizabeth or Eleanor to finish their personal shopping. Ethan began to go with him to the library. He began to listen intensely when Dillon read aloud or quoted poetry.

Some evenings Ethan and Dillon would sit on the floor, leaning back against the sofa, reading by the light from a kerosene lamp and discussing history or some other subject. But this evening there was family business to discuss.

"Okay Dillon, suppers over. Now tell us about this interesting man you met?" Eleanor's curiosity was getting the best of her.

"I met Bob Cassidy's son today," Dillon answered. "He wants to meet with you." He saw Eleanor tense up and before she could speak he continued, "Don't get all riled up Eleanor. Let me tell you what happened."

Dillon explained that Thomas Cassidy had approached him and asked for his help in meeting Eleanor. Seeing that the family was interested, Dillon recounted his conversation with Cassidy almost word for word.

"Do you believe him, Dillon? Do you trust him?"

"I believe he wants to build the biggest ranch in the area. Haven't dealt with him enough to trust him yet," Dillon answered. "But I do believe that the boy is not like his father. I got a feeling that he's just what he says he is."

"So you think I ought to sell the ranch to him?"

"Eleanor, that's your decision. I think that if you really want to sell the place, it'd be reasonable to meet with him. Hear what Thomas has offer; then make up your mind," Dillon replied. Looking at his wife and Eleanor with a grin he added, "Besides, it'd be a good excuse for a day in town for you ladies."

"I'll expect you to go with me," Eleanor said. "In fact I want the whole family there."

"Wouldn't think of letting you go alone ma'am. We can go to Prescott for supplies on Saturday and meet with Cassidy that day. If you like we can stay over and go to church on Sunday," Dillon suggested.

Early Saturday morning, just after dawn, the crew of the Triple E rode into town. Oso had two pack animals on a lead rope and Ethan led another one. They kept the horses at an easy lope and got to Prescott in a little over two hours, stopping at the general store.

Dillon escorted the ladies into the mercantile and then walked down the street to the hotel. He asked the desk clerk to tell Cassidy that he would be in the hotel bar. Dillon entered the room and found a spot at the bar where he had a wall at his back; it was an old habit of his. A few minutes later Cassidy joined him.

"Last time we talked you offered to buy me a drink Thomas. This time let me buy you one," Dillon opened with a small smile. He motioned to the bartender, who put a brandy in front of Cassidy and a beer in front of Dillon.

"Mrs. Edwards has agreed to hear what you have to say. About 11 in the hotel's side parlor be okay?"

"That would be fine Mr. Gallagher. But I would be happy to have you all as my guests at brunch."

Dillon grinned and said, "I don't think Eleanor wants to socialize, she just wants to hear your offer for the ranch. And I warn you, put your best offer on the table. Don't try to horse trade with her. Understand?"

"By all means. I'll present a fair price from the beginning."

"See you back here about 11 Thomas. Be prepared, I don't think you've ever dealt with a woman like Eleanor," Dillon said as he turned to leave.

He returned to the mercantile and to his family. The supplies for the ranch had been bought; Oso and Ethan were loading them into the panniers. It had been decided that they wouldn't stay in town overnight but would return to the ranch after the meeting with Cassidy.

"We're to meet him about 11, Eleanor. He invited us to brunch but I told him this wasn't a social visit."

Eleanor grinned at Dillon and nodded replying, "Its 9 now, I suggest we go have a late breakfast at the diner. Maybe we will have time to visit Charley Jackson and Doc Reynolds before we go to the hotel."

Dillon, Elizabeth, and Eleanor walked into the hotel and entered the parlor about a quarter after 11; Oso and Ethan had decided to wait with the horses. Dillon thought that they'd been more interested in the candy displayed in the store than going to the hotel. Cassidy and another man were sitting at a table waiting for them. They both stood to greet the crew from the Triple E.

"Thomas, this is my wife Elizabeth," Dillon said. "And this is Mrs. Edwards, the owner of the Triple E."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Gallagher and Mrs. Edwards. Please have a seat," Cassidy replied. Eleanor and Elizabeth sat down but Dillon remained on his feet, standing behind the ladies.

"This is Mr. Dobbs, he was my father's attorney and now represents me," Thomas introduced the other man at the table.

Dillon had been standing in a relaxed way but suddenly tensed and stood straighter. Elizabeth felt the change in her husband and turned to look at him. She was surprised to see an angry look on his face and the challenging stare from his eyes.

"Were you with Bob Cassidy in Virginia, Mr. Dobbs?" Dillon's voice was hard.

"Why, yes I was Mr. Gallagher," Dobbs answered.

"I won't deal with someone that helped Bob Cassidy cheat, steal, and ruin folks in Virginia." Dillon's voice was tense with a suppressed anger. "This carpet bagger was in the middle of what Cassidy tried to do to us too," he told Eleanor. "I'll wait for you at the horses; if I stay here I might just shoot the son of a bitch."

Before he could leave, Eleanor stood. Looking at Cassidy she said, "If my son in law leaves I leave. I suggest you tell Mr. Dobbs to retire."

"But Mr. Gallagher, I had nothing to do with Robert Cassidy's actions," Dobbs protested.

Now Elizabeth was standing too. "You knew his methods were unethical if not totally illegal; you were his legal lap dog doing what he needed for your thirty pieces of silver." She paused trying to control her anger remembering her father and the other assaults against her family. "You're as guilty as he was."