The Gems Ch. 03

Story Info
Forest fights makes perilous plights.
6k words
4.36
1.7k
1

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 08/27/2023
Created 07/21/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Time: Year 1739 Middle of Month 8

Location: Shinora in the Derigan Kingdom

The Wooden League

"Hi, my name is Emerald," Emerald greeted a Mage in the middle of Shinora. "I'm a Healer and I'm requesting if you to join my party."

"Fuck off," the Mage growled.

Emerald watched him leave, a distaste filling his mouth from the rude person. Of course, even as he was put off, there wasn't any time to dwell on that; there were other fish in the sea.

"Hello, my name is Emerald, I'm a Healer," he said, greeting a Shifter. "If you're looking for a party to join, we have plenty of spots available."

"Go find a hole to die in," the Shifter shuffled past.

Emerald watched him leave as well, judging whether that insult was worse than the previous one. Truthfully, Emerald had been recruiting for a new party member all day, standing in the blazing sun and possibly missing lunch. As if it wasn't bad enough, he had been told, in various ways, to end himself. Diamond was out and about looking for the things they needed, somewhere else in the marketplace, though he was sure she was standing in the shade.

Thinking of her, he smiled as he remembered their first time together, and last so far. He hoped she wasn't too disappointed with him, he had thoroughly enjoyed himself that night and was secretly looking for their next time together. Emerald shook his head, he shouldn't be thinking about happy times right now. He wasn't the only one trying to recruit people to his party, so he needed to get it together.

"Good morning," Emerald greeted as he saw another Mage. "My name is Emerald--"

"Don't come near me," the Mage warned.

That was the kindest reply he had gotten all day. Sighing, Emerald figured his skills weren't made for this. The other recruiters were snatching his failures like flies, handing them papers and explaining to them what their party was currently doing and where they were going. Still, Emerald couldn't give up, there had to be someone out there who wanted to join his party.

"Good morning, my name is Emerald," he said to a different Mage. "I'm a Healer and would like to invite you to join my party."

He was totally ignored.

Emerald called it a day and went to go find Diamond. Starting from the entrance, he worked his way through the marketplace, looking for his party member. Four stores in, he found her, stressing over a shiny item.

"Hey Diamond, what are you looking at?" He asked.

"I'm trying to see if I should get these gloves or not," she frowned.

"How much are they?" Emerald asked.

"Two hundred coins," Diamond and the salesman said at the same time.

"Diamond, we barely have two hundred gold," Emerald told her. "We wouldn't be able to get a room if we bought this. Did you buy anything we needed?"

"No," she hung her head. She looked around before asking, "Did you recruit anyone?"

"No," he answered. "I've been told to kill myself about fifteen times."

"Those people are rude," she crossed her arms.

"Yeah, well, it sucks to be them," Emerald said. "Let me take care of the shopping and then we'll leave."

"Hey, let me see if I can recruit someone," Diamond suggested.

"Are you sure?" Emerald asked. "They're not too friendly today."

"I'm not going to recruit everyone, just one person," she said.

"Sure," he shrugged. "If possible, can you try to get a Mage since we keep having trouble with those opponents.

"I'll try," Diamond answered.

"I'll come back when I get the stuff," he said.

She raced off towards the exit, probably glad that she didn't have to be surrounded by so many people. Emerald, on the other hand, went deeper into the marketplace, looking for and finding the food section. He started in the fruit section and got apples, bananas, oranges, and plums at great prices. The vegetables were next and he grabbed a few onions, tomatoes, celery, and broccoli before stepping into the meat district. Emerald really wasn't looking for a massive portion of meat, since they would be hunting for some of their own food, but the pounds of beef available were literally beckoning him to come buy it.

"How much?" He inquired.

"Twenty gold," the farmer declared.

"Twenty? How's the quality?" Emerald asked.

"King Derigo's cows can't compare to this," the farmer bragged.

"That's a bold statement to make," Emerald said.

"You can judge me if you think I'm lying," the farmer challenged.

"I haven't tasted the king's cows," Emerald replied.

"Then you'll just have to trust my word," the farmer said, his face looking triumphant.

Considering his options, Emerald knew if Diamond was as successful as he was, it would probably be more food than they could manage. If she did recruit someone, then it should be enough.

"I'll take it," Emerald said, dropping the coins in the farmer's hand.

"You won't be disappointed, my good friend," the farmer said happily.

With more meat to care for, Emerald went and bought a new bag, one that could carry everything they'd need and decided he was done shopping. He left the marketplace and went back to where he was recruiting earlier. He looked around for a bit before he found his party member... talking to someone else.

"Oh, Emerald come quick!" Diamond called.

"What's wrong?" He asked when he reached them.

"I have recruited a new party member," Diamond declared proudly. "Go ahead, introduce yourself."

"Good afternoon, my name is Sapphire," the woman said. "I'm a Water Mage."

"Really?! That's great," Emerald replied. "Have you just started or have you been out for a while?"

"I've been out for a while," Sapphire answered. "However, I'm not that experienced or anything."

"No worries, we just started last month," Diamond replied. To Emerald, she said, "I've been telling her that since you're a Healer, she'll get to fight plenty of enemies and get a lot of experience in no time."

"She's right," Emerald said. "I'm a supporter, though I hope you don't mind that. We've been having a lot of problems with Bandit Mages, so I'm really glad you decided to join us."

They talked a bit about where they've been before going to the Post Office and getting some more quests. Emerald was hoping to get another good quest like the one from Oponopo. Unfortunately, he couldn't find anything for Healers, so he went to look for his party members. Diamond was still looking for a good quest and not a low level Bandit fighting one. Looking for Sapphire, he saw her running back towards them with a paper in her hand.

"Check this out!" She panted, thrusting the paper in his hands.

The paper read of a Merchant who had to deliver some supplies to another city. The problem was that the Merchant had to go through a dark forest, a clear nesting ground for Bandits. Emerald and Diamond looked at each other and smiled knowingly, this one was a keeper.

"Okay, we'll take this quest," Emerald declared.

They went and got the quest approved and left to get started. Emerald led the way, excited for their second quest. The Merchant was located further down the city, so it was a bit of a trek for them that took a good portion of the day to get to his location and find him where he was reported to be. He wasn't in the area that was set on the quest so they had to search for him and found him at the stables, feeding his horse.

"Good afternoon, my name is Emerald and I'm a Healer," Emerald introduced himself to the Merchant. "This is Diamond, our Swordsman, and Sapphire, our Water Mage. We're grateful that you made this request and we promise to protect you and your belongings to the best of our ability."

"Oh, thank the Benevolent One," the Merchant sighed. "I was beginning to think no one had time for my little quest."

"We'll gladly take the time to help you on your quest," Diamond said.

The group decided to start the quest tomorrow, even though they were already lost on time. Diamond had suggested the idea since they didn't want the possibility of Bandits attacking them on their first day in the forest. They slept and got up early the next morning, getting a start with breakfast still in their mouths. The Merchant led the group with the horse toting the wagon of goods as Diamond and Sapphire walked on the sides. Emerald brought up the rear, dutifully watching their backs even though he was the least capable to protect them.

They entered the forest, keeping their eyes peeled for movement amongst the trees. The group kept quiet as well, not wanting to announce their presence if they hadn't been spotted already. But perhaps the most important part, and possibly agonizing as well, was that they were moving just fast enough that everyone could keep pace.

They were going slow.

Still, the day merged into the afternoon and shifted towards the evening time when the group finally decided to call it a day and set up camp. Emerald really wasn't too keen on making a meal, knowing the attraction it would bring, so everyone got some fruit to stave off their hunger for the night.

"It's a good sign that the Benevolent One shines her light down on us even at night," the Merchant sighed.

"Don't get too comfortable," Diamond warned. "The light shines for the Bandits as well."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," the Merchant gulped. "I'm just glad I won't have to race through the forest in one day."

"So, you've done this before by yourself?" Emerald asked.

"Yeah, and I can tell you, it was a horrible ordeal," the Merchant shook. "You don't know what's out there, you don't know who, or what, is watching you, planning your demise when they see you again. And if you run into Bandits, you'll have to pray to the Benevolent One that your horse can leave them well behind before they decide to wound it."

The group fell silent as they looked to the horse uncertainly. The only sounds they heard was the forest life loudly calling to itself.

"Um, if, I mean when, we come under attack, is there a body of water nearby?" Sapphire asked.

"There is, this path follows a river that's not too far away," the Merchant pointed.

"That's perfect," Sapphire said. "I'm going to have to restock my reserves to make sure I don't run out of water."

"Wait, are you... carrying water?" Diamond asked.

"Yeah, but it's frozen," Sapphire answered. "My bag is able to keep it cool for long periods of time."

They talked for a little until they fell asleep one by one. They had slept peacefully, though for Diamond and Emerald they woke up a few times throughout the night at irregular times. Luckily, nothing happened to them and everyone woke up from a good night's sleep. Even though he didn't want to cook last night, Emerald cooked some of the fresh meat in their inventory. The Bandits might catch the smell, but only the Shifters should be able to track the source, he reasoned to himself. Everyone got a few pieces and some bread before they packed up their small camp and continued their journey through the forest.

It was when the sun was high in the sky that they encountered their first opponents. The Merchant had stopped walking as uneasiness and fear began to creep inside him. Sapphire and Diamond stood in front of him protectively and Emerald stood behind them as well, ready to support his teammates. Ahead of them, two Bandit Shifters were getting ready to charge while a Bandit Earth Mage was concentrating his mana to do a powerful move.

"I'll take care of the Earth Mage," Sapphire said, making a defensive wall of water in preparation of the incoming attack.

"Then I'll handle the Shifters," Diamond nodded.

"Here, take this," Emerald said as he passed Diamond the shield from their inventory.

"When did we get this?" She asked.

"When we completed the quest in Oponopo," he replied.

"Nice, just in time too," Diamond nodded.

"They're coming!" Sapphire declared.

The Bandits came hard and fast. The Bandit Earth Mage had made a wall that he rode on, before blasting himself, and the rubble, towards the group. The Bandit Shifters followed alongside him, claws out and fangs bared. The Bandit Earth Mage launched the rubble ahead of him at the water wall, which reduced the impact of the attack, but the group still suffered damage.

The Bandits crashed through Sapphire's wall of water with ease but well within range of Diamond's sword. The Bandit Mage hung back for defense but the Shifters jumped in close, swiping at the girls with their dangerous paws. Sapphire immediately drew back behind Diamond, who deflected the blows with her new shield.

"You might want to back up," Emerald warned the Merchant. "They're going to need some space."

Diamond slashed at the Shifters with her sword, but they dodged, leaving her wide open for an attack from the Earth Mage behind them. A large chunk of earth was sent flying at her, but Sapphire made a quick ice wall that blocked the incoming projectile, destroying both objects upon impact. Diamond raced from her spot to the Shifters, who tried to flank them from the side. Sapphire was then able to focus on the Earth Mage, keeping him busy so that he couldn't assist the Shifters from a different angle.

The Shifters were having trouble dealing with Diamond. As they tried to flank her, Diamond would spin on her heels and have her shield up to stop any attacks coming or swing her sword to make them skid to a stop. Still, they tried to pressure her and it quickly turned sour for them: as one of them charged at her, Diamond hit him with her shield, stunning the Shifter and stuffing her sword in his chest. The other Bandit Shifter was now hesitant about attacking, especially without a partner, and chose to fight by the Bandit Mage.

The Bandit Mage was having problems of his own. He had set up walls around himself for protection, but Sapphire was still finding cracks in his defense. She doused him repeatedly, showing him how dangerous water could be. When the Bandit Shifter arrived by his side, with Diamond following, the Earth Mage launched his partner at Sapphire to confuse her.

The Bandit Shifter twisted himself to attack, but he hit an ice wall almost immediately. That didn't stop him as he punched through the wall and swiped at Sapphire's face. Sapphire responded by letting the ice melt into water, and the Shifter fell through the water and landed on his feet. As he snarled and jumped at her, she refroze the water and let the ice fall on her assailant, crushing him with no problem.

A few feet away, Diamond was chasing the Earth Mage down, dodging erected pillars and deflecting incoming earth chunks sent her way. She could tell he wasn't looking for more help, but he was using too much mana and stamina trying to slow her down. As a result, he ran out of both and could only watch helplessly as Diamond cut him down.

"That was quick," Emerald commented as he healed the females of any injuries they might have accrued.

"I know, it feels wonderful having an extra person in the party," Diamond agreed. To Sapphire, she said, "You did great."

"Thanks!" Sapphire replied. "I was hoping I'd make a good first impression."

"It was well done," Diamond said.

"I agree too, if my word holds any weight," the Merchant smiled.

The group moved along the pathway, walking in their original formation and watching the trees again. It wasn't long before they confronted another group of Bandits. This time, they jumped from the trees and surrounded the group with menacing stares. There were two Swordsmen, a Shifter, and two Mages, one of the Earth and one of Water.

"Shit!" the Merchant cursed.

"Ride!" Diamond yelled.

The Merchant hopped on his horse and took off. Emerald and the girls jumped on the wagon and took off down the path but a whistle caught their ears as an arrow hit the horse.

"Ranger!" Diamond and the Merchant yelled together

The horse cried out in pain and went off the path, running past trees that the wagon banged against. Minutes later, the horse was hit by a second arrow and crumbled to the ground as the wagon tilted over, throwing everyone out by the flowing river.

"Those Bandits are most definitely on their way," Emerald said as he helped everyone stand. "Sapphire, find the the Bandit Ranger and bring him down. Diamond, the Merchant and I need your protection while I heal the horse."

The girls nodded upon receiving their orders and began to carry them out. No sooner had they started though, that another arrow flew through the air and they all ducked; it landed near Emerald. Diamond stood over Emerald as he pulled the arrows out of the horse, healing its wounds to silence its cries of pain. More arrows were fired at him and Diamond used her shield to stop their deadly advance.

Instead of specifically locating him, Sapphire concentrated her mana and did a powerful move: she used the river to create a wave that rose high enough to reach the branches and knock down the Bandit Ranger, wherever he was. The Bandit Ranger scrambled for cover but Sapphire hit him with some ice shards that knocked him back down. She then made a sharp pillar and drove it through the Bandit, ending his life.

With the Bandit Ranger out of the picture, Diamond and the Merchant started to get his wagon back in suitable condition with all the items he was transporting. Emerald finished healing the horse, who nudged him in thanks as they managed to get the horse connected to the wagon. However, just as they were about ride, their opponents from earlier caught up with them.

"We're fucked," the Merchant sighed dejectedly.

"If you're wondering, your words have no weight right now," Diamond told him.

She yelled and charged towards the attacking Bandits. Sapphire stayed back, launching shards of ice from the river. Emerald had the Merchant stay by Sapphire for protection before racing up into the fray to keep Diamond in peak condition. Unfortunately, Emerald hadn't learnt his lesson back at Oponopo and was washed down the river by the Bandit Water Mage.

The Bandit Water Mage followed him while Diamond was forced to contend with the two Bandit Swordsmen. Sapphire made a ice dome to protect herself and the Merchant as the Bandit Earth Mage and the Shifter double teamed her. Emerald could see that he was becoming a liability and was really starting to hate it.

As he continued to be washed away, Emerald grabbed ahold of a tree root arching out the ground, pulling him to the riverbank against the current. The Bandit Water Mage doused him hard with more water and he slipped, but he never let the root go. He dug his hand in the ground and crawled back to the pathway. Emerald quickly darted to the other side of the path and raced through the trees as the Bandit Water Mage shot water at him. He got hit and stumbled but the trees blocked most of the attacks coming his way.

As he ran back to the group, Diamond was finding it hard to keep an eye on both Bandit Swordsmen. They weren't like Shifters, who had to get in close to attack. They could parry and make a quick nick that did more pain than she could afford. She took a chance against one as he swung his sword, blocking his attack and disarming him.

That left her back wide open to get stabbed... pretty deep, too.

With one disarmed, Diamond winced and tried her best to ignore the wound that was slowing her down. She had trouble keeping up with the Bandit Swordsman, but she was trying to keep the other Bandit from getting his sword back. Emerald suddenly came into view as he bolted across the path and crashed into the disarmed Bandit.

"You're late!" Diamond declared.

"Forgive me," he replied. He stood behind her and yelled, "Heal!"

A minute later, he was knocked off his feet by another torrent of water. With her wounds gone, Diamond pressed her attack, prompting the Bandit Swordsman to adjust quickly. But as he landed another blow on her shield, Diamond bashed him with it, dazing him and cutting his head off. The other Bandit Swordsman stood with his sword in hand, but Diamond chucked the shield at him over the distance, knocking him down as she raced over and stabbed him in the chest.

12