The Gift

Story Info
A widower receives a surprising gift from his deceased wife.
4.1k words
4.68
4.4k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

################### Part 1 ###################

I was in my study responding to some correspondence when I heard the soft single 'bong' of the front door chime. I heard the tap of my valet's shoes on the tile of the grand entryway, the door open, and muted voices.

There was a polite knock on my study door, and it cracked open.

"Sir?"

Without looking up from my letter I said "Yes Edward? What is it?"

"There is a young ... ahhh ... lady at the door who insists on seeing you in person."

I sighed, set down my pen and took off my glasses.

"Did she give a name?"

"Only Melissa sir. She said she has something that she can only give to you in person."

I stood up, walking around my desk to retrieve my blazer from the wooden valet stand. "Tell her I'll be there directly, Edward." It was most likely some petitioner from the village. They showed up to my small manor house occasionally. While the family fortune was all but gone at this point, and the original large manor home was now in the National Trust, they still saw our family, or at least me as the last remaining member, as 'Lord of the Manor'. Therefore, I was someone to approach with problems with the local council.

I brushed my lapels, straightened my tie and went to the front door.

Standing in the open door was a young lady in her mid-20s. Long legs, tiny waist, severely straight blond hair pulled into a long ponytail, a crisp white short sleeve pocketed shirt, white knee socks, black high heeled Mary Janes .... and a pleated tartan skirt so short that I could see the crotch of her white knickers. She had a ridiculously tiny pink school satchel on her shoulder.

"Yes, young lady, can I help you?"

"Lord Stuyvesant?" Her accent was a thick cockney. Not from the village then.

I smiled politely "Mr. Stuyvesant will do."

She shrugged and popped her gum. "Wha'evah." she zipped open her bag and pulled out a cream-colored envelope, extending it to me. "This toff solicitor in the city give me this address, this envelope, and tell me to give it to ya."

"Young lady, if you are serving me with some sort of legal papers, I suggest you see my solicitor in the city."

She popped her hip and gave me an annoyed look. "Look Lord or Mister or wha'evah. You gonna take this lot or not?" She shook the envelope.

I sighed and stepped forward. I looked at the envelope carefully before taking it. No official looking markings. Fine stationery, hint of watermark, and then ... an elegant handwritten 'For F'. I slowly reached out and took the envelope. I broke the wax seal, one quite known to me, and pulled out the single sheet of matching stationary. I carefully, almost tenderly, unfolded it.

'Freddy ... I can't be with you on this special day. I hope this small gift will ease your pain. - L"

My throat felt tight. Tears pricked at my eyes. I touched the surface of the letter. "Letty." I whispered.

"You alright Gov?"

I cleared my throat, "Yes, thank you. Now, is there something else you have for me?"

"Wha' ya mean?"

"The letter mentions a gift." I wagged a finger at her. "No tomfoolery young lady. If you are trying to winkle some sort of ransom before delivery ..."

She smiled at me, popped her gum, and winked. "Naah, nuffin like that Gov. Ya see, I'm the gift."

################### Part 2 ###################

I heard a small gasp from Edward, and he stepped to my side.

"Shall I call the Constable sir?"

"Wha?? Constable?? You gonna call a copper out on me for deliverin' an envelope?"

"I don't think that will be necessary Edward, thank you. If you would give me a moment with this young lady ..."

"It's Melissa, in case you was wonderin. But you can call me Melly."

"I believe Miss Melissa and I can sort this business without any ado."

Edward cleared his throat. "Are you sure that's wise sir?"

"Oh I don't think she wishes for any trouble. Do you Melissa?"

She grinned and waggled her blonde eyebrows. "Depends on what kinda trouble you're interested in Gov."

Edward gasped again.

"It will be fine Edward."

Edward turned on his heel and walked away, muttering under his breath.

I turned to Melissa. "Now, young lady ..."

She peered into the open doorway, looking around the entryway. "So, you gonna invite me in or wha?"

I sighed "I suppose. Let's sort this out in my study."

She shrugged and sashayed past me, swinging her hips. She stopped and spun slowly on the tile, looked around and up. Her eyes were wide "Cor, wha' a place!"

"Thank you Melissa. It's not much, but it's home."

She laughed. "Wha'evah you say Gov."

I gestured her towards my study and followed her, trying to ignore the sway of her hips.

We entered the study and I turned to shut the door quietly. I no longer had much staff, but I didn't need those that were there hearing anything. When I turned around, Melissa had dropped her satchel onto the small Chesterfield in front of the hearth and was beginning to unbutton her shirt.

"So, you want to do it in here then? Fine by me. Sofa looks sturdy enough."

"Melissa ..."

She gave me a slow seductive smile and started walking towards me. Her shirt was unbuttoned and I could see the white lace of her brassiere. "Come on Gov. Call me Melly."

I stepped back. "Melissa, please close your blouse immediately. That ... won't be necessary."

"Oh, it's like that then is it? Alright, if that's all you want ...". She took her gum out of her mouth and started to get down on her knees.

I stepped forward and caught her wrist gently, pulling her back up. "No, that won't be necessary either."

She stood up slowly giving me a confused look. "Alright, should I just bend over the back of the ..."

"NO!"

Her eyes went a little wide, there was a flash of fear.

"No." I said in a softer tone. "I'm sorry I raised my voice. If you would kindly arrange yourself and have a seat."

I walked around to my desk and sat down behind it. Melissa stood there looking confused and a little hurt. She buttoned her blouse, picked up her satchel and plopped onto the guest chair that I gestured to across from my desk. Her knees were together, lower legs cocked out, her shoulders slumped forward. She put her gum back in her mouth and popped it.

"Melissa, do you know why you're here?"

She snorted a laugh and rolled her eyes. "I thought I was pretty obvious about that Gov."

I leaned back in my chair and steepled my fingers.

"The letter you gave me was from my deceased wife ... Leticia."

This elicited a look of sadness from her. "Oh, sorry Gov. Condolences an all that."

"Thank you. It was 5 years ago. Today would have been our 10th wedding anniversary." I sighed and swiveled my chair around to gaze out onto the lawn through the large bay window behind me. I could see the ghosts of the white canopies that had been out there on our wedding day. "My wife was ... somewhat bohemian in her thinking and lifestyle."

I turned back around to face Melissa. She had her cell phone out and was peering at it. She felt my eyes on her and looked up. She quickly tucked the phone back into her satchel. "Bohemian, right. Sorry, go on Gov."

I sighed deeply and rubbed my eyes with a thumb and forefinger. "Melissa, by any chance, was the Solicitor who gave you that letter and sent you to me a Welsh gentleman by the name of Awbry?

She nodded. "Yeah, that's the fella."

"I thought as much. My wife insisted on having her own Solicitor, even after we wed. It seems my wife, before she passed, wished to ... ahhh ... do ... or make arrangements for ...as it were.. ahhh ... something for me on this day. She knew she was dying you see. And apparently ..."

Melissa smiled "Ohhhh I get it! She wanted to make sure you was gettin some fanny on your anniversary. Awww, that's sweet that is."

"Quite. Now Melissa, you are a very pretty young lady."

She leaned back in her chair and crossed her legs seductively "Oh, so you noticed that did ya? Thanks, although I don't know as you can rightly call me a lady."

"As I was saying. I think you have been caught up in a rather unfortunate situation and for that I apologize. Now, I'll ring for Edward and he will make whatever payments are owing and you can be on your way."

"Wha', you mean now? Wiffout doin' nothin' at all?"

"Yes, now. And no, your ... ahhh ... services are neither needed nor desired."

She grinned "You sure Gov? You was givin' my ars a right good squint when we was comin in here you were."

"Yes, quite sure." I reached for the buzzer.

"Wait, please." Her urgent tone stopped my hand.

"Yes, what is it?"

She looked thoughtful. "Listen Gov, what's your name?"

"Mr. Stuyvesant"

"Naaah, your christian name."

"Well not that it's germiane, but it's Friedrich."

She shrugged. "Sounds German to me. Anyways, Friedrich, seems to me your wife what passed wanted to do somethin nice for ya. Now, a fine gentleman of manners likes yourself should be gracious enough to accept a gift like that. We don't have to have a tumble if you don't wanna, fine by me. And by the way theres nothin owin here. That bloke Awbry paid me a right nice fee for this job and all. Anways, likes I was sayin, why not accept a little company? I'll stay 6 feet away, promise" She crossed her heart and held up her hand with crossed fingers and then smiled. "`Sides, don't looks to me like you got any 'romantic attachments', so what's the harm?"

I leaned back in my chair. "My dear young lady, what on earth would make you think I would be wanting for company? And why would you assume I lack romantic company."

"Listen Friedrich. Cor tha's a mouthful. Can I just call you Freddy?" She didn't wait for my answer "Great. So, Freddy, it pays for an independent businesswoman likes meself to be observant. First of all, you still got on your weddin ring. That's almost enough right there, it is. Second, it's a late Friday afternoon and you're in proper business clothin. And from the looks of your desk, you was workin when I showed up, you didn't cap your pen see? So doesn't look like there's any plans in the offerin' tonight. Third, that picture frame on your desk with the pretty lady's picture and the black ribbon on it, that's your dead wife right? So's looks to me like you're still in mournin. And last, and `scuse me for sayin so, but you're in bad need of a decent haircut and the cuffs of your shirt are frayed. Now if you had a lady friend, she wouldn't have none of that." She leaned back in her chair, folded her arms and gave me a self-satisfied smile.

I gave her an assessing look. "Well, you are certainly observant, I'll give you that."

"Too right Freddy. I musta read every Sherlock Holmes story at least 20 times. He's my hero he is. Just like you." She nodded to a well worn, leatherbound copy of 'The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' on the side table next to the Chesterfield with a Meerschaum pipe next to it.

What an extraordinary thing. And completely unexpected. I must admit my interest was slightly piqued. But good sense took over "Be that as it may ..."

"What, you worried people is gonna think you're a pedo, spendin the evenin with me? Freddy, I'm 26. This sexy schoolgirl drag is just me workin clothes. And you can't be a day over 50..."

I cleared my throat "Not that it's any of your business, but I'm 42."

"Ohhh, must be the haircut. So that's only .... Only ..."

"Sixteen years...."

"Right, sorry. Terrible with maths. So that's not such a big difference. Believe me Freddy, I've had jobs with blokes much ..."

I raised a hand. "STOP! I don't wish to know."

She shrugged "Fine. Point is, your wife there ..." and she pointed to Leticia's picture "... went to an awful lot of trouble to make sure you wasn't lonely on this day. Now I know I ain't her, and never could be. She looks a fine bred lady, to the manor born and all. But I ain't such a terrible sight to look at am I? Why don't we tuck into some provender and have a right good chin wag about old Sherlock? Whadaya say Freddy?"

To this day I will never know what possessed me at that moment, but I buzzed for Edward. When he came in I said "Edward, Miss Melissa will be staying for dinner. If you would please inform cook to set for two in the main dining room."

Edward's eyebrows crawled all the way up to his hairline. "Sir?"

Melissa grinned at Edward. "You heard Freddy. I'm stayin to dinner." And she popped her gum.

################### Part 3 ###################

Melissa handled the shocked stares of Daniella, my single remaining housemaid who served at table, and the judgemental glares of our cook, Mrs. Beedle, quite well. Or at least they didn't seem to bother her much. And she handled the place setting with no trouble, easily selecting the correct fork or spoon without looking to me for clues. She saw my slight look of surprise at this last bit.

"Wha' Freddy? Didn't think a, what did Higgins call Eliza, a 'gutter snipe' like me knew the difference between a seafood fork and a salad fork?"

"So, you know My Fair Lady?"

"Well, I seen the movie a couple of times yeah. But to tell the truf, I prefer the original by Shaw."

I laughed "You mean to say Pygmalion?!?! You've seen it?"

She nodded and spoke around a mouthful of watercress. "Yeah, this rich old bugger took me to see it one night before ... ahhhh ... well ... anyways .... I thought it was a lot more interestin' that way instead of a musical. `Sides, everyone rightly knows that Julie Andrews shoulda gotten the role of Eliza. Audrey Hepburn was a looker an all that but couldn't sing a lick." She grinned at me and slurped her wine.

I sat there looking at her in astonishment. "Melissa ...."

She sighed "Right, if you doesn't start callin me Melly I'm gonna make a scene."

"Alright, Melly then. You ARE the most extraordinary young lady."

She squinted at me. "What? `Cuz I knows stuff? You don't think a lower class girl in ... my line of work ... should have read Conan Doyle, or know what fork to use for what?" She sat back in her chair and crossed her arms, her chin down on her chest frowning and muttered "Snob."

I gave her a chagrined look. "I must admit you're right Meli ..." she gave me a sharp look "... Melly. I'm afraid I have fallen prey to a hazard of ..." and I waved around the dining room with my fork "... growing up with all of this. I was being a snob. My apologies."

She raised her eyes up and looked at me through long pale lashes. I don't know why I hadn't noticed her eyes before, but they were the most astonishing shade of blue ... almost aquamarine. She sat up. "Apology accepted." She put her elbow on the table and cupped her chin in her hand. "Now tell me, what's your favorite Holmes adventure, and why?"

The next three hours were amongst the most enjoyable I had since Leticia's passing. To say that Melissa exceeded every snobbish expectation I might have had of her would be an understatement. Without the Cockney accent and occasional rough manner, she could have passed in any drawing room in the county as a well-bred, intelligent daughter of a local merchant or businessman. She was remarkably well read, which she explained. "Well, I'm not busy during the day much am I? And the library is free."

She laughed freely, listened well, smiled often and all in all was an amazing breath of fresh air in what had become for me, the stodgy life of a widower. At one point we were sharing a laugh about how awful the Rathbone/Bruce Holmes films were, and she reached out and touched my hand. I jerked it back quickly.

She gave me an abashed look. "Sorry Freddy, Forgot my promise didn't I?

"Quite alright ...really. I was just ... I mean ... it was .... unexpected."

Her eyes became remarkably soft. She leaned towards me and spoke softly. "Freddy, how long since a woman has touched you?"

I cleared my throat and folded my table napkin. "Well, Melly. I think it's time that I should thank you for a delightful evening and send you home. Just let me ring for Edward ... "I looked at my watch. "Damn, he's gone home by now. Well, I'm sure Daniella or cook can arrange for your transport home."

She gave me a horrified look "What, at this hour?? And I don't know if you noticed but it's right pissin outside and all."

I looked over my shoulder at the window behind me. She was right, it was coming down in sheets. I sighed and tapped my fingers on the table, a perturbed look on my face.

She sighed and folded her napkin as well. "Listen, I can just kip on that sofa in your study and be off in the morning then."

"No, don't be ridiculous. That old beast is barely comfortable enough to sit in, much less spend the night. Should have had it redone ages ago." I thought for another moment and then stood and rang for Daniella.

Several minutes passed before Daniella hurried in wearing a robe and looking like I had woken her up. "Yes sir?"

"Yes, Daniella. Sorry for the bother at this hour but please make up Tabitha's old room in the servant's hall. And if you would please find some nightclothes, towels and some toiletries and such for Melly ... I mean ... Miss Melissa. It's not safe for her to travel home this evening so she will be staying tonight."

"Sir??"

"You heard me, now shoo ..."

Daniella scurried out.

Melissa chuckled. "Ohhh Freddy. There's going to be some right old gossip flyin round the village tomorrow and all."

"Don't be silly, this is all perfectly innocent. Tabitha's room is in the servants hall, well away from my room."

"What, you're going to have them chain me up in there so they knows I won't be sneakin' into your room? If that's your plan, you better know I charges extra for that sort of thing." She was grinning wickedly.

"Melly, don't be vulgar." There was a snappish and harder tone in my voice than I intended, and as soon as I said it I knew I had made a mistake.

She straightened her spine, raised her chin, hardened her look and said "I beg your pardon, LORD Stuyvesant. I clearly forgot my place. Now if you'll excuse me SIR, I'll just be waitin in the other room for Daniella to make arrangements for me."

"Melly, I ..."

She stalked out.

"Damn." I said out loud.

################### Part 4 ###################

An hour later I was sitting in front of the fire in my room in my pyjamas and robe, smoking my Meerschaum and holding a picture of Leticia.

"Darling, what mad impulse drove you to make such an arrangement for me? And what bizarre twist of fate sent Melissa here." I set the picture and my pipe down on the clawfoot smoking table next to my wing chair and laid my head back. "Oh God Letty, I miss you. I miss you so ..." and I started to weep.

A soft knock at the door caused me to stifle my crying and clear my throat. "Yes Daniella? Is Miss Melissa settled?"

I heard the door open, soft footsteps entered the room, and the door softly closed. I looked around the wing of my chair. It was Melissa.

I rose quickly and pulled my robe close around me.

Melissa was in a long, simple white cotton nightdress. Her blonde hair was down, falling in straight lines along her face to her collar bones. It reflected the red glow of the firelight and looked almost bronze. She had on no makeup, but her lips were a soft red. Her extraordinary aquamarine eyes almost glowed.

She smiled softly "They didn't chain me up."

I felt heat rising to my face. Her breasts were obviously loose under the gown, and I could see the points of her nipples. Her bare feet peeked out from below the hem of the nightgown. Her toenails were lacquered in pink.

"Melly ..."

She came to me and touched the tears on my cheeks. She was looking up at me, into my eyes. Without her heels she was much shorter than me and at that moment looked small, innocent and vulnerable. I could almost forget she was a ... well ... what she was. She rose up on her toes, put her hands on my chest and kissed my cheek. I sobbed slightly. She put her head on my chest and hugged me around my waist. I hugged her back, rested my cheek on the top of her head and let my tears flow.

12