The Girl from the Ouachita Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Without looking at him she quietly replied, "You can drop me off at a motel somewhere. I'll check in and get a dorm room tomorrow."

So, Mensa or not, she hasn't planned this out at all, Chris thought. She has no idea whether anyone is on duty during the holidays or not, and, unless she previously made special arrangements, I'll bet her scholarships don't even kick in until she's enrolled for the second semester. Since she just learned she received the scholarships, previous arrangements are unlikely, so...

"My new apartment is only a few miles from TCU. Why waste your money on a motel room when I have a second bedroom without an occupant?"

It was too dark to see the frown and stare, but he could feel them, so he quickly added in a jovial voice, "No strings attached, Jo. We've already established that I'm too old for you, being a generation older and all!

"We'll sleep in, I'll go to work around noon, and this afternoon you can make arrangements with TCU. When I get back I'll take you wherever."

She mumbled, "You don't have to do that. I'll be fine."

Affecting the same jovial voice again, he teased, "Hey, what are friends for? Julie asked me to take care of you until you're a coed, and having you stay in a vacant room that is already paid for is hardly an imposition. Besides, I'm sure it has a lock, and if you're THAT worried about my intentions, you can prop a chair against it."

"Oh, you're hardly that scary, Mr. Alexander! I've handled scarier men, and women, for that matter, than you all my life -- what kind of people do you think hung around my drug addicted alcoholic slut mother?"

The anger and angst in her voice betrayed her fear. She might be super smart and cute -- well, beautiful -- she might have learned to control and manipulate adults to protect herself, and she might have had a truly difficult life, but she was still an eighteen-year-old girl hundreds of miles from anything or anyone familiar.

He maintained his unconcerned front. "Okay, so it's settled; you will stay in your own bedroom at the apartment, get your stuff done while I'm at work, and then I'll take you to the dorm. Heck, I might even throw in a brunch, since we're traveling all night."

She kind of perked up at the mention of food, and he wondered when she had last eaten.

Oh well; they were breezing through Dallas on IH30 by this time, with their destination in Fort Worth only 31 minutes away according, to the Apple Maps Girl. Upon request, she gave him directions to the Clear Fork Apartments; her cheery voice told him to proceed on Interstate 30 for 21 miles, and then exit onto Chisholm Trail Parkway.

They debated whether to eat and then sleep, or sleep and then eat; at Jo's urging, they decided to eat now and sleep after.

Chris exited on University and went to Southern Pancake and Waffle House. Jo ordered something the waiter touted called 'Famous German Pancakes', which arrived covered with butter and powdered sugar. The waiter, who could barely do his job for ogling Jo, squeezed fresh lemon on the concoction before she tried it and gave it two thumbs up.

Chris' stomach revolted at the sight of all those carbs and sugar, so he focused on his rib eye steak, three eggs, grits, with two biscuits, and drank his coffee and milk. Jo scarfed hers stack down and was eyeing the food he had left, so he set his utensils down, patted his stomach, and pushed his plate toward her. "I'm done --would you like a little protein on top of all those carbs?"

She hesitated, but her hunger won out over appearances, so she said, "Well, I don't usually like raw meat or runny eggs, but if you don't want this..."

Maybe she didn't usually like raw meat or runny eggs, but she sopped up the runny eggs with a biscuit, finished the grits, and devoured the last four ounces of the medium rare ribeye without complaint.

She wiped her mouth with her napkin; Chris sipped his coffee and smiled, "Now that was done like a true southern girl! I'm not sure where you put all that in your tiny little belly, but all I can say is 'well done!'"

She grinned, giggled, burped, covered her mouth, and said, "Excuse me!"

They laughed, she blushed, and for the first time since they sang the duets, Chris saw a happy young woman instead of the alternately subdued, angry, or anxious hellion he had driven down from Arkansas.

Apple Map Girl had to recalculate, since he had deviated from the chosen route, but she got them onto the parkway, off at the correct exit, and helped them circle around to the correct apartment. He knew when they got to his apartment because his 2018 Ram 4x4 Longhorn was parked beside his 2014 Jeep Sahara Wrangler 4x4 in the reserved parking spaces.

He backed into the nearest open space. The company had shipped his vehicles down from Nashville, and placed the key to his apartment under the seat of the Ram.

He retrieved the keys, got his duffel bag and suitcase from the company truck, and Jo followed him to his first-floor apartment with her two bags. The first tendrils of sunlight were reaching up from the eastern horizon when he opened the door and they entered into the open kitchen/dining/living area encompassing the center of the apartment.

The apartment was fashionable, with dark hardwood floors, counters, and bars. The counters and bars were topped with granite, the appliances were stainless, and the walls were painted in the most stylish colors. Chris was impressed but disappointed; he had hoped for something more 'homey', like his 55-year-old apartment complex in Hot Springs, or the even older two-story studio where his lived in Knoxville.

They had, however, honored his request for comfortable furniture -- he hated the big, uncomfortable, pillow-covered couches and chairs his rich friends in Nashville and Knoxville preferred.

Jo, on the other hand, was agog. She stood just inside the door and stared at the surroundings and furnishings. She appeared more intimidated than impressed, so he said, "Your bedroom is to the left of the living room. It has its own bath and closet, there are supposed to be fresh linens, towels, etc., so make yourself at home.

"My bedroom is down the hall to the right. If you need me, call me; if not, I'll see you after work this afternoon."

She was still standing still, so he gently nudged her and teasingly said, "Let's make sure your room has a lock."

She followed him through the kitchen and living room, still looking around in awe. He led her to the bedroom door, examined the handle, and exclaimed, "Ahah -- it does lock! Guess you'll be safe after all."

Catching herself, the hellion returned. "Fuck you, Alexander! I'd kick your soft ass if you even dared, but I know you won't!"

She pushed past him into the room, and slammed the door in his face... but not before she heard him say, "I know, I know: you decide who, what, when, why, and how. Goodnight, Tough Guy."

****

He made it to the office at one, just in time to meet with his boss, his boss' boss, his boss' boss' boss, and the big boss. He wasn't expecting all that, and was admittedly a bit intimidated by the four men around the table with him. That they seemed to know all about him, that they expressed appreciation for getting the Bathhouse Row renovations completed on time and within budget, and that the big bossman, Trey Beck, spelled out their reasons, expectations, and hopes for his next assignment, was overwhelming.

He was a 25 year-old with barely three years' experience with the company, and here he was being treated (almost) as an equal by the top brass of a huge commercial construction and development company. True, his experience with his dad's construction and development company back in Tennessee spanned another decade -- between the ages of 12 and 22 -- but still; he was a low-level employee hobnobbing with top-level management and ownership of a Fortune 500 Company!

They cut him loose at three, after an orientation to management practices, indoctrination in management philosophy, and an especially thorough grilling on the use of modern technology in construction, and embedded in the constructions.

He felt he had held his own in that area - his bailiwick -- but he suspected they already knew the answers to the questions he was asked, and he saw the subtle exchanges among them, so it felt more like a pop test. He left with the impressions that he passed, and that they were pleased and impressed, but, shit! What a first meeting!

The conversation because casual and friendly after the quiz, and Trey Beck invited him to bring a guest to the Country Club Friday night to enjoy dinner and dancing with everyone except Tony Snowden and his wife, who were leaving for the holidays. Their wives would be there, of course, but no kids, and the dress would be 'cocktail'. They said their goodbyes, and he went to his truck.

He needed beer and food right away, and then he needed to secure a date for Friday night that could hang with the rich and powerful on their turf, at their Country Club. He knew dozens of qualified young women back in Tennessee, but here? He didn't even know where to start!

Remembering he was supposed to take Jo to the dorm, he headed home; he'd invite her to eat before he dropped her off.

Jo was glad to see him, but surprisingly timid. She was once again dressed in jeans, with a baby blue hoodie this time, and wearing girly athletic shoes with baby blue laces. She looked adorable, until you saw the troubled look on her expressive face.

"What's wrong, Jo?"

"Uh, nothing," she replied tentatively. Then, steeling herself, she stated firmly, "The dorms won't open until January 7, so I found a cheap motel to stay in until then. You can drop me off there."

He knew it! 'So how should I play this', he asked himself. 'The independent little shit would rather die than accept more charity, so...'

"I see you have your bags ready. Got time to grab a bite to eat before you check in? I'm really hungry."

"Uh, I guess so; I have to check in before 7 though, or I lose the room," she replied, becoming more defiant as the answer unfolded.

"Cool; let's go. Is the Jeep okay?"

"That's your gaudy orange Jeep?" she asked with a smirk. "I figured it belonged to some eighteen year old college kid!"

"It belonged to a proud 22 year-old University of Tennessee senior," he replied, "The color is a little too dark -- more like that other UT in Austin -- but it was as close as I could come at the time."

She giggled and looked aghast. "You were 22 and still thought that was cool? You really are an immature dweeb aren't you?"

"Do you want a free meal, or do you want to stand here and make fun of me?" he asked with a sniff, ignoring her aspersion.

She laughed, and started for the Jeep, pausing as she reached the front corner and looked it over.

"Too gaudy for you, Princess? Would you prefer the pickup?" he asked, pointing at his Ram in the next slot.

"You own that monster truck too?" she asked incredulously. "Geez -- a ticked-out Jeep, a fancy pickup, an extravagant apartment -- how freakin' rich are you, Geek-Boy?"

He elevated his nose a bit, and in a clipped British accent replied, "I'm a young upwardly-mobile professional with well-to-do parents, a good job, and nothing to spend my money on because I work 80 hour weeks and my room and board are paid for when I'm on the job.

"So what if I have three vehicles and a three-bedroom apartment all to myself? I like nice things, I have the money, and I'm selfish, so I spend on myself! But, if I can get you to load your cute little butt in one of these vehicles, I'll spend some of it on your supper!"

"You're not a dweebgeek; you're a SNOB dweebgeek! But I'll be glad to help you spend your money, Rich Boy. Where are we eating?"

He opened the passenger door to the Jeep, let her climb in, and asked, "McDonald's okay?"

****

Supper at Pappadeaux's Seafood Kitchen was truly enjoyable. Once again, Jo ate her weight in food and dessert, beginning with shared raw oysters on the half-shell, boiled shrimp, and a bowl of gumbo. They also shared a seafood platter, and then a Turtle Fudge Brownie with pecans and vanilla ice cream.

Jo bubbled with excitement from the moment he courteously seated her, displaying her girlish charms while incessantly asking questions about him, and mesmerizing him with those big emerald green eyes the darkness and her reticence had denied him the night before.

By the time she pushed her chair back, gestured at the dirty dishes scattered across their table with a wide-eyed expression of astonishment at how much she had eaten, and proclaimed, "If I eat another bite, I'll explode!" his opinion of her had morphed and solidified.

His parents -- his mother in particular -- were huge fans of the Princess of Monaco, and owned all eleven of her movies. He had been bored as a boy by the drama of some of the films, which seemed to always feature a young Grace Kelly opposite an older man -- usually a much older man. By the time he reached his teens, however, he ignored the settings, the plots, and the co-stars to focus on his first love, Princess Grace. She was so beautiful and refined, with such delicate features; she became his ideal of beauty.

Until tonight. Well, maybe until last night in Hot Springs when Jo sat down at his table, but certainly tonight, sitting across from her, in excellent lighting; she redefined 'beautiful' for Chris.

'How cruel,' he thought, 'that the first woman I've been attracted to since Becky gutted me is a girl! A young girl with a head filled with anger, angst, resentment, and defiance! And yet girlishly innocent, naïve, and beautiful beyond description!'

The waiter brought their bill and hovered; he gave him a credit card, and signed when he returned. Chris knew they wanted them to leave, because there was a big group of people around the bar waiting to be seated. He didn't want to leave, because it meant he would have to face her wrath when he declined to take her to the motel, but he would not surrender her to the fates without a fight.

When they were in the Wrangler he asked, "Where to, Mademoiselle?"

She stoically read him the address off a post-it note; he translated it to the Apple Map Girl, and she plotted a route.

Jo was quiet on the way over, but when he slowed and turned into a seedy motel in a run-down part of town, she merely thanked him for the meals, and for his hospitality. He stopped, she reached for her door handle, and Chris sharply said, "Stop!"

She froze and looked back over her shoulder at him; was that a wisp of hopefulness on her face, or resentment? He hurried on.

"Jo, I can't let you do this! Julie assigned you to my care, and I would be a piss-poor 'guardian' to let you off here at this dirty and dangerous place in a bad section of town, much less allow you to spend your money on a bedbug-infested motel room, when I have a perfectly nice bedroom without anyone in it!"

She started to bow up a bit, so he quickly continued. "I know you don't want to be beholden to anyone, being an independent woman and all, but how about we work a deal? We return to my apartment, you help me set up my office, rearrange things to make it seem more homey, and go shopping for groceries with me?

"You said you've been cooking for your mom and her boyfriends' family for several years. I'm not a great cook, by any means, although I'm pretty good with a grill and I make a decent breakfast.

"I could use your help while I get settled in at my apartment and my new job. I'm working from home the next two days to set up my office, go over the policy manual, and review the preliminary plans for my next project. I really could use the help!"

She looked skeptical, so he continued, "Maybe you even could even help me make the place more inviting; you know, decorate a bit. If not, there is supposedly a good workout facility onsite, nice walking, biking, and running trails along the river, and a large commons area and clubhouse you can use to stay busy.

"You'll be helping me, and saving your money for something better than shitty housing."

She appeared to be enduring an internal struggle, until her intelligence ultimately overrode her stubbornness. "Okay," she replied reluctantly, "but I will WORK for my room and board; I will not provide any other services -- are we clear!"

"Yes, mam; you decide who, what, where, when..."

"Stop that!" she interjected with a sudden grin. "I get that you get it, so let it lie! Let's go home!"

Catching herself, she quickly corrected. "I mean, let's go to your sterile new apartment and see if there is anything we can do to make it less... cold and unwelcoming. But we should probably go grocery shopping first -- you have nothing to eat or drink in that whole big kitchen!"

"We don't have pots, pans, plates, and all that either, do we?" he asked. She shook her head, so he asked Apple Map Girl for the nearest Costco or Sam's Club. Costco was closer and he already had a membership; it was a short drive.

The kitchen stuff Chris had in storage was from college and it was in poor condition. He had hoped that would be included in the steep rent, but since it wasn't, he decided to start over and buy things a rising young professional should have for entertaining.

They began with kitchen utensil, then table settings and dining supplies. She had a discerning eye, read the fine print, and bought things in sets that matched or complemented each other. Before long they had a flat full of boxes, so she went back to the door to get a cart for the grocery shopping.

Costco quantities were a bit much for a single guy, or even a single guy with a 110-pound glutton for a roommate, so they decided to get the staples there and then go shop for the rest at a grocery store.

That decision led them a bit further south to a little town called Burleson, which had an HEB grocery store.

Chris' crew at Hot Springs was from south Texas, and they always raved about HEB while making fun of the local grocery stores, so he was willing to drive a ways to try it.

It had everything they said, including variety, large selections, and great prices. With an unlimited budget, Jo quickly filled the cart with nutritious foods and delicious-sounding ready-to-cook meals made in the store. They bought cold bags for the milk, fresh orange juice, and refrigerated and frozen foods, and hauled it all out to the heavy-laden Jeep.

Taking a different route back through fallow farmland took them past a couple of large home developments, with two story houses that looked alike stacked together side by side, with a board fences splitting the paltry ten feet between them. He said he would never buy a home in a division like that; she gave him a questioning look, but said she agreed.

Continuing north or Hulen Street, they passed a large mall boasting Dillard's and Macy's as anchor stores. Knowing the state of Jo's wardrobe, based on the two small bags she brought, he filed that away for future reference.

She would fight him about it, but he would not let her start at TCU looking like a ragamuffin! A beautiful but sensitive young woman like Jo would be embarrassed to the point of humiliation if teased about her clothes!

She chattered merrily about things he should consider at 'the house'. He listened to her melodious voice and considered her recommendations, but replied only if prompted. Hell, he'd barely seen the place, and hadn't even gone into the bedroom he was going to use as an office! She had been there all day! What could he know that she didn't?

Once they got to the apartment, Jo grabbed her backpack, suitcase, and a couple of food sacks; she hurried to the door. He gathered more food sacks and walked up to the house, cursing when he remembered he'd have to set half the sacks down to get his key out and open the door... except it was already open.