The Girl in the Red Cloak Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
peaches07
peaches07
456 Followers

"Let me gather my things," she said, and retraced her steps to her haversack, with Lukas trailing behind her. "What is our ultimate destination, anyway?" she called over her shoulder. "The castle?"

"Maybe. We'll head in that general direction, and my contacts will make the arrangements. We'll go where they set up a meeting. We're about a week out from there now, traveling on foot. Unless Healers are entitled to free horses, too?"

"No," said Clara, as she packed her waterskin and bread. "Most Healers don't ride, we walk. Sometimes a Healer will be given a horse as a gift, but even then not everyone chooses to ride."

"Wouldn't it be faster to ride?"

"Yes, but going faster isn't usually the point." Clara stood, her bag packed. Lukas nodded at her and set off. "If there is a plague of some sort, and multiple healers are needed right away, we ride if possible. But when walking about the countryside, you're far more likely to encounter rural homes and farmers, or other people outside of cities who need help. It gives them more time to see us coming and hail us down." She ducked under a low branch. "Where's your horse, if you're so convinced of the benefits of riding?" She knew she was being a bit insolent, but felt no guilt over it.

"I couldn't sneak about very well with a horse, and crossing the border is a delicate business." He stopped to take her hand as he led her across a pile of boulders. She picked her way carefully to avoid twisting an ankle, grateful for his support. "I planned on stealing one once I got to a town, but I had to take a detour once I realized I was being followed. I thought I'd be able to throw him off, but he was a better tracker than I'd given him credit for." His hand, perhaps subconsciously, touched his ribs. "And that's about where you came in." Lukas grinned at her, his blue eyes sparkling in the morning sun. "Naturally I couldn't end up with a riding Healer," he teased.

"How would you lead a horse on this route?" asked Clara, as they finally cleared the boulder pile. The sun felt good on her achy body, its warmth helping her muscles loosen.

"If we had horses, we'd take the main road. Go flying past all those little hovels full of sick people you like so well." Lukas withdrew his hand, and she fought against her disappointment. "I may yet steal us some."

"You will do no such thing! Not on my watch," Clara admonished. Lukas gave her a pained look.

"You realize this is an important mission we're on, don't you? Time is of the essence. Every day this ridiculous war goes on, more men die needlessly. On both sides."

Clara recognized the truth of his words. She recalled the young men she'd seen die at the front. Old men, too, but it was the young men who'd still had so much life before them that really tugged at her heart. "Let me barter a ride for us, then. There must be some merchant or farmer in need of a Healer who also has goods to take into the capital city. I'm sure they would be only too obliging to help a Healer."

"It would mean going into a town."

"Perhaps, but wouldn't you have to go into town to steal horses?" she countered. Lukas laughed, and she found she enjoyed the sound more than she should.

"Well-played, Red. We'll see which opportunity arises first. I'm not adverse to using that red cloak of yours to our benefit." He shaded his eyes and looked ahead. The trees were beginning to thin, a sign they were reaching the edge of the forest. "We're nearly to the next stage of our journey. Sure you won't turn back?"

"Quiet, Eustace," she said. "We'll be in civilization soon."

peaches07
peaches07
456 Followers
12