The Good Housemaster Ch. 3

Story Info
The Christmas Ball.
8.9k words
4.8
3.4k
1

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 03/29/2024
Created 02/22/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I sit at my kitchen table, staring at the scarlet note. Is this triggering all of these memories from so long ago? The almost caning? Did that really happen? The whole affair almost seemed like a dream. Closing my eyes, I try to relax and follow the thread I had begun to pull out of my past. It's becoming more difficult. The last day before break. The grades. There was a celebration. Did I talk with Penelope? Nothing is clear anymore. There was music. Strange music...

I jump at the sound of the bell at my door. With my train of thought shattered, I stand up slowly. It's barely three. Must be the post. Trudging through the common room, I open the door to the cloudy day and find three smiling faces greeting me.

"Hello, Alan!"

It's Lauren, Natalie, and Dorothy. My recent memories overlay on their friendly expressions, and I suddenly realize how much we've aged these thirty years. "A bit early, eh?"

The curly-haired brunette in the group shrugs. "I met up with Natalie and Dorothy, so we decided to come over."

"Really," I say with a bit of exasperation. "Well, come in, you lot."

Natalie leads the way, her almond eyes scanning the living area. "All ready I see. What are we drinking tonight?"

I laugh. To see the once quiet and reserved student so outgoing really creates a sense of dichotomy in me. "They're chilling, so you'll just have to be patient."

She shrugs good naturedly and turns back to the tow-headed woman behind her. "Told you we should have waited."

Dorothy shifts a large flat box in her hands. "Well! I'll just have to put this cake in the kitchen then."

I move out in front of her. "Let me clear these cards off the table. Shifting them into a corner, my eyes are caught again by the red stationary with gold embossing. Picking it up, I turn and hold it out. "Dorothy, do you have any idea who this could have been sent by?"

She takes it from my hand and peers at the words through her glasses. "The Knights? The Future Knights?"

The other two come in and stare over her shoulders, but after a few moments they all have the same confused expression I did this morning. Lauren scratches her head. "From when we were just kids?"

"Unless you've been using that moniker lately?" They all shake their heads negatively. "Then we have a mystery on our hands."

Natalie takes the note. "I haven't thought of those days in years."

"Well I have. The moment this thing arrived, I'm recalling people and events as if they were yesterday."

Lauren places a hand on a well rounded hip. "Thinking of us, have you?"

I smirk. "Yes. And other people. Do you remember your classmates and professors from Eddington?"

Dorothy perks up with that distinctive smile. "We remember you, Professor."

"Don't call me that, Miss Akins."

"OooOoOoo..." They all chime together. "Are we in trouble?"

It's uncanny how they start talking so alike when we're all together. "No. I'm being serious here. Do you remember a Ms. Pritchard?"

"Who?" Each of them look at each other. "Pritchard?"

"One of the professors." They all stand there thinking. Well, Penelope did have only one class with each of them thirty years ago. "Blond woman. Over Phys. Ed. About thirty-five."

Lauren's face clears. "Oh. Yeah. She was pretty strict."

I hide my smirk. Of course she would remember her that way. Especially after the detention. "What about her daughter? Amelia?"

Now they all look at me in bafflement. "Who?"

"She was your classmate. Blond hair as well. Taller than you Lauren."

Natalie's brow furrows. "There were more than a couple of blondes, Alan."

I sigh, growing perturbed. "She was in your house for pity's sake." Again, questioning glances. "She was part of your group!"

"Alan," Lauren says steadfastly. "There were only four of us in the Knights."

I turn away, thinking hard. No. The memories are too real. They should have some recollection of her. And yet; I'm having the same problem. I didn't really remember any of these until this morning.

"Alan?" Natalie swings around the table to face me. "What's going on?"

I look back into her questioning eyes. "I'm not sure. I remember a classmate of yours who was having trouble. You took her into your circle the first semester."

"I think we would remember someone like that."

"I know. And now I realize I can't recall much of anything after the first term exams."

Lauren absently brushes back her thick hair. "Come to think of it, I really only have vague memories too. Except for the end, of course."

We all stand there silently, looking at each other. It was horrible. "I should have stopped him."

Dorothy reaches out to me but then stops herself. "No one expected Sherman to do what he did."

I try to smile. "This should be a celebration. Instead, I'm reminiscing..."

Natalie taps the counter top with a finely manicured nail. "These memories of us; do you think it has something to do with your ability?"

That again. How much of my life has been overshadowed by the way people react to me? "I'm not sure. It's ancient history anyway."

Dorothy picks up the card again. "Well, somebody thought it important to bring this up. Maybe we can help you remember."

I see Natalie and Lauren glance at each other. I know what they're thinking. "No. It's too unpredictable. Every time I try to force myself to use it in some way, something loony happens."

"I'll say," Lauren responds, laughing quietly.

Natalie folds her arms. "But we're older now. More mature."

"And we were all there." Dorothy looks up at me through her glasses. "If we all focus, maybe something will kick loose."

I stare at the three of them. Can I keep control? Just focus on the buried memories that might be just out of reach? With the recollection I had earlier already fading, I reluctantly nod. "We will try to remember just the days at school. Nothing else."

"Of course, Alan."

Again, that weird synchronization. I can see through Dorothy's glasses that her eyes quickly jerk down and to the right as her creative mind takes in the problem. I give her a few moments of uninterrupted time as she thinks hard. The tow-headed woman finally focuses back on me.

"We should all sit at the table and hold hands."

I smirk. "A seance? That's what you came up with?"

She raises an eyebrow at me. "You should know better, Alan. We will do our best not to influence you as you try to remember. You are the one that will have to find our memories."

Lauren grins. "Do we get to touch? Now this is a party I like!"

The blond woman turns on her. "None of that! No matter what we feel, we have to remain calm. Anything else, and as Alan said, things will get; weird." The other two seem to agree. Dorothy points to the four chairs at the kitchen table. "Me and Natalie will be at each side."

Lauren harrumphs. "I see how it is."

I stare at her. "Any more of that, and you can just sit in the living room."

Her lips purse. "That won't be necessary."

We all settle into our chairs and prepare ourselves. I have never attempted anything like this before. I didn't even know if my power works this way anyway. Trying to relax, I close my eyes. "I'm starting to think about the first term."

"When you think you're ready, take a deep breath." Dorothy's high-pitched voice is just a whisper to my left. They say nothing else, as I remember the first day. Then the midterm. Helping Amelia with her grades... I take a deep breath, and both my hands are filled with warmth. I breathe again, and the images become clearer...

Oh... Wow...

Stop that. We are just here to... Oh, my...

The morning dawns crisp and cool. The last day has arrived, and I'm glad to say I finally had a good night's rest. The halls are mostly clear as the ladies are getting themselves organized for the winter break. A few professors are already posting the results of the tests as I close up my residence. Reaching the classroom, I waste no time hanging the sheets outside. This takes a few minutes, and as I just seat myself, several footsteps approach. A squeal of triumph. Then there are other voices, and not all of them were happy. Well, I did grade strictly, but fairly. A new group arrives, and I know immediately who they are.

"Wow Dorothy! How did you get that?!" It's Amelia's excited voice.

"Why, listening to the professor, of course."

"And non-stop reading. Do you ever put your books down?"

"Yes. To write." She laughs.

"Is that your score, Katie?" That was Natalie.

"Yeah," she says, a bit subdued. "Better than nothing, I guess."

"Well, you were busy helping us. It's our turn to help you out next term."

"I'll hold you to that!" There are more chuckles.

"So," Amelia again. "Did it arrive?"

"Hush!" several of them hiss. They speak softly now and move off. I find myself actually disappointed that none of them entered my classroom, but I knew they were needing to check their other test scores. Hours pass, and the syllabus is finally complete for next spring. Locking my desk and cabinet, I close up the room for the holidays.

I take the short walk back to my room and prepare the luggage for a visit to my family. The corridor is quiet again as the parents are starting to arrive and inspect the girl's rooms. I have a feeling that will soon change as the hour for the Yule Ball is fast approaching.

Reaching into my closet, I pull out a new suit purchased in Birmingham for the afternoon's occasion. It's a slate gray double-breasted affair that looks a bit more dapper than my old one. Even though I hated these gatherings, I'll be meeting some of the parents soon and figured it would be best to make the most positive impression I can. The noise down the hallway near the main entrance is starting to grow louder. Taking a deep breath, I open the door, put on a smile, and walk casually towards the gathering crowd.

I see the lines and pause. There are students from both Shrewsberry and our own mixed together, filing into the Main Hall. I take notice that the young men are much better behaved with their guardians escorting them in. The ladies are transformed in their formal dresses and makeup that their parents brought for them. Most are smiling or holding onto a father's arm as they talk animatedly with each other. Girding myself, I merge into the queue.

I finally enter the freshly decorated Hall. The soft and fair music of a string quartet carries over the building crowd. The heavy tables, now covered in white cloth, are all pushed to the sides, creating an open space where many of the people are starting to mingle. Above us, silver and white streamers with balloons are hanging from the high ceiling. After all that we have been through the last few days, I hope that it wasn't Penelope who had to go up there.

Realizing I'm famished, I waste no time grabbing a plate at the buffet. Cornish hen. Buttered Potatoes. Cranberries. Quite the spread. Reaching the end, I look up and have to smile. There sits our groundskeeper in a festive top hat.

"Allo, guvn'r. Might I interest you in my mulled wine?"

"Absolutely, Mr. Davies." I happily take a glass and raise it. "To your health."

The late thirty-something glances around. "Can't argue with that!" Grabbing a serving himself, he takes a quick gulp. "Mums the word, or Ms. Pritchard will have me head."

Pressing a finger to my lips, I make my way to a relatively empty table, where I eat in peace for exactly two minutes.

"Professor Wright."

That nasally voice. "Professor Brown," I say evenly.

"If I may, I was hoping to clear the air between us."

I shift in my seat to face his imposing figure. "Sir. I know I'm junior here, but after the last few months, you have to admit that there are problems in your house."

"I know. Discipline has been slipping..."

"That's not it, sir." I stand, my anger barely in check. The housemaster's head jerks, and he takes a sudden step back. "Your students pass. That's fine. They say 'Sir' and do what you ask. But they shouldn't have to fear you."

The dark-eyed man composes himself. "I see you're a man with conviction. But one word of warning."

"Yes?"

"These young women. They will run roughshod over you if you show weakness. I promise you that."

I stand a little straighter, which is still three inches shorter than Brown. "Our definition of weakness is obviously different, sir."

The man sniffs. "Apparently. Your 'dedication' to the work is beyond reproach. I just think you're unaware..." He then looks over and sees Penelope approaching. "Ms. Pritchard."

"Housemaster. Could I borrow Professor Wright for a moment?"

I can tell that the enigmatic man wants to say more. "Enjoy the Winter Break, Professor." He gazes at Penelope for a long moment and smirks. "Both of you." With that, he joins a group of the senior staff.

"What was all that about?"

"Just; clearing the air." I try to smile. "Were you coming to rescue me?"

A quick laugh. "No, Professor. It looked like you were doing just fine. In fact, I just finished supervising and changed."

"As I can see." Penelope had in fact gone to some trouble and is now wearing a very modern blue, purple, and green paisley dress. The blond hair, no longer pulled into a bun, flows freely down her shoulders. Her lips are now a flattering mauve as well. "So. You're not here in your official capacity, then?"

"Not anymore. As a parent, I'm allowed to..."

"Mother!" We both twist around. Amelia is cutting quite a swath in the crowd as she approaches in a lavender dress with white heels. She's all smiles. "I passed everything!"

Penelope looks nonplussed as she is embraced by her daughter. Stunned actually. Apparently, she's overwhelmed by the sudden display of affection. Eventually, the mother recovers and raises her arms to hug back. "That's amazing, sweetheart."

They slowly disengage, and Amelia looks at me. "Ooooh! I need to find Katie! I'll be right back!"

Penelope still looks a bit discombobulated. "Are you okay?"

"That's the first hug I've got out of her since; the accident."

"That's a good thing, right?"

She turns to me and beams. "The best. I've never felt so good. Thank you."

"Me?"

She nods. "You have been..."

"Sir!"

Another interruption. This time it's Miss Akins and Chung who are grinning. "Hello, ladies."

"Could you come over and meet our parents?"

Penelope waves at me. "Off you go."

I try not to scowl at her. Turning, I let the stylishly dressed young women lead me to a fair-sized group. "This is Professor Wright." Dorothy introduces me to her parents, who are just as yellow-haired as their daughter.

They both smile and shake my hand. "We've heard so much about you today. An outstanding in writing?"

"A well-deserved one, I can assure you. And Miss Chung's parents? Her essays were quality as well."

"Indeed." It's obvious who her father is, as he stands there stoically. Her mother, however, is a bit more of a mystery. Her light olive skin doesn't look eastern at all. "We thank you. Both of us are honored by her performance." There is a slight accent. A colony? 

"Mother..." Natalie bows her head for a moment, but I still see her shy smile. "I will get that outstanding next term, sir."

There's Lauren standing behind them. She seems a bit uncertain about approaching us, and I think I know why. The last thing I'm sure she wanted was her family finding out about the reason for her detention. It's time to smooth things over. "Miss White. I'm happy to see your average was well above the form."

She uncertainly steps forward. "Thank you, Professor."

The balding father looks back and forth between us. "Honey, is there something wrong?"

There she goes, red all over again. "Nothing... I mean; of course not, dad."

The heavy-set man looks me over, but after a bit of discussion about her classwork, the gentleman relaxes. I could tell Lauren realizes I wasn't going to bring the subject up, and she slowly begins to smile. Soon, the curly haired lady is back to her gabby self again.

"...and after the break, we'll start house competitions."

"Will we get to watch?" Lauren's mom asks me.

"I honestly don't know. Although I think it would be a good excuse to get the parents more involved."

"I do hope so." She titters. "I now know why Lauren is taking such an interest in writing. You're so well spoken, Professor."

"Thank you, ma'am." This wasn't going nearly as badly as I feared. Everyone seems to be at least polite and genuinely interested in their grown children. Speaking of which, why are the three of them nudging each other? I slowly turn and see Amelia clearing the way for Katie and her parents to join us.

Miss Jones looks almost as hesitant as Miss White did earlier. Squaring her shoulders, she steps up. "Professor Wright. May I introduce my father, Mr. Avery Jones, MP."

"So this is the Prof I've had to go to so much trouble for!" The slightly shorter gentleman grins. "Speaking of her. Honey, you have something for the man in the whistle?"

"Dad...!" Katie looks mortified.

"Just having fun, little one." Mr. Jones shakes my hand energetically. "Good to meet you, sir!"

"You too: sir." I try to match his grip. "I can see where Miss Jones learned to be so outspoken."

"The apple of my eye." The man looks lovingly down at his daughter and notices her exasperation. "Ah. You go ahead then."

Rolling her eyes, she composes herself once again. "My mother, Abigail Jones."

I reach out a hand to greet her, but find that they are quite full at the moment with a box in them. The other girls join Katie, and I could see they were trying to look serious. Only the raven-haired lady manages to do so. "Sir. I hope it's not impertinent, but I wish to thank you. We all do, actually."

I raise my eyebrows in surprise. "Miss Jones...?"

The young woman looks at her friends standing around her, and she takes a deep breath. "I just wanted to say; I'm thankful to be in your class, sir."

I face her gobsmacked. Miss Jones, the spiky one, is letting her guard down. "Well, I'm glad you finished your test and passed."

"With your help, sir. So; with you being sick and all, we decided to get something." She takes the box from her mother and holds it out to me.

"What's this?" It's quite heavy for its size. I carefully put it on a table and start to open it. Penelope now stands next to her daughter with obvious curiosity as I pull the top. Staring into the box, my mouth opens. It's a wind-up desktop clock.

"So you won't be late, sir," Dorothy says.

The timepiece wasn't antique, but it did have a look of quality. I can see it had three chime modes, which I could turn on and off if I wanted to. "This is too much..."

"I dare say so," Mr. Jones says chortling. "But keeping my girl in good standing, I have to say, it's a bargain."

Amelia steps up. "We will share the cost."

"And it's nearly Christmas," Miss Chung says softly.

Miss White even flashes a big smile. "Happy Christmas, sir."

The others join in, and I feel suddenly overwhelmed by my emotions. I just feel so full inside! Then I realize that we are just staring at each other with the biggest grins on our faces. In fact, people outside our circle are turning and smiling as well. I'm shaking inside and spread my arms. "I don't know what to say. Thank you all so much."

They all sigh in contentment. As if a spell is cast, the girls begin to hug their parents. There's so much warmth and admiration everywhere! Even Natalie's father pats her on the shoulder. Closing up the box, I nod to Katie, and she approaches. "You didn't have to do this."

"I did, sir." She exhales. "I thought I copped a flower pot, as my dad would say. I wasn't lying when I said he would have killed me."

"Your father does come on strong, but he seems; amiable enough."

"Well, he can be a bit old-fashioned at home." Seeing my look, she waves her hand. "Nothing too bad. You know how it is in East-End."