The Good Neighbour

Story Info
All you need is love. It mends the most broken of hearts.
21k words
4.86
54.8k
242
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,348 Followers

A/N -- Hey, hey, another romance story. Overly sentimental, probably more than one trope, no doubt entirely predictable, the usual mix of romance and drama, and a sugary sweet happy ending. But it's what I like to write and I assume what many also like to read, so hopefully we all end up happy with the result!

No long or overly descriptive sex scenes. I keep that sort of thing to other categories.

All editing by the author. Grammar isn't entirely perfect. Been a long time since I sat in a school classroom. Spelling should be pretty much on point. Microsoft Word will usually do the job on that.

Comments and feedback appreciated as always. I generally always reply to feedback by email, as long as you attach an email address.

Like and subscribe! No, wait, that's YouTube...

*****

"You do know the car is a little ridiculous, son."

I was busy polishing it and gave him a glare from behind my sunnies. "What's wrong with it?"

I stepped back and smiled. It was the car I'd always wanted. Having grown up on a diet of American action movies, I always wanted one of two cars. A version of Steve McQueen's Ford Mustang from 'Bullitt', or at least something similar, a new variation, or a Chevrolet Corvette. Everyone loved a 'vette. Or, as per that sleazy Simon character in 'True Lies', the 'vette gets 'em wet.

I didn't get my hands on a vintage Mustang, but the one sitting in my driveway was a real beauty. All the bells and whistles. Most powerful engine available. I loved just starting it up and letting it idle, occasionally letting the exhaust roar with a dab of my right foot.

"Doesn't really fit in with this street, does it? Definitely the major sign that a single and probably available young man lives here."

"So?"

"Well, you've been here a week now. I'm still wondering why you've moved here. I mean, I don't know exactly how much you have in those accounts of yours, but considering your patent and everything else. Do you still have the city apartment?"

"Julie is living there now."

"Your assistant?"

"CEO, Dad. Women can be them nowadays."

"I didn't mean it like that. But you own the company and, well, I'm still trying to comprehend you moving back this way."

"Dad, I was born and bred here. At heart, I'm a fucking bogan. These are my people. I can't stand those snooty pricks in the eastern suburbs. Bunch of fake bastards, the lot of them. You and me, Mum and my sister, the people up and down this street, real people, the bread and butter of society. This is real life."

"And the house?"

"My company runs itself. I might have to pop in one or two days a month, but I can do everything else online nowadays. Come on, Dad, we restored that old Commodore when I turned sixteen. Took us three years, but we got it done. And I've always worked with my hands. It's blind fucking luck I created that fucking app for smartphones. Who knew it was going to make absolutely millions?! Now my company is doing all sorts regarding future technology."

"You're twenty-eight now. Thinking of settling down?"

"Ugh, Mum's been in your ear again," I muttered. I jerked my head, beckoning him to follow. The house was still rather empty. I hadn't brought anything from my city apartment since Julie had moved in. I'd made her day when offering it. She was paying fifteen percent under market rate rent, and she'd pay the bills, but any issues, I said to just call me.

Grabbing a beer for Dad and myself, he perched himself on the stool across the counter. The kitchen was still a mess as I intended to rip it out and put in a brand spanking new one. We took a gulp from our bottles before I sighed. "Look, after that last relationship, I'm just not sure I'm ready to go there again. Soon as they figure out who I am, their eyes light up with dollar signs. Megan made me feel like nothing but a walking ATM most of the time. Then there was Samantha before that. I'm just glad I didn't marry the cow. Fucking hell..."

"Sounds like you have trust issues." I snorted. That wasn't the half of it, to be honest. "Well, looks like there are a few single women around here." I smirked as I sipped at my beer. "What?"

"Already had more than one knock on the door."

"Oh... about what?"

"Introducing themselves, asking if I needed anything, and just being overly obvious in their attentions otherwise. I guess going around without a shirt while working away doesn't help the situation."

"Tart." We burst into laughter. "Still going to install a pool out back?"

I nodded. "Comes next Saturday. I'll start laying the ground work this week."

"So you won't be doing any what I'd consider 'regular' work?"

"No need, Dad. I own this house. No mortgage, only bills. My investments are already making a killing. I'm making money not doing anything. I can focus on getting this place ship shape, make it just how I want it, then I'll happily live here. I never disliked growing up where I did, Dad. I only moved east as it seemed the thing to do."

"Well, your mother is glad her son is now a ten minute drive away instead of an hour."

"Just remind her she can't just drop around every single day. I will be busy."

"I'll remind her but you know she won't listen."

While I focused on getting the house into order during the week, I found myself walking up and down the street, chatting away with many of neighbours. It wasn't any great shock to find that a dozen households were filled with single mothers. It wasn't an indictment of society, just an example of the realities faced nowadays. I didn't ask too many personal questions, though I learned there were a lot of children on my street.

The backyard was a disaster area when I'd moved in, but I managed to get it ready for the arrival of the in-ground pool on Sunday. That drew the attention of nearly the entire street as a crane had to lift it over the house into the backyard. Took all day just to get it positioned. Once they were done, it was up to me to get the rest sorted. Took another week to get the stone slabs positioned around it. Then I had to fill it with water, make sure the filter and all the additional paraphernalia was in working order. I was tempted to put a fence around it, but I was going to have an all new fence around my property, so dismissed that idea.

A month after I'd moved in, at least half the backyard was in better condition. The area around the pool was almost how I wanted it. I had garden furniture and an enormous barbecue and grill. I'd already had a few mates around for a night on the booze. Thankfully, no-one ended up in the pool considering we all ended up in quite the state.

It was a Wednesday morning, busy working in the kitchen as I'd now torn the entire thing out, that I wandered across to my next door neighbour. Her name was Sally. A delightful blonde, very cute, mother to two children. She smiled seeing me at the door, inviting me in for a coffee. "What brings you here?" she wondered.

"Well, you know how I've got the pool and all..."

She laughed. "You're the only house on the street with a pool now, Chris."

"I am. I would have thought..."

"I can only guess you're thinking something."

"Well, yeah, definitely am now. I was thinking of hosting a little party. I've got a big pool, I love kids, and the parents might want a dip too. The whole reason I moved into an area like this was to surround myself with friendly neighbours. I've been here a month, kept to myself for the most part as I'm rather busy with my house, so I figured inviting everyone would help us get to know each other."

Sally smiled. "Sounds like a fabulous idea. Want me to send a message around or...?"

"I was thinking of making actual invitations, or at least some sort of pamphlet, for next Saturday."

"Fantastic. If you get them in the mailbox by Friday, everyone will have a week to reply and let you know. But considering every kid around here saw the pool delivered, they'll all jump at the chance." She paused and met my eyes. "You like kids?"

"My sister is ten years younger than me. When I was eighteen, she was eight. Utterly adorable. Felt like I helped raise her at times. Guess, in the back of my mind, is the idea of wanting my own one day. Seeing them happily playing around here reminds me of my own childhood. I sense I'm already trusted to keep an eye on them when I'm outside working on my front lawn or with my car."

"Careful, Chris. Some women who hear that will leap on you."

"Including you, Sally?" I asked, taking a sip of my coffee.

"Only in your dreams."

I snorted, which made her giggle. But she seemed rather excited by the idea of a pool party. I'd enjoyed quite a few while I was a kid. If you had a friend whose house had a pool, you'd hit the jackpot, particularly during the long, hot summers.

Instead of just placing the invitations in the mailbox, I knocked on doors and handed them out in person. Nearly everyone I spoke to immediately replied they'd come visit, ensuring they had my number so they could contact me. I said there was a pool, there'd be a barbecue, drinks for both kids and adults, but if people wanted to bring something, they'd be welcome. I just warned them about the inside of the house.

Arriving at one house, I noticed it was in dire need of some TLC. I'd been told by Sally who owned the house. She was someone who kept to herself. I'd heard rumours about what had happened. Single mother, three young children, all under five, including a child under one. Still, she was a neighbour, like everyone else. I hadn't met her yet though.

Knocking on the door, it was opened by a cute little girl of no older than five years old. Blonde hair. Blue eyes. Cheeky grin. Immediately adorable. "Hello," she said.

"Well, hello. Is your mother home?"

She turned and yelled, "Mummy! There's a man at the door for you!"

I stepped back as the screen door was opened by her mother, noticing her pull the other door nearly closed. Brunette, shoulder length hair. Pale skin. Blue eyes. I stopped there as the glare in them surprised me. It was positively hate-filled. "What do you want?" she spat.

Okay, I didn't expect that sort of reaction. But I managed a smile, handing her one of the pamphlets. "I'm hosting a pool party next Saturday. I'm inviting everyone on the cul-de-sac. Food and drinks. Kids can enjoy the pool. You're more than welcome to attend."

She glanced at it for a second before handing it back. "No thanks."

"What?" I asked, "What about your kids? Surely they'd love..."

"They're not your concern. Why do you even care anyway?"

I scratched the back of my head, taken aback by the hostility. "I'm just trying to do something nice."

She snorted. "Nice? Fuck off with nice. What are you even doing here anyway?"

I felt my brow furrow. "What do you mean? Here at your door or..."

"Single man like yourself. I see your nice car. The pool you've had installed. The house improvements you're making. What are you trying to prove or achieve here, eh? Just another man..."

I held up both hands defensively. "Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Look, lady, all I'm doing is introducing myself to my neighbours and hoping to get to know everyone in return."

"Well, introduce yourself by getting the fuck off my property." Without another word, she turned back and practically slammed the front door.

"What the fuck was that about?" I muttered to myself.

I finished handing out the pamphlets, every other neighbour greeting me cheerfully. I needed answers though, as I did wonder if the angry lady had figured out who I was. My face wasn't particularly well known, as I avoided the media, in regards to anything where my picture would be taken, but if you did search my name, you'd figure out rather quickly who I was. I found myself in Sally's kitchen rather quickly again. Probably quickly enough to set tongues wagging and the rumour mill to kick in.

"Okay, who is at number fifteen?" I wondered.

"Laura." Then she sighed. "Shit, I bet she gave you a serving, didn't she?"

"Never met her before but it seemed she just hated me on sight. I mean..."

"It's not you, Chris. She hates... Well, being blunt, she hates men. I don't mean one of your bra-burning, man-hating social media idiots who despise men for no personal reason other than the fact your kind exists. She's been hurt. Badly. More than once, to be honest. And, unfortunately, anyone with something dangling between their legs will not be treated kindly. Well, except her son. Treats him like a little prince, from what I've seen."

"How badly hurt?"

"It's not my place to say. It all happened before you moved in. But she's practically a recluse except when she goes to work."

I wasn't going to admit that, despite the hostility, I'd actually found her attractive. She'd been wearing a tight shirt that showed off a generous bust and a great pair of legs as her shorts had been rather... short. I was thankful to have been wearing sunnies. Figured she'd have smacked the shit out of me for checking her out otherwise.

"I'll have a couple of the girls have a word in her ear this week, Chris. She might show up if we can convince her."

"Shit, I'm not sure..."

"If I told you she was actually really sweet when you get to know her..." She saw my face and laughed. "Yeah, I guess not."

"Well, if she does show up, I'll make myself scarce. Or send one of the few men on the street in her direction instead."

I spent the week getting the kitchen in working order. I did need assistance when putting in the new dual oven and stove. I'd been living out of home since I was nineteen and I liked to think I was a semi-decent cook. I had no problems following a recipe, liked experimenting with flavours, and was always keen to try new things. By the Friday evening, the kitchen and dining room was nearly finished. Sure, it probably looked more like a showroom kitchen than one used on a daily basis, and money had been no object regarding all the whitegoods, plus I'd splurged on crockery and utensils. Probably a waste of money, considering I lived alone, but it was nice to fill all the new cabinets.

Putting a note on the front door for people to use the side gate, I was busy prepping the grill when the first visitors appeared. I had two small fridges outside ready for such occasions, one filled with soft drinks, juice and water for the kids, and another filled with drinks for adults. I felt a little self-conscious being surrounded by so many women, most who I knew were single, but the kids had a blast as soon as they found themselves in the water. The pool was large so there was plenty of space for them to muck around.

"I know four of us spoke to Laura," Sally whispered as she handed me a beer, "Not sure she'll come though. I made sure her kids heard though."

"Oof, she'll probably hate me even more, thinking I sent you."

"She could do with an afternoon out of that damned house."

I wasn't expecting her to come so I didn't give her another thought. By lunchtime, I had the grill firing, cooking up plenty of burger patties, sausages, rissoles, kebabs and ribs. The women of the street helped me out by bringing finger food, bowls of salad and pastries. I was in the middle of dishing up a plate of burgers, the rolls and trimmings already on the long picnic table, when a woman and three children appeared through the side gate.

Wiping my hands on my apron, I somewhat carefully approached them. I figured introducing myself to the kids would be safest. The little girl recognised me as I got down on a knee. "Well, hello. Who are you?"

"I'm Emily."

"Hello, Emily. I'm Chris. Nice to meet you." I took her hand and she giggled. I also recognised the absolute silence behind me. "And who's this little man next to you, Emily?"

He was rather shy, hiding behind his sister. I guessed he was younger due to the size difference. "This is Mark. He's three." Well, according to Emily, he was 'free', but I understood. "I'm five. I go to school now."

"Well, that's good to know, Emily. Hello, little guy. I'm Chris."

He was blushing, but when I offered my hand, his little one found itself in mine. "Hello," he whispered. Definitely shy.

"You guys want some food? There's plenty on the table. If that's okay with your Mummy?" Only then did I dare look up, thankful her eyes were behind sunglasses. I figured there was a hate-filled glare still, but at least the kids could have a fun afternoon.

"Don't eat too much, you two," Laura said.

A few of the other kids came up, seeming to be friends with both Emily and Mark, and they disappeared with them. Laura approached me and it took all my willpower not to take at least one step back. She definitely looked me up and down. "Thanks," she muttered.

"You're welcome," I managed to reply without resorting to sarcasm.

"This is my youngest, Katie."

I smiled before saying, "Grab yourself a bite to eat, make yourself at home. If you need the bathroom, it's inside, down the hall. It's being refurbished."

"Don't plan on staying too long. Long enough the kids can have fun."

"Fair enough."

I made sure I stayed at the other end of the table once all the meat had been cooked. I'll admit, she did intrigue me, and I was interested in her story. Anyone would be after what Sally told me. Humans are naturally curious. Despite the attitude, she was attractive, and as a man, when you find someone attractive but with an attitude, there's almost that desire to try and win them over. She didn't know me from Adam, and I had a feeling she didn't want to know me anyway. I assumed this would probably the only time I'd see her in a social situation, though I'd already told Sally there would be an open invitation for their kids to use my pool, though only with adult supervision.

No surprise the kids barely ate before ending up in the pool, noticing Emily was capable of swimming in the shallow end, with little things around her arms to keep her afloat, though Mark sat on the edge and dipped his legs. I was eagle-eyed, aware it was my pool, and the last thing I wanted was an accident the very first time I invited everyone around. I was also feeling rather hot having spent a couple of hours by the grill, so eventually headed inside to change into my swimming shorts, grabbing a towel, heading outside.

Conversation stopped at my appearance. I was no swimwear model. I stood around six foot. No idea about my weight, but I was twenty-eight so I had ten years of keeping fit behind me. I didn't have washboard abs or massive pecs, but I did have definition on my slightly hairy chest and down my arms. And I'd certainly earned a tan recently as I spent plenty of time outdoors in the sun.

Smiling awkwardly, I headed towards the pool and joined all the kids. They were all very friendly, many of them thanking me for the pool. I was soon gently launching them into dives and bombs, shrieks of laughter filling the air. And that just led to a few of the mothers joining us. Noticing Mark being rather left out, I swam towards him. "Want to swim?" I asked.

"I don't know how."

I turned around. "Wrap your arms around my neck," I said. Once he wasn't actually choking me, I took him out into the middle. Glancing back, I said, "Deep breath, hold it, and close your eyes."

I did the same thing as an example then dunked us both. Rising out of the water, the first sound was his laughter. "Do it again!"

So I did it again. I must have done that for five minutes before I moved him off my back, holding him in my hands in front of me. "Kick your feet, move your arms," I suggested, showing him how to do it.

"Wait, I'll get him some floaters," Sally said.

A couple of minutes later, he had the same things on his arms as his sister, ensuring he was at the shallow end. He was having a ball, keeping an eye on him, though his sister and the other kids were doing the job for us. So I swam away, just relaxing and enjoying the cold water. I didn't dare glance at Laura, who I could see sat at the table with a few others. I was already assuming she was going to chew me out about something later.

UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,348 Followers