The Good Neighbour

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Bullshit. People like you don't just help without wanting something in return."

"People like me? You don't know me, Laura."

"I don't need to know you. You're all the fucking same."

I laughed at her. "Jesus Christ, what the fuck is your problem?"

"My problem is I don't need strange men appearing at my house trying to help when I didn't fucking ask for it."

I stepped forward and noticed the momentary fear in her eyes. "Maybe it's because you've got a stick so far up your fucking arse, you're incapable of asking for help, and when someone does something for you simply because they want to, all you can do is then berate and fucking complain about it and then wonder why you're fucking alone!"

She slapped me for that. Part of me did think I deserved it. "You fucking bastard!" she spat. What I didn't expect next was for her to burst into tears. "You have no idea what I've been through..."

She suddenly seemed very small before me, hugging herself, unable to meet my eyes. I stepped towards her, guiding her with a hand on her back towards the couch. To my surprise, she sat down while I quickly disappeared. Two minutes later, I returned in a polo shirt and shorts. She hadn't moved an inch. Heading to the kitchen, I made a couple of coffees, put the mugs on a tray, a pot of milk, some sugar, a few biscuits, carrying it into the living room, I sat down next to her, pulling the table closer.

"How do you take it?"

She sniffed a couple of times, wiping her cheeks with the back of her hand. I found tissues in the bathroom and handed her the box. "Two sugars. Black," she finally replied.

I placed two sugars in her mug. I did the same with mine but added a dash of milk. I stirred her first then mine. Leaving them there, I turned towards her. "Let's start again." I offered my hand. "I'm Chris. Pleased to meet you."

She looked up and met my eyes. The one word that crossed my mind was broken. But she took my hand. "Laura," she said quietly.

"I'm new to the neighbourhood. I'm sure you've seen me about helping people. I've been fortunate in my life to be in the position I am. Ever seen that movie 'Pay It Forward'? Bit of a tear-jerker... Actually, it was overly sentimental tosh, but I liked the message. So I'm being a good neighbour and doing that more than once." I took a sip of my coffee. "I have no idea what I've done to piss you off so much. I mean, our first meeting was interesting, to say the least. Only seen you once or twice since then, when you came to the pool party. Haven't seen your kids around here since. I know Emily would love to come swim again. She's bloody adorable though, see her around all the time, quite the little chatterbox. Mark's a delightful little boy too. I don't know you at all, Laura. You don't know me. But you seem to have made a judgement on who I am without even giving me a chance. No idea what's happened to you before. I'm sorry if someone hurt you, or people hurt you. Life is cruel that way. In fact, having spoken to all our neighbours, life can almost be intolerable at times."

She leaned forward to take the mug, watching her sip at her coffee a few times. "Good coffee," she said.

"I treat myself to certain things. I love good coffee."

"I don't trust you."

"Fair enough."

"I don't particularly like you either."

"But you don't know me. I'd like to get to know you."

That earned a look. "Why?"

"Well, despite the attitude, I think you're quite attractive to start with."

"So you just want to fuck me? Is that it?"

I groaned. "No. I said I want to get to know you, not that I just wanted to get under your skirt."

The walls went up again as she stood up and walked to the door. I guess I'd said the wrong thing. Wasn't the first time I'd done that. "I don't want anything from you, Chris."

"Didn't think you did nor have I insinuated you wanted a thing in return. But I'll be around tomorrow morning to finish off your back yard though. I'm sure I'll get the same welcome as always."

She glared at me, practically stomped her foot, before she walked out my front door. I sat content with life, smiling to myself, finishing both our coffees. I hadn't missed the fact she'd put perfume on. She'd smelled absolutely delightful. And she would have only done that for a reason.

I finished the mowing by late morning on the Sunday. Whether Laura had seen me come or go, I wasn't aware, but I hadn't seen her come outside. Both Emily and Mark watched me from the window, and this time, they watched me nearly the entire time. Every time I had the mower heading back towards the house, they'd wave at me. I'd wave back immediately, of course.

There was still more work to be done, but it was Sunday, it was hot, and I wanted to relax. I'd sent the entire street an invite to come chill out by the pool for the afternoon, something I knew both adults and kids would appreciate. I always kept the fridges stocked with drinks, and could easily throw some snacks into the oven or onto the barbecue if it was necessary.

Knocking on Laura's front door, I wasn't expecting her to answer, but to my slight surprise, she did. Now, due to my business, I was used to negotiation and, when in the boardroom, I'd learned to take no prisoners. I tell it how it is and that's it. Was always funny out-arguing someone with twenty years more experience. I hated bullshit.

"Laura, you might want to be a miserable so-and-so, but that doesn't mean your kids need to be miserable as well. At 1pm, I expect you and the kids at my place with everyone else. If you're not at my place by 1:30pm, I'll be knocking again and making sure your kids at least come and have some fun." I turned to walk away, taking about three steps before glancing back. "Make sure you're wearing a swimsuit so you can join everyone in the pool, at least for a few minutes. Shit, it might actually put half a fucking smile on your face for a few minutes."

Didn't hear a response nor hear her close the door as I practically marched home. I got everything ready and most people had started to arrive by around twelve thirty. I kept an eye on my watch and was rather surprised that Laura appeared with the kids ten minutes before I told her to arrive. Emily ran straight towards me, seeing more than one amused glance as I picked her up, holding her in my left arm, her arms loosely around my neck.

"Well, how are you, kiddo?"

"Are you going to keep working around our house?"

"Well, I might, but I think Mummy will eventually tell me to go away. Now, I got very warm doing all that mowing. How about a swim?"

"Let me get my floaters!"

Mark tugged at my shorts, wanting to be picked up too. While Emily disappeared, I picked him up and, when he hugged me, I saw more than a few smiles in my direction. "You want a swim too, little guy?"

"Yeah!"

"Get your things and you can join the rest of us in the pool."

Sally and Sofi were in the kitchen, taking over what I'd been preparing. Both of them grinned at my arrival. Didn't say anything to me, though their faces suggested plenty. Shooing me away, I joined most of the kids and a couple of adults in the pool. What did the kids want? They wanted launching! Must have done that for half an hour before snacks were served. The kids barely ate a thing, enjoying the cool water far too much. I eventually joined the adults at the table. Laura again stayed far away, but at least seemed friendly with some of the others.

What did catch my attention was when she stood up and removed her shirt and shorts to reveal a black bikini. And she was utterly stunning. Never would have believed for a second she'd carried three kids. Okay, maybe a few light stretch marks, but things like that didn't bother me. She didn't have the biggest bust but she had a fantastic arse. I know I gazed for a while. No, I didn't just gaze. I definitely stared.

Thankfully, she didn't notice as she slid into the pool. "Earth to Chris," Sally said next to me.

"Huh?"

"Shame she seems to hate your guts," Rebecca stated, though the smirk on her face suggested otherwise for some reason.

"Yeah, still don't know why about that either."

"Don't worry, we have a plan to leave you alone with her," Sofi said, "Trust us."

I wasn't bothered either way. I didn't join Laura in the pool, waiting until she got out before I took another dip. Slowly but surely, mothers and kids dried off, thanked me for the invite, and disappeared. Emily and Mark were rather involved with keeping me occupied, and by around 5pm, they were the only two left in the pool.

Lifting them up to sit on the edge, I floated in front of them. "Now, kids, I'm thinking that it's Sunday night, and no-one really wants to cook dinner on a Sunday. So how would you like a treat?"

"Like what, Chris?" Emily asked.

"Well, I'm not sure what Mummy will think, though..." I glanced at her, watching me with a neutral expression, "I'm thinking of...Hmmm... What do young children like to eat? How about... A bowl of steamed vegetables?"

"Ugh, noooo!" Emily cried. Mark just pulled a face that he didn't like that idea at all.

"Hmmm. I don't know... Do you want something I cooked?" They shook their heads. Didn't blame them, to be honest. "Do you want something delivered?" Both of them smiled and nodded. "Ah, I know your game. You want takeaway, don't you?"

"McDonalds!" Emily exclaimed.

"Well, I just happen to know that I have enough money to buy you McDonald's. Do you think Mummy will want McDonald's too?" Both of them nodded eagerly. "Okay, so I'm thinking... Happy Meals for you two. Cheeseburgers?" Nodded heads. "Fries?" Nodded heads. "And thickshakes?"

"Yay!" they exclaimed together.

"So that's your dinner. What about Mummy? What does she like?"

I leaned closer. "She likes the big burger," Emily whispered.

"You mean a Big Mac?" Emily nodded, her brother copying her. "With fries and a drink? Maybe Mummy will want a thickshake too?"

"And ice cream!" Mark cried.

"Oh, I've got ice cream in the freezer. Go take a look." They both sprinted into my house. They figured out my fridge rather quickly. "Third drawer down!" I called.

Excited screams followed around ten seconds later, both of them appearing at the sliding door. "Mummy, he has a drawer full of ice cream! Can we stay for ice cream?"

Laura didn't stand a chance now. She glared at me before sighing in defeat. "Fine. We can stay for dinner."

Grabbing my phone, I put an order through on the app, buying myself some dinner and adding a couple of things. Picking up the kids, one in each arm, I glanced at Laura. "Come inside, take a seat. House has central air so it's always cool."

I thought she was going to say no, but she put on her shirt and shorts and followed me inside with Katie. Placing the kids down on the floor, I flicked on the TV and put on some cartoons. Laura sat on the same couch as me but as far away as possible. She watched the kids but never looked at me. Katie was busy crawling around at the same time, I think on the verge of walking and talking.

We sat in silence until the food arrived. The kids were ever so excited. I asked if it was okay for Katie to at least nibble on some fries, Laura nodding. I handed her a meal, and was surprised she whispered, "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

I'd bought some nuggets as well, giving Emily and Mark a couple, putting the box between Laura and I. We ate in silence again, this time a rather comfortable silence. "Kids, no ice cream if you don't finish your food," Laura said. I glanced at her in surprise, "Remember to thank Chris when you're finished."

They were not going to miss out on ice cream. Thankfully, they didn't wolf it down so they shouldn't be sick later, but as soon as that last morsel of food was done, they were up and ready for dessert. Laura asked them to wait until we'd finished our food first. Once we were, I followed them into the kitchen, opening the drawer, asking them to choose whatever they wanted. "Laura?" I asked, poking my head around the corner, "You want some too?" Her head was down, fidgeting a little bit. I was left thinking she was nervous or uncomfortable. "You want to go home?"

"No. I want to stay."

"You want some ice cream?"

"Chocolate, please."

"Okay, bowl of choccy ice cream, coming up. Emily?"

"Chocolate!"

"Figured. Mark, chocolate too?" Of course, he nodded, so I served up four bowls of ice cream. I didn't have any for Katie. I didn't want stains on my new carpet just yet. The kids ate at the low table again, giving them napkins and wet wipes to keep their faces and hands relatively clean. Laura nursed hers, sitting Katie on her lap and giving her a couple of small spoonful's.

Once finished, I placed the bowls and spoons in the dishwasher, everything else in the trash. Mark had eaten a lot and was now lying on the couch, resting his head on his mother's lap. I picked up Emily and placed her on my knee. "Full?"

"I'm going to burst!"

"Good. Glad you had fun today."

"Thank you, Chris," she said ever so sweetly.

"You're welcome, munchkin."

She moved so she was settled across my lap, resting her little body against mine. Laura noticed, and for the briefest of moments, I saw her eyes soften. "Emily, can I ask a personal question?" I felt her tiny head nod against mine. "Does Mummy smile?"

Laura looked at me in surprise. I was expecting anger or for her to storm out. "Mummy is sad," Emily said softly, "I hear her crying sometimes."

The one thing I'd learned about kids is that they could be brutally but unfailingly honest. "I'm sad to hear that, Emily. Why does Mummy cry?"

"Mummy is hurt, Chris. Bad men hurt her. That's why she's always sad."

I glanced at Laura again, now not willing to look in our direction, stroking her son's hair. Katie was now fast asleep in her stroller. "I don't like hearing that, Emily. That's not very nice. Do you hug Mummy when she's sad?"

"All the time."

"Good."

"Do you hug your Mummy, Chris?"

"Of course. Whenever I see her. Nothing better than a Mummy hug."

"What about your Daddy?"

"Eh, sometimes. We're men. We usually shake hands but I sometimes need a Dad hug too."

She went quiet for a few seconds. The next question was a kick in the guts I didn't expect. "Do you want to be a daddy?"

She didn't know. Laura certainly didn't. No-one knew. Not even my parents. I shuffled and cleared my throat. That's when Laura looked in my direction, noticing my discomfort. I didn't know how to reply. She was five years old, wouldn't understand, didn't need my burdens on her. Nor did Laura. "That's a story for another time, sweetheart."

I looked anywhere but down at her nor at Laura. Far too many buried emotions started to flood back. Just Emily being on my lap was now too much. She hated me, but must have noticed something amiss. "Thank you for dinner, Chris. But I think we should go home."

I cleared my throat. "Sure, sure. I'll help."

"You don't..."

"Laura, I want to."

She considered me for a few seconds. "Okay."

Emily didn't want to walk, so I happily carried her down the street to her house, Mark and Katie in the dual stroller. I was surprised Laura allowed me inside her house. I didn't gawk too much but did have a look around. Obvious signs that three young children lived there, but there were touches that I'd call feminine at the same time. Some nice pieces of art on the walls. She put Katie down in her crib, as she was completely out of it, before placing Mark in his bed. I carried Emily to her room. She quickly got changed and under her covers, holding her arms wide for a cuddle. Turning out the light, she had a night light to provide some illumination.

"Will we see you soon?" she asked, hearing how tired she now was.

"Of course, munchkin. I'm not far away."

I stayed on a knee, just about able to see her in the darkness. I heard her yawn a couple of times. "Chris?"

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"I wish you were our daddy."

I'm glad it was dark, otherwise she would have witnessed a grown man on the verge of crying quietly to himself. I kissed her cheek and carefully walked out, shutting the door slightly so light still shone through. Wiping my eyes, I walked back through the living room, Laura sitting on the couch, already nursing a glass of wine. Glancing her way, I nodded before just walking towards the door. I heard her get to her feet.

"Wait," she said softly. I stopped and waited as asked, "I know it's none of my business, but that question my daughter asked... What she just said... It got to you..."

I couldn't help the sigh. "You know nothing about me, Laura. Still doesn't explain why you hate my guts. You know my name, where I live, and I guess bits and pieces you've learned from the girls. I'm twenty-eight years old. Five years ago, I was engaged to be married. Honestly thought she was the love of my life. We had plans for the future. Big house. Kids. Two cars in the garage. You know, the idyllic life. I was twenty-three at the time, she was twenty-two. I was doing well for myself. She was content studying.

Anyway, she announces that she's pregnant. I'm over the moon. Not sure about a lot of blokes out there, but I've always wanted to be a father. Like my old man in many ways. When she told me, I'm delighted. Excited. Can't wait to see our child born.

Within a month, she comes home and says she's had a miscarriage. I'm devastated. She's neutral. I figure that's a natural reaction. Grief takes shape in many forms. But while I'm devastated for weeks, within what feels like a fortnight, she's over it and just getting on with life. Something just didn't feel right about that. My mother had at least two before she had my sister. It's not something easily gotten over unless you never wanted it in the first place."

I turned around and finally met her eyes. "It wasn't?" she asked softly.

I took out my phone and sat down on the couch. She sat away from me, but close enough to hear. "She went out for dinner with friends around a month later. Thankfully, I have good friends, or I did at the time, and they seemed to know already."

I played the recording. My fiancée admitted that she'd gone straight for an abortion and that she lied to me about it. She confessed to not wanting children at all. If she fell pregnant again, she'd claim another miscarriage by getting another abortion. Her ultimate aim was to marry me, enjoy all the benefits I could give her, before attempting to take me to the cleaners within a few short years.

"My friend sent me the recording that same night. I was waiting for her at home the next morning. I played it for her, took back my engagement ring, and kicked her out of the apartment. I haven't seen nor spoken to her since that day. I'm all about freedom of choice, but I will not be lied to in such a manner. If she didn't want a child at that time, at least allow me a conversation, or allow me to break-up and find someone willing to start a family with me. But it was the barefaced lie then everything else on top of it."

"How old..."

I glanced at the hallway. "Our child, whether a son or daughter, would be between four to five years old now. I was hoping for a daughter first." I ran my fingers through my hair. "It doesn't end there though. Oh no, I've been played for a fool more than once. It's the whole reason I've ended up here. The last girlfriend I was with. I was contemplating proposing. I was older, a little wiser, certainly more careful in choosing a partner. But I still had the wool pulled over my eyes. Thought we had something special. What I learned is that I was one of half a dozen men warming her bed from time to time. Four of us figured it out and confronted her. Absolutely no guilt whatsoever from her. Cake and eat it sort of thing. Once through with her, I'll admit, I was a little done with relationships in general, and I needed to get away from the area. I needed to come home." I think I surprised her by chuckling. "I've never told a soul about any of that. Not my friends. Not the girls around here. Not even my parents know why I dumped Samantha despite being engaged, and why Megan disappeared from my life."