The Gray Man Ch. 01 - Nadiya

Story Info
A veteran finds a new career path.
11.3k words
4.75
31.3k
66
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dear Reader,

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, events and incidents are the products of the author's imagination.

Constructive criticism, and feedback is truly appreciated. I would like this to be an interactive journey as much as this medium allows. Please feel free to send suggestions, ideas for future characters etc. I welcome the input.

I hope you enjoy these adventures as much as you enjoyed Sean - no worries, Sean will be back. I just need some time to explore some other areas of my darkness.

Also, if you'd like a character to inquire about Gray's services send me a description and we can work from there.

Keep Soaring,

Pelican

(¬‿¬)

Thomas Patrick James the 3rd was spiraling and he knew it. The pandemic had destroyed his start up company dreams, drained all of his savings and left him in a pissed off mood. It was also Thanksgiving and time for the big family gathering. After the places he had been, the things he had seen and done, TJ hated big crowds, even if it was family.

Let's give you a little more background on Thomas James or TJ as he was known to his family to distinguish him from Tom, his dad and Thomas his grandfather. TJ joined the Army fresh out of high school and made his way to Ranger School. When he graduated from Ranger School he qualified for the 75th Ranger Regiment and was assigned to Second Battalion headquartered at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington.

Later in his career he tested for and joined the Regimental Reconnaissance Company (Task Force Red) under the command of USSOC (United States Special Operations Command) which was headquartered in Ft. Benning, Georgia - even though he was rarely there due to numerous deployments.

TJ became damn good at his job. Task Force Red's missional purpose is to gather intelligence on the ground. Clandestine operations take a very special type of person and TJ James was one of the best out of an elite group who were already the best of the best. Over the course of his career TJ James earned the nickname, "Gray" because he would blend in almost anywhere and could disappear into a crowd without a trace.

Back to the Thanksgiving gathering, retired Army Sergeant TJ James sat around his parents house with his family. TJ was an only child, however his mother came from a huge family - that meant lots of Aunts and Uncles, lots of cousins. As the evening wore on TJ was feeling a familiar tingle at the base of his neck that he had learned to recognize as the beginning of one of the gifts he had leftover from his many deployments. The tingle would grow into a buzz deep in his brain and he would go into a state of hyper awareness. Watching every door and window, sorting through every sound trying to identify threats. As with most large family gatherings around the holidays the house became too hot, the cacophony of noise too much, the chaos of kids almost overwhelming.

TJ slipped out into the darkness to escape the feelings growing inside of his body. TJ was good, but this time he didn't slip off without a trace as his cousin watched him quietly slip into the night. Gretchen grabbed her coat and followed her cousin to the deck.

"Whatcha doin Teej?" she asked quietly.

TJ smiled, and nodded his head towards the house "Just needed some fresh air. Things are a little overwhelming in there."

Gretchen gently rubbed her cousin's arm, "Are you okay?" Gretchen and TJ were the closest of all of the cousins. They were more like brother and sister born only 21 days apart. While TJ headed straight to the military Gretchen pursued her passion, college, Georgetown Law and was now a partner in a pretty prestigious DC Law Firm.

TJ looked at his cousin and shrugged, "Depends on your definition of okay, cuz. The fucking pandemic derailed my dreams before they got off the ground, I'm too old for the Army to let go back and do what I love. I see all of the kids in the room and here I am the bachelor at 38. Just not sure what the fuck I'm going to do with my world."

Gretchen was the only one in the family that ever even had a sense that what TJ did in the Army was more than just regular army stuff. She was an attorney and a damn good one, she listened to not only what was said but more importantly to what wasn't said. "So, what is it exactly that you love?"

TJ looked up to the stars. It was cold, cold enough for Gretchen to feel the cold even in her North Face jacket, while TJ was in a pair of chino pants and a long sleeve shirt. Finally he turned to look at his cousin, "I was good at being a ghost. I found the right people at the right time. I followed their every movement and learned their biggest secrets."

Gretchen sipped her coffee, "Like Uncle Bob?"

TJ smiled, "Sort of, yeah. A more modern version, but very similar." Their Uncle had been a LRRP, (Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol) in Vietnam.

Gretchen simply sipped her coffee and let out a knowing, "Mmmmm" before looking at her cousin, "I need to get inside but I have a question first. If I could find work for you would you see it as charity or truly someone who cares about putting you in the right place with the right people?"

TJ looked at his cousin, "I guess it depends on the job."

She smiled, "Fair enough. I'm not heading back to DC until Sunday, let me see what I can work out." She stood on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek, "It's good to have you home Teej."

Gray woke up early on 'Black Friday' to go for a cold run along the lake. Before the run he opened his notebook, a notebook he used to keep notes, sketch maps, and keep his mind on the mission. TJ flipped through area sketches that he had made around the family cabin. He had learned long ago that while it's important to know the route to enter an area, it was more important to know his routes of egress and he always had more than one of those.

Some people would begin their day reading Scripture, or meditating - TJ started his referring back to a list he kept that he started after an episode of NCIS where Gibb's Rules were mentioned. Over the years he had gathered, composed, and edited that list. They seemed natural when he was outside the wire deep in bad guy land. In the civilian world he found himself slipping into careless habits.

Every morning he looked over his list, trying to remember the practices that had kept him alive for a lot of years. He called them TJ's Truths. He would try to focus on one truth, he would recite it in his head as he ran, he would write it at the top of his notes for the day. Today's rule was: "Own your own darkness before it owns you."

He recited that to himself almost like a military cadence as he took off on a cold, rainy run along the shores of the lake. The 40 degree temperatures and the mist was perfect weather as far as Gray was concerned. From his time in Washington state. He ran the 5 mile circumference of the lake like it was nothing.

When he walked onto the deck of the house Gretchen handed him a cup of coffee. She glanced at his "ranger panty" silky shorts and T-shirt plastered to his body. "How in the hell do you run with that THING in your shorts?"

Gray blushed slightly. He had heard so many comments about that THING in his life, even a comment from his cousin didn't phase him, "You get used to it," he commented as he opened the door and headed into the house.

"How the fuck would anyone get used to that?" Gretchen murmured as she sipped her coffee. The image of the thing burned into her brain. The thing was a true specimen on its own. 8 inches long and thick when hard, a full 6 inches soft as it coiled down his leg. A sly smile came to her face as she pondered a job for her cousin.

The family time together during the weekend was a bit much for Gray. There was just a bit too much of everything. Too much food, too much noise, too much chaos, too much laughter. By Saturday night the demons of his PTSD were fighting with one another in his brain to see who would get to strike next.

For his own sanity he retreated to the back yard and built a fire in the firepit. Again, it didn't take long for Gretchen to find him as he sat with his glass of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bourbon. She wandered out to the fire and pulled up a chair as the wood crackled and hissed.

"So, I've been thinking about a job and I have some questions," she posed after a sip from her wine glass.

Gray looked across the fire, "Ask away, I guess," he said quietly.

His cousin looked at him, "So you are good at being a ghost, what does that mean exactly in terms I could understand?"

TJ pondered the question a moment, "My job was to infiltrate, observe, gather intel, collect data, and most of the time to get out without anyone ever knowing I was there. Sometimes that meant days in a hole with equipment and simple binoculars. Other times it was to move into a city and blend in."

Gretchen looked at him, "Did you ever have to kill anyone?"

TJ looked at his cousin, "Next question."

Gray's cousin looked down, "Sorry, unfair question. Were you ever required to kidnap someone?"

TJ laughed, "Kidnap is a harsh phrase. I prefer to think of it as apprehending the bad guy or gal, but yes I did on occasion apprehend a person of interest."

The noise of a crowd started to descend on the two as Gretchen looked at her cousin, "Breakfast tomorrow before I head back. I'll text you later."

The time outside around the bonfire was a true gift to TJ. Outside of the confines of the house the laughter was actually fun, the cool night air much more freeing than the heated stuffiness of a house full of people, the noise wasn't even that overwhelming. He was quiet, but at peace for the first time during the weekend.

The next morning he was up by 6, showered and dressed when his cousin's text game, "8:30 - Toast" was all the text said.

TJ arrived at the local favorite by 8, had a seat and began to sip coffee when his cousin walked in. He stood as the two hugged before TJ sat back down, his back to a wall, his eyes taking in every movement in the restaurant. His cousin looked at him, finally his eyes stopped on her, "Sorry, some habits never die," he said.

The two ordered before Gretchen started to speak. "So, have you ever heard of Consensual Non Consent?"

TJ looked at his cousin, "Umm, what the hell is that?"

Gretchen smiled, "You do know 50 Shades, right?"

TJ laughed, "What, the poorly written bullshit books or the even worse movies?"

His cousin nodded, "Well, it seems that there are many women who have fantasies about being 'taken' - they don't really want to be abducted and raped, they just love the idea of feeling helpless."

TJ's brow furrowed, "Okay, I'm not sure I'm tracking here."

Gretchen laughed, "Just hear me out. Many of these women are successful, career women who run huge companies or government agencies. Some would even pay to have this fantasy fulfilled."

TJ sat his coffee cup down and looked at the pretty strawberry blonde, "What does this have to do with a job?"

Gretchen chuckled, "So, you were trained to slip in and slip away, to infiltrate and do a job then leave. What if you were the one that satisfied all of those fantasies. They pay, you slip in and do what they need and slip away. Forgive my incestual boldness but with a cock like that they would remember you forever."

TJ shook his head, "Then I end up in prison for rape? You've lost your mind Gretch."

Gretchen laughed, "That's just it, I set it up, we set up a PO Box, a fake email. I send perfectly binding legal documents that they have to sign. Waivers, Hold Harmless etc. They pay, you do what you love, you get laid, they get their fantasy fulfilled, you get paid."

TJ laughed, "What did grandpa always say, "If it feels too fucking good to be true, it is..."

Both of Thomas' grandchildren said, "RUN" in unison. Gretchen continued, "A couple of adult personal sites, we start in the metro DC area and see what happens."

TJ looked at his cousin, "Sounds good, but I put everything into the startup. I can't afford DC Gretchen."

The tall strawberry blonde laughed, "That's the other part. To start, my firm hires you as an investigator. It's part time work, but we have an apartment in town that we use when we have to bring in expert testimony folks. It's free for the next three months at least as all of the folks we currently need for trial are local. The partners are fine if I use it."

TJ sipped his coffee. "Until they find out about your rape fantasy side hustle."

Gretchen looked over her glasses at her cousin, "Are you as good as you claim to be?"

TJ nodded, "That's what they tell me."

She looked at him, "I know how good I am - so if you are that good, then nobody will ever know. Here, put this on."

TJ looked as his cousin pushed one of the balaclava style masks that were popular at the beginning of the pandemic. "Why?"

Gretchen shook her head, "Just do it, like you would wear it on a mission." TJ slipped the mask over his face, then pulled it up so it covered his nose and mouth. Gretchen continued, "Now, put your cap back on." TJ did and Gretchen took a picture with her phone, "There we go, now combine that with the picture I snuck when you got back from your run and I have a profile.

TJ finished his breakfast as Gretchen typed away on her laptop. When she turned the screen around he saw that she had created a profile. TJ looked at his cousin, "Isn't this just fancy prostitution and you've become my pimp?"

She smiled, "Is it? I prefer the term needs mediation - folks have a need and we mediate how to address their need. What do you think?"

TJ shook his head, "This may be the second most stupid plan I have ever been a part of."

Gretchen tilted her head, "What was the first?"

TJ laughed, "Nobody in the entire state of Michigan has high enough security clearance to hear about it. So, fuck it, let's do this."

Gretchen laughed, "It will take me a week to get things set up. I'll see you in DC next Sunday. You don't need to bring anything other than yourself. I'll have a ticket sent to your phone."

TJ looked at his cousin, "What do I do with my truck?"

Gretchen laughed, "Do you want to stand out or blend in?" TJ gave his cousin a look of disdain she hadn't seen from him since his first deployment which caused her to laugh."Listen cousin. The Toyota Hilux with the mounted 50 caliber in the back may have blended in somewhere in the Afghan-PakiGray mountains. In DC you'd look like a Blackwater operator or Merc wannabe. Trust me, I've been in town for a lot of years."

TJ shrugged even though he wasn't thrilled. In his time in country he often worked with Delta Company guys, SEALS, and even Company (CIA) handlers - he would have to learn to trust his cousin to be his handler to learn the lay of the land in the nation's capital. "Okay, I trust you. I hate leaving my truck, but I trust you."

Gretchen looked at him sheepishly, "So, do you have any ID contacts that could hook you up?"

TJ stated plainly, "I know people."

Gretchen smiled, "I was thinking if you can get an ID under the name TJ Gray, that would help in case someone started digging around."

TJ smiled, "Consider it done. I'll have it sent to your office to your attention."

Gretchen put her hand across the table, "Welcome to the team, cousin."

It didn't take much for TJ to travel to DC. He packed up his clothing, ended his lease on his apartment, put his furniture in a storage unit, left his truck in the garage at the families lake house, and got a car to take him to Detroit Metro Airport. He felt naked without his H&K P2000K. He had arranged for a suitable replacement to accompany his new identity to Gretchen's office.

Gretchen's firm had provided a first class ticket from DTW to DCA. He was seated in seat 1-A in the Bombardier CRJ-900 operated by Delta. He texted Gretchen when his plane landed and was informed that a driver was waiting for him at baggage claim.

TJ didn't need to claim baggage, everything he had was in a carryon. One of the things he had learned from his time with the Task Force was travel light. TJ headed to baggage claim, saw the driver holding the sign that read "GRAY" and headed his way.

The driver was more accustomed to driving Ms. Foster who was always impeccably dressed. TJ looked like a retired soldier, khaki tactical pants, an untucked polo shirt, and a jacket that was designed to conceal weapons.

To the driver TJ didn't look like anything special, which was one of the things that TJ had learned over the years, he was meant to be forgettable. 6'1", brown hair, always worn slightly messy. He had a runner's body, even in the winter months he had a bit of a tan from the miles he spent running. The only thing a trained eye would notice would have been his eyes. Pale green and active, always scanning his surrounding area.

Gray smiled at the driver, "We can go."

Perplexed, the driver said, "Your luggage?"

TJ smiled, "It's all right here."

The driver stifled a groan, "Yes, Sir. This way, Sir." Once inside the black Mercedes the driver looked over his shoulder, "The items you have requested from Ms. Foster are in the attaché case on the floor, Sir."

TJ pulled out an identical H&K pistol with an appendix carry and over the shoulder holster as well as his new ID which were a Virginia Driver's license, social security card, and Passport.

The driver stopped in front of a long row of apartments, a beautiful red brick. He retrieved TJ's luggage from the trunk, opened the rear door and led TJ up the stairs and opened the door to the townhouse

Gretchen was waiting inside, sitting on the leather sofa sipping on coffee. When TJ walked in he was blown away at the luxury, something he was not used to. He had learned to live simply and this townhouse, though small, was the definition of luxury. The thread count on the sheets was too high for TJ to even fathom.

Gretchen helped him unpack and shook her head as she hung up his clothes. First, we need to get you some good suits so that you can blend in with all of the young up and comers that love to mingle in the bars downtown.

TJ shook his head, 'I'm 38, I've had multiple combat deployments, I'm not a young up and comer."

His cousin laughed, "You are as young as you feel, you old fart."

TJ groaned, "That makes me 94 then." He paused, "Gretchen, are you sure this is a good idea?"

Her nose crinkled as she laughed, "One week Mr. James. The little ad has run for 1 week and I have 6, yes 6 applications that I've gotten from the post office box." She punched him playfully in the arm, "They say pimpin' ain't easy, but damn this is like stealing candy from a baby."

TJ sat on the bed, "You're fucking kidding me. So, here's my question - what do you get out of this little arrangement?"

Gretchen smiled, "Well," she paused, "I get to send an angel to help poor frustrated women in need."

TJ shook his head, "Bullshit. Try again."

She sat down beside her cousin, "Well, of course I'll take 20% of the fee as a handling fee."

TJ put his hand on her thigh, "10."

She put her hand on top of his, "15"

TJ groaned a playful groan, "Fine, 15. What else?"

She looked at him, "Well, maybe, perhaps, let's just say what if some of those women that want your services aren't single or aren't so innocent and maybe just maybe they have some things that I want or want access to. A little evidence to use against them could be persuasive."

TJ sighed, "Blackmail? Jesus H. Christ, once a lawyer..."

Gretchen laughed, "Guilty as charged, but dude you should see some of these women before you throw me out on my ear as a money grubbing whore. But that waits until tomorrow. Get settled in, get some sleep. I cleared my morning and I'm glad I did, we need to go suit shopping."

There was a knock on TJ's door at 8 AM on Monday morning. TJ opened the door to find his cousin, dressed in a fitted suit and heels. She was right, he felt very out of place in his khaki pants and untucked shirt. "Let's go, Tiger. Your car, you drive," she said as she tossed him a car fob. TJ missed the sound of jingling keys.