The Hand of Death Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I am not sure I can eat, Hiro sama"

"I did not spare your life so that your son could starve to death. Eat. Please."

She nodded and took the rice.

Shogun Li stayed on the porch with her most of the day while Grandfather and I went to

accomplish whatever task he assigned us. I'm not sure why he did that but he seemed to be more

comfortable on the porch than in the court room of the castle.

Before sundown it was reported that Yoshio was coming to see us from Shiro Yutaka. He had spent this whole day being flown by two onmyoji from location to location. The benefit was that he could be in many places in the same day where as more traditional methods would have taken over a week. He must have seen us from the air as he touched down in the court yard just in front of us. They had a simple corded harness to attach him to the two onmyoji. We all stepped off the porch to kneel before him, including Nihonto. Once he had finally become untangled from the wizards he returned our bows.

"Not the most dignified means of transport, eh Hiro san?"

"I think you are my Daimyo, Yoshio sama, and as such you may travel however you feel is appropriate." I smiled.

He laughed. "Yes. Now tell me what you honestly think, Hiro san? I can get flattery of that kind from anyone." I cocked my head a little and looked at him. "Alright, alright. I can get flattery close to that from anyone."

I smiled. "I think it was a wise choice for this situation. You had to be many places today and this was the most expedient method."

"Yes. There it is. Hiro is always thinking of tactical advantages." He said this last part to

Nihonto. "And tell me Hiro, what tactical advantage did you see in sparing this samurai-ko's life and that of her son?"

I looked at her a moment. "None my Daimyo. She was the only one in the castle to show any resistance to us and I felt she had earned the right to live."

He nodded as he approached her. He lifted her head with his left hand and looked at her. Hair, disheveled. Eyes, red from crying. No makeup. No perfume and she needed a bath. Not counting the border fight we had three men wounded on the peninsula that night and only four dead. The four dead were solely by her hand. She was beautiful.

He nodded his approval. "It would have been our loss for us to have killed you, Nihonto san."

She mustered the courage to ask, "What is your wish... my Daimyo?"

He thought on that for several moments. "First, I must bear more bad news for you. Gomen nasai... Your husband, Gunso Wajima Sauroko..." She hung her head a little. "...did not survive the battle at the border." She nodded. "Gomen nasai, Nihonto san."

She looked incredulous. "You are sorry!? If you were sorry then why would you destroy us like this!? You have murdered us!"

He spat back, "This is my fault?!" She looked defiantly at him. "YOUR Daimyo, took

advantage of my father's offer. Your lands had been storm ravaged and you needed help to compensate for the loss. So he let you use our territory to increase your harvest. Years later when he was weak you continued to use it because he was old and had more pressing matters on his plate. Then when my sister asked you to stop, you pretended to listen but continued. Then when I came along a few months later you still continued to take advantage! Admittedly, I helped encourage you with my pretending to be weak, but you could have withdrawn at any time and you - did - not! For years, you took. And took. And took! And now it is my fault."

She said nothing as the realization sank in. Yoshio continued in a slightly kinder voice, "There is no world in which the rabbit may take from the wolf, Nihonto san. ...I am sorry."

The poor girl was trying very hard not to cry as she looked at the ground.

"What is your wish, my Daimyo?"

He watched her for a moment. "Bring me your son."

She looked concerned but she went and retrieved her boy. Yoshio looked at the child and

stroked his head. The child woke up and began to look around sleepily, probably wondering who would dare disturb his nap.

"My wish, is for you to come with me to Shiro no Shotoku... for you to name this child Shotoku Wajima... and for you to get some rest."

She nodded her consent. Yoshio called over some servants who had been watching the

exchange and had them escort her to the Lord's chambers and to see after her needs while she was there.

Yoshio motioned us all back to the porch which apparently had become his court as well. He discussed logistics with Shogun Li and other matters as they pertained to Sensei and me or any of the other commanders under Li. Once everything was settled I requested a private walk with him. The castle had respectable gardens so we strolled through them.

"I do not wish to overstep my station, Yoshio sama."

He nodded. "Last night was difficult for everyone Hiro. Say what you need to say."

I nodded. "Was all of this blood necessary?"

He thought on that. "...Yes. I could have let it drag on and made typical maneuvers and been 'honorable' as most would want but the truth is that the body count would have been higher. The cost would have been higher and our enemies would have thought the Shotoku and the Koga were not who they used to be. This way it was brutal but it is done. And now everyone remembers why you do not steal from the Koga House." He looked at me. "Do you understand, Hiro san?"

I nodded. "It was very unpleasant."

It was his turn to nod "It was for me as well... I expected it to feel more rewarding than this."

12