All Comments on 'The Harvest'

by shyspud

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
SomethingInTheWaySheMovesSomethingInTheWaySheMovesabout 10 years ago
Your writing style makes it difficult to enjoy the story.

Way too many "...", just for starters. Incomplete sentences and sentence fragments, with that pesky "dot-dot-dot" tossed in WAAAAAY too often.

As I commented to another writer yesterday, any gimmick you use should be used sparingly. Think of it as being like a spice you're using while cooking. A little can help, but too much can ruin the dish. And after trudging through half the first page, I'd decided "this dish" was not to my taste. Since this seems to be a first effort, you can chalk it up to inexperience, but I'd suggest you cut back on the "gimmicks" if you decide to write more.

nightshadownightshadowabout 10 years ago
Trailing thoughts....

The story was good, but you would have been well served by an editor who could clean up all of those trailong thoughts, dialogue and sentences.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Wow!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Shy: I enjoyed your story. Couple of things:

“Till” is what a farmer does to his field using a disker or a harrow weeder. The word you need to use is “‘til,” a contraction of “until.”

Also, you had some trouble with “it’s.” There are two uses: it’s and its. It’s is a contraction of “it is.” If you can substitute “it is,” use it’s. “Its” is the possessive of it, as in the sentence, The dog licks its paw.

Finally, soon as possible, get into the habit of proofreading everything you write. And, I mean everything! Whether it’s a check, or a salutation on a greeting card, or a sentence you have just written—go back and read what you have written; is it correct? Any misspelled words? Is the punctuation correct?

Hope this helps. Rockahula

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous