The Havenwood Survivors

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He is beautiful," Gretchen whispered, stepping near Cody.

"Yes." His face grew hot. "What—? No. I mean—." He looked away from her. His face grew hotter.

"You remind me a lot of my son, Anthony." She reached up, running her thumb over some dirt on Cody's face just underneath his eye. "He was scared to tell me, but I knew. I always knew. He never told that boy— I don't remember his name. But that boy got bitten and he turned. Anthony still regrets never telling him."

"I doubt he likes men, let alone me."

Gretchen stared at him. Her brows raised in a way a mother would when she's listening to her child tell blatant lies. "I don't think you have to worry about that." Cody lowered his gaze. "You've loved him since before the turning?"

Cody chuckled softly. "Actually, no. I mean, I did find him attractive and everything, but—." He looked at her. "I didn't like him. He was a bit of a pushover. He allowed people to bully him." Cody frowned. "He was honestly kinda pathetic."

"People change when they're forced to. He lives in a world in which he needs to be commanding, confident. Before he could've lived his entire life being a pathetic pushover, but not anymore. It would literally kill him."

Cody nodded faintly. "I want to tell him."

"Then tell him." Gretchen smiled. "You might be surprised by his response."

Cody merely shrugged. "I don't know."

Her smile disappeared slightly. "Why don't you sleep on it?" She ran a hand of hers over Cody's scalp. "You can tell him tomorrow."

"Yeah." Cody faked a yawn. "I'm tired anyways. Goodnight."

"Night." Gretchen frowned as she watched Cody walk off.

Cody folded his arms over his chest. His mind raced as he thought of Marshall.

The way his hair fell around his face and ears. The way his chest moved with every breath. The way his arms flexed whenever he carried something.

Cody felt himself harden in his jeans. The heat pooling into his stomach. He moaned softly. His erection rubbed against the somewhat rough fabric of his boxer briefs and his jeans.

He hurried past the crowd of people watching the movie until he reached an isolated spot behind a tree inside the motel sitting area. With everyone distracted by the movie, Cody didn't bother looking around as he unzipped the front of his jeans, holding himself in one of his hands. He braced his other arm on the tree.

He gently squeezed himself, moaning as he did. His mouth watered. His mind filled his vision with images of Marshall touching him, kissing him, bending him over and fucking him. Cody thrusted into his hand, tightening his grip around his erection.

"Fuck." He pressed his forehead against his arm. "M-Marshall." He squeezed himself again. "Fuck me, Marshall." He imagined Marshall gripping his hips, pulling himself back on his erection.

Cody rocked his hips, moaning and gasping for air. His heart raced in his chest. "Yes. Like that. Oh, fuck yes." His eyes rolled to the back of his head.

His erection grew harder in his hand. His entire body shuddered, spilling out onto his hand and the tree. Cody swallowed hard as he continued to shudder.

"He's gonna hate me if he finds out about this." He wiped his hand on the ground before he hid himself back in his jeans. He frowned at the thought of Marshall disliking him.

It wouldn't be the first time someone he loved hated him in return.

He frowned as his mind drifted to his parents and older brother.

"I shouldn't think about them after just masturbating." He rubbed his eyes with his clean hand.

It had been months since he last thought of them. Tears formed in his eyes. He missed them though he wasn't sure as to why. It wasn't as though they treated him like family.

Cody couldn't stop the tears from falling down his face. His legs wobbled with every step he took to his motel room. His legs finally gave out once he was safe in his room. He pressed his back against the door, pulling his knees against his chest. The last conversation he had with his father echoed through his mind.

The door opened slightly, hitting Cody in the back. Marshall stuck his head in the crack of the door.

"You okay?" Marshall asked.

Cody quickly wiped his eyes with his shirt sleeve. "I'm fine." He stood and walked more into the room.

Marshall opened the door, stepping inside and closing the door behind him. "You're not though."

Cody shook his head, sitting down on the edge of his bed. Marshall didn't hesitate sitting next to him.

"What's wrong?" Marshall asked.

Cody fell silent for a moment before he turned to Marshall. "I just thought of my family."

Marshall's face hardened. "Oh."

"I didn't see them for years, and then this happened. The last time I spoke to my family was ten years ago, when I told my parents that I was gay." Cody lowered his gaze. "My father said that he wished my mother aborted me." Marshall tensed as Cody heard him draw in a breath. "My mother wasn't really any better. She asked me if she could keep it under her hat." Cody rubbed his eyes. "I loved my parents, but their opinion of me changed that day, and my opinion of them changed as well." Cody shook his head slightly.

Marshall placed an arm around Cody's shoulder before pulling him against his chest. "I'm sorry about that."

"I moved out later that day. I haven't seen them since."

"Do you think they're still alive?"

Cody hesitated. "My brother, maybe, but I'm not sure about my parents. They're likely dead."

Marshall tightened his arm around Cody, setting his chin on Cody's head.

"I would like to think they're alive," Cody continued. "But I don't think that's very likely."

"Before this all started, I read an article saying that when we miss people who hurt us, it's not them that we miss, but rather we miss when we felt good with them. They once made you happy. You miss that, not them." Cody remained still. "Tomorrow's gonna be a bit of a busy day for us. You should get some sleep."

"Yeah." Marshall let go of Cody before they both stood and dressed for bed.

The next day went by quickly. Each household was given a new blanket. Cody smiled wide when he just so happened to be given the grey sherpa blanket that was brought back the day before.

Cody measured and cut the fabric, making them into simple tie blankets. With the extra fleece fabric in inventory, he was able to make an additional four blankets on top of what he anticipated with the help of Hailey, ending up with a total of thirteen blankets left in inventory.

"Thanks for the help, Hailey." He folded the final blanket, setting it on top of the pile of newly made blankets.

"Not a problem. I wanted to learn how to make these types of blankets."

"They're rather simple to make." He picked up half of the pile while Hailey took the other half, carrying them to the supply closet.

"I hear that you're going out today."

"Yeah. Marshall's taking me to the pharmacy. Shane was able to get that car Micah brought over to work. Hopefully we can find some more medicine there."

"Hopefully." Hailey nodded in agreement. "It would be nice."

Marshall stepped closer to them. "You ready?"

"Yeah," Cody said with a faint nod.

"Bye, guys," Hailey said as she walked off with a wave. They waved back at her.

"Here," Marshall said, handing Cody a hunting knife. "Richard's been getting on my ass about how much ammo we've been using when we go out. We need to conserve as much as we can until he can make more, so two guns to each group now."

"Oh, fun." Cody took the weapons. "Who else is with us?"

"Josh and Shane. Josh thought it would be safer if he came with us." Marshall started for the gate with Cody right behind him. "We're taking the car that Micah brought last night."

"That's good."

Josh and Shane were already waiting by the car. They got inside and waited as the guards on the wall scanned the surrounding area. One turned towards the others, giving them a thumbs up. Only then the gates were opened.

Marshall pulled the car forward before turning down a road. The pharmacy was over a four hour walk from their community, but with a working car, it would be only around twenty-five minute given the road conditions and them being cautious.

They crested over a hill. A person laid on the side of the road, barely hidden in the overgrown grass. The person's bright red gym bag stuck out from the green.

Marshall slowed down. "Stop or keep going?"

"He has a bag," Josh said. "That itself could be helpful."

Marshall stopped the car but didn't put it in park, glancing around at the sides of the road. The overgrown grass swayed slightly in the wind. He shifted the car into park. "Cody, stay in the car." Marshall and Josh stepped out of the car before they crept closer to the person.

Josh raised his gun as Marshall pulled out his knife. He hesitated for a moment before he kicked the person's foot. They both jumped back.

Nothing.

Cody sighed from relief. Marshall inched closer, raising his knife, but he stopped again.

"Nevermind," Marshall said, relaxing when he spotted the bullet wound in the dead man's left temple. "He's dead." Dirt and soil caked on the dead man's skin. "He's cold."

"He's been dead probably eight or so hours," Josh said. "It's been cold for the past few days."

Marshall grabbed the gym bag and pulled it off of the dead man. He examined the bag before frowning. "This pocket is torn." He stuffed his fingers through the torn fabric. He flipped it to examine the other side. "This zipper is broken."

"What's inside?" Josh asked.

Marshall unzipped the main pocket and looked inside. "Hoodie." He pulled out and handed Josh a dark blue hoodie. "Hoodie." An off white and faded green hoodie. "Hoodie. Why do you have so many hoodies?" Marshall glanced down at the dead person.

"He's dead," Josh said. "He's not gonna answer."

"But seriously. Three hoodies for one person?" Marshall looked back into the bag. "Playing cards. A lighter. Hammer. Half a roll of duct tape." He frowned. "That's it."

Josh kneeled beside the dead man, running his hand over the corpse. "A key." Josh pulled out the car key from the man's pocket.

"That's good. Maybe we'll find the abandoned car." Marshall lowered his gaze. "He's wearing a belt. Shoes are useless. They're being held together by duct tape. Not worth the trouble." Josh nodded as he removed the belt. "That's everything. Let's go before things change here."

Climbing into the car, they started back on their journey as Cody inspected their finds.

"This barely has any oil in it," Cody complained as he raised the lighter.

"It's a quarter full though," Josh said. "It's not gonna last long, but still."

Cody set the lighter back before placing the bag by his feet.

The grass and other greens were completely overgrown. The branches of trees outstretched over the road, scratching the roof and sides of the car when Marshall drove too close. Any car they passed was stripped of anything valuable. Rust had replaced the paint from the months of exposure to the rain, snow, and wind.

Marshall stopped the car, again not putting the car in park. He glanced around before continuing.

The buildings decayed from the lack of care over the past two years. Windows busted. Doors bashed in or completely removed. Glass, rubbish, and empty bullet casings riddled the street and sidewalk.

Marshall pulled in front of the pharmacy, turning off the car, before they all stepped out.

"There's another pharmacy down the road," Cody said, pointing at a half-fallen pharmacy sign down the road.

"We can certainly check that one too," Marshall said with a nod. "We just need to be quick about everything."

Josh stepped around the car, scanning the surrounding area. "Hold it." The three of them froze as they all turned towards him.

"See an infected?" Shane asked.

"No," Josh answered with a shake of his head. "That car though." He gestured to a black 2010 Ford Fusion. The paint had been chipped away from the weather and not being taken care of, but not as much as the cars that were abandoned on the streets, and though a few windows were busted, the car remained in relatively good shape, given the circumstances.

Someone sat in the backseat, slumped up against the car door.

"Keep your eyes peeled," Josh said. "Could be a trap." He turned to Marshall. "Give me the gun. I'm gonna approach. Stay back." Marshall handed over the gun.

Cody glanced around at the cars and buildings. His heart seemed to pound in his ears. Josh approached the car quickly, giving himself space as he studied the scene.

The person remained still inside the car.

Josh stepped forward again. His gun, aimed at the nearby buildings' busted windows. He glanced down at the car again.

The person was nothing more than a boy, barely older than fifteen. His skin was pale and had a faint blue tint to it.

Josh frowned. He placed two fingers against the boy's neck, just under the jawline, confirming his fear.

"False alarm," Josh said, turning to the others. The three of them stepped closer.

"Does that mean—?" Cody started.

"Yeah," Josh interrupted, not looking at him. He turned to Marshall. "Hand me the key. Let's test it out."

"There's always a chance," Marshall murmured, handing over the car key.

Josh clicked the unlock button on the key. The car clicked as the locks moved to the unlocked position. All four of them gasped.

"Well, I'll be damned," Josh said, mostly to himself.

"Why would they abandon this?" Cody asked.

"Probably outta gas," Shane said. He held out his hand as Josh placed the key in his hand. "Most likely." He opened the front door and tried the engine. The car sputtered, but nothing happened. "Lights turn on, and the car unlocks, so it's not the battery." Shane got out, pulling the hitch for the hood, before he and Josh stepped in front of the car.

Shane checked the car for any and all damages. Then again and again, just to be sure. He opened the lid for the coolant container before cupping his hand around the opening and his mouth and blowing into the opening. He immediately crouched down and checked underneath the car.

"What are you doing?" Cody asked as he did it a second time.

"Checking to see if the containers are cracked," Shane answered before doing the same to the washer fluid. Dark blue liquid leaked out from the bottom. "Not a big deal, but still."

"Anything wrong?" Marshall asked.

"Nothing major," Shane said, closing the hood. "Washer container is broken on the bottom. Barely any antifreeze, but we have that. Tires are pretty decent on them. Oil's low, but we can maybe find some."

"Take it," Marshall said. "We need another car." He glanced over at the boy. "Set him in the grass."

"Should we bury him?" Cody asked.

Marshall glanced up at the dark sky. Thunder sounded in the distance. "We don't have a lot of time." Shane opened the back door. "You two take care of that. Afterwards, see what you can find out here. Cody and I will check out the pharmacy." Marshall turned as he spoke with Cody following after him.

Stained blood painted the walls. Bullet holes riddled the walls, floors, and the ceiling. The windows and door were busted in. The shelves and counters were bare.

"People tend to hide things," Marshall explained. "So make sure to check under things."

Cody stepped behind the counter. "Found something."

"Already?" Marshall arched a brow. "What'd you find?"

"Some cough drops, a belt, a handgun, and a stick of chapsticks." Cody stood. "Nothing major."

Marshall blinked. "There's a dead guy behind the counter, isn't there?" Cody nodded. "How many bullets?"

Cody checked the gun. "None. Must've saved the last one for himself."

"That's rule number one." Marshall stepped around the counter and looked down at the dead man at Cody's feet.

Blood stained blonde hair, blue-tinted skin. Red athletic jacket torn at the shoulder and the wrist cuff, ripped jeans, dark brown boots. Large black and yellowish-green bruises still lingered around the reddish-orange bite mark on the man's wrist.

"Take his jacket and shoes," Marshall said. "We can fix the jacket, and the shoes can fit someone."

Cody did as he was told before placing them inside the bag he held along with the other items.

The two of them searched the pharmacy, finding only a few more items: a couple of unused bullets, a crushed granola bar, a barely used and cracked candle, and a couple of fishing lures.

They stepped out of the pharmacy and rejoined Shane and Josh outside.

"What'd you find?" Marshall asked.

"Not much," Josh said. "The best thing we found was a broken shotgun."

"And a half a can of gas," Shane added. "Put it in the other car. Found some notebooks. We could use the paper as tinder or give it to the kids."

"Good," Marshall said.

"Did you see a safe in there?" Josh asked. Marshall shook his head. "Damn."

"Let's check out the other pharmacy," Marshall said.

Their drive was slow, with Shane siphoning any and all gas that he could from the eroded cars on the street.

Josh stayed by the cars as the three of them went inside.

The pharmacy was just as bad as the other one, just as destroyed and empty.

They heard soft moaning from the back. A silhouetted figure moaned slowly back and forth.

"Down," Shane said. The three of them crouched down to the ground. "Careful."

Cody glanced at Marshall and Shane. He turned his head, spotting a hunting knife duct taped to the bottom shelf of one of the display cases.

"Let's try to flank it," Marshall whispered to Shane. "You go that way." Marshall gestured to the right side of the pharmacy. "I'll go this way."

Shane went to the right while Marshall went off to the left. Cody gripped the corner of the duct tape.

The infected had dark gray skin with thin red lines that ran up its face and down its neck. Silva ran down its chin. Dried blood stained a side of its face.

Marshall peered around a display case, readying his knife.

Cody peeled back the duct tape. The sound screeched throughout the pharmacy.

The infected turned, growling loudly.

Fuck, Cody thought, tearing off the rest of the duct tape.

The infected stepped forward. Its head, going back and forth. It growled once more before sprinting towards Cody.

Cody sat up on his knees. He gripped the hunting knife tightly, pulling it out of its sheath. The infected leapt on him.

They both fell backwards. Cody felt the knife grow stiff.

Marshall and Shane ran over to him. Cody shifted, pushing the infected off of him. The hunting knife embedded deep into the infected's neck. Cody's heart pounded in his chest. His breath, ragged.

"You okay?" Shane asked. His eyes widened as he stared down at Cody.

"Yeah," Cody said in between breaths. "Found this." He pulled the hunting knife out of the infected's neck.

"And you nearly died for it," Marshall scolded. His face grew hard.

"I'm sorry," Cody started. "I--."

"Just put it in the bag," Marshall ordered dismissively. He turned away as he spoke.

Shane helped Cody to his feet, and they both followed after Marshall, carefully listening for more infected and scavenging whatever they could.

Until they reached the back.

"Holy shit," Shane said.

"Well, I'll be damned," Marshall added.

"Do you think we'd be able to carry it?" Cody asked as they all stared at the large four by four safe.

"It looks heavy," Shane said.

"Go get Josh," Marshall said, stepping closer to the safe.

Shane turned and quickly ran off.

The safe's buttons were faded with numerous people over the years attempting to guess the code, some more so than others. The door suffered from scratches and attempts of people trying to pry it open by force.

"Holy fuck," Josh said as he stepped beside them. "Tommy really wasn't lying."

"We can try to guess it," Marshall said. "Can you crack it?" He looked at Josh.