All Comments on 'The Hunt'

by BrokenSpokes

Sort by:
  • 43 Comments
Robyn1859Robyn1859over 3 years ago
Oh wow!

complex, yet simple story with a great setting... if I could give it more than 5 stars I would!

MaonaighMaonaighover 3 years ago
A worthy addition...

...to your canon, in fact a more than worthy addition. For all your disclaimer at the start, I think most of your readers will appreciate this story---as an old horror / fantasy writer myself, I certainly enjoyed it. You set the story in a specific time and place, with characters behaving the way people did then: for those who might not care for it, well, you can't change history just because you don't like it (as so many now seem to think you can). A well-earned five stars and good luck with the competition.

cursrahcursrahover 3 years ago

another great story. I have come to expect this from you. You are a great writer

mfan2112mfan2112over 3 years ago

Great story, and thanks for the heads up about not being in your Blue Girl Universe and the nature of the topics. If it had been from some other author I probably would have skipped it. But I knew you would treat the issue with respect. Look forward to reading more of your work someday.

FriskyMindFriskyMindover 3 years ago

After reading your intro, had it been most other authors, I would’ve moved on. From you, I knew that even if it wasn’t up my usual alley, it’d be a damn good story. I wasn’t wrong. A very appropriate story for the times we have been living in as well. There are still monsters afoot, oui? You clearly put a lot of time and research into this multi faceted gem, and it shows. Best wishes in the contest and eagerly looking forward to whatever comes next!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

I was wondering if this story was linked to last years contest entry and it was cool to see that it was and to see Josette again. Good luck with the contest this year.

MigbirdMigbirdover 3 years ago
Something Different (?)

Something different, but something so special: You captured the period, the nuance, and the place while creating real characters. Perfect for this contest. Tense and poignant, while outcome is really not inconsistent with the outcome/message of your other, wonderfully captivating stories. You are an impressive writer - go wherever you wish, but please continue to share.

tomtrahtomtrahover 3 years ago

great story - thank you

this one raises a question though : why put it in the context of the fifties ?

most everything you describe is our contemporary reality, though ever more complicated since racism is outlawed

Ash_legendAsh_legendover 3 years ago
Great story, as usual

I was another of the people who almost skipped this story. I don't enjoy violence against women - hits a bit too close to home. I also don't really enjoy reading about heterosexual sex on here, it's the one place I don't usually need it forced upon me. All that being said, I read it because you are truly a great author. And that would be my one complaint - needed more female interactions (you can read "lesbian interactions"). Everything else was perfect. Good luck with the contest, I hope you win. I also hope you continue with your blue girl universe - I have definitely missed reading your stories.

LilyVonSchtuppLilyVonSchtuppover 3 years ago
Thank you

Thank you for bringing Josette back. She is still a very interesting character, and I feel you have only scratched the surface of her. Well crafted mystery story, good characters, good job capturing the attitudes of the time period you've set this story in. I did guess who the monster was early on, but it was still gratifying to see that I was right in the end. I enjoyed watching the story unfold.

Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm glad to see you writing something again. Hopefully we will see more from you in the future.

avidreader223avidreader223over 3 years ago
Thank you

Thank you for branching out and giving us this truly special story, especially during these times. You always manage to so elegantly show us both the beautiful and ugly of life, something not many authors can do. Proud to be a part of this and looking forward to (hopefully) reading more of your amazing stories.

Kosova_guyKosova_guyover 3 years ago

excellent. thank you very much for writing and sharing this.

Marbury1803Marbury1803over 3 years ago
Well done

Only you could get me to adventure into erotic horror, not a genre I would normally indulge. I thought this to be very good. I enjoyed your stretching into a dramatically different setting--New Orleans as opposed to the D.C. area. I also much enjoyed your effort to explore a really difficult dialect, and for the most part, I thought you nailed it. Although I didn't have quite the emotional investment in this story that I have had with your previous outings, it was a fun read. Well done.

silveraidersilveraiderover 3 years ago
Great story

I don't read horror stories (or watch horror movies) so erotic horror isn't a genre that normally appeals to me. So this is a first for me, and I only read it because you weave such good stories around very well drawn characters. And this story was no different. I liked the 50s noir feel to the piece, and loved the way you developed the characters (I hope we can have more Etienne stories in the future). I'm still not sure about the supernatural elements of the story but that's a personal preference and Josette was beautifully realised and written. As was the m-f sex scene. You may have felt like you were venturing outside of your comfort zone but I think you've just expanded your 'zone' and proved, once again, that you're a great story teller.

Jake7518Jake7518over 3 years ago

Once again you created successfully a great tale. I love the location and the time period; I'm in my seventies and it was easy to relate to the time period.

Thank you again!

P.S. hope for more Etienne stories.

BadbeagleBadbeagleover 3 years ago

Well crafted story, and suspenseful. Glad to see the bad guy getting the spook treatment.

QiNagaQiNagaover 3 years ago

Haven't read any of your other tales yet but this was...simply masterful!

Absolutely loved it! <3

Alex721Alex721over 3 years ago
You right it, and they will co.... read it.

I like everyone else saw your names and had to read. I have been a reader( see lover) of all your works since I stumbled across Wheels in Motion, and was hooked. So then I back tracked to Hard Landings. You always put so much thought and detail into your stories. As always 5++ stars.

P.S. Loved the small reference to Josette and her coffee shop. And I thought I was the only one that used the term or even know with a “church key” was.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

been a fan for a while now tried voting before and failed good news is lots of people like you can and vote i think you will have no worries i really enjoy your stories best wishes a fan shayne

Ravey19Ravey19over 3 years ago
Wonderful Story

Well written and I loved the characterisation of Josephine and Chevalier.

Skapie007Skapie007over 3 years ago
👍

Totaly different from your usual work. But is was still an amazing story.

onedegreeawayonedegreeawayover 3 years ago
It was like I was home again...

You got it dead right, New Orleans isn't a place, it's a character.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Couldn't Put It Down

My compliments on a well-written story. Excellent characters, wonderful flavor and historical bits.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

A very enjoyable read. You are an amazingly talented writer and have shown us you can switch genres with success. Thank you for sharing with us.

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyover 3 years ago
Cat calls

Cats the perfect beings mother nature brought forth ..... So hunting and playing with vics are theyr specials ..... And purring is a safety valve system for happiness overflow .... Thanks for this hunt

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Well written mystery.

Even had a "Red" herring!

One minor continuity break on page 4 where Red points his pan at J after E had already taken it from him. Hardly noticeable; took the second reading to spot it.

RangeExpanderRangeExpanderover 3 years ago

Excellent work thank you! So well written, strong stand against racism and violence, gripping story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Well written. Enjoyed it right to the end. All's well that ends well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

One of the best stories around. Thanks.

Dilvish013Dilvish013over 2 years ago

Excellent story set in a place I love! But then, who doesn't.

Runner4069Runner4069over 2 years ago

Such a different turn from you but still an very well written story. I greatly enjoyed it and thank-you for sharing!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Lots of fun. Love your skill and versatility. If you aren't already a pro, you're plenty good enough to be. Thanks for sharing your love for writing.

Barry

Arinderk75Arinderk75almost 2 years ago

Wow!! Mike Hammer in the French Quarter! That makes for a great story by an excellent writer. You quickly pulled me into the era, the place, the street language, and the people. A fun read. You even had me guessing wrong about the "Monstah" I thought it was Red......"Who new it was the Homicide cop!" It would be fun to see Etienne and Josephine again. Thank you!

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 1 year ago

Well written and great story telling. I could just about taste the red beans and rice.

PurplefizzPurplefizzover 1 year ago

I confess I enjoyed that more than I probably ought to have done, I’m not sure if you were having a poke at us readers with Red being an actual “red herring” or if it was me adding 2+2 and getting 5.

I loved everything about this bar the casual and endemic racism, which of course was the point all along, still waaay too many people with that ugly pov.

I’d really love to see another story featuring Josette as a side character, New Orleans has seen so much death and suffering along with an excess of party culture that there has to be scope for another tale or two, not necessarily from the same era, but whatever you feel you can write I’d be happy reading. Best wishes and a happy Halloween 2022, cheers Ppfzz.

FandeborisFandeborisabout 1 year ago

A fantastic story. The only thing I got right was Josephine was a voodoo priestess. Everything else was a miss. But isn't that the way a good detective story is supposed to work? You don't know what you got until the end. Personally, I found the racism upsetting. You had to use it as vehicle to move the plot, and I would defend its use to my dying day. You did well in conveying the treatment of Black and White people, and if truth be known, You held back.

I am glad you won. Congratulations!

P.S. If Purplefizz wants another Josette story I recommend "the Looking Glass"

WargamerWargamerabout 1 year ago

A really good story. You have a knack for this genre. Forget the other stuff, keep writing mysteries

Scores 5/5 deservedly. Into my favourites it goes.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Just as good on the second reading. Etienne and Josette make a great couple.

okami1061okami1061about 1 year ago

Quite simply, good. We would, of course, liked to have seen more, these characters were worth digging further into.

I'm from Louisiana, and frequently from New Orleans, actually born just before your story. You are quite accurate. I watched coloreds sitting in the back of the bus (literally); they weren't forced, they just knew to, there wasn't any choice. The little town I was born in was, quite literally, divided (like a line in the sand), white side of town, and colored side of town (we hadn't even started calling "them" black yet. I didn't see a lot of hatefulness (from either side), because everyone just knew who and what they were … and behaved.

But then, a few years later, I went through forced desegregation … and that's what set off all the troubles. Neither side knew who or what they were anymore … and therefore didn't know how to act. The hatefulness went both ways … and took nearly two decades to disappear.

Though there's nothing unique in that respect about New Orleans (the entire South went through it).

But, there's plenty about New Orleans that is unique. I've spent so much time there for so many years, off and on, and had no trouble following are of your geography, especially what the riverfront used to be like. I especially liked Warehouse #6 sitting where the Hilton sits now. And despite your pointing out the tourists there, by today's standards, there practically no tourists back then, after all, simple transportation was almost nonexistent (the US Interstate System was only a wish during your story). So, 90% of the "tourists" were really from the surrounding areas, not "real" tourists as we see them today.

In any case, your story struck quite the cord with me.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Excellent! Now I need to plan a visit Louisiana.

EoRaptor013EoRaptor0139 months ago

They just don't get any better than this; some as good, but none better.

jmcharl1jmcharl17 months ago

I agree with wargamer that you should write more mystery. Though I’ve enjoyed all you’ve written.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBrokenSpokes@BrokenSpokes
My author friends AwkwardMD and Omenainen's collaborative account AwkwardApple415 have released a new story today, The Most Mysterious Song. Go check it out and show them some love! It's a sweet little tale. ~~~~~~~~~~ Hello, and welcome to my author bio page. I'm Spokes, an...