The Huntsman and the Nix Ch. 07-08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Papa!" Wer said, flying to his father. "They have guns! They're soldiers."

Sutter turned and looked as Wer arrived and Ero swept him up and deposited him back into the shuttle where the child was drawn in by hands, the boy protesting.

Ero moved slowly, and behind Ero came Miter, also raising his hands, and then Cope and Ulen, Init and Hops.

"Everybody stay calm," Jaunt said. "The Nix are peaceful and in protective custody."

Presha cried out, sounding like she was being murdered, everyone twitching. "What is taking so long?" Rab yelled from inside. "This baby isn't going to wait!"

"Baby?" Lead Darit said, looking like he was having the world's worst day. "What baby?"

Jaunt walked to Lead Darit, leaning in. "We've got a woman in labor who walked through a jungle for weeks to get here because we promised her safety and who's going to bleed to death in that shuttle if we don't get her medical attention right away. I will say it again. I am licensed Huntsman J-6390. I invoke Huntsman Priority. I require an emergency medical team and an escort to the Atelone justica."

Miter stepped forward, the soldiers' guns snapping to him. He stopped, looking at Lead Darit. "Presha. There's something wrong. Please."

Lead Darit shifted his eyes to Jaunt and Sutter and Isobet and then back to the Nix, who hadn't moved. Presha cried out again and Lead Darit moved, pointing to two of his men. "Samsi and Carit, call for an emergency medical team and tell them to get here in a hurry. Line, fall back! Huntsman, you have invoked Huntsman Priority and I yield authority to you. My men will escort you and your party to the justica."

The bay doors opened and suddenly there were SCA officers coming pouring through, armed and in full gear, four and four, flanking a woman who was walking, long black justica robes. Corsa security forces made way for them.

Everybody stopped, even Presha seeming to pause in her struggle.

When she arrived, the justica's eyes went to Jaunt, Sutter, Isobet, and then to the Nix. She was a tall woman, brown hair, with a long face, long hands. "What is going on here, Lead Darit?"

"Justica Spel," Lead Darit said, pulling out his pad and manipulating it, handing it to her. "I got an order from Justica Alek Turne at System Central Authority warning that a rogue huntsman and a group of Nix soldiers had attacked Forsyte Institute on Tilles Moon and were possibly coming to Corsa to do the same. The order authorized the use of lethal force."

The justica looked down at the pad. "And yet this order did not go through my office, Lead Darit. I was only just notified there was even a situation. Huntsman J-6390, did I hear that you are invoking Huntsman's Priority?"

"Yes, Justica," Jaunt said. "They're peaceful. We've got a medical emergency."

The justica turned and looked at the Nix, who were expressionless. "Stay here," she said to the SCA officers who accompanied her.

"Justica Spel," one of the officers objected.

"Thank you," Justica Spel said. "Please remain calm."

Justica Spel walked toward the Nix. She approached Miter, all the Nix still expressionless. "What is your name?" she said, looking up.

"Miter, Justica," Miter said.

"Which one of you is Nivea-1?" the justica said.

"I am, Justica Spel," Isobet said, coming out of the shuttle to stand with the other Nix.

Justica Spel turned to look at her. The justica blinked several times. Her eyes swept them. "I am Justica Maylene Spel. Welcome to Atelone on Corsa. If you will accompany me to my offices, I'm sure we can get this straightened out."

"Thank you, Justica," Miter said, worry animating his face. "But Presha, she's in labor--"

Presha cried out, Miter looking at the shuttle.

"In labor," Justica Spel echoed, her eyes going wide, turning. "Officer Liss, where is that emergency medical team?"

"They're here!" one of the officers called, more people coming onto the shuttle dock.

"Miter, you will stay with your wife and go to medical with an escort. Tam and Sheval, go with him," the justica said. "The rest of you will come with me."

"Everyone out," Ero called. "Let the medical team in there."

It was chaos, the officers retrieving the justica. Sutter motioned Isobet to him and she came, Sutter breathing out. Seth emerged, going to Ulen, and then Oline appeared, walking down, Usta's hand in hers. Heta came out, her hand on her stomach, Init already on his way, and then Islan, holding Cala, who squirmed and held her arms out to her father, Hops taking her. Malia came out, Wer's hand firmly in hers, the boy downcast, and then Cope had Sangra.

They brought Presha out on a litter, Miter with her, Rab following them out and going to Oline. The medical team didn't stop, straight through the doors, running.

"Lead Darit, I think your team can disperse," Justica Spel said. "You did the right thing. I'll want to speak with you." Justica Spel looked at the remaining group. "Well," she said. "Let's go inside, shall we?"

* * *

[Isobet]

They were in a large system authority holding room, although the door was open, two armed guards by the doors who watched. They'd been here for almost two hours. Nobody had spoken with them. It was a plain room, only chairs, and not very comfortable chairs.

Two of the children were asleep, Wer sprawled on Ero's chest after having demonstrated to the system authority officers stationed not far how wild Nix really were, the boy rushing around, his hair flying. Malia was next to Ero, also asleep, her head on Ero's shoulder. Cala was curled up on Hops, the child's hand holding his fingers, Islan awake and holding his other hand. Hops glared at the officers sometimes, who pretended not to notice. Sangra was asleep against Cope, who had his arm around her. All the Nix were awake and alert.

Isobet was sitting next to Sutter, curled up to him. It was cold in the room, at least to her, and he'd put his jacket over her, Jaunt on his other side. Jaunt's arms were crossed and his chin was on his chest, Sutter nudging him with his shoulder whenever Jaunt started to snore.

"Fuck, Sutter," Jaunt finally said. "Stop doing that."

"You're snoring."

"I don't snore. Do I snore, Isobet?"

"No," Isobet said.

"Fucking prick," Jaunt said, settling down again. In a moment, it started. Sutter nudged him with his shoulder, Jaunt startling awake and they would argue again.

Ulen and Seth weren't far, their eyes watchful and their hands linked. Init led Heta back from the bathroom, where he pulled her onto his lap and she curled into him.

Miter was still with Presha in medical. They hadn't heard anything.

Rab paced, the Forsyte brand clear on his arm, the system authority officers keeping their eyes on him. Sometimes he sat next to Oline. Usta was sitting quietly on Oline's other side, the child's feet not reaching the floor, playing with Jaunt's pad, entirely engrossed.

Rab stopped when the far door opened and the Justica Spel came into the large holding area with her personal guard, system authority officers, her robe swishing. Jaunt was just starting to snore.

Sutter dug his elbow into Jaunt's side, making a sharp noise. Isobet sat up straight, setting the jacket aside.

Jaunt startled awake. "Stop it, Sutter. I don't snore!" Jaunt practically yelled.

Justica Spel walked to stand in front of them, the system authority coming along. Sangra and Malia woke up as Sutter and Jaunt got to their feet. Isobet stayed sitting, watching.

"I'm sorry to tell you that yes, you do snore, Huntsman J-6390," Justica Spel said, looking around at everyone. "Good Atelone morning. I apologize for the wait and the location." The justica turned to Sutter and Jaunt. "I have been speaking to SCA on Cathal, trying to sort this mess, and I'm frankly mystified. I thought I would come to you, Huntsmen, since these people are under your protection and probably wouldn't feel comfortable being separated from you. I'd like to hear what happened. And in case you're wondering, I do not have an arrest order for you, Huntsman S-4062, in part, I'm sure, because you were reported dead in a shuttle crash. And you, Huntsman J-6390, are supposed to be on personal leave and were not cleared to investigate the matter."

"I would be dead if he hadn't. I walked into a kitz nest on Tilles, Justica, and I had to lay low to protect my target. I was issued a d-order by Justica Alek Turne for her," Sutter said, gesturing at Isobet, "and that same justica just tried to have us murdered on the Atelone shuttle dock."

"A d-order," Justica Spel echoed. "That is not what it says in my records, Huntsman."

"That's the order that I was given, Justica," Sutter said.

"I see," Justica Spel said, turning to Isobet. "You're Nivea-1, the Nix who was accused of murdering Adelaid Forsyte?"

Isobet stood up. "I'm a Nix, Justica, but I didn't kill my father," Isobet said.

"Your father," the justica echoed.

"Justica Spel, this is Isobet Forsyte, Adelaid Forsyte's daughter," Sutter clarified.

"I see," the justica said again. "Are you more dangerous than you look?" she said to Isobet.

Sutter made a face at her, Isobet turning to frown at him. Isobet turned back to the justica. "Yes, Justica," Isobet said.

Sutter sighed. "But not that much more," Sutter clarified.

Isobet looked at him. "I'm dangerous," Isobet said.

"I know, killer--"

Justica Spel put up a finger. "Perhaps we should get this out of the way so we can move forward," Justica Spel said, her eyes shifting to Isobet. "Have you killed anyone recently, Na Forsyte?"

"Yes, Justica," Isobet said.

"I see," the justica said, her eyes drifting to Sutter's.

"In self-defense, Justica," Sutter clarified, his eyes going to Isobet, frowning at her. Sutter lowered his voice, leaning in to speak to the justica. "After her father was murdered, they arrested Isobet and the guards at the institute took her to a room, put her in restraints and assaulted--"

"I'll stop you there, Huntsman," Justica Spel said, putting her hand up, her eyes on Isobet's face. "We need to start at the beginning. There's a room across the way. We'll speak there in privacy. Na Forsyte, I'd like you to be there."

"Yes, Justica," Isobet said.

"Is there any news of Presha, the woman who was brought into medical?" Rab said, not approaching the justica, his eyes darting to the officers who flanked her.

"You're Rab. You're a medic, I understand," Justica Spel said, turning to look at him.

"I was a medic for the Nix in the Ohktan War, Justica," Rab said, expressionless.

"I will find out for you," the justica said. "I would also like you to be there, Rab."

Rab looked at Oline, who met his eyes, her mouth tight.

Usta set the pad down beside herself. "Papa?" Usta said, getting up and going to Rab, looking up. "Where are they taking you?"

Rab swept her up, the child's arms going around his neck. "Don't worry, tufsa. Just across the hall. I'll be back soon."

"Nothing bad is going to happen to your father, Usta," Jaunt said.

"No," Usta said, ignoring Jaunt, her face getting stormy. "Don't go, Papa. They have guns."

"They're system authority officers, Usta," Sutter said. "They're just here to protect the justica."

"From Papa?" Usta said, turning to frown on him. "No."

Justica Spel walked to Rab, the system authority officers paying sharp attention. "Hello, Usta," she said. "I'm Justica Spel. Nobody is going to hurt your father or take him from you. We're going to talk and get all this straightened out."

"You don't like Nix," Usta accused the woman. "I'm a Nix. We didn't do anything. You'll take him away and put him in a prison for bad people and lock the doors."

The justica shook her head. "That's not true. I like Nix and I think you're brave to come here, and we don't put brave fathers in prison unless they've done something terribly wrong, Usta, and nobody here thinks that your father has done anything like that."

Usta was staring at her, that Nix stare, and then she scowled. "Do you promise?"

"Yes," Justica Spel said, smiling at her. "I have a little girl a bit older than you. Her name is Dita. She gets just as suspicious when she's hungry. Is it possible that you're hungry?"

"Yes," Usta said. "We only had tubers."

Justica Spel turned to one of the officers. "Mel, arrange to have breakfast brought to everyone here while they're waiting, if you would, as well as some travel mattresses for the children and anything else you can think of that would make them more comfortable. Please inform me as soon as there's any news of the young woman who was brought into medical."

"Yes, Justica," the officer said, nodding.

#

They were a little over an hour into the debriefing when a knock came at the door, interrupting everything. A man with a medical tag on his shirt opened it, stepping in.

"I'm Stevin, Justica, a medical assistant. Pardon me for interrupting. You wanted us to tell you when the woman who was in labor--"

"Is Presha all right?" Rab said, standing up. "The baby?"

The assistant eyed the big Nix and then nodded. "It was a complicated delivery. Let's just say it was very good you got her to us in time. Mother and child are going to be fine," the man said, and then he smiled. "It's a girl."

Rab released all his breath, raking his hand through his hair, his shoulders falling. "Good," he said, nodding. "That's good. Thank you."

"Why don't we take a break so you can tell the others?" the justica said. "I have a feeling we're going to be here for a time. Axi, would you bring lunch for everyone here? And some kind of hot drink."

"Would it be all right if I left, Justica?" Jaunt said. "I should bring that shuttle back."

"Of course, Huntsman J-6390. I have your deposition. Please don't leave Corsa yet."

"Goodbye, Jaunt," Isobet said, everything moving so fast.

"Don't worry, beautiful. You'll see me again," he said, leaving.

#

After the debriefing, they were all herded to a large hospital dormitory, the justica ordering that a whole section be provided to the Nix and their families, as well as clothing and toiletries and access to bathing facilities. Everyone was getting a medical checkup, all the Nix clean-shaven except for Hops, who'd trimmed his beard, and they had faces under there.

"Don't!" they heard a small voice say from behind the curtain.

"It's okay, son--No, don't touch that," a man's voice said. "I'm not going to--Ow! Don't take that off--"

The baby in Presha's arms, which they'd named Beta, had her eyes open and had found her fist and was chewing on it furiously, Miter hovering over her.

Wer streaked out from behind the curtain, brown and nude, his long dark hair flying, heading for the open door and disaster. Ero took three fast steps and swept the boy up, who promptly climbed his father like a tree, wrapping around his head, one hand over Ero's eye.

"Don't!" Wer yelled at the doctor who came out, the doctor's hair a little roughed up and who was limping lightly.

Malia came out and winced. "The doctor wants to give him a nutritional supplement, Ero. It just a tiny shot, Wer--"

"Help!" Wer cried. "Help!"

"I'll see if I can get it in another form," the doctor said, going to the door, still limping lightly, Wer glaring after him.

"I am so sorry, Justica," Malia said, going to Ero and touching the boy, who melted off his father and into his mother's arms, clinging to her.

Justica Spel's mouth twitched and then she laughed. "There's no need. It's been a long day for all of you. Isobet, I'd like to ask if you would be willing to do something for me when the doctor returns."

#

Isobet sat on the exam table behind the curtain. Doctor Ves was a tall, rather harried man. Sutter stepped in, the justica already present.

"You don't need to be here, Huntsman," Doctor Ves said.

"Would it be all right if he stayed, Doctor?" Isobet said.

"It's your choice, young woman," the doctor said, tilting her chin and looking into her eyes with the light, Isobet wincing. The doctor clicked it off. "Enhanced night vision. Sorry about that. So you are a Nix."

"Yes."

"I had no idea there were females," he said, looking through a scope at her ears, as if there were something interesting in there, something uniquely Nix.

"I'm the only one that I know of," Isobet said, the doctor tugging and tilting her, poking and prodding.

Doctor Ves stepped back. "If you'd like the huntsman to leave, this is the part where I ask you to remove your shirt. I understand you have an injury."

Isobet glanced at Sutter and then at the justica. She didn't want to get Sutter in trouble, suspecting it might be somewhat frowned on for a huntsman to be romantically involved with a target.

"I've already given my report to the justica, Isobet," Sutter said, the justica's lips pursing, a long sidelong glance that Sutter ignored.

The justica certainly didn't look pleased about it. Isobet's fingers went to her shirt, the room seemingly overly quiet as she unbuttoned it, in her undershirt, the doctor handing her a loose gown she put over her front.

The doctor's face was grave as he looked at the brand. "No trouble moving the limb?"

"No."

Justica Spel approached, getting past the doctor and seeing it, her face tightening. "I would like to ask the doctor to take some pictures of the area, Isobet, for system central authority when they review the case, with your permission."

"Yes," Isobet said, looking away.

"Do you still have pain?" the doctor said.

"Sometimes."

"It will probably take at least a full Corsa solar cycle to heal fully. Can you feel this?"

"No."

"This?"

"No."

"This?"

"I think."

"There is some nerve damage."

Isobet nodded.

"I understand there was also an alleged assault--"

"I don't want to talk about that," Isobet said, her eyes flashing up, staring at the doctor.

"Perhaps when you're done here, you could come with me to my office, Isobet," the justica said, "and tell me in private, as much as you feel comfortable with."

Isobet looked at the justica. She finally nodded. "All right." The doctor began taking pictures of her shoulder for people Isobet didn't know to look at, manipulating her arm, Isobet's belly tense. Before they were done, Sutter had slipped out of the room and was gone.

Chapter Eight

It was late afternoon by the time Isobet was released from the justica's office, and she felt raw and off-balance, answering the justica's questions, reliving it. She hadn't seen Sutter since he'd left her with the doctor. A system authority officer accompanied her back to the dorm and then to a room. He opened the door for her.

"Thank you, Pater," she said.

He nodded at her, his eyes pleasant. "A pleasure, Na Forsyte," he said, smiling. "The door locks. The lock can be overridden by medical personnel, but there's always a record."

"All right," she said, going through.

"Have a good evening," the officer said, reaching to close the door.

"Thank you," she said to the empty room.

She wandered a little, the room quiet. Everything seemed sterile, formed polymer in soothing colors. Isobet went and sat on the bed. After a time, she got up and went to the window, looking down into Welin, the capital city of Atelone. It was a tall view. There were lights, so many people who were normal and who had lives, friends and lovers and family.

Adelaid had been the only one who had known her or really cared about her. She missed him. Isobet had thought she might have found a new family with the Nix, but they already had families. She didn't think they needed her around.

Going into the bathing room, she stripped, having a shower and washing her hair with what was provided. It relaxed her body, but she still had an aching place in her chest, knowing it wasn't about the other Nix. Drying herself, she put her clothes back on, lying on the bed, curling up on her side and hugging a pillow.