The Huntsman and the Nix Ch. 09 - END

Story Info
The Nix go home.
4.9k words
4.84
23.3k
30

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 04/18/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hey everyone--This is a chapter for people who would like to finish the story. -H

CHAPTER 9

[Sutter]

Sutter shifted on his feet, tired of standing. He and Isobet were waiting for the justicas, had been waiting for almost an hour. The other Nix were waiting outside the door, under guard.

They were in Cathal, the capital of Aloet System. They'd been brought by a shuttle that belonged to System Central Authority, a huge SCA symbol on the side and a system authority officer already seated, the officer armed.

The officer had nodded at Sutter, who had entered the shuttle and sat next to him, and then given a curious glance at Isobet, his brows going up, nodding to her, as well. Then the officer had seen the seven Nix approaching, each seeming bigger than the last, the officer sitting back a little.

The shuttle had creaked and swayed as the Nix climbed in and seated themselves, impassive in front of the SCA officer. Jaunt was staying with their families in the same dorm in Atelone.

Now, at SCA Headquarters, in the Justica Department, in a large echoing room with polished wood that smelled of oil, the floor covered in plush carpet, a door opened. The justicas entered, three of them, two men and a woman in robes, to sit on raised benches, their names embossed on the table in front of them.

He and Isobet faced them. Isobet was in a dark blue dress, her usually wild hair tamed to a sleek, silky cap that glinted blue under the lights and moved like liquid. She looked young and very beautiful. The justicas were shooting glances at her. Curious about her.

"Na Isobet Juna Forsyte, this is a System Central Authority Tribunal," Justica Tel said, a stocky man with wide shoulders and bushy eyebrows, his voice neutral. "You have asked Huntsman S-4062 to join you and we have allowed it."

"Thank you, Justica Tel," Isobet said.

Justica Tel leaned forward and spoke. "Na Forsyte, we don't often issue d-orders. It is even more rare for the justicas at the SCA to issue d-orders for a person who has not been convicted of a crime. Due process is not something that is supposed to be circumvented by system authority. This power is used only in extreme cases in which the fugitive presents an imminent danger to the public and we believe that person can't be brought in without endangering a huntsman. Even then, we must have proof that a crime has been committed. We do not issue d-orders without proof. The justicas on Cathas issued, in fact, an a-order for Nivea-1. It was our intention that a huntsman bring you to us so that we could determine your innocence or guilt in the death of Adelaid Forsyte and Speculo Tab, as well as Bors Avit and Colin Ferst, also Forsyte Institute guards. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Justica Tel," Isobet said.

Another justica leaned forward, Justica Tel leaning back. Justica Morens, a bald man with intense eyes, spoke. "That a-order was then illegally altered to a d-order by Ne Alek Turne, then a justica. The record of that d-order ghosted out of system authority computers. SCA techs were able to retrieve it and found that the source of that ghost order originated from Forsyte Institute. From evidence that you provided to SCA in the form of a data ring, we have proof that one Na Bruja laReine, deceased, and then-Justica Ne Alek Turne, colluded in the murder of multiple Nix persons, and we also have a record of the mistreatment of the Nix by personnel at Forsyte Institute. We have reviewed other evidence regarding the assault and attempted murder of yourself and the attempted murder of Huntsman S-4062. You will now have an opportunity to speak with Ne Alek Turne, who has been convicted and awaits sentencing by this tribunal. Will you speak to him?"

"I will, Justica," Isobet said.

"Then we give you Alek Turne."

A screen came down to their left, everyone looking. It was procedure for a person who had been found guilty to face those who had been wronged, to have the opportunity to apologize or explain, if the wronged person allowed it. The wronged people could refuse, and also could silence the guilty person at any time.

A man appeared on the screen, tall, handsome and older, gray hair and an ascetic face, a sharp hooked nose, deep and dark circles under his eyes. He was flanked by SCA officers. His eyes went to Isobet and he seemed to do a double-take. Sutter could only imagine how Bruja laReine must have described Isobet to this man.

Alek Turne looked at her more closely and then he seemed to recover, his mouth firming. "I am guilty of this crime, if it is a crime," Alek Turne declared, his chin raising. "I am a patriot, a member of the Aloet System. I told Bruja laReine to persuade her husband to make the Nix. I wanted to save Aloet System from the Ohktans, and I was successful. You can damn me for it, but Aloet System is free because I was willing to do the hard thing, because I had the courage to do what others wouldn't. I would do it again. It was my duty."

"But you didn't have the courage to take responsibility for those actions, but rather attempted to escape their consequences," Isobet said sharply. "And that, Ne Turne, was the act of a coward."

She surprised the justicas, Sutter saw, all of them glancing at her. Sutter wasn't surprised. Isobet was badass.

Turne's brows went up and then crashed down as he opened his mouth.

"Silence," Isobet said.

Alek Turne's lips were moving, but there was no sound. The screen retreated, the man still talking.

Justica Amuth, a woman with short dark hair, leaned in, Justica Morens leaning back.

"Na Isobet Juna Forsyte," Justica Amuth said. "This tribunal exonerates you of any guilt in the murder of the death of your father, Doctor Adelaid Forsyte, and also in the death of Ne Bors Avit and Ne Colin Ferst. In the matter of Ne Speculo Tab, given medical evidence of the terrible injuries you suffered in custody and testimony you provided regarding the assault against you, this tribunal declares that your actions were in self-defense and you are found innocent of any crime. It is now recorded."

"Thank you, Justicas," Isobet said, turning to look at Sutter and smiling, Sutter releasing his breath. Sometimes the system worked.

Justica Tel leaned forward again as Justica Amuth leaned back.

"Bring in the other parties," Justica Tel said, her voice as toneless.

The Nix came in, all of them expressionless. They filled the area, coming to stand with Sutter and Isobet. The justicas were sending more curious glances and then they looked down or away, arranging their faces.

"Na Isobet Forsyte," Justica Tel said. "This tribunal confirms your status as a citizen of Aloet System. This tribunal also confirms the citizenship status of the seven other Nix persons now present, recorded as: Init Forsyte, Rab Forsyte, Hops Forsyte, Ero Forsyte, Miter Forsyte, Ulen Forsyte, and Cope Forsyte, and that status does extend and will extend to existing and future natural and adoptive children and has been entered into the official records by system authority. You will be receiving your citizenship numbers shortly. It is now recorded." Justica Tel leaned back.

Sutter turned and met Rab's eyes, who nodded at him, his hand sweeping through his hair.

Justica Morens sat forward, his hands folded. "That said, we don't want to abandon the Nix," the justica said. "The system authority is prepared to offer vocational training on Zachary Moon. It is far-edge system, that's true, but there are dormitory quarters there already for the families of others who work in the mining facility, and we may be able to provide some other rehabilitation services, including educational supports and treatment for any trauma sustained during their tenure as Aloet System soldiers--"

"May I speak, Justica Morens?" Isobet said, cutting him off.

Sutter was eyeing the justicas. And sometimes the system didn't work very well. Mining on a far-edge moon, fuck's sake.

Justica Morens stopped, releasing his breath, his lips pursing, and then he smiled at her a little. "Of course, Na Forsyte. The SCA is always happy to hear from the Nix. What would you like to say to us?"

Isobet was giving the stare, a dovrit facing black gore birds. The justicas leaned back a little.

"Yes, I am a Nix," Isobet said, her voice flat. "I have also recently been informed by legal counsel that I am the sole heir to the Forsyte fortune and also Forsyte Institute and all research projects currently under contract. I have already dismissed the previous members of the board, all of whom served Forsyte Institute during the Ohktan War, and I will be overseeing the election of new members to fill those positions. With the passing of my father, I am also within my rights to liquidate all Forsyte assets and terminate all contracts, including significant SCA governmental contracts in medicine and genetics."

The justicas were staring at her again, all three of them looking alarmed.

"This will need to be taken into consideration, young woman," Justica Morens said. "It may be that the SCA will need to intervene to prevent you from taking actions that could impact on far more than just yourself, Na Forsyte, but also may have broad-reaching consequences to business interests in the Aloet System. You may not understand the ramifications of what you do. The administration of Forsyte Institute is a significant responsibility for someone who, if you'll forgive me, has no background--"

"Pardon me, Justica Morens. I had already held all of my justica certifications and only required the final examination on Cathal," Isobet said. "I took and passed that examination two days ago, my license from SCA pending the recording of exoneration of existing criminal murder charges, which I have just received from this judicial body. I am now a licensed justica, currently non-practicing. I am as qualified as you are, and I have already notified my legal counsel that they should prepare against any efforts on the part of SCA representatives to illegally seize or appropriate any part of those assets or to reduce my power in that capacity by questioning my competency."

Sutter gave a low laugh beside her. Badass. The justicas had frozen, staring.

"A moment, please," Justica Tel said, signaling an officer who brought him a pad. He touched it, reading and passing it to the other justicas.

They all looked at it. There was silence.

Justica Tel leaned forward again. "Justica Forsyte," he said. "What would you like to say to us?"

"The fact that then-Justica Alek Turne independently initiated illegal activities against myself and Huntsman S-4062, and all the Nix, dead and living," Isobet replied, "does not change the fact that those illegal activities originated from the Justica Department and the means for carrying out those illegal activities were made possible by his position in this judicial body, which has a responsibility to any citizens against whom actions are taken by a justica functioning in an official capacity. The Nix are now, as you have recorded, citizens of Aloet System. In short, Justicas, you have made no indication that the SCA Justica Department is also liable in these proceedings. Given that, I believe we are within our rights to invoke a ruling by the Independent Oversight Committee."

The IOC. What every justica feared. Sutter glanced at her, giving another soft laugh.

The three justicas looked like something unexpected had just happened, and if Sutter knew Isobet, something unanticipated was going to arrive soon after that, and wait until they got to the unprepared-for part.

"There must be a reason you're telling us this, Justica Forsyte," Justica Amuth.

"It strikes me that Aloet System owes a debt to the Nix who fought in the Ohktan War," Isobet replied. "My internal investigation has located records within the Forsyte Institute computers of thirty-eight Nix men still unaccounted for, which was not reported to SCA by its then-administrator, Bruja laReine. I'm certain that the general citizenry in Aloet System would be reassured and heartened if it was made known that those Nix could safely come forward and also receive citizenship status."

There was another prolonged silence, and then the justicas conferred.

"Given this new information, that would be within this judicial body's power," Justica Morens said when they faced forward again. "Very well, Justica Forsyte. It is recorded."

"Excellent. We're making progress," Isobet said, and Sutter sensed the impending arrival of the unanticipated. "In addition, I believe there is a question of reparations--"

"That is not in our authority--" Justica Amuth began.

"It most certainly is, Justica Amuth, under Section 53 of the Justica code, beginning Line 19," Isobet said sharply. "Shall I call it up for you?"

Silence.

"That won't be necessary. What kind of reparations are we talking about, Justica Forsyte?" Justica Morens said, his mouth tight.

"A trust, Justica Morens, administered not by the SCA, but by a Nix representative appointed by the Nix, and available within one Cathal solar cycle without condition, in the amount of nine-thousand denus per Nix, both those present and any who come forward during the media proceedings--"

"That is outrageous--" Justica Tel said, stopping when Isobet put up a finger.

"Please allow me to finish, Justica Tel," Isobet said, waiting, giving him the stare.

"Of course, Justica Forsyte," Justica Tel said stiffly.

"Half of which monies," Isobet continued, "shall be paid by Forsyte Institute for its part in what was done to these men, with the promise of continuation of all current SCA government contracts, to be reviewed in a two year period by the new Board of Directors. In addition, the System Central Authority and Forsyte Institute will notify the public regarding the specifics of the crimes committed against Nix citizens and issue a joint public apology to the Nix for the mismanagement of their care by this office and the abuse that they suffered as soldiers of Aloet System."

Silence. Sutter was waiting for the unprepared-for to arrive.

"This will, of course, require careful consideration by this body..." Justica Morens began, falling silent, watching her.

Isobet had already bent, picking up a portfolio by her feet and opening it. She pulled out two packets, setting them down. "In this packet," she said, putting her hand on one of them, "I have gathered the paperwork necessary to initiate these reparations and provided the names of those public media agencies I have already contacted and who are waiting word from you in case you would feel moved to release a public statement, which I have rendered. It requires the signatures of three acting justicas." Her hand shifted. "In this packet, I have prepared the paperwork necessary for the liquidation of all Forsyte assets and the termination of all SCA contracts held by Forsyte Institute, as well as an initial filing for a request for a ruling by the Independent Oversight Committee and notification of the refusal of the SCA to effect those reparations to go to those same waiting media outlets. I see no reason to delay, Justicas."

Sutter grinned. And there it was.

#

Everyone stared at the Nix as they passed, the men ignoring the attention, their first time walking free among their fellow citizens, no SCA officer accompanying them.

Sutter had taken a leave of absence. Well, he was on probation. It didn't matter. He had other plans anyway. "The shuttle is ready. We can leave right away," Sutter said.

When they arrived at the busy shuttle dock, they found their bay. Jaunt was already there with the women and children in an even larger, much cleaner shuttle. It was Sutter's shuttle, actually. The doors opened to three children--four, if you counted Beta, a drop in a blanket on Presha's lap--and smiling faces.

They all clambered aboard, finding their places, greeting each other and talking.

Jaunt rose. "I've set our coordinates," he said, the trip automated, Jaunt coming and sitting down across from Sutter, next to Ulen and Seth as the shuttle rose slowly, leaving the system capital. "We'll be in Detuth in about two hours."

"Nine-thousand denus, Isobet," Rab said next to Oline, Usta on his lap. "That would be enough to live anywhere in the system. Do you really think the SCA will give that to us?"

"The papers are signed, Rab," Isobet said. "They already have. It will take about three hundred Cathal solar turns for the monies to become available. Don't feel badly for them. Aloet System owes this to you."

"And I think you should live on Detuth until then," Sutter said, nodding.

Cope scoffed. "Detuth? They wouldn't want us."

"Detuth," Hops said. "Why would those butt-sniffing snobs take us?"

Jaunt snorted laughter.

"Because I'll tell them to," Sutter answered, his eyes sliding to Jaunt and narrowing, and then back to Hops. "I'm a Heklasi. Well, the Heklasi. The only one left, I mean. The planetary citizenship papers are already drawn up for everyone, and your children will naturalize, if that's what you want."

There was a long silence, everyone except Jaunt staring at him.

"A Heklasi," Rab said into that silence. "You own Detuth? The whole planet?"

Sutter weighed that, his eyes going up. "It isn't supposed to work that way, doc, and I don't technicallyown it, really, but yeah."

"Asshole," Jaunt muttered.

Isobet turned from where she was sitting on Sutter's left and made a face at him. "A Heklasi? You're not just a huntsman, but you're alsoroyalty? Like a prince?"

"That's true," Sutter said to her, nodding. "My full name is Prince Jona Sutterin Heklasi, to be completely accurate, although I've always gone by Sutter."

"Listen to you," Jaunt said. "Couldn't wait to tell everyone. You're such a prick."

"I fucking hate you," Sutter said to him. "Give me back my jacket."

"Why don't you try to take it from me, Jona?"

Sutter's nose flared, his lip curling. "Why would you survive Ohktan Minor? Why couldn't it be someone I liked?"

Jaunt leaned forward and pointed a finger in his face. "Me? The fact that you lived only fed into your narcissistic self-delusions of pompous grandfuckery, your royal hypocrite, like you're something special. You know what? Take your fucking jacket," Jaunt said, unzipping and beginning to pull it off.

"You keep it," Sutter sneered.

"I don't want anything from you," Jaunt said, still struggling out of it.

"I said keep it."

"Thanks, I will," Jaunt said, shrugging his shoulders and pulling it back on.

"You did that on purpose," Sutter accused.

"Yes. How old are you, Isobet?"

"I'm twenty-two," Isobet said, her eyes shifting between them.

"When did you turn twenty-two?" Sutter said, turning to her.

"I turned twenty-two the day you found me and put that tag in my hip," she said, her eyes narrowing, suddenly looking hostile, that flat stare.

"Youtagged Isobet?" Jaunt said. "Are you serious?"

"She was a target," Sutter said, gesturing at her.

Jaunt gave a small scoff. "He's such an asshole, you're lucky he didn't trigger it, Isobet."

"He did," Isobet said under her breath, but everyone heard what she said. All the eyes in the shuttle turned to Sutter.

"She was trying to throw herself off a cliff at the time," Sutter said, gesturing at her.

"Twice," Isobet sang under her breath, looking out the window.

There was a sharp silence.

"Sutter's too old for you," Jaunt said to Isobet. "I'm younger."

"By nine months," Sutter said.

"It's not a matter of degree, stupid, it's younger or older," Jaunt said.

Sutter turned to Rab and the other Nix. "In a Detuth year, you'll be able to go anywhere you like, but Detuth could use the Nix. We've got empty land and jobs we need filling. Our education system is free. I have already processed the paperwork for naturalization for you and your families, to be filed whenever you want, or not at all, if that's what you choose. When those funds are released, you're under no obligation to stay on Detuth, but you would be welcome there, and in the meantime, you and your families are invited to stay at my estate as my guests. There's lots of room."

12