All Comments on 'The Ideal Sex Scene?'

by ShadowWriterCa

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
coaster2coaster2over 16 years ago
My Sentiments Exactly

I've been trying to find the right way to write a sex scene since I started on this site and I'm still convinced I'm missing the mark. I think you're right about what I call the "clinical" or "technical" approach vs. the "Romantic" or what I think of as the "implied" approach. Hitchcock continually proved that "less is more" and the subtle approach could evoke more emotion than the head-on full-blast approach so common today.

I think your ideas are worth a try and the readers will decide how it turns out.

DanielOrmeDanielOrmeover 16 years ago
Excellent ideas

It's true, when simply describing a sex scene it can come across as just a recitation of body parts rubbing against each other. Much more effective (if you can manage it) to try and get across the sensations and feelings.

MichaelWestMichaelWestover 15 years ago
Head, Nail, Hit

I have many drafts of sexual encounters and all try to capture feeling from my perspective. I struggle to break beyond the mere factual and elicit the emotional as you describe. I offer that what is challenging is that we are forced to use words to create the images in the mind, images drawn from the reader's memory. I have erred on too much detail to complete the scene but try my best to leave something in those details for imagination to take over. I will keep working at it. Thanks for the challenge!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous