The Infinite Bk. 03 Ch. 04

Story Info
Noah discovers a new ability and new danger.
12.5k words
4.86
14k
29

Part 23 of the 56 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 01/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Omen

Noah knew it was going to be a hot day. The summer sun had risen and wasted no time in burning away the cushion of cool air from the previous night. The breeze had yet to kick up, leaving the air dead still and the rays of the sun frying the cadets like ants under a magnifying glass. Still, no complaints were allowed, as it was a distraction from training. At the moment, they needed to focus on getting their movements right.

"This is known as the Dance of the Ivunara, performed by elf warriors the night before battle in the Mortho Highlands," said Valia, moving slowly through the motions with the other cadets following along.

It was like a combination of yoga and tai chi, with every muscle being trained to form and maintain the different positions. Each cadet had their sword in their hand, though many were shaking from the continued effort. It was similar to Noah's regular workout routine, so he had no trouble following along.

"The sword you are holding, think of it not simply as an extension of your body. Think of it as a heart, one that pumps mana instead of blood. Feel the pulse. Feel the mana flowing through your veins to every part of your body. Most of you are right-handed, correct? Every time you move, every time to assume a stance, imagine a line of mana running from the tip of your sword and through your body, coming to an end at the big toe of your left foot. Feel that thread, like a bolt of lightning connecting the heavens and the earth.

Do not force the mana or gather it. Feel what is already flowing. Feel its intensity. Only when you are in tune with your body will it flow at its peak. You can't do this by simply tightening or relaxing your muscles, only by fitting them into place, ensuring they are all in harmony. Breathe in, feeling that energy flow from your hand and to your heart. Breathe out, letting it flow down to your foot.

No matter what pose you make, how tangled you may be, the mana flows, guided by your control. Fear, panic, and frustration bring it down to a trickle. Calm thoughts, focused breathing, and awareness of your body will let it rush like a great flood." They continued through the exercises. Many of the poses were battle stances, and the movements included slow-motion attacks, blocks, parries, and shifts. They gave all the cadets a sense of what later lessons would be like.

Finally, Valia gave the word to stop. "You all did well. Now that you've experienced the routine, we're going to do it another eight times."

"What?!" one cadet exclaimed, his voice slipping out before he could stop it.

Valia shot him a glance and let it slide. "That was only the basic dance. The next stage incorporates how you handle your sword and teaches you how to maintain awareness of its position in relation to different parts of your body. Left and right forearms, biceps, thighs, and calves; each routine will focus on one of those body parts, and the task is to hold your sword parallel to that part. We'll start with the left forearm. Your arm is one road, and your sword is the other, and while they point in the same direction, never shall they intersect.

Now, let's start from the top..."

They repeated the war dance, mirroring Valia's movements. By the fourth cycle, they had memorized the movements and could perform them without her instructions. She moved among the cadets, analyzing every detail of their performance and correcting any errors. It was most often the angle with which they held their sword, with many cadets still not understanding the concept of parallelism. It was sweaty, exhausting work, lasting for hours, and all released sighs of relief when Valia gave them the word to stop and rest. Sitting down on the ground was a privilege they were learning to appreciate.

"I can see you hatchlings all putting your strength into this. You make me proud. In a year, many of you will be on the front lines, facing the beastmen of Handent. That is where your strength and determination will matter most. How many of you have killed monsters to survive?" Noah and most of the other cadets raised their hands. "And how many of you have had to kill other people?" Several hands dropped. "I thought as much. Taking the life of another is something that no training can prepare you for. Once you have slain another person, you can never make it right. It is a weight that you will carry with you forever. It is the true weight of the sword in your hand.

No matter how much you train, how proficient you are in the art of the sword, until you have ended a life with your blade... until you have felt the fear of fighting for your life and made the choice to end another's... you will never be anything more than a child playing pretend. A sword that has not drawn blood is merely a display piece to be hung on the wall. To become a true master of the blade, or any weapon, is to weigh the value of human life, to devote yourself to the practice of killing.

You must feel everything, embrace everything; the guilt, the pain, the relief, the righteousness, the torrent of emotions that comes with taking a person's life. Strength does not come from locking these feelings away or dismissing the act you have committed. Heartlessness, cold-bloodedness, and indifference are merely a means of escaping your guilt, of avoiding the true cost of strength. Strength comes from living with them and moving forward, to feel the weight of every sin on your back and keep walking, keep wielding your blade."

'Hmmm, pretty words,' Noah thought.

Valia clapped her hands. "All right, that's enough philosophy. Time for you to resume your practice swings."

The cadets moved to the propped logs from the first class. Nine other classes of cadets had taken turns swinging at them, and the marks were starting to accumulate. However, it seemed very few people had managed to land a swing without their sword breaking. The scratches were many but shallow, with bits of glass embedded in the wood. Once more, the field was filled with the sound of wood being struck and glass breaking, with the cadets resigning themselves to tedium and frustration. Like before, Valia moved about the cadets, giving out pointers and noting what they did wrong and right.

"Remember the war dance, how you held your sword, how you stood, how you leaned, and how you moved."

She stopped by Noah, watching him swing his blade. He landed one out of every three hits successfully, the highest level in the class. "Cadet Noah, I was wondering if you had a chance to think over our discussion from earlier."

"Ma'am?"

"I'm your teacher. It's my job to know the thought processes of my students, especially when I'm trying to teach them something."

"Lady Zodiac, with all due respect, now is not the time for a friendship speech. Right now, would you rather I focus on the values of comradery or focus on perfecting my swing?"

"Something tells me you could come up with such a speech on the spot, but not because you actually changed your mind. Besides, I'm sure you can focus on both. You don't seem to have any trouble talking to me while you practice."

"What is this really about?"

"Excuse me?"

"I doubt you want to have the same conversation all over again just for the fun of it, or that this is purely due to your duties as a teacher. If you have something to ask, please just ask it."

She gave a small chuckle. "Being so presumptuous could lead to trouble."

'Is she really just toying with me?' Noah thought. "Speaking of trouble, I heard about that mess with Prince Seraph. I'm glad you weren't injured in his violent rampage. What exactly was it that got him so riled up? Oh, if only someone could have done something to prevent that horrible incident."

Valia flashed a wry smile. "Oh, you needn't worry about me. I have no trouble putting down arrogant cadets."

"Imagine how much easier life would be if you simply didn't have to. You could devote that time and effort to students who need your help rather than picking at me like a scab."

Nearby, a cadet had broken his sword for the umpteenth time, and from the loudness of his swears, he was starting to burn out. Valia sighed. "I'll allow you that one. Go on, keep practicing."

She walked away, and Noah resumed his swings in peace. The class eventually ended, but Valia approached Noah while the other cadets were heading inside. "You owe me--what did you call it again--a friendship speech?"

"I would prefer we talk about your speech from earlier. I liked it."

"You did? Good."

"I'm just curious as to if you still believed it."

Valia lost her smile. "Excuse me?"

"Your words were fitting for us cadets. With the brief time we have, we must find balance within ourselves to live on the battlefield."

"To live by the sword is to live on its razor edge, teetering over madness. Lean too far one way, and we become swallowed by grief and guilt. Lean too far the other way, and we kill our souls and emotions to become living embodiments of the cold steel we wield. I've seen too many promising warriors go down those paths. I'm trying to make sure it doesn't happen to any of you."

"That balance only has to last us until we die in battle or fall out of service. It's something a warrior can live by. At least, a human warrior. But for you, that mindset is just a temporary measure, isn't it? You tell us to draw strength from our guilt, to find resolve in the fact that there is no going back, but there is a limit to the sins we can carry before they lose all meaning and individuality. Memories and consequences can't follow you forever."

"'Even the greatest mountain can only bear so much snow before the inevitable avalanche.' Is that what you're trying to say? You think that because I am immortal, I've lost the ability to feel remorse the way humans do. You aren't the first person to make this mistake about the elves. To feel the weight of a human life, to know what it is worth, even if I am ending it, keeps me tied to the moment. To see value in people is what allows me to live among them."

"So you do have to remind yourself, right? You know what it's like to force yourself to feel guilt, to add meaning to the lives of your victims, even if they were already doomed to live a short life. How much effort does it take? Just how hard is it for you to live among people?"

"I'm starting to take offense, cadet. You have something you want to say to me?"

"My apologies, I meant no offense. I was simply curious as to how elves see the world. I have no prejudices against you."

She looked at him quizzically. "You are dismissed, cadet."

----------

"Welcome back, everyone. I hope these past seven days were fruitful for you," said Sir Elyot, addressing Noah and the rest of the class. "Each of you should have recorded a spell from the library and tested it yourself. For those of you who forgot, I have samples you may use, though I hope you are better prepared next time. We'll go around the room. I'll call your name, and I want you to demonstrate the spell you've picked."

One by one, he went down through the list, with each cadet given a chance to show off their magic. They were all minor spells, such as lighting a candle, filling a cup with water, making a stone levitate, and other basic techniques. Noah's name was never called. How strange, he felt himself becoming a bit jealous. Hopefully, his inability to wield crafted magic could be mended. At least he was able to use magical items.

"Now that you've all selected a spell, you're going to begin learning how to alter it. Heed my words: this is a dangerous practice if you don't know what you are doing. Before we can even begin, you need to understand the risks. Spells grow and change over time, adopting a new runic sequence with each alteration. There can be hundreds of different versions of a single spell, each with a unique magic circle. Since spells are always changing of their own accord, it should be easy to change them through runecrafting, right? Wrong. Intuitive magic balances itself out, but runecrafting requires you to make the precise calculations on your own.

What happens when you activate a spell with an unbalanced sequence? You."

He pointed to a cadet who looked like he was about to fall asleep. The young man bolted up in his chair and stuttered. "Uh... uh... it won't work?"

"Correct. Since spells are contracts with the gods, the gods can refuse to activate spells if the contracts are uneven. If you try to activate a spell and it doesn't work, then the contract isn't properly fulfilled and requires alteration. When nothing happens, it means something is wrong, and you need to check your work.

If you try to force a spell to work after it has already failed, then things become dangerous, as the incomplete spell will add a condition or result that you were not prepared for. Countless warriors and spellcasters have suffered horrendous bodily damage in battle, not from their enemies, but because they forced a spell to activate when they didn't have sufficient mana. The more powerful the spell and the greater the imbalance, the more radical the result. It's possible for negative effects to be long-lasting, resulting in curses." Sir Elyot took a piece of parchment, inscribed with runes, and hung it up on the board behind him. "This is the light spell I showed you last time. However, I have intentionally miswritten it. Focus on this blank space here at the end." He placed his hand on the parchment. "Illuminate."

Like he said, the spell did not activate, and no magic circle was produced. However, he kept at it, and a radiant magic circle appeared around his hand, lighting up the room. All the cadets kept their eyes focused on the parchment, and several gasped in surprise when new runes appeared at the end of the sequence, in the blank space Sir Elyot mentioned. It looked like they were being burned into the parchment by a branding iron, and in seconds, the parchment burst into flames.

"As you can see, even if the spell is unbalanced, the runes, once written, will not change. Instead, new runes will be added to balance it. I had written an insufficient amount of mana as payment, and even if I tried to add more, that part of the spell could not be altered, so the spell balanced itself by adding the condition of the parchment's destruction, when under normal circumstances, it would have received little damage. Now, imagine that happening to you because you wrote the contract incorrectly."

The cadets collectively swallowed the lumps in their throats.

"To properly alter a spell, you need to study how the various conditions interact with each other." He took a piece of charcoal and wrote the illumination spell on the board, this time in its proper form. "If you alter one end of the contract even slightly, then you have to rewrite the other end to balance it. Changing one component can alter countless others, and changing those components to compensate can alter even more components. It is a tedious, frustrating process, but it's either that or take the risk and let the spell balance itself out.

To begin with, let's go over how mana is measured..."

Sir Elyot went on with his lesson, with the cadets taking notes, minus Noah. Instead, he used his clone to simply mimic the act while reading a book. After all the time he spent in the library, none of this information was new to him. Even if he made them himself, magic items would only take him so far. He needed to learn proper runecrafting, or else he might never get the answers he needed.

'Could it be that I'm simply incapable of using anything but illusion magic? Wait a second...'

He closed his invisible book, stowed it in his bag, and then turned to his laid-out parchment and ink. He wrote out the Light Finger spell and quietly cast it. He felt his clone spell come undone as if his clothes were being ripped away. His mana was cannibalized, and his finger, hidden under his desk, was now glowing.

'So, my clone takes the form of the spell, just like when I impersonated that Harajin. This isn't real holy energy I'm producing, merely the visual mimicry of it. Interesting.'

He found a new avenue of study.

----------

The summer months passed, mostly incident-free for Noah. He successfully avoided the two troublesome princes and had managed to stay out of the limelight after his fight with Valia. He was old news, meaning he could relax a little, and he wasn't the only one. The mood of the academy had steadily changed over the days and weeks, now lacking the excitement and anxiety that many wide-eyed recruits had when they first passed through those doors, as well as the complaints of aching bodies and exhausting lessons. They had gotten accustomed to academy life and now had more of a sense of what the rest of the year would be like, both the good and the bad. However, they were surprised by the lesson awaiting them.

It was morning, shield training class, but they weren't gathering in the field. Noah and the cadets had been led out of the academy and into the Colbrand slums, flooded with autumn fog. It was a sea of shabby houses and tents, large enough to already be called its own town and sticking to Colbrand like a deformed vestigial twin. The city repairs were almost completed, but unsurprisingly, the royal palace wasn't in a rush to replace the shantytown, at least not yet. Most of the inhabitants had been driven out by the flames of the Red Revelries and never returned, making it a great training ground.

Sir Kiev faced the cadets and cleared his throat. "Attention!" Everyone stood ready, having grown used to his shouting. He was the trainer for both shield and hand-to-hand combat, as the two styles frequently overlapped. "As you can all see here, the Red Revelries have exacted an enormous toll on our city, and next year might be even worse. The academy and His Royal Highness have decided that you will take part in their suppression next year, as your final trial before achieving knighthood. In preparation, you will be training here.

In this exercise, four of you will take on the role of enemies on the run through the city, and the rest of the class will try to capture them. Once all four are arrested, another set will be chosen, and the exercise starts all over again. Not only will this train you to capture revelers and criminals, but it will also prepare you for if you ever end up behind enemy lines. Before arriving here, you were each given a length of rope. Once a cadet has their hands tied, they are considered captured. This will be live combat, hand-to-hand and magic only, and runners must only fight when they are cornered. The focus is escape, not confrontation."

This came as a shock to most of the cadets. Until now, the cadets had never been allowed to fight one another. Though they were training to be knights, the academy banned sparring matches of all kinds until further notice. It seemed that necessity had bought them the privilege early.

Sir Kiev then pointed to Noah and three other cadets. "You're up first. I'll give you a head start of only a few seconds, so I suggest you not waste them. All of you get ready, and keep in mind that entering or damaging the buildings or getting civilians involved will earn you strict punishment." Noah and the other three cadets moved away from the rest of the class, and everyone removed their weapons. Sir Kiev raised his hand. "Go!"

Noah took off, sprinting into the slums. Moments later, he heard the rest of the cadets given the order to pursue and the thumping of their footfalls. He and the three others split up, each going their own way through the maze of charred huts. The rest of the class was likewise fanning out to search the most expansive area they could and flush Noah and the others out. Noah zoomed through the muddy roads and alleys, trying to cover as much distance as he could. In the distance, he could hear the cadets shouting at each other, calling for backup when on the trail of a runner.