The Infinite Bk. 03 Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Despite the situation, the use of magic would have been boring. He wanted to enjoy the game. When he felt that he had traveled far enough, he came to a stop and sat down on a tree stump to wait. In the distance, he heard two of the other runners get caught, to the cheering of their classmates. It wouldn't be long until Noah was the focus of their attention. His attention, however, was directed to three cats he saw walking in a line nearby. Above his head, another two cats were walking across the hovel roofs, heading in the same direction.

Whatever they were heading to had to be more interesting than simply sitting around, waiting to be noticed. Noah got up and decided to follow them. He was the caboose in the train of felines, and they paid him no heed, caring only about reaching their destination. He could hear more cats up ahead, mewling and growling at each other, and arrived at their destination. They gathered around a summoning circle in a burnt-out shack, where a mouse was materializing out of thin air.

In this world, the population of every species was maintained through this wild magic. Bugs, plants, animals, and even monsters would simply appear when their numbers got too low. On the one hand, it made monster hunting a very secure and lucrative business. On the other hand, it was another danger that people had to be wary of when choosing places to build settlements. Colbrand's location wasn't dictated just by access to the sea and rivers. The area didn't produce any creatures that were a threat to people.

Over time, it seemed that the local cats had learned of this location for a consistent meal. At least, depending on which of them caught it. As soon as the mouse finished materializing and took its first step, the fastest among the cats closed in and grabbed it, only to be tackled by the second-fastest cat, with the third-fastest cat further interrupting. All the cats soon consolidated into a moving ball of fur and fangs, each one fighting for the mouse.

"Campers," Noah muttered as he moved past them.

Over the months, he had been experimenting with his imitation magic, creating illusionary versions of other spells. Their practical uses were limited, but he was always looking for new techniques to add to his repertoire. He crouched down to examine the magic circle, but it was already gone, and there was no reaction when he tried channeling his mana into the spot. Summoning was one of the least understood magics, as it was rare to be observed for any length of time, despite how often it occurred.

The lack of a reaction was disappointing, but there was still hope. If he could capture a spawned mouse, maybe he could replicate it the same way he replicated people. Unfortunately, the cats had left him with nothing. He stepped back out into the open street and drew a line in the dirt with his foot, marking the position of the shadow of a nearby shack. If the spawning circle happened daily, it would likely be when the shadow reached that spot.

"There he is!"

A cadet had wandered over and spotted him, with the rest closing in. The race was reignited, now with the whole class focused squarely on him. He ran through the shantytown, dodging the cadets popping out of every alley and open lane, grabbing at him like energetic zombies. They'd gang up on him, launching punches and kicks and some firing spells in his direction. He'd deflect and redirect their simple attacks with flicks of his hand and dodge the spells closing in. Sir Kiev said that runners were supposed to focus on escape over fighting, so he didn't retaliate or throw any counters. The exception was to trip his attackers or even use them as human shields. More than one cadet ended up getting hit with fireballs on his account.

The class soon realized that he was the fastest runner among them, and those who had forgotten his fight with Lady Zodiac were being reminded of his skill as they attacked him like a wave, only to end up on the ground without even being hit. The morning sun moved across the sky, but still, the cadets could not catch him, and fatigue was taking its toll. Despite their daily training, they could only chase after him for so long. Many were dropping like flies, forced to rest while those with any remaining strength would keep up the chase, if only in the hopes of tiring him out for their recuperating comrades to finish the hunt.

Finally, when the sun approached midday, a loud whistle echoed over the slums from Sir Kiev. The lesson was finished, and it was time for everyone to return. For Noah, it was a relief. It had been a fun class, but any longer and he would have been running on fumes. He and the rest of the cadets walked back to the starting point where Kiev was waiting.

"Good game, everyone," said Noah. The others weren't in such a good mood.

"Slippery bastard."

"He's inhuman."

"Had to be magic."

They muttered their complaints, but he had avoided hurting anyone too seriously, so there were no hard feelings.

"I must admit, I am rather conflicted," said Kiev. "I don't know whether to praise your abilities for escape or criticize your skill in running away. As for the rest of you, this is a glaring mark of failure. We were supposed to repeat this exercise several times today, but you all failed to complete it once. You'll be running extra laps tomorrow morning as punishment."

'Ah fuck,' Noah thought to himself. He was exempt from punishment, but he could feel the angry glares of the rest of his class on his back.

That evening, all of the cadets returned to their dorms and the barracks and were enjoying the brief time between dinner and lights-out. Noah was lying on his cot and scribbling runic formulas in a book with a charcoal pencil. It was cheap parchment for notes and practice spells, but always one to cover his tracks, he wrote his thoughts and findings in Spanish, a language no one on the planet would be able to read. He saved all of his most vital discoveries in a more fitting grimoire.

Nearby, Gideon and Foley were playing a card game. Their deck was made from the scales of a sea serpent monster, hunted just south of Colbrand, and inscribed with runes in place of numbers. The game followed the basic poker formula of wagers made over different card combinations, and while the nobles in their dorms would gamble real money, most of the cadets were simple commoners and used stones, acorns, and other debris in place of chips.

Farther down the line of cots, the other cadets tossed around rumors and stories and took jabs at each other. It was the standard horseplay that Noah was used to hearing in barracks and locker rooms across the multiverse. He listened in, gathering information. Since enrolling, he steadily grew a rapport among the cadets, just shy of being on a first-name basis. Blending into these environments was second nature to him. He'd stay just isolated enough to avoid drawing attention, but not so isolated as to be labeled an outsider. Conversations were rarely started by or with him, but he could slip into others without it disrupting the flow.

"Hey, did you hear? Crown Prince Lupin took the beastman city of Welindar!"

The announcement came from one of the Thuln brothers, a trio of idiots with no sense of volume control.

Noah turned away from his book to focus on the news. He had heard rumors of the famous prince. He was first in line for the throne and was regarded as a brilliant strategist, earning numerous accomplishments in Uther's war of expansion. Unlike Seraph and Galvin, he was well-liked and respected.

"Seriously? They've been under siege for years," said Ken Rilgis, one of the cadets from Noah's sword class. The lands of Handent, to the west and north of Uther, were a vast collection of beastman tribes and city-states. Welindar was a decisive victory, but only a fraction of Handent had been conquered after years of fighting.

"It's true. He's returning to Colbrand, and they're hosting a gala in his honor. They say his knights even killed a basilisk kept by the beastman king!"

The cadets voiced their shock and disbelief, and even Noah found himself interested. Basilisks were among the rarest of monsters, as well as the deadliest. When he was in Clive, Noah had encountered a couple rare monsters; a hobgoblin with warrior magic and a sledgepaw bear the size of a minivan. Fearsome as they were, they were considered small fry next to a basilisk.

"Imagine the booze they have at those noble parties. I heard it's like drinking stars," said Foley.

"Do you think we'd be allowed to attend? We're practically knights, after all." He was Higgins, the wonder boy, in that everyone wondered how he could be so fat with all the daily training.

"We're just cadets, merchandise without any value," said Gideon.

"I can't wait to join the knighthood. I've wanted to go to noble parties all my life."

"Shut it, Piggins," said one cadet.

"Don't call me that!"

----------

Over the next several days, the academy was abuzz with rumors about the gala. Cadets belonging to the upper nobility bragged about their invitations, while those hoping to climb the social ladder would do whatever they could to be considered an added guest. The following "Saturday", he left the academy and returned to the slums. He found his way back to the summoning circle, yet to activate, but already surrounded by cats. It took more than gentle shooing to get them to leave, and some refused to give up without a fight.

The circle activated, and a holographic mouse appeared in the center, beginning the process of materialization. Noah cast his clone spell and placed one hand in the circle, channeling his mana into it. He felt it, his clone peeling away from him and being reshaped over his other hand, taking the form of the magic circle and the mouse. Noah's heart skipped a beat, and excitement rushed through him like a sweet drug. This was a new sensation from using his clone or mimicking an elemental spell. He could feel his control over the faux mouse, able to move it with just a thought.

The actual mouse materialized, and Noah grabbed it before it could escape. The magic circle had disappeared, but Noah was able to keep his own spell going, holding a physical mouse in one hand and an illusory one in the other. He had the fake mouse jump off the hand and scurry off, giving Noah a chance to practice with moving it. As soon as it was out in the open, all the loitering cats pounced, each trying to grab their meal, only to be surprised as it passed right through them. Noah continued this chase, teasing the cats with this magical laser pointer. After a while, he released the spell, then once more channeled his mana into the mouse, making the copy reappear with the corresponding magic circle.

This wasn't the first time he had tried to mimic animals, but it was his first success. The only conclusion he could come up with was the magic circle. Like a living spell, the mouse was born from magic, so he wasn't simply copying the mouse but the summoning formula. The spell itself was the key, serving as a route for his mana. However, he couldn't carry a live mouse in his pocket just in case he wanted to use a spell, so there was only one option.

He painlessly ended the mouse's life and cast the spell once more. To his luck, it reactivated. Was this happiness? Some tiny part of him wanted to jump up and down like a child on Christmas. It even thanked the mouse for its sacrifice. Noah proceeded to remove the slain rodent's hide and once more managed to activate the spell. To mimic animals, he seemed to need a sample of a specimen summoned from a magic circle. Good thing he was in the city.

He left the slums and headed for the marketplace, where leather, bones, and other monster pieces were being sold for whatever reason a buyer might need. He went from shop to shop, checking as many segments of different animals as he could. Fortunately, the most hunted monsters had the most spawned members, and every time he touched a piece, Noah would channel in his magic and get a reaction.

Not every reaction was positive, though. It seemed for larger animals, especially rare summons like sledgepaw bears, he'd receive a nauseating sensation, telling him that he lacked the mana capacity to mimic them. He remembered it happening the first time he tried to summon his clone when he came to this world. All it meant was that he'd be able to cast them later with a little more training. For now, he could only summon animals around his size or smaller, but that was enough. He eventually returned to the academy with a bag full of monster materials.

The gala was scheduled for "Sunday" evening, so Noah made his usual trip to the Knight's Sheath the following day. Upon entering, he spotted Lucius behind the counter. Instead of saying anything, he nodded his head towards the stairs. Whenever Noah came to the Knight's Sheath, his first order of business would be to speak to Madam Cyrilo, so Lucius was giving him the go-ahead.

"Come in, dear," Cyrilo said when he knocked on her door.

Upon entering, he found himself face to face with Daniel, wearing the gaudy outfit of a noble. The shirt was stuffy and ornately colored, same as the pants, though they fit tightly below the knee. He had a cape over one shoulder and a large hat with a long, colorful feather.

"Nice leggings," Noah said.

"Fuck, I knew it!" Daniel said as he ripped off the hat and threw it on the bed behind him, where a mountain of clothes had been stacked up.

"I take it the two of you are going to the royal ball?" Noah asked Cyrilo, sitting on the nearby table in her cat form.

"Indeed. I never miss an event like this, and the palace requested that Daniel here provide the music."

"Nothing too hardcore, I trust?"

"Yeah, can you believe this shit? They don't even want lyrics. They just want me to sit in the corner and strum easy tunes."

"He's just fussy because we can't find an outfit that works. For some reason, he has a problem with the normal fashion. Honestly, it's like dressing a toddler."

"Look at this! If you once told me that I'd wear a cape while playing for an audience, I would be stoked as hell, but this isn't what I had in mind! Right now, all I want to do is kick my own ass."

"Don't be such a diva. Anyway, this is a stroke of luck for me. I came to ask if I could borrow some clothes for the event."

"You have an invitation?"

"No, but it's not like that'll stop me."

"Well feel free to pick something out. Just make sure you don't spill anything on them."

Noah picked out some black trousers, a vest, a jacket, a white shirt underneath, and a thin scarf to form a faux three-piece suit. It wasn't quite a prom tuxedo, but it was something Noah was used to wearing, and he liked how it came out.

"How well would you say this fits into the normal fashion? I don't want to stand out."

"It's a getup I haven't seen before, but that should do nicely. You look very handsome," said Cyrilo.

"Damn it, why didn't I think of doing a suit?" Daniel sighed.

"You WISH you could pull this off," said Noah as he straightened the sleeves.

"Great, just great. You go in there looking like young 007, while I look like Marco fucking Polo."

"Noah, do me a favor and slap him for me."

They then heard a soft tap on the door, followed by a menacing voice. "Daaaarliiiiing! I know you're in there!"

Cyrilo turned to Noah. "Do not let her ruin those clothes!"

----------

That evening, a long row of carriages rolled up to the royal palace, varying in extravagance from virtuous modesty to blatant profligacy. Security was tight, but the soldiers and knights on duty worked fast so as not to inconvenience their guests. They were all unaware of Noah walking past them and entering the palace. The festivities were taking part in the grand hall of the palace, a massive cathedral-like space in which music and conversation bounced off the walls and raised ceiling like wine swishing in a glass. Among those standing guard, in their freshly polished and decorated armor, were statues of warriors and kings from ages past, with their legacies on display in the grand tapestries hanging on the walls.

All the nobles, dressed in their finest clothes and jewelry, had their arrival announced. Noah did his best to stick names to faces and tuck them into his memory, hoping that these people could be useful to him in the future. If not holding a drink, many men clutched decorated gonlief pipes in between their ringed fingers. Moving through the crowds, Noah tried to avoid the clouds of smoke, which seemed to be having an intimate affair with the thick perfumes the women wore. Like all affairs, walking in on it was uncomfortable. For such a regal party, this was an assault on the senses.

He remembered Alexis telling him how nobles would bring their accomplished children to these gatherings, and it rang true. Everyone here either had something to brag about. Experience in battle, possession of land, flourishing business, notoriety as a scholar, and every other subject of conversation was embroidered. Right now, it was the knight cadets that were the talk of the town. Noah spotted some familiar faces beaming smugly as their parents painted them as the future saviors of the nation.

He saw Daniel near the wall, looking less like a rock star with a guitar and more like a Renaissance fair cosplayer with a lute. He was doing his best, playing chords to match the hoity-toity atmosphere, but he was clearly more used to performing for audiences drunk on beer instead of brandy. Despite his lack of enthusiasm, his music still drew a crowd, and partygoers would pair off to waltz, or whatever the Utheric equivalent was.

Alexis stood out, looking exceptionally beautiful in a red gown and drawing many young men to her side, all inviting her to dance. For the sake of manners, she hid her scowl of disdain, but her misery was evident. She kept moving around the hall, trying to shake them off like a swarm of mosquitoes. As soon as she'd stop, they'd be on her once more, pitching woos and selling themselves. It was hard to watch, and finally, Noah decided to intervene.

She paused at a table laden with food to grab some hors d'oeuvres laced with garlic. The noble sons once more began to circle, but Noah got beside her before they could move in.

"Noah, what are you doing here?" she asked, taken back by his sudden appearance.

"Can't talk right now; I need your help. I'm trying to avoid someone; would you mind dancing with me so they'll stay away?"

"Uh, very well."

To the annoyance of the wannabe suitors, Noah led Alexis by the hand to the dance floor, and they joined the other couples.

"So, who are you trying to avoid?" she asked. "Not a spurned lover, I hope."

"That was just a lie. You looked like you needed saving back there, but I wasn't sure you'd accept my help if I offered."

She sighed in annoyance. "Tricky bastard."

"Pick one, and the rest will leave you alone. It's as simple as that. At least with me, you won't get felt up. Anyway, I'm surprised to see you here. I thought you hated these events."

"I do, but for now, I still have some family obligations. What about you? It doesn't seem like this would interest you."

"I came to listen in on the noble gossip."

"So you're eavesdropping."

"Eavesdropping makes it sound personal. I'm just covertly gathering information on the political and socioeconomic status of the country."

"Oh yes, that's SO much better."

"If I could read it in a book, I'd be back at the academy."

She seemed both annoyed and amused. "What have you heard so far?"

"Things are looking rather troublesome. The ripples caused by the Red Revelries have yet to settle. Everyone here seems to have taken some kind of hit and they're blaming the king. See the guy over my right shoulder? Bald with a big mustache?"