The Infinite Bk. 03 Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alexis sighed angrily. "Did you miss the part where the commandant said that participation in a duel is mandatory?"

"No, but I must have missed what the actual punishment is. The way I see it, until I'm actually face-to-face with a figure of authority and personally handed an ultimatum to duel, I don't have to do it. I'm still waiting to hear what the consequences are, and a loss of my honor doesn't really cut it."

"I thought you were better than that."

"Well, I'm not, and for someone who so vehemently opposes living as a noble, you sure care a lot about how people think of you."

"That's because I'm joining the knighthood to make things better, to change the system on the inside, and I can't do that as an outcast! I want to be a hero to the people, like Lady Zodiac."

"Lady Zodiac didn't kill that ogre tribe or rescue that boat full of slaves. Historians will never know that a disobedient girl, an outcast, stole a family antique and got people killed to fulfill her own definition of justice. So tell me something, what was more important back then? Honor or results? Believe me when I say that sometimes an outcast willing to dirty their hands can get more done than a hero who worries about opinions."

Alexis shifted through several expressions, each befitting of a rejected response before she could even speak it. She finally took a deep, exhausted breath. "Why did you even come to the academy? To the knighthood?"

"The same reason you did, as the means to an end."

After lunch, Noah's next class was history, the history of Uther and the surrounding countries. Unfortunately, these lands passed through the possession of so many ethnic groups and city-states that getting a clear, consistent record was difficult. It was no surprise that the line between history and mythology was almost nonexistent. Many archives were written by elves who had not witnessed the actual events but simply recorded the rumors and stories they heard. Still, Noah found it fascinating.

"Under the rule of King Jord III, the dwarven nation of Vandheim expanded northwards, often coming into conflict with the human-descended beastmen tribes who lived in the Ashok Mountains. It was in year 278 of the Second Dynasty that a peace treaty was struck between Vandheim and the various tribes, known as the Tiefedel Offemmil, otherwise known as the Pact of the Deep Gem and Open Sky, in which everything on the ground belonged to the beastmen, and everything below the ground belonged to the dwarves. Now, in this war..."

The professor, an old man with a long white beard, continued to talk, with Noah being the only cadet paying attention, though he was glad to get out of class when it finally ended. Usually, he'd go to the library after his final class and continue his research, but today, he went out to the training fields, where the first rounds of duels were happening. Most of the other cadets had the same idea and gathered to watch the fights. Many teachers were present to officiate the matches and looked upon the pairs of duelists in the cleared fields. Noah spotted Valia presiding over Gideon and Sorn, and she was explaining the rules.

"The fighting will not begin until I say so, and should I give the order, you will disengage, and it will end. This is not a fight to the death, and should your opponent surrender, any attacks will be regarded as unwarranted assaults and get you kicked out of the academy and possibly even arrested for murder. You are each free to use one academy weapon and any low-level spells, so long as they do not kill your opponent, damage the academy, or injure any spectators. If you continue to use a spell that I have banned, you will be disqualified. Have you settled on a challenger's payment?"

"The silver coin, I guess. He doesn't have anything else I want," said Sorn, holding a staff. Technically, it was an academy spear, meaning it didn't have a blade. Gideon instead had a glass sword.

"Very well, take your positions." Gideon and Sorn faced each other, twenty feet apart with their weapons ready. Valia raised her hand. "Now, begin!"

Gideon made the first move, and to everyone's surprise, he threw his sword aside and charged towards Sorn to fight barehanded. He jumped, a well-practiced move, and swung at Sorn with a wide kick. Sorn tried to block with his spear, something Noah already knew was a mistake after fighting Gideon on enrollment day. Gideon's leg broke through Sorn's defense like a wrecking ball, possessing a strength that the shield lessons had yet to prepare the cadets for. Sorn was knocked to the ground but rolled back onto his feet and swung at Gideon. He spun his staff around his hands from side to side to widen his defense and boost his speed with the building momentum.

His lunges, fast but repetitive, failed to land any hits on Gideon. He managed to sidestep out of the way each time, then closed in and stopped Sorn's staff with his leg like a proverbial monkey wrench. He forced the spear out of the way and connected with a solid punch to Sorn's chin, sending him sprawling back. Gideon didn't give him any time to rest and closed the distance to bombard Sorn with concussive blows. When Sorn finally fell to the ground, Valia gave the announcement.

"That's enough! The winner of the duel is Cadet Gideon!"

Gideon didn't seem very enthusiastic about his victory, while Sorn, beaten and bloody, had to be carried to the infirmary. Several of the spectating nobles looked uneasy, as they were next on the chopping block. Having all been challenged, one was forced out of the herd, like a decoy to distract a predator.

"And you are?" Valia asked.

"C-cadet M-Michaelson!" he stuttered fearfully. "I was challenged as well."

"Then you're up next. And Cadet Gideon?" Gideon turned to her. "If you don't want to use a weapon, fine, but if I ever see you throw your sword away like that again, I'll tan your hide."

"Yes, ma'am."

The second duel started and ended even faster than the first. Gideon's moves were quick and powerful, showing years of training and experience. These were the techniques of someone who had taken numerous lives with his bare hands. The third duel went the same, ending with a broken arm. Gideon was on a winning streak, and it was all going on the record.

Noah spotted Alexis going at it in another field with Ken Rilgis, one of the cadets from his sword class. They were doing surprisingly well, considering they were using glass blades. There was hesitation in every move, both fighters checking, double-checking, and triple-checking their grips before they engaged. They maintained their distance from each other, attacking only with the very tips of their blades so that even if they broke, the loss would be minimized, and they could continue the fight. Many other duelists were using the same strategy, as while the glass sword was the most common weapon in the academy, it was the hardest to use.

Second in difficulty were the bows. When the duel began, it became a race between the archer drawing, nocking, and shooting an arrow, and the melee cadet charging with their close-range weapon. An impact to the head or chest would end the duel. Noah watched the archers bounce around, trying to stay out of their opponents' range while they desperately shot their arrows.

Like arrows, spells were also flying back and forth from the cadets specializing in magic. They were all nonlethal and low-tier, but they had their uses. He spotted one girl shooting balls of water from her hand like they were water balloons, and while they couldn't inflict harm, getting hit in the face made for an excellent distraction. Other mages used similar spells of their elements, such as launching blasts of soil that would blind and discombobulate, or small charges of lighting that shocked like tasers. A low-level fire spell wasn't enough to set someone ablaze or cause severe burns, but eyebrows were a frequent casualty.

As the duels continued, more and more cadets began challenging each other. Watching these gladiators raise their scores made the bystanders crave their own dose of adrenaline. Soon, it became not a matter of honor but raising one's points. That changed with a flash of light and a cry of pain. Noah caught it just barely in his peripheral vision and heard the shocked mutterings of the onlookers, as well as Sir Brume yelling.

"What were you thinking, using an attack like that?! Only low-level spells are allowed!"

Seraph was the cause, standing with his hand outstretched and a smirk on his face. On the other side of the ring, a cadet lay sprawled out like roadkill, barely breathing.

"That was low-level for me. It's not my fault that I'm surrounded by weak little rats. Maybe this academy needs to be more selective in who it lets in."

Noah didn't need to see the attack to know what happened. By the look of the cadet, he had been hit with a blast of holy energy. Noah had experienced it before and had no desire to get a second dose. It created a burning sensation like being in a microwave oven, attacking pain receptors without damaging the body while also depleting the victim's mana. It was no surprise the cadet was knocked out cold.

'That ought to shut up the Thuln brothers.'

"So, who's next? Someone give me a real fight!" There were too many people around for Noah to use his invisibility, and he was spotted. "You! You finally manned up! How much longer were you going to make me wait? Sir Brume, I challenge Cadet Noah to a duel."

All eyes turned to Noah. 'Ugh, I should have just gone to the library.' "Do you really have nothing better to do than bother me? Go read a goddamn book for a change."

"You will not speak blasphemy in my presence! Answer the duel!" Other duels were paused, participants and spectators alike drawn to the raised voices.

"Cadet Noah, a challenge has been made. You must fight, or you will be expelled from the academy," said Sir Brume.

"Very well, I answer the challenge. However, under the proxy clause of the aristocrats' rules of dueling, I can have someone stand in for me and fight on my behalf."

Immediate confusion, he could see it on everyone's faces. Since when was this a rule? They were right to be skeptical, as it was a bluff. He had no idea if such a rule existed, but it was something the instructors would have to look up before they could allow the match. At the very least, it could buy him another day.

"No, I don't accept that! I want to fight you and you only!"

"He has a point, Cadet Noah. While it is true that members of nobility can use proxies, cadets, even of the knighthood, cannot."

"I'm not nobility, but he is, so he has the right to battle by proxy. As a fellow cadet, it's only fair that I have that same right if I duel him. Instead of that privilege being revoked, I simply want it to be shared."

It was enough to leave Sir Brume silent in thought.

"This is bullshit! He has to fight me himself!"

"If my proxy wins, they get the credit, but if they lose, I take the demerit. Either way, a fight is had, and the duel registry gets a new entry."

Before Brume could respond, the evening horn was blown. It was time for dinner.

"We'll settle this matter later. All current duels are suspended until tomorrow!" he hollered to the cadets. Noah had kicked the can down the road once again.

The crowds were dispersed, and Seraph just narrowly bottled his rage. The cadets and staff migrated to the mess hall, and once again, Noah was subjected to the sour expression on Alexis's face.

"Please tell me I misheard you back there. Battle by proxy?"

"A noble society couldn't allow dueling without some way to weasel out of fights. Your family must have done stuff like this plenty of times."

"That's the problem! Of all the shameless things...!"

"Are you interested or not?"

The wind left her sails. "Excuse me?"

"I know that you want to break Galvin's nose, but would you settle for knocking Seraph off his mental throne? If you win, all the prestige is yours, and if you lose, I'm the only one to suffer the consequences. When will an opportunity like this come again?"

"You can't be serious. Are you asking me to fight your battle for you?"

"No, I'm offering you the chance to call dibs. Seraph blasting that other cadet will probably thin the list, but I'm sure there are plenty others who want to fight him. After giving me such a hard time, hopefully at least one of the Thuln brothers will have the guts to put his money where his mouth is. I'm not asking you to fight, I don't expect you to fight, and you are not obligated to fight. I'm simply giving you an opportunity."

"Even if it can happen between nobility, what makes you think they'll let it happen here? We're all combatants, so there is no excuse for us not to fight."

"True, the academy probably omitted that rule, but if I show up tomorrow with a proxy all ready to go, that may be enough to sway them. Once there is precedence, it could become official, and others will start doing it. Think of it as me adding a twist to the game. So, do you want to fight him or not? I'll even let you make the winning request."

She rolled her head and sighed. "You can keep the request. Just having it on record is enough for me. I'll do it."

That night, everyone in the barracks seemed to be in the mood to bitch at Noah. First, he refused a duel, and now he was trying to use a proxy? It was downright shameful. That said, their voices were nothing he couldn't drown out. He just kept reading, and when someone tried to take the book from his hands, a punch to the balls or a jab to the throat taught them the error of their ways and scared everyone else off.

"Let me be your proxy." The suggestion came from Gideon.

"Excuse me?"

"Unlike you, I never turn down a challenge or run away from a fight, and I don't like the idea of being used to help you escape your responsibilities, but I do like the idea of taking a crack at the prince."

"Sorry, but the position has been filled. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your willingness. If you're interested, you can be my proxy the next time I get challenged."

Gideon groaned in annoyance. "Damn."

"Just challenge the prince yourself."

"I can't afford the challenger payment. I don't have to worry about losing to those noble kids, but with the prince... even I have to hedge my bets."

"Is there a reason why you immediately went after them?"

"It's common sense to hate the nobles, is it not?"

Noah shrugged. "Fair enough."

The next evening, all the cadets gathered at the dueling field to watch the fight. Noah arrived with Alexis beside him, while on the other side of the ring stood Seraph. Sir Brume was mediating as before.

"I have decided to allow the proxy battle. Cadet Noah, who will be standing in?"

"I am Cadet Alexis Veres, sir, and I shall fight this battle on Cadet Noah's behalf."

"You're really going to hide behind a woman? Pathetic! Cowards like you don't belong in this academy!" Seraph scoffed.

Alexis looked to Noah and found him unperturbed by the taunt.

"And the challenger payment?"

"If Alexis wins, I get Seraph's room for the rest of the year, and he takes my place in the barracks."

"It's not up to you. You lost your right to decide the challenger payment when you picked a proxy," said Seraph.

"This is correct. The challenged cannot demand victory payment if they do not fight their own battle. However, the proxy can," said Brume.

"Then that is my request as well. If I win, you give Noah what he wants. Beating the ego out of you is all the reward I need."

"You always were an unrepentant bitch. You can't go after my brother, so you decide to be a pain in my ass."

"And you can't go after Lady Zodiac, so you decide to be a pain in mine," Noah said, further irritating the prince.

"That is enough, all of you. Cadet Veres, Cadet Albion, take your positions."

Alexis and Seraph faced each other, and before the match could begin, Noah held out an academy bow and a quiver of arrows to Alexis.

"Here, take it. It'll serve you better than that sword."

"I don't need your help, and I certainly don't need a bow. I told you, as long as I'm here, I'll devote myself to the blade."

"I've seen how hard you practice your swordplay. You swing for hours until your hands bleed, all so you can use the basics of Lady Zodiac's style. I admire your determination, but the bow is where your talent and skill really lie. Stop holding yourself back."

"Just go stand over there and look pretty," she said.

Noah stepped back, and Sir Brume raised his hand. "Now, begin!"

Alexis and Seraph charged towards each other with their battle cries, and their blades met in a great collision. Neither blade broke or even chipped despite the force, truly putting the protective enchantments to the test. Again and again, they lunged for each other, and their attacks canceled out, the two combatants raising their speed with every exchange. At the moment, they appeared to be on equal ground. Alexis was fighting remarkably well, displaying the muscle memory accrued from countless hours of training. She probably studied harder than anyone else at the academy when it came to the sword, though that could only get her so far.

Seraph's ego, while annoying, wasn't entirely unwarranted. His stance and moves showed an overabundance of talent, and try as Alexis might, she was slowly being pushed back. Noah had seen first-hand how well she fought against physically stronger opponents, but blood-drunk ogres were a far cry from the skilled prince. He watched closely, studying all of Seraph's movements. It was quite likely he'd end up fighting the prince one day, so he had to collect all the information he could and plan countermeasures. Hopefully, Alexis would last long enough for his weaknesses to be revealed.

She altered her strategy, backing off out of his range and trying to flank him. She was fast and light on her feet, bouncing around like a king across a checkerboard. Seraph would turn back and forth to fend her off, narrowly blocking and avoiding swings from outside his peripheral vision. The glass swords were just sharp enough to break the skin, and if she could draw first blood, victory would be hers.

'So close! Just a little more!' she thought.

Those thoughts were forcefully ended as a gold radiance shrouded Seraph. Alexis remembered seeing it when he went mad against Lady Zodiac. It was full-body monk and paladin magic, augmenting all of his abilities. This was precisely what Noah had been concerned with, and his concerns proved correct. Seraph closed the distance with Alexis and struck her with the back of his hand. She was knocked through the air and hit the ground like a crash test dummy. Everyone watching was left in stunned silence.

"Now you finally know your place," Seraph laughed. "I have been blessed by the Light, chosen by God, and a back-talking quim like yourself can never overcome that!"

"That's enough! This duel is--"

"No!" Alexis shouted, cutting off Sir Brume. She slowly got to her feet with blood trickling from her mouth and her cheek beginning to swell and discolor. "I'm not done yet."

'Attagirl,' Noah thought.

She picked up her sword and charged. Her speed and steadiness were remarkable, and she unleashed a hurricane of slashes on Seraph. Alight with mana, he dodged all of her attacks as if they were coming in slow motion. He sidestepped each one with ease, not even needing to block. Still, Alexis maintained her composure. She was determined, but not blinded by rage like she was when she faced Galvin, and finally, her sword met his, because she had aimed for it.

She continued her barrage, focusing all of her attacks on Seraph's sword rather than Seraph himself. Since they were using glass blades, breaking was expected and wouldn't usually end the duel, but if she snapped it at the hilt, that was another matter. Even though she couldn't best Seraph in his current condition, she refused to let victory float beyond her reach.