The Infinite Bk. 03 Ch. 05

Story Info
Noah shirks his responsibility.
11.5k words
4.88
12.6k
26

Part 24 of the 56 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 01/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Score

Every week, Noah and the other cadets were put through the revelry exercise, and each time, a different class would take place in the slums. Word of Noah's agility had reached the teachers, so he was always picked to be a runner, and unlike in Sir Kiev's class, he and his fellow cadets were armed. He spent the frosty mornings and dark afternoons running among the shacks and dodging his pursuers. He had maintained his winning streak so far, but the margin was shrinking. The cadets became more accustomed to the environment and tactics with each passing week.

Today had been his archery class, and his usual bad luck with arrows had decided to rear its ugly head. Just like the academy's spears, the arrows had blunt ends, but the pain of being shot was on par with a paintball, and he had already accumulated several bruises by the time class ended. He was glad to finally return to the academy, more so when he reached the bathhouse. He wanted badly to soak his bruises and head to dinner, but he was stopped before he could reach the door.

Five cadets clustered in front of him, three he recognized from the barracks and two from the mid-level dorms. All five of them had nervous looks, sheepish.

"Hey, Noah, we hear you're a pretty sneaky guy," the apparent leader said.

Noah was hesitant to reply. "In what regards precisely?"

"The runner drill, you're uncatchable. Everyone knows it," one claimed.

"That's why we need your help with something."

"Something that can only be spoken of quietly? That should be your first clue not to ask."

"Listen, we have a golden opportunity, something that might interest you. You know that closet around the corner from the women's baths?"

"I think I know where you're going with this..."

"The back wall isn't actually a wall. It's a door leading to a hidden passage that runs behind the bathhouse wall. Some of the stones in the wall of the women's bath aren't actually stones. Supposedly, they're special windows that you can look through if you're behind them. We're about to give it a shot. We figured you could help us out."

"Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to pass. You guys have fun."

They seemed disheartened, and one of them even got defensive. "You're not going to rat us out, are you?"

"I don't care personally or morally enough to do that. Now, if you don't mind, I have some bruises that are crying for hot water."

They scurried off, and Noah made his way to the men's baths, but his hand stopped before he could open the door. An idea had just popped into his mind. True, ratting on them wouldn't be very entertaining, but sabotaging them would be. He usually abstained from these things, but he couldn't ignore such an easy justification. He cast his invisibility and went after the five cadets, finding them in the aforementioned closet. To his surprise, the passage did exist. The sidewalls of the closet were stone and brick, just like the rest of the academy, but the back wall was wood, and they had busted through into a hidden compartment that ran the length of the women's bath.

He could hear them in the dark, whispering and complaining that they couldn't see anything. Standing outside, Noah reached into a pouch on his belt and pulled out a small book. He flipped it open to a particular page, where a snakeskin had been glued to the paper. It belonged to the blue viper, a snake commonly found further out west and known for its loud warnings, extreme aggression, and horrifying venom. It was the perfect field test. He summoned an illusionary serpent with the skin and piloted it into the hidden passage. Getting it to hiss like a real snake was the tricky part, but the five cadets got a bigger thrill than they expected.

Meanwhile, in the women's bath, Alexis had just gotten comfortable and was lucky enough to be joined by Sophia.

"I heard we're having fish stew tonight," said Alexis.

"Ugh, I hate fish stew. Either it tastes terrible, or it's nothing but bones."

"I know, right? How do they mess up fish that bad? They only use maybe four ingredients, and it somehow tastes the exact opposite of fish."

"It's not even fish. It's like boar testicles soaking in goblin blood."

"It's mushy barnacles seasoned with the tears of children."

"It was probably concocted as a way to torture prisoners."

"I bet that stew was mentioned in someone's suicide note."

"Marauders eat it before a raid to kill their conscience. It's... Wait, did you hear that?" Alexis asked.

"Hear what?"

"I thought I heard a noise. It was coming from--"

THUMP!

Both of them heard it, coming from the nearby wall. It was followed by a third and fourth and even the sounds of muffled voices. As it continued, the other women in the baths began to notice, especially when the voices turned into outright screaming and the wall itself began to shake. Many instinctively grabbed towels to cover themselves, a wise choice, as the wall finally crumbled from a poorly-executed spell and the five cadets tumbled in.

One of them, Cadet Higgins, looked up and found himself the recipient of countless angry glares. "There uh... there was a snake..." he stuttered.

----------

Autumn had progressed around the academy, and this morning was more than a little frosty, making it unpleasant for the cadets who had to stand at attention. Normally, they'd be running laps, and at that moment, many wished it was just a typical day. The entire academy was observing the five cadets, tied shirtless to logs staked into the ground. They could be seen shivering from both the cold and their fear.

With sunlight now a valuable commodity, Commandant Ford didn't waste any time. "You five cadets have been found guilty of the crime of voyeurism, as well as damaging academy property. You have shamed yourselves, your families, and this institution, and will each be punished with fifteen lashes. Be grateful I don't expel you after. Sir Kiev, if you would please..."

Sir Kiev stepped forward with a bucket of water and moved behind the first cadet, crying and begging for mercy. He reached into the water and pulled out a leather whip, soaked for an extra sharp strike. He swung the cord, and everyone winced. CRACK! The young man's back was slashed to the sound of his anguished cries. The second strike came before he could catch his breath, once more causing all of the cadets watching to tense up.

Third, fourth, fifth, they came and raised the volume of the cadet's shouts, only to drop as he lost the strength to react. After the fifteenth, Sir Kiev handed out the punishment to the next cadet, and so on to the rest. Higgins, or rather "Piggins" as many called him, released a fitting squeal when he was struck. Eventually, the whip was put away, and the five cadets were untied now with bloody backs. Their wounds were covered to prevent infection, but they were denied healing magic or potions, as well as exemption from classes.

The rest of the cadets were more than happy to be able to finally head to the mess hall, even though most of them had lost their appetites. Throughout breakfast, everyone was either extra talkative or extra quiet. The five cadets, still recovering from their wounds, ate together in an isolated corner of the mess hall, as no one wanted to be associated with them. Today, everyone had something on their mind, including Alexis.

"Hey, Noah, you have that weird magic that lets you... disappear, right?" It was rare to see her nervous like this.

"I become invisible, but yes."

"You haven't ever..."

"Committed the crime of voyeurism? No, I haven't." He answered nonchalantly and continued to eat, but it didn't quite put her at ease.

"I have a hard time believing any man with that ability wouldn't... use it for that."

Noah glanced at her as though looking over the rims of a pair of glasses. "Alexis, I don't need to spy. If I want to see the women here naked, I can just get them naked. Though we'd have to do in their rooms, as I certainly couldn't take them back to the barracks."

"Good God," she groaned.

"Hey, you asked. But maybe you're right; maybe I am wasting my talent. Thanks for giving me the idea."

"All right, sorry for asking."

"No, I'm serious. Leave a chair out for me where I'll have the best view of everyone."

Before she could tell him off, Sir Kiev entered the hall. "Cadets, stand at attention for the commandant!"

'What now?' Noah and the others thought as they got to their feet. They stood with perfect posture as Commandant Ford appeared from behind Kiev. He began walking through the hall, silently scrutinizing the cadets.

"Considering what you all witnessed outside, I had considered postponing this announcement for another day when your minds were clear. However, perhaps now is the best time to speak to you about honor. You have all made it through the summer months, which is no small feat. If it was, then I would not be doing my job. I see you carry your weapons proudly and understand the burdens of skill they demand. Think of your weapons as your rewards, for now that each of you is armed and somewhat capable, you are entitled to a special privilege: dueling.

For those of you who don't know, every member of the knighthood is inducted into the dueling registry. It is an archive of official battles that is available to the public, meaning that anyone, commoner or noble, can find out how many victories or defeats you've experienced. It will be the foundation of your reputation as a knight.

Dueling may be used to settle disputes of honor and insult, which will also be recorded. Losing as the challenger is far worse than losing as the challenged, so think carefully before issuing one. Along with losing prestige, defeated challengers must fulfill one request of the winner, agreed upon by both parties before the match, but the standard challenger payment is a silver coin.

As cadets, you can only wager what physically belongs to you on academy grounds, so no demands of land or family favors, nor can you challenge another cadet simply because they have something you want. All duels must be officiated by an impartial knight one rank above yourselves. We teachers will fulfill that role and provide you with the rest of the rules. You can only duel in the hours before dinner, and challenges cannot be made during your lessons. Once challenged, participation is mandatory. To declare a duel is a decision that can affect the livelihoods of the participants and their families. Do not be hasty in how you wield this power. Good day."

He departed, and the cadets returned to their seats, briefly silent until several linked together into a gossiping hivemind. Rather than sitting back at his table, Gideon remained standing. He strolled over to a group of nobles and pointed at one, whom Noah recognized from his sword class as Sorn Highroar. "You, I challenge you to a duel. We'll fight today."

"I don't even know who you are!" the young man replied.

"Just call me Gideon." He then glared at the other nobles. "After him, the rest of you are next."

Now that the ice was broken, a few other cadets started to get up and cross the room to begin issuing challenges. Only the challenged could make winning requests, but the honor and boost to one's standing were worth the risk for many.

Noah turned to Alexis. "I had a feeling they'd implement something like this. Hopefully, things don't get too bloody from here on out." Alexis didn't respond, staring down at her own balled fists before getting to her feet. "I suggest you sit back down."

He said it gently, but she still turned to him with a harsh glare. "Excuse me?" she asked without her teeth parting.

"You want to go after that prince, right? I'm sure you have your reasons, but think about what you could win versus what you could lose if you challenge him. Dueling is going to create ripples in everything here at the academy. You should study the flow before you dive in. Take your time and wait for your moment."

Once breakfast was over, Noah brought his empty tray and dishes back to the kitchen, but when he turned around, he found himself face to face with Prince Seraph.

"Cadet Noah, I challenge you to a duel. I'm going to prove to everyone that I'm the better warrior!"

Numerous challenges had already been made, but it was Seraph's that drew all the cadets' attention in the mess hall. Their eyes were on Noah, awaiting his response.

"No."

He put his tray down and walked away. Seraph stormed over and grabbed him by the shoulder. "You don't get to say no! You've been challenged, and you will fight!"

Noah brushed his hand away. "Sorry, but I have things to do. Go play with someone else."

The surrounding cadets exchanged looks of confusion and disgust as Noah continued walking.

"You can't just walk away!"

"And yet I am, isn't that strange? Some evil spell must be at work here, moving my legs when all reason says I should be standing still!"

"Coward! You have no honor!"

"You're right, I don't, but good for you for figuring it out. Really, amazing deduction skills. Isn't that right, folks? Come on, let's all give Prince Seraph a round of applause!" He began loudly clapping his hands while heading for the door. "So incredible! So brilliant! You really are the greatest!"

He passed through the mess hall doors, and Seraph chased after him, only to find an empty corridor. Having watched the exchange, Alexis heard a malicious voice behind her.

"My, my, your friend has no honor whatsoever." She spun around to face Prince Galvin, smirking just like every other time they met. Behind him was Sophia, carrying hers and his bags like a proper servant, much to Alexis's anger. "I had heard such stories about how he went head to head with Lady Zodiac, but it seems it was just a fluke, or more likely, a cheat."

"You would know all about cheating, wouldn't you? When was the last time you ever won something honestly? Without your mother helping you?" she hissed.

"Oh, are you trying to bait me into challenging you to a duel? That's just the kind of thing I would expect you to do. You're always so violent and brutish."

"You insult my friend and then accuse me of--!"

He laughed her off. "Take it easy; you're making a scene. I just wanted to let you know that if you want to challenge me, I'm ready whenever you are." He then stepped closer so that only she would hear him, close enough that Alexis was sorely tempted to spit in his face. "But whatever you do to me, I'll do to her, ten times worse."

Alexis's stomach was twisted into knots, and her chest was filling with mud, but her hands burned with the flames of her rage, unsure of whether they wanted to beat him to death, strangle the life from him, or gouge out his eyes. She looked at Sophia, saw her hopelessness, and almost gave in to her bloodlust, but her love shook her head, warning her to stop. Alexis gritted her teeth, feeling like she was going to retch, and with all her strength, she turned around and walked away.

'I'm so sorry, Sophia. This is all my fault.'

----------

Shield class. It was the most hated part of the week for many, while others found it somewhat comforting. When they weren't studying techniques, all the cadets had to work together to dig a giant pit, with each class taking turns expanding it. The rules were that the depth and diameter had to always be the same and that they could use nothing but their shields to dig with. They were shaped like shovelheads, with a strong handle and a leather arm strap.

Every cadet would have to punch the bottom or the sides of the pit to break up the hard clay with the tip of their shield, pile on the dirt, and then carry it out to be dumped onto the growing pile. After months of digging, it could hold as much water as an Olympic swimming pool. Luckily, they enjoyed the seasonal butter zone, where the summer sun no longer baked their backs, but nights weren't cold enough to freeze the ground.

It was filthy, sweaty, exhausting, and painful work, and everyone fought to ignore the fact that they'd just end up filling the pit back in at the end of the year. To distract themselves, the cadets would gossip whenever they could, and of course, the main subject was Noah's refusal to duel the prince. However, watching over them was Sir Kiev, making sure no one slacked off. He was quick to yell at anyone talking or resting too much.

Noah had found a way to avoid his wrath and was taking a break while his clone did his job for him. Since it was only an illusion, it couldn't actually break up the earth or carry it, but it could convincingly mimic the movements and sounds. Every now and then, he'd work for real and haul up some dirt for the sake of appearances. He sat in the shade, invisible, trying to meditate while everyone else worked. Meditation helped restore his mana.

"All right, that's enough digging for now. Back to training," Kiev barked.

This was his typical lesson plan. He'd have the cadets dig until they were sore and exhausted, then pair off and pit them against each other, with and without shields. They'd stand in circles ten feet in diameter and fight just like in the enrollment brawl, trying to knock each other out of the ring. If they were barehanded, they'd duke it out with punches and kicks, using the styles and moves that Kiev taught them. If they had shields, they'd take turns slamming into each other's defenses, trying to force their opponent back rather than cause harm. What had initially been so easy at the start of the year was now taking more and more effort as the cadets figured out their footing and how to properly brace themselves.

Like everyone else, Noah was happy to arrive at the bathhouse after class, but it was not as peaceful as he hoped it would be.

"What are you doing, turning down a challenge from the prince?!"

"Ungrateful bastard, I'd give my right arm for the opportunity! The challenger payment is too good to ignore!"

"This is going to make us all in the barracks look bad!"

The complaining came from the three Thuln brothers, stupid and noisy as always. They were usually easy to avoid since they could be heard from a mile away, but now they had Noah cornered and were bombarding him with their full-volume gripes. He ignored them, never even making eye contact as he changed out of his uniform and headed into one of the baths.

All around him, cadets were talking about duels, and few people were paying any attention to Noah, at least beyond shooting him dirty looks. That changed when Seraph entered and spotted him.

"You! You owe me a duel! I'm not going to stop until I've beaten you."

Noah sighed. "Look, Prince, maybe a bathhouse isn't the best place to challenge men to swordfight." The room's acoustics worked to Noah's advantage, and in seconds, loud snickering was bouncing off the walls from countless cadets.

"You think you're so smart? You're nothing more than a court jester but without the backbone," Seraph growled.

"You want to be the greatest warrior? Fine, I hereby acknowledge you as the greatest warrior. You are superior to me in every way, oh mighty prince. May no one ever again question your supremacy. If you write it down, I'll even sign it. Are you happy now? Everyone here is a witness to your eternal glory."

"Don't you patronize me! I'm going to grind you into the dirt!"

"No, you're not." Noah stood up and grabbed a towel. "I'm not interested in being a prop for you to indulge your ego. If you want to fight someone, go stomp on the Thuln brothers."

After his trip to the bathhouse, he met Alexis for lunch, only to find her in a sour mood.

"Why didn't you accept the challenge?" she asked coldly.

"Not you too."

"There is no honor in running from a fight."

"Honor doesn't pay your debts, fill your belly, or keep you warm at night. That shit just gets you killed."