The Infinite Bk. 04 Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So that's druidism, the magic for controlling plants," said Noah.

"Almost all elves in Sylphtoria wield it to some degree," said Valia. "Like beastmen, they worship the spirits of nature. It lets them control and manipulate plants for offense, defense, and everything else. When the elves combine their power, they can turn the forest into one giant weapon. No army of any race has been able to conquer this elven kingdom, because no army has ever made it through the wilderness. They also share the mages' faith in the gods, and elven history is rife with legends about great warlocks and paladins."

Noah and Valia waited there for some time. Though they possessed patience, their horses did not and began to get annoyed.

"This could take a while. Let's dismount," said Valia.

"Good idea."

Noah's leg hadn't gotten worse while traveling, but it hadn't gotten better, and while he could at least get off a saddle, the buried arrowhead turned walking into a painful challenge. As beautiful as the city was, it made him grimace in dread. Still, Valia was there to help him with every step, always offering him her shoulder. Finally, they sat down at the fountain's edge and took the chance to relax.

"I'm sorry you're getting such a cold shoulder here," she said.

"Ah, this is nothing. A long time ago, I was born into the Brusnian people, an ethnic group that unfortunately found itself under the oppression of the Zangadese people. We were forced to live in ghettos and suffered from daily violence. Just about every woman I knew had been raped on multiple occasions, and men came home bloody almost every day. Even I lost some fingers and an eye before my tenth birthday, and you know how good I am in a fight."

"That sounds awful."

"Well, what really bothered me was how lazy the slurs were. I mean, come on, put some comedic effort into it. So one way I managed to avoid trouble when I was cornered was to come up with offensive jokes about Brusnians, because no one will beat you up if you can make them laugh, and I was sick of the Zangs slacking off."

"You have a very strange view of oppression."

"Not taking things personally is easy when you're just a tourist."

"Don't worry; the elves aren't that hateful, just stubborn. Since we live forever, we prize peace and stability over everything. The elves of our island were the same as here. They liked things to be boring and uneventful. They enjoyed living in ruts, where centuries could pass, and nothing of interest happens. Valon and I are rather unusual in that case, because after we lost our home, we decided to travel and see the world. We could have stayed here or some other elf settlement, but we wanted to see what excitement and adventure awaited us."

"I can understand their desire. I never had that luxury. Human life is too quick and chaotic to find such long-lasting tranquility. Things always change."

"Well, elves have very low birthrates, and since we age so slowly and die so rarely--from natural causes, at least--new ideas and beliefs have a hard time taking root. That's one thing I like about humans. Their culture changes so quickly; it's always interesting."

"True, but it also means that humanity keeps forgetting important lessons and has to learn them over and over again. It's no wonder the elves dislike humans when it seems like there is always a new generation that has to be taught to leave this forest alone and..." Noah trailed off and then stifled three sneezes. Typically, he didn't suffer from allergies, but the Anorvan Forest's pollen disagreed with him. Its abundance made the elves' clean clothes all the more impressive.

They continued to wait while ignoring the strange looks they were receiving. Eventually, night fell, and they set up camp and tended to their horses. The night was warm, and they had plenty of food to fuel their patience. Overhead, the elven city transformed as countless lights appeared in the darkness. Bioluminescent flowers lit up the bridges and walkways, glowing like blue candles.

"Damn. Now that is a view," Noah said, gazing up at the twilight city with a content smile.

"Wait, do you hear them?" Valia asked.

It was gentle initially, but Noah picked up several overlapping voices, singing an unknown melody. Though he couldn't understand the words, they sent a shiver up his spine. There, he could see them, elves scattered across the city, walking in white cloaks and continuing the mesmerizing chant.

"What is that?" asked Noah.

"They are the Nadoku, the night singers. It's a prayer for strength and protection, an aria for our ancestors, and a magical ward against evil. It occurs every evening, a ritual going back over a thousand years."

It wasn't just an ordinary prayer; Noah could sense a great deal of holy energy infused with the air, ancient and powerful. Reminded of Daniel's music, Noah activated his illusion spells, but struggled to maintain them as he listened to the elvish choir.

"I think I just heard your ancestor's name. Tsyrfil, was it?"

"That's right. The humans know Valon and me as the Zodiac twins due to our magic, but our real last name is Tsyrfil. The dark elf clan is descended from a legendary Enochian warrior, and slayer of dragons who was scorched from head to toe in one of his greatest battles. Dragon fire has unique properties, burning with mystic strength and setting stone, metal, and even water ablaze like a summer forest. Even after he healed, his flesh remained blackened by the flames, something we, his descendants inherited.

Some believe the tone of our skin is a testament to the lingering power of the dragon's flames, while others say it's a visual indicator of our ancestor's powerful vitality. The dark elf clan is greatly respected for this legacy, though after the loss of our island, there are few of us still alive."

Finally, someone came for them. He was a young man, in appearance at least. Elves didn't age at the same rate and were known to remain in different life stages for disproportionally long periods. He looked younger than Valia, but could have been twice her age. His robes, made of finer cloth than any noble's from Colbrand, were immaculately clean, as if the forest didn't exist. It was concerning that he was flanked by four elves in polished armor, with their hands resting on the hilts of their sheathed swords.

"Lady Valia, Sir Noah, I am Lour, chancellor and advisor to Queen Elisandra."

Noah removed his hat, and he and Valia bowed their heads while extending their hands as though inviting him to dance. "Si nar lunta soltra ect uun vibiro lam," they both said. It was an elvish greeting Valia coached Noah on. Translated, it meant 'may the sun and moon shine ever bright on your House, High Elf.'

Their words failed to warm his frosty demeanor, but his breathing showed some relief. "Her Royal Majesty has granted your request for an audience. However, the hour is late, and you are in no condition to see her after days of travel. Lodging has been prepared, so you may rest for tonight and make yourselves presentable to see her tomorrow."

"Thank you, Lord Lour," Noah and Valia said with grateful bows of their heads.

Lour returned the bow. "Your horses will be looked after. Now please follow me."

Noah got to his feet, and Valia helped him walk. They followed the elves up a spiraling walkway winding around one of the trees, beginning their climb into the city. They passed by numerous night singers, continuing their chant without a second glance.

"Lady Valia, according to Izan, you two are not here on orders of Uther's king, correct?" Lour asked without turning his head.

"That's right. We are searching for my twin brother, Valon. Though my oaths bind me to Uther, I cannot stand by while my only kin needs me."

"And you, Sir Noah?"

"She seeks to help him, and I hope he can help me, so I shall help her. We come here as free agents, acting under no will but our own." Noah then grimaced from the pain in his leg. Each step was getting more intense, and he struggled to block it out. Valia noticed his discomfort.

"How much farther is it? My companion is hurt."

"We're almost there. I was told you have an arrowhead stuck in your leg?"

Noah's first instinct was to lie about the wound, but that option was gone. "Yes, that's right."

"My, how unfortunate," he said dryly, still without looking at them.

They arrived at a dwelling shaped into the tree itself.

"I'll be here to collect you both tomorrow morning. Remain here until then."

"Thank you," Noah and Valia replied.

"You surrendered your weapons before coming here, correct? I'm afraid I must also take your ring, Lady Valia. I know of the enchantment it carries, and I cannot allow you to wear it until we are sure you and your companion are trustworthy."

Valia handed the ring over, and Lour and the elven soldiers promptly left. Noah and Valia released their held breath and stepped inside. It resembled a studio apartment, with a simple cooking area, some sparse furniture, and a pair of beds for them to sleep. There seemed to be another room further in the back. Luminescent flowers grew out of the walls, and the bedroom had a beautiful view of the city. Usually, Noah would immediately check for traps or peepholes, but he decided to give the elves the benefit of the doubt.

"Do you think they gave us the room with the double beds on purpose?" Noah pondered.

"It wouldn't surprise me. They will be watching this place all night to ensure we don't sneak off. Anyway, you take a seat and rest. I'm going to freshen up."

"Gladly."

She sat Noah down on one of the beds, and he released a sigh of relief while rubbing his leg. His thigh was swollen from the arrowhead damaging and irritating the surrounding tissue. Luckily, he still had his ring, and a healing potion eased the inflammation and dulled the pain. Looking around, he found clean clothes folded on the other bed for him and Valia.

Valia had disappeared into the back room, but she eventually returned, soaking wet and wrapped in a towel. "Ah, much better."

"What were you just doing?"

"I told you, freshening up. That's right, you don't know about elven showers. Come here; I'll show you."

She brought him to a chamber in the back, which served as a bathroom. There was an alcove in the far wall, which Noah realized was a shower stall. The stall floor had spongey moss, while stringier moss hung from the ceiling like thick grass, each strand dripping water.

"The water pours down onto you from above, coming directly from the tree itself. The moss on the floor collects it and returns the water to the tree. So go on, enjoy."

The water was lukewarm, but Noah still took his time to enjoy it and scrub off the varnish of travel. He eventually hobbled out and sat down on his bed, dripping wet.

"So what should we do about your leg?" Valia asked.

"Amputation."

"Don't joke."

"I'm not. I want you to slice off my leg." Noah pointed to a spot on his thigh. "Cut right here. If you do it just right, the arrowhead will be exposed, and we can remove it. Then we simply reattach my leg with either magic or a healing potion."

"You're awfully calm with this."

"I have experience in this kind of thing."

"Of course, you would have experience."

"A long time ago, I was mountain climbing up the slopes of a place called Everest. It was the tallest mountain in the world, and countless people had died trying to reach the summit just for the thrill of it. Unfortunately, it had also been climbed so many times that it was little more than a tourist trap. There might as well have been toll booths. Still, I figured I might as well cross it off my list of things to do.

Things went well until I got about halfway up, where I got caught in an avalanche and suffered a little mishap. A boulder crushed my leg, and I was pinned. I weighed my options, trying to determine the chances of someone discovering me in time, and thought up ways to try and dislodge the boulder.

Anyway, night was falling, and I had to cut off my foot. No one was coming for me, and I'd freeze to death if I stayed exposed on the ground like that. I first considered killing myself, just tying off that life and jumping to the next one, but I was curious to see if I could do it and survive."

"You're telling me you cut your foot off out of curiosity?"

"Well, luckily, it was just my foot. If it were above the knee, I wouldn't have bothered and just slit my throat. Anyway, I bound my leg with a tourniquet, nice and tight, bit down on my collar, and went to work with my knife. The thing is, once you start cutting, you can't allow yourself to stop, because it's so much harder to start again. You have to do it with one big breath.

Getting through the bones in my shin was the worst part. They hadn't broken at the same places, so I had to even them out with a rock. And did I mention how cold it was? My blood was freezing before it even hit the ground. The drops just bounced like red hailstones. Once my foot was severed, and the wound was bandaged, I made camp and managed to survive the night. As for getting back down the mountain? That's a whole other story."

"I'm sure you have some blades in your ring that can get the job done, but since Lour knows about your wound, he will get suspicious if you're better by tomorrow."

"I don't suppose I could just fake a limp, could I? I've done it before."

"I think it would be best to wait. I'm not too keen on dismembering you."

"I can't promise that won't change."

The two of them laughed, and Valia flashed Noah a dreamy smile, her face lit dimly by the flowers, while outside, the music of the night singers echoed.

"I can safely say, Noah, that I have never met anyone like you, and traveling with you has been the best time I've had since Valon left. To have someone by my side is a true comfort."

"I just hope you weren't doing the same things with him that you do with me."

Valia gave a terse giggle. "Oh please, we aren't like those Purin elves of the Sorkam Mountains. My brother and I are close, not THAT close."

"When we find him, what will you do? Is there any chance of returning to Colbrand?"

"After everything he's done, I don't think he'll ever be welcome there. I just hope it's possible to fix him, to heal his mind and give him back his sanity."

"I'll do what I can to help. I don't know if the damage can ever be undone, but I'll try to bring back whatever of the old Valon remains."

"I know you will. I have faith in you. And I'll do what I can to help you."

Noah gazed at her. "Help me find the answer to my curse, right?"

"Of course, but I also want to help you remember the splendors of life."

"I know the splendors of life better than you do."

"But then why do they scare you so?"

"Because I have lived them all. I have lived for everything and have nothing left to live for. Family, homeland, faith, friends, everything that drives humanity forward, I have lived for their sake, persevered in their name."

Valia sat next to him and caressed his cheek. "But you haven't given up. You told me once that you are trying to do better, to be better. I see you trying to rekindle the flames of your soul because you still wish for that warmth and light. I have faith in you, because I know you still have faith in yourself."

She leaned forward, and they shared a tender kiss, and Valia slowly pushed Noah onto his back.

"With my leg like this, there isn't much I can do."

"Leave everything to me. You can rest, Noah."

They made love slowly and gently. There were no loud moans or lewd profanities, just soft shivering breaths and whimpers of euphoria. After finishing simultaneously, they lay back on Noah's bed, holding each other. The bed was small, but they didn't mind being close, and with the night singers' hymn serving as a lullaby, they drifted off into a pleasant slumber.

Morning eventually came, chilling the air with predawn fog. The gray curtain swirled around the trees like mountain clouds while the forest waited for the lazy sun to claw its way out from behind the horizon. The birds were chirping in an echoing chorus, slowly drawing the elves from the world of dreams. A handful of early risers moved across the bridges and walkways, performing morning chores and rituals.

As the sunlight poured into their room, Noah stirred, finding himself held in Valia's embrace, with his face pressed to her chest. Immersed in softness and warmth, Noah closed his eyes and drifted back to sleep. They remained like that for a while, Valia refusing to let Noah go. Try as he might to move, her slender arms contained frightening strength. The heat of the summer morning was causing them both to sweat, and Valia, at last, woke up. She giggled when she realized how tight she was holding him.

"Good morning," she said, relaxing her arms.

"Good morning," he replied as he kissed her silky-smooth skin.

She sat up and stretched, and Noah savored the sight of the morning sun shining on her naked body. "There is no telling when Lour will come here, so we should make ourselves ready."

They got dressed in their new clothes, now looking like regular citizens of Sylphtoria, and made breakfast. The kitchen area had a small stove for heating and cooking, and rather than firewood, the fuel was lumps of compacted plant matter, dried and crushed to mimic coal. They made a pot of tea and ate the fruits and vegetables the elves had given them. They even had bread and cheese.

They were clearly under some surveillance, because as soon as they finished eating, Lour appeared outside with several soldiers. "Lady Valia, Sir Noah, the queen will see you now," he said without even poking his head inside. Valia and Noah stepped outside, and each bid Lour a good morning in the form of an elvish greeting. Like the night before, he hid his feelings behind an expressionless mask. "Come with me."

Noah donned his hat, and he and Valia followed Lour and the soldiers higher up into the trees, through long-winding passages and across grand arches stretching over breathtaking abysses. Like before, Valia was helping Noah walk, but a few morphine pills taken during breakfast also provided some much-needed aid.

They climbed higher up into the foliage, at last arriving at a mansion protruding from the sea of leaves. Ancient trees interwove into a pyramidal structure, but with perforated sides, like a bird cage, exposing the structure's inner workings to the elements. There were no rooms or walls, only platforms resembling leaves on a stem, with various furniture sets and stairways between them.

Elven soldiers stood guard at the entrance, and Lour brought Noah and Valia inside. Upon entering, Noah removed his hat and felt a shift in the air. It was unnaturally still, unaffected by the winds blowing over the trees. This palace was a microclimate, using windows made of mana instead of glass to control the temperature. They were led up a central flight of stairs and finally brought face-to-face with the queen, sitting upon her throne and wearing an elegant crown.

She was a beauty that made even Noah's eyes widen. Porcelain skin, hair like gold threads, eyes green as the forest canopy, and an endowed figure all came together to produce perfection. The morning sun seemed to illuminate her with favoritism, giving her a divine aura. But, more than that, her mana was vast and potent. Noah, still in the process of training his spirit senses, could feel her immense power, so far above ordinary people's.

She was flanked by her royal guard, garbed in the finest-quality armor Noah had ever seen. Their eyes were glued to him, looking for any reason to cut him down.

"Your Majesty, I present to you Lady Valia and Sir Noah of Uther. Knights, you stand before Queen Elisandra of Sylphtoria. Thank whatever gods you worship for this blessing," said Lour.