The Infinite Bk. 04 Ch. 03

Story Info
Noah and Valia reach the kingdom of the elves.
12.5k words
4.89
9.2k
26

Part 34 of the 56 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 01/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Within the Trees

Over the next few days, the countryside became infested with knights and soldiers, all recruited from local lords to assist in Noah and Valia's capture. They could never hope to arrest them on their own, but their horns and drums thundered across the landscape, so drawing the attention of one drew the attention of all. However, there was a need to stop at the next village. On the sixth day since their fight with the knights, they set up camp beyond its outskirts.

Hiding in a spit of forest, Valia was tending to the horses. All the sneaking around, back-tracking, and chases had stressed them out, so she was pampering them with treats and a good brushing. She turned around as Noah appeared, seemingly materializing out of thin air with a bag over his shoulder.

"I'm back."

"Did you get me something good?"

"Elven silk, just as you asked," he replied, handing her the bags.

She reached inside and joyfully revealed a white shirt of the highest quality of fabric.

"Perfect, thank you. I hope you got something for yourself. Considering the state you were left in from that battle, a wardrobe change isn't even debatable."

"On the contrary, I couldn't resist when I saw the selection. But I thought Sylphtoria didn't engage in trade with Uther?"

"Not with the country itself, but they've made deals with some of the humans who live outside the Anorvan Forest. Though the elves of Sylphtoria are very isolationist, they keep a few avenues open as a show of good faith. However, unless you have permission to enter their domain, you'll be lucky not to be shot on sight."

She removed her cloak, standing nude before him.

"I must say, I'm going to miss watching you perform the Dance of the Ivunara each morning," he said as they both got dressed. The pants he got her were tight but flexible, just like her old pair, and she was poured right into them. Her new shirt was more revealing than her old one, showcasing her endowment.

"I'll admit, the summer air has felt quite pleasant these past few days, but do you have any idea how the elves would react if I arrived wearing nothing but a cloak? By the way, you didn't just outright steal these, did you?"

"I figured you'd ask me that. Don't worry; I left suitable compensation when I took them. Your clothes are paid for."

"See? Your conscience isn't as withered as you think."

"Well, I didn't pay for them; the knights did. I did some looting while they were out cold, Aithorn included."

"Ugh," Valia grunted in disapproval. "Anyway, how did the village look?"

"They have soldiers everywhere, and everyone is forbidden from wearing hats or hoods that might hide their faces. I couldn't drop my invisibility for even a second."

"It won't be long until we reach Sylphtoria. They will do everything in their power to ensure we don't cross that border."

Valia's prediction came true; the traveling was a nightmare for the next several days, and the fighting was incessant. She and Noah constantly had to flee or knock out soldiers and knights, with every road blocked off and the countryside swarming with spies. Finally, weeks after leaving Colbrand, they were in the home stretch. The towering trees of the elven nation were in sight, just across a vast open space of plains and hills, but they were not alone.

Once more, they were forced to push their horses to their limits and outrace their pursuers, as behind them, more than a hundred knights and soldiers were riding with reckless fury. Aithorn was in the lead on his horse, with Tarnas trailing in his chariot. Despite the results of their last encounter, the knights refused to let Noah and Valia escape, and this was their last chance to catch them.

Arrows rained down from the sky, blasts of fire and lightning shot over their shoulders, and the ground buckled from earth magic throwing up barriers. Valia and Noah rode in random paths to dodge enemy attacks, with their horses leaping over opening crevasses and rising boulders.

Valia had her Teez enchantment active, making her body as tough as steel, and the arrows that didn't bounce off her back were deflected with her sword to protect her horse. Noah was taking a more direct approach and firing flashbangs at his pursuers. The men would lose their hearing and sight, and every loud spark terrified the horses and made them panic.

Noah was dripping sweat and his heart was racing, but his composure didn't break until Aithorn stuck a bolt in his thigh. "Goddamn motherfucking arrows!" he hissed.

Minus that lucky shot, he and Valia reached the forest unharmed and dove into its wooded gullet. All the knights and soldiers came to a fearful stop at the forest's edge, bound by law and terror. They knew what would happen if they rode into the forest unwelcome. While lacking the barbarism and savagery of the beastman tribes across Handent, the elves were not known for their hospitality.

"What are you cowards doing? Get in there!" Gradius barked.

"Gradius, hold your tongue!" Aithorn barked. "Just by stepping into those woods, you could trigger a war. Someone like you would be put down like a rabid animal or, worse, a demon. That forest will devour your body and spit out your armor like an empty snail shell."

"If you expect me to quit and let them go, you have another thing coming. Taking their heads is the only way my exile ends. I'm not turning away here."

"Why do you think the king chose me for this mission? I'm the only one who can go in there. The rest of you will remain here and wait for me to send word. No matter how long it takes, under no circumstances are any of you to enter these woods without my say-so, or I'll kill you myself."

He nudged his horse forward and entered the forest, disappearing as though stepping behind a curtain. During that brief pause, Noah and Valia had expanded the distance between them and their pursuers, riding swiftly among the trees, with every inch bringing them deeper into elven territory. The outer edges of the Anorvan Forest were indistinguishable from any other forest on the continent, but the more they traveled, the more Noah could sense the landscape changing.

Mana thickened the air, just like the summer humidity, and when Noah activated his magic, he could even see it like a mist. The trees, ancient beyond measure, dispersed energy like radio waves. Every time he touched the wooden giants, he wondered if he had finally found life forms older than himself.

Their bark was tinted with blues and deep violets, the same with their leaves, acting like stained glass and changing the hue of the sunlight. The forest floor was a thick carpet of moss, unbroken and untouched by dead leaves. The wild grasses were like white ribbons, swaying in the still air as though they were light as spider silk.

"I need to stop and tend to my leg. I'm leaving a blood trail."

"Over there, we can hide behind the obelisk."

They rode to a stone pillar jutting out of the forest floor. It was another ruin, offering some cover. Carved by elven hands, the edges of its flat sides were unweathered by time. They hid in its shadow, and Noah examined his leg. The arrow, stopped by his femur, was lodged deep in his thigh. Blood trickled from the wound, hastened by pain-induced muscle spasms.

"How is it?" Valia asked.

"It's bad. My best choice is to rip it out now and use potions to mend the damage."

Noah conjured a small sack filled with several acorn-sized plastic orbs from his ring. He also summoned a titanium syringe shaped like a golf tee and used the tip to puncture the surface of one of the orbs. He pressed the opening to the other end of the syringe to create a seal, then embedded the tip into his thigh, right next to the arrow.

He then pushed down on the orb and injected its payload: morphine. It was just one of many substances he could produce with alchemy, the same with the plastic shell and the syringe. Encapsulating one material with another was his only way to determine the shape of his creations. He'd magically warped the plastic to encase the morphine and formed the syringe by sealing a grass stem in titanium.

The morphine significantly eased the pain, at least enough for what was to come. Noah took a deep breath and grasped the arrow. He began to pull, feeling it slowly dislodge from the inside of his leg. He could control his breathing thanks to his pain tolerance, but his face turned red from the exertion. Pulling it out of the back of his thigh was hard enough, but he had to make sure the barbs came out in the same way they went in. Sweat dripped from his nose as the arrow moved back, millimeter by centimeter, further fraying the severed tissue.

Then, suddenly, it popped right out of his leg. Noah released his held breath and gasped for air, but then he looked at the arrow and loudly swore. The head had broken off and was still in his leg. This was no longer something he could take care of while sitting on a horse. He took out a healing potion and poured some on the wound, causing the hole in his leg to close and stop any more bleeding. He swallowed two morphine pills sealed in crystalized sugar, hoping they'd soon kick in.

"We need to find the elves, quick."

"I don't think that'll be a problem," Valia said as she pointed up.

Ten elves were standing on the branches, all with bows and arrows trained on her and Noah. Their clothes, made of fine silk, were colored green to help them blend in with the foliage, and their bows were higher quality than even many knights' bows. Male and female, they all surpassed humans in appearance, and even from a distance, Noah could see the tips of their ears.

"These forests are forbidden. Who are you?" their leader demanded.

"I am Valia Zodiac of the House of Tsyrfil. This is my companion, Sir Noah. We come in peace and wish to speak to the queen."

There was a slight tremor among the elves. There was no way they didn't know of such a legendary warrior.

"You wear Utheric knight rings. Are you messengers of the king? Or spies trying to sneak into our border?"

"We are not here under anyone's orders. My brother, Valon, has gone missing. Noah and I are searching for him, and hope that he, or at least the means of finding him, lie within Sylphtoria," she replied. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about his whereabouts, do you?"

Without lowering his bow, the elf pulled his eye away from the arrow. "Valia Zodiac, you and I have met before. I am Izan, of House Felolk. I remember you passing through Sylphtoria a long time ago. I remember your brother. How many years has it been since you left us?"

"Maybe a century, if I recall right."

"A century shouldn't be long enough to forget that humans are barred from our woods. What makes you think you can bring him here?"

Valia and Noah exchanged glances. Noah usually kept his identity hidden, concealing his past lives and knowledge, but at the moment, a little honesty might be a wise choice.

"Do not be misguided by the form he takes. He's more like us than them, and a true neutral in the world's affairs. You'd be wrong to think of him as a normal human. He holds no ill will towards our people."

"I carry only questions and seek only answers," said Noah. "I'm already wounded and have lost my fighting capability. Conflict is the last thing that I want. Please, let the queen hear what we have to say."

"Show us your face," Izan demanded, prompting Noah to remove his hat. "An audience with the queen is not so easily granted to a stranger such as yourself. Why is your search for Valon Zodiac worth her time?"

"He is suffering from madness and might become a threat to Sylphtoria, as well as himself. He has already stolen several ancient relics from Uther, causing a great deal of collateral damage in the process. If he has not robbed Sylphtoria yet, he may in the future. We must find Valon and stop him before he goes through with it."

"Very well. We will take you to see the queen. However, you may not set one foot deeper into these woods while armed. Surrender all your weapons."

"Of course," said Noah.

"Understand that this is purely out of respect to Valia Zodiac. Had you arrived here alone, we'd have killed you."

Noah and Valia relinquished their weapons and followed Izan and the other elves deeper into the forest. Though the travelers remained on horseback, their guides moved on foot above their heads, jumping from branch to branch. When night fell, the elves stopped near a stream.

"We go no further today. You may set up camp here. Know that we will be watching you throughout the night. Try to escape us, and you will be killed without hesitation," Izan warned.

Noah struggled to get off his horse, and before his foot even touched the ground, Valia caught him, ensuring he didn't put any weight on his wounded leg. "I got you," she murmured.

"Thank you," he replied, having little strength to muster.

She laid out his bedroll and helped him ease down onto it. Upon feeling the ground beneath him, he released a sigh of relief, realizing how tired he really was. "You just rest; I'll take care of everything," Valia said.

Noah was in no place to argue and not prideful enough to kick up a fuss. She led the horses away to the nearby stream so they could drink, leaving Noah with the other elves, all staring down at him with distrust. Their glares did not bother him, and he waited quietly while considering what to do with his leg. Treatment depended on how soon they would reach the elven capital, or at least some settlement where he could take more precautions.

"Izan, may I ask how long it'll take to reach the capital?"

"It is a four-day journey, and should you get "lost" along the way, know that it will not go well for you," the elf replied.

"Don't worry; I have no intention of going anywhere but the capital. By the way, you said you're acquainted with Valia's brother. You wouldn't by chance know if he's in Sylphtoria, would you?"

"Not to my knowledge. But what is it to you?"

"I seek his expertise in breaking my curse. He's the best chance I have."

"If elven knowledge is what you seek, we may be able to come to an understanding. I just hope you won't do anything rash to get what you want."

"I am a reasonable, patient man. I don't want to fight anyone."

"Countless strangers have come into these woods, saying the same thing. All of their pretty words inevitably turn to blood. The race of men has proven itself incapable of holding promises."

"I won't argue that. I did not come here expecting trust, only hoping for the chance to earn it."

After tending to the horses, Valia returned with firewood and an assortment of other edible plants. Dinner was a stew cooked over their campfire, while in the trees, the elves preferred their fruits and vegetables raw. After Noah ate, Valia moved over to him and touched his face. "How are you feeling? Any signs of a fever?"

"I took a potion to prevent infections and some pills to reduce the pain, so I'm all right for now."

"It really is true that you have bad luck with arrows. I thought you were just exaggerating."

"What can I say? They chase me like wasps."

"Can you travel?"

"Only on horseback."

"If you prefer, I can heave you over my shoulder like a rolled-up carpet," she teased.

Noah chuckled. "Feel free to grab my ass."

"Lady Valia, you really trust this man as a traveling companion?" one of the elves asked.

"Not always," she said, gazing into Noah's eyes with a tender smile on her lips. "Sometimes he can be a bit of a scoundrel, but he gives me hope, and that is worth something."

"A scoundrel? That makes me sound so uncivilized."

"Hmmm, you're right." Valia sat beside him and offered her lap as a pillow. "Would the term 'rogue' make you more comfortable?"

Noah rested his head on her thighs, and their warmth seeped into him. "Yeah, that makes me very comfortable."

The elves said nothing, but wore looks of disapproval at the sight of them together.

For the next four days, Noah and Valia followed Izan's group through the forest. The trees grew ever more prominent, with the canopy sometimes so thick that they could ride through a torrential rainstorm without ever getting wet. Signs of the elves' handiwork became more pronounced with each mile. Paths, paved with moss, wound through the wilderness, sided with plants offering fruits, nuts, and berries to feed whatever traveler passed by. Trees, nurtured to grow in the shape of bridges, stretched over rivers and gorges.

The animals were much more passive here in the forest, with herbivores showing no fear in approaching Noah and Valia, and carnivores keeping a respectful distance. Overhead, birds would sing and follow the group, hopping from branch to branch like the elves.

A group of deer once crossed their path. The males had leaves and flowers blooming from their antlers, while the females' coats shimmered and seemed to change color, like a film of oil on water. A young doe approached Noah and insisted on receiving a satisfying scratch under her chin and behind her ears.

At night, glowing flowers lined the paths, and the mossy ground would light up with every step, producing trails of illuminated footprints. Bioluminescent butterflies and other insects swarmed under the moon, creating mesmerizing patterns to fool predators while leaving trails of radiant dust in the air. Between the light show and the screams of birds and bugs, sound sleep didn't come easy.

Finally, they arrived at the domicile of the elves. Their homes were built on and into the trunks of the most giant and ancient trees, shaping the wood into whatever forms suited them. The trees, reaching almost a thousand feet into the sky, were honeycombed with passages and rooms, not carved as though by termites, but sculpted harmlessly with magic. The branches, similarly directed, formed bridges and catwalks that connected different parts of the city with guardrails of woven vines.

"Beautiful," Noah whispered. At times like this, he was glad to have ended up in this world.

"Welcome to Sylphtoria," said Valia, "where even in the coldest winters, the leaves do not fall."

Countless elves were moving among the trees, doing their daily business on and above the forest floor. Though the elves seemed to abstain from eating meat, they kept some livestock around for things like milk, cheese, and wool. Upon seeing Noah, their reactions turned cold. They realized he was a human immediately and kept their distance. Noah decided it would be best to keep his hat on. They would probably still be able to tell he was human, but keeping his round ears hidden would hopefully ease the tension.

Izan and his group led Noah and Valia through the forum, walking on brick roads to a stone fountain, releasing continuous water from a natural spring. "The two of you wait here," he said. "I shall go to the queen and relay your request for an audience. This is the closest humans may get without royal permission. Don't leave this spot, or you will be marked as intruders."

"Thank you for everything you have done for us," said Noah as he and Valia bowed their heads.

"You are welcome," Izan replied.

Though they disapproved of Noah's species and his relationship with Valia, his manners and behavior over the last four days gave them no reason to dislike him. True, four days was not long enough to earn their trust, but they were willing to reciprocate words of goodwill.

"When might we receive our belongings?" Valia asked.

"Your weapons shall be held in the castle for safekeeping until you depart," said Izan.

He and the other elves raised their right hands and invoked green magic circles around their wrists. Answering the summons, vines reached down from the trees over the elves' heads. They grabbed ahold and were whisked up into the canopy at high speed, leaving Noah and Valia behind.