The Infinite Bk. 04 Ch. 05

Story Info
The church steps up their efforts against Madam Cyrilo.
11.4k words
4.84
8k
16

Part 36 of the 56 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 01/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Precedent

King Leonard sat in his chambers, reviewing paperwork, the one resource the country never seemed to run out of. Many people thought that being a king meant spending all of his time on the throne, but most of it was spent at a desk. They thought that a king's work was done with a sword or a scepter, but instead, it was just a quill and a bottle of ink. They thought that all guests bowed their heads and spoke with quiet reverence, but the guest that arrived spoke with his nose up and an entitled gleam in his eye. He was an old priest, dressed in fancier robes than most clergy members and with numerous jeweled rings.

"Good day, Your Majesty."

"Cardinal Phelps, what brings you before me today?" the king asked dryly. The six cardinals were the highest authorities in the Uther's church, each one representing one of the gods.

"I'm here to warn you of a common enemy we share."

"And what enemy might that be?"

"You are familiar with Madam Cyrilo, yes?"

"I wasn't aware that she was my enemy. What has she done to earn her such distinction?"

"She's sowing the seeds of discontent among the masses, Your Majesty. She's spreading sinful, fabricated knowledge to the public, using a means of dispersal that we've never seen before."

"Knowledge such as?"

"Lewd texts, urging for ungodly fornication and the shedding of social responsibility for the sake of carnality."

"Sounds to me like she's a simple brothel-owner trying to stir up more business. Unless her courtesans are pleasuring men in the street, it's not worth making a fuss over."

"Your Majesty, this cannot be allowed to continue. This country is a well and you're letting poison seep in drop by drop."

"I'll take it under advisement."

The cardinal's words turned cold. "I do not come to you as an average citizen, adding another piece of paper for you to skim. I am here because a threat has arisen, a threat to the kingdom and the church, and I'm calling on you to fulfill your obligations."

"I do not adhere to demands from the clergy. I will not waste the time of even a single soldier for something so ridiculous."

Phelps sneered. "The church has backed your rule, your war, and your policies. We've helped you protect the lives and souls of Uther's citizens, both spiritually and financially. We expect you to do the same."

"You expect me to act on your whims like a loyal dog and silence those who disagree with you. The kingdom and its resources do not exist at your beck and call. You stand in MY castle, in MY city, in MY kingdom."

"They are yours only as long as the people choose to listen to you, but what happens when they listen to someone else instead? Someone who speaks on behalf of the gods? You can't possibly compare. Your castle, your city, your kingdom, and everything else you believe you own will slip through your fingers, and all it takes is for those with authority to point out your failings."

"I have earned the people's loyalty through a lifetime of service and leadership. Don't think you can subvert my rule."

"Perhaps that's what Madam Cyrilo is doing. Perhaps she's trying to sabotage your authority with her perverse texts. That's all the justification you need."

The cardinal then turned and walked out of the king's chambers as though he owned the place, unflinching in the certainty that he did.

----------

"You are being charged with the creation and distribution of contraband," said Marcus Berholm, placing the royal decree on Cyrilo's desk. "You must cease all works relating to literature, or you will be arrested and placed in the dungeon until further notice."

"This is ridiculous," Cyrilo fired back. "Since when is literature considered contraband?"

"Until now, it wasn't, but that's only because it was so hard to produce. A sudden large influx of any resource, be it gold, food, lumber, or books can have far-reaching political, societal, and economic consequences. The church has already filed complaints about those little pamphlets of yours being distributed to the citizens."

"Please, Sir Berholm," said Sophia, standing behind Cyrilo, "we're doing this to help and educate people."

"Though you claim to have good intentions, His Majesty and the church are concerned with how this may be used against the kingdom. We are not blind as to what is going on. You're using magic to create texts faster than can be done with human labor, but what if it was used to spread disinformation or national secrets? What if it was used to create weapons? If this fell into the wrong hands, it could become a catastrophic tool. You already have custody of the bard, and we cannot allow a private citizen to wield this much power without regulation."

"If King Leonard wants this power regulated for the safety of the country, then that should be settled with a discussion. Since I apparently wield so much terrifying power, then surely he can take the time to speak with me face-to-face."

"Though you have been granted an audience with the king in the past, this is a separate matter."

"Regardless, I'm certain that a mutually-beneficial arrangement can be established through proper negotiation."

Berholm exhaled through his large, boulder-like nose. "I too find this decision by the king concerning. As a knight and the Royal Adjudicator, I am bound by my orders to deliver this warning, but I agree that this issue should be settled with conversation. I will pass along your request for an audience to the king, but I cannot promise anything, and I suggest you do nothing to exacerbate the situation."

"Thank you, Sir Berholm. I appreciate it."

Three days later, Cyrilo's request for an audience was granted, and she, Sophia, and Alexis journeyed to the castle. Alexis and Sophia were nervous, as the last time they stood before the king was at their knighting ceremony. Now, they would be facing him as lawbreakers. What concerned Cyrilo, though, was that Daniel's presence was also required.

While Cyrilo was wearing an extravagant noble gown with an overly decorated hat, Alexis and Sophia had changed out of their Knight Sheath outfits. They were dressed more conservatively, the former wearing her blue battle dress and the latter in her white vestments. However, while they expected the king to be joined by his advisors and flanked with guards, the number of knights and clergymen in attendance was surprising.

"Greetings, Your Majesty, you are looking well today," said Cyrilo, curtsying with Alexis and Sophia, while Daniel bowed.

"Madam Cyrilo, I'm glad you could join us."

"I wouldn't miss this for the world, though I must admit I find myself rather befuddled. I was under the impression that you and I would simply be negotiating the regulations surrounding my literature project. I had no idea that so many third-party members would be present. If anything, this looks almost like a criminal trial."

"You were notified to halt your work and refused, a criminal act. It was out of respect and professional courtesy that you were not put in shackles. Between your association with the fugitive Noah, and your antagonism with the church, your actions can no longer be overlooked. You even arrived here with two of his accomplices."

"Oh shit..." Daniel muttered.

"Your sons' blood is on Noah's hands alone. I'm not responsible for his actions, nor are the two ladies with me. And Daniel here is the hero who saved Colbrand during the Red Revelries the year before. We did not come here to discuss crimes we have not committed, including antagonizing the church."

"That is enough. Cardinal Phelps, you have something you wish to say?"

The old priest stepped forward with a cold smirk. "Your Majesty, these heretics are conspiring to bring about the downfall of Uther using numerous avenues of corruption. Madam Cyrilo, a brothel-owner, has been employing savages and shamans to lure our citizens off the righteous path and into the lurid abyss of bestiality and lust. Serving under her, the man known as the Bard of Rock has been using strange, unholy music to brainwash those who listen to it and make them slaves to sin.

That's not all. By the power of dark magic, she's been producing and distributing blasphemous texts and heretical devices of carnality, poisoning minds within this city. These texts include lessons on perversion and dangerous falsehoods, each page a nail in this nation's coffin. The devices they sell, which they so smugly claim to be "toys," are leading women astray and destroying marriages.

Even worse, these three women are known abettors of the Wandering Spirit. Under Madam Cyrilo's watch, the criminal known as Noah has used the Knight's Sheath as a venue to put on displays of horrific perversion, even forcing Duchess Herald to perform sickening acts against her will and dragging this country's nobility through the mud.

Under Cyrilo's orders, he also tortured your sons and paralyzed and kidnapped their friends. Behind her stands Alexis Veres, Noah's blood-drunk warrior friend, and Sophia Rosege, the former betrothed of Prince Galvin and member of the church, and now a common whore."

Her hair on end, Alexis was just barely containing her fury, and Sophia had to grasp her hand to keep her from stepping forward. Cyrilo, on the other hand, maintained her composure and fanned herself as the cardinal continued.

"Your Majesty, we implore you to give these sinners the punishment they deserve. Lock them away where they can never harm our citizens again, and tear down the Knight's Sheath. In the name of the gods, fulfill your duty and protect these lands from the evil before you!"

The other priests all nodded in approval.

"We are so fucked," Daniel muttered.

"Madam Cyrilo, what do you have to say for yourself?" the king asked.

Cyrilo snapped her fan shut. "Forgive me, Your Majesty, I still don't quite understand. Why are THEY here?"

"Excuse me?"

"If the church has issues with our material, that is between them and us, but has no bearing on official law. What legal authority do they have over the operations of private business?"

"We are in charge of protecting the soul of this nation, the souls of its people, and their path to salvation," an old priest growled. "Your blasphemous texts and bestial employees are sabotaging everything we have worked so hard to accomplish."

"Meaning you have no authority. All you can do is apply pressure to coerce people into doing your bidding, but you don't have the right to tell us what to do."

"Silence, witch!" another priest barked.

"That's enough. We will have no further outbursts," said the king, raising his hand to silence everyone.

After a moment, Cyrilo resumed speaking. "While the church may have influence, under Uther law, they have no official authority over business practices. They can renounce the Knight's Sheath, they can tell their followers not to visit, they can complain all they want, but that is the limit of their legal power.

To twist the law at their behest is no different from accepting a bribe. Even worse, it's like you are surrendering your authority as king and letting them take control of the country."

Her words set off a firestorm of angry voices, with men calling them heretics and enemies of the country, only stopping when the king once more raised his hand.

"Nor do I understand why they are bringing up issues that are already settled and unrelated to my work in literature. The razing of the original Knight's Sheath and Noah's revenge against the four culprits is common knowledge. You and I have already come to an agreement regarding that. So too, was it already established long ago that Daniel here is a hero for saving this city and lives the pacifistic life of a musician, working on my stage out of his love for music. His power is simply an extension of that love, the ability to share his feelings with others.

I am here because I wish to negotiate the rules and regulations surrounding my literature project, so that I may continue to educate the masses without bringing danger to Uther."

"Regardless of your issues with the church, they have raised valid points as to the literature you are putting out, and how it is negatively affecting the minds of my people."

"I assume you are speaking about our sexual health booklet?"

"Shut your filthy mouth!" a priest hissed.

Cyrilo ignored him and held up a booklet.

"Your Majesty, this text explains how fornication leads to pregnancy, how to maintain proper cleanliness, and how our bodies work." She then opened the booklet to a random page. "What man wouldn't benefit from knowing how excess heat in his nether regions can reduce fertility? Why shouldn't women understand their monthly cycle and how to make it less painful? Don't children entering adolescence deserve to know how and why their bodies are changing as they approach adulthood?

The purpose of this text is not to harm or pervert the minds of its readers, but to educate them so they may understand their bodies and make informed decisions. You have the right to learn and understand yourself, even if these men claim you don't. Read it, and I guarantee you'll find information you wish you'd had a long time ago."

"And where did this knowledge come from?" Phelps asked. "I seem to recall a certain someone getting onstage and reciting the same lies to a room full of young cadets. That person is Uther's greatest enemy, the Wandering Spirit!"

"It's true, this information came from Noah, developed over his long life. He told me that cadets came to him, asking for bedroom advice, any tips or tricks they could use. He decided to give them that and more, by providing an educational lecture on how their body works, how sex relates to health, and how they may engage in the practice safely." Cyrilo paused when Alexis gave her a nudge. "My bodyguard has something she wishes to say."

Alexis stepped forward, standing at attention as she had been trained in the academy. "My name is Alexis, and I was indeed Noah's friend when he was at the academy, and when I learned of this planned lecture, I shared the clergy's disgust at the idea. However, he told me he was driven by altruism, doing it not simply for the sake of the men, but for the sake of the women they would be marrying.

I myself attended the lecture and came away with a wealth of knowledge I wished I had received years ago. Though the razing of the Knight's Sheath did lead to his feud with the princes and their friends, he had no issue with the citizens of this country or his fellow cadets and simply wished to improve their lives through education. He was only trying to help." She then bowed her head and stepped back.

"Your Majesty, please don't be swayed by these tricks! They are trying to lead your people away from the gods!" the cardinal shouted.

"And what about the magic you're using to produce these booklets?" the king asked.

"It's not like we create them out of thin air. We take simple parchment, ink, glue, and leather, and use alchemy to rearrange them into the same form as a book, down to the most minute detail. It's just copying books using a faster, more precise method. If you would like any other documents copied, all you need to do is ask.

The duplication magic is kept safe and usable only by me, so there are no chances of it falling into the wrong hands, and as I've already made clear, our goal is to educate the public and give them knowledge that will advance civilization and improve daily life."

Cyrilo could see it on the king's face, how he wanted to declare her innocent of all charges and let her go on her way, but he couldn't. As she had said, the church could only apply pressure, but for King Leonard, the pressure was overwhelming. If he made an enemy of the church, the people would turn against him. The last thing he needed was a civil war with citizens forced to choose between the kingdom and the church. She decided to give him a way out.

"If it would settle this dispute, I can offer a compromise. We have been planning on expanding our subject matter, duplicating books already written and creating new ones, making a wider range of knowledge available to the common man. If it would please Your Majesty, why not appoint scholars to review our books and ensure they are safe for the public? Personally, I would be overjoyed if the kingdom took such an interest in citizens' education.

As for the church, I'll use my magic to duplicate religious texts and sell them alongside my books. That way, both sides can spread their message equally."

Everyone in the room held their breath.

"Hmmm, agreed," the king said with a nod.

"Your Majesty!" Cardinal Phelps exclaimed.

"This is a fair deal, Cardinal. You and the church WILL accept it. Madam Cyrilo, I shall appoint scholars to go over your prepared books. Once I am sure that they contain no hidden messages or dangerous spells, you may distribute them however you like, provided you include religious texts."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. Your unbiased wisdom is a breath of fresh air."

"Then this matter is hereby settled. I will accept no more complaints on this topic. You are all dismissed."

Cyrilo was quick to lead her three underlings out of the palace, and only when they stepped out into the street did they release their held breaths.

"Oh my God, I came so close to shitting my pants there," said Daniel.

"That was impressive," said Alexis.

"So does this mean the church will leave us alone?" Sophia asked.

"Perhaps. They've marked us as their enemy, but since we've removed a key piece from their side of the board, that may dissuade them from further action. Now that they can't rely on the king to subdue us, we just have to hope that they'll lose interest and accept the merits of working with us."

Later that night, the Knight's Sheath was experiencing its evening excitement. Customers had flooded in to indulge in hedonism, and as usual, Alexis had her hands full serving drinks and dealing with rowdy customers. As she carried an empty tray back to the bar counter, she spotted Sophia coming down the stairs, trembling and looking gaunt. Assuming the worst, Alexis rushed over.

"Sophia, what's wrong?"

"I was just upstairs, tending to an injury," she said with her face pale.

"Oh God... Whoever hurt the girls, I'll yank out his spine and whip him with it!"

"No, no, it's the opposite. One of the customers was wounded."

"What happened? Did Bella have another episode?"

"It was Yolanda. Everything was going fine, but apparently, when she got on top, she dropped down the wrong way, and... his thing... snapped."

Alexis recoiled in horror. "It can do that?"

"Apparently it can! I mean, it's not like it broke off, but something gave. I was able to heal the uh... extremity, but honestly, I could only do it while he had a blanket over his lap. Understandably, he's not too happy. I'm going to ask Cyrilo what we should do. Should we give him a drink voucher?"

"Yeah, you should definitely talk to...." Alexis stopped as she looked to the hallway leading to Cyrilo's study, where she just saw a man she didn't recognize turn the corner and disappear. "Stay here." She went after the man, turning the corner into the hallway. "You, there! Stop!" The man turned and glared at her. He was taller than her, fairly older, and the way he carried himself gave her a bad feeling. "Customers aren't allowed back here."

"Where is Cyrilo? I need to speak with her."

"Give me your name and wait back in the parlor. I'll let her know she has a visitor."

The man ignored her and turned away, heading closer toward Cyrilo's study.

"Hey! Get back here!"

Alexis rushed over and grabbed his shoulder, then jumped back when he spun around with a knife in his hand.

"Stay out of my way, bitch," he growled.

"You think you're the first guy to come here and pull a knife on me?" Alexis challenged.