The Infinite Bk. 05 Ch. 05

Story Info
Noah gets to work dismantling the Pack.
9.8k words
4.89
4.8k
16

Part 48 of the 56 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 01/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Methodology

It was the middle of the day, and the tavern was lively, with men and women alike indulging in spirits. Tails of all different kinds hung out of the backs of chairs and stools, whether furry, scaly, or feathered. Most of the light came from the front windows, but candles still burned in dark corners. Friends and coworkers talked amongst themselves, sharing complaints and jokes, but most of it was the former, all directed at Uther. Whether it was the taxes or the guards patrolling the streets, Uther's authority was grudgingly endured, but murmurings were going on. Whispered in fear and anger, talks of rebellion passed between bowed heads and over empty mugs.

Yet despite the patrons' heightened senses of sight, hearing, and smell, no one knew of the intruder sitting among them. Wrapped in a veil of mana, Noah listened in to the numerous conversations, noting any details relating to the Pack and the Profane. He also paid attention to dialects, accents, and slang, learning how to speak as an ordinary citizen of Welindar. He had spent several days perusing the local taverns and other meeting places and roaming the back alleys, picking out anyone looking or acting suspicious and tailing them for info.

While Noah was doing undercover work, Shannon assisted Valia in the streets, chasing leads and taking down the fiends.

"Thank you again for letting me come with you," she said as the two walked down a crowded street. "I'm glad to help Lord Noah with his work, but some of the things he does in there, the things he does to the people you capture, the way he experiments on them... I couldn't stop imagining those things being done to my kin."

"Considering what I walked in on, I'm surprised you lasted so long. Noah lives in a very different world from you and I. I sometimes get glimpses of it from his stories, and they often leave me awed, horrified, and heartbroken. Other times, he'll tell me a story that makes me fall in love with him all over again. Anyway, it's nice to have you out here. Honestly, I thought you had a grudge against me."

Shannon gave a mournful sigh. "I was never mad at you. It just hurt to be reminded of that night. But I know you did everything you could to save my father, I know that you wanted to make everything right. What happened wasn't your fault, it was theirs; the Profane, and if not for you, I wouldn't be here. I don't simply want to help my people, I want to return the favor."

"Well I'm happy to have you. Just be ready, these streets are crawling with danger."

"Yes, My Lady."

Off in the distance, they heard several roars and the sounds of battle. "Looks like you're going to get your chance. Let's go!"

They set off towards the commotion, Valia sprinting and Shannon galloping in her centaur form. They crossed three streets and arrived at the scene, where a squad of soldiers were battling against a fiend. The hairy behemoth swung a log as a club, knocking the men through the air. Shannon drew her grandfather's bow and an arrow as soon as she saw him. The tip had been lathered in the poison she helped Noah create, the fruit of her labor, and with perfect aim, it struck the fiend in the center of the chest. Such a wound wasn't even a hindrance to the beast, but as the toxins entered his bloodstream, the mighty warrior began to seize up, and with equal ease and elegance, Valia finished him off. They continued on like that through the city, with every victory raising Shannon's confidence and each arrow easier to shoot than the one before.

Back at the bar, Noah had just spotted one man talking to another in a corner and flashed him the mark of the Pack. They both left the bar, and Noah followed them. When they split up, Noah chose the one who revealed his tattoo. Once he stepped into an alley, Noah made his move, first filling the air with his mana to smother all noise. He then snuck up on the man, wrapped a rope around his neck, and kicked the back of his leg to bring him down to his knees. Noah pulled hard on the rope, making the man fight for every breath, but gave him just enough leeway to dig his fingers underneath and open up enough room to answer questions.

"You try to transform, you try anything I don't like, and I'll make this infinitely more painful for you. Who was that man you were talking to the bar?"

"Argh! Eat shit!" the man growled, struggling for air.

Noah responded by boxing his ear, rupturing his eardrum, and making him shout in pain.

"If you had a parasite, that wouldn't have hurt as much. Tell me who he was."

"Fuck you!"

This time, Noah robbed him of one of his eyes. "No one is going to save you. No one is going to end this but me. The only freedom you have right now is to decide how much pain I will inflict on you." Noah forced him onto his stomach and smashed his face against the ground until a puddle of blood formed. "Tell me who he was!"

"Tolk! His name is Tolk!"

"Is he above you or below you in the Pack?" The man didn't immediately respond, so Noah jerked hard on the rope.

"Below! He doesn't even have his mark yet!"

"And who is above you?"

The man used what little breath he had to try and scream for help, hoping someone would hear and save him. He was aptly punished.

"Brusin, he recruited me. He manages a dozen other men!"

"And where do I find him?"

"He runs a tannery to the west of here! There is a squirrel on the sign!"

"Does he have a parasite?"

"No!"

"And who is above him?"

"I don't know! I can't use a parasite, so they don't tell me much!"

"Then you're no longer useful to me."

"Please, no! I have a son! He's only--"

Noah ended the man's life and disposed of the body. He moved on to the tannery and found Brusin, a balding, heavyset man. Noah spent the next two days spying on Brusin, listening in on his conversations with other members of the Pack, following him on his errands, and collecting evidence and photographs with his phone. The man had no idea how much information he was leaking to Noah, which he brought back to the prince.

"This is incredible," said Lupin, looking through lists of names, dates, and locations. "Between you and Lady Zodiac, the tide is finally beginning to turn here in Welindar. We may be able to eliminate the Profane before long."

"How are things beyond the city?" Noah asked, speaking with the prince in the throne room.

"We've been going after the farms growing those plants, as you suggested, but they are well-guarded and hidden. Still, your arrows have made the fiends much less of a threat than they were before."

"Excellent. From what I've learned, several mid-level members of the pack in Welindar will be having a meeting the day after tomorrow. If we can capture them, not only will it be a significant blow to their operation, but they'll be an excellent source of information. I don't know exactly where the meeting will be held, only that it's somewhere in the eastern district. However, while I've been out and about, I've also been paying attention to your management of the city. You're doing an excellent job, especially with the war orphanages, and I heard you've lowered taxes on the poor while raising them for the rich. Well done."

"You might call it a stroke of luck, but the former king was not well-liked. Though he was able to hold Uther's forces back for a number of years, his domestic and foreign policies left a lot to be desired by the people. I've made great strides with public relations by undoing a lot of his mistakes. Besides, the people of this city may not like it, but they are now citizens of Uther, and that means it is my job to ensure their wellbeing.

Every day, I spend hours with city delegates and former advisors to the last king, trying to address and fix every problem. The people's needs come before all else, and I want to make them happy. Years of war have been hard on everyone, and I just wish I didn't have to destroy so much before I can begin rebuilding. Have you ever felt such burdens before?"

"Indeed I have. I've worn many crowns, from taking on the responsibility for a tribe wandering a scorched hellscape, to leading a town through a recession, to ruling one world with an iron fist, and everything in between."

"You were once the ruler of the world?" Lupin asked in shock.

"Well, not this world. It took decades of work and planning, but I managed to corral all the nations of another planet into my sphere of influence. The problem is that once you reach the top, it doesn't get any better, and you have to keep expending effort just to maintain the status quo. What kind of leader do you hope to be once you take the throne?"

"With my conquering of Welindar and the surrounding territories, I've proved myself as a warrior and military leader, and once I am king, I wish to reestablish my affinity for diplomacy. These lands have been steeped in war for too long, and I want to give the people peace and prosperity. I want to focus my attention to strengthening the country rather than expanding it, and improving relations with the other nations. Sir Noah--no, I suppose I should address you as Lord like the elves--would you consider serving under me once I become king as one of my advisors? With your knowledge and expertise, there is no limit to what our nation can accomplish."

"You honor me, but I'm afraid that I must decline. Valia and I still have to find her brother, who I believe can help me break my curse. That takes priority over everything and everyone. After that, I have a home waiting for me in Sylphtoria, where I plan to live out the rest of my days. However, that doesn't mean I'll be out of reach. The elves speak very highly of you, and are ready to fight alongside Uther should the Profane rise to power once more. If you ever need my counsel, you need merely ask."

"That is a shame, but I thank you for any help you can provide in the future, and I'm glad that Queen Elisandra will honor the old alliances. I just hope it never comes to that."

Two days later, preparations were being arranged to raid the Pack meeting. Soldiers and knights were dressed as commoners with hidden weapons and formed a loose, scattered perimeter around the eastern district where the meeting would occur. The beastmen were known for their excellent senses, so ambushes were difficult. They had to stay far away and wait for all of the major players to be at the scene, and then Noah would signal the location. Until then, they pretended to be average citizens walking the evening streets, waiting for the order to tighten the noose.

The problem came when Noah snuck into Brusin's tannery, getting ready to tail him to the meeting place. Brusin didn't know the location, but someone was supposed to arrive and escort him there. As Noah climbed the stairs to the upper level, shrouded and silent, he heard an anguished groan and a body hitting the floor. Noah rushed to Brusin's room to find him laid out, releasing his final breath.

Intracranial hemorrhage, arrhythmia, whatever it was, it struck fast, and despite Noah performing CPR and even administering a health potion, there was no bringing him back. Now Noah was stuck with a dead lead, and even worse, he heard someone knocking on the front door. If the escort arrived and found Brusin dead, the meeting might be called off, leaving Noah only one option.

He placed his hand on the corpse and activated his cloning magic, taking on Brusin's appearance. He had discovered this ability when he first arrived in Colbrand, unintentionally mimicking a Harajin he killed, but rarely used it. His voice, smell, and even his clothes became an exact replica of Brusin, but as he stood up, he realized a problem: Brusin was shorter than he was. Whenever Noah used magic to change his appearance, whatever form he took was stretched over his natural build, like wearing a costume. Fortunately, Brusin wore loose-fitting clothes, so Noah remedied it with some crouching. Noah walked downstairs, hurried by the impatient banging on the door.

"Kurd," he said, priming the man outside to answer with the password.

"Bollat."

Noah opened the door, finding an anxious-looking man, whom Noah had seen at the tannery before, Jensen. "Brusin, ya ready or not? We're gonna be late."

"S'ready s'I'll ever be," Noah replied, donning Brusin's speech patterns.

The two men started walking down the street, heading east.

"Ya think everywona show?" Noah asked.

"They should. Hopefully they have some good news. Ya hear about those arrows those Uths been usin'? Tuttle had to have his arm chopped because it swelled up so bad."

"Sometimes I think those black worms are more trouble than they worth."

"I don't know, they're a lot better than they used to be. I used to want to throw up when I saw someone transform, but now? They look pretty damn impressive. Maybe you should think about getting one."

"Can ya imagine what my fat ass would look like if I used one of those things?"

"Maybe it would help you lose some weight. The guys who have them do look skinnier."

"That's 'cause they're getting sucked dry like a noble at a whorehouse."

"Well that's the cost of freedom. Collin, you know Collin, right? He said something interesting the other day. 'It is the duty of life forms to seek ultimate power and strive for perfection and supremacy, regardless of the evil required', or something like that."

"Makes a good point. What is the fight for life other than pursuing growth? You either keep getting better or you die, even bugs know that."

"Apparently he heard it from the boss."

The meeting was taking place above a butcher shop, and once Jensen led Noah there, they went their separate ways. After giving the password to the man at the door, Noah headed upstairs to a candle-lit room, where almost a dozen men were seated at a large table, all of them mid-level members of the Pack. Most were former military, not ready to accept they had lost the war, while others were citizens who had proven their dedication to the cause. More than half showed signs of parasite attachment.

In the distance, Prince Lupin, his attendants, and Valia and Shannon waited for the signal, some more impatiently than others.

"This is ridiculous. Why are we putting so much faith in a stranger?" Paulman growled.

"Lord Noah has proven that he can get results. We've been waiting for an opportunity like this for ages, and he's given it to us," Lupin replied.

"Without telling us how. For all we know, he could be working for the enemy, and everything he told us could have been a ruse to earn our trust."

"Don't talk about Lord Noah like that!" Shannon blurted out, shocking everyone. "You speak of things you know nothing about."

"Your Highness, this is too good to be true, and you know it," Paulman argued. "We don't even know what he's doing over there. How can we trust any information he gives us when he won't reveal how he got it? He's probably in that meeting with them, spreading our secrets and laughing at us for believing him."

"Noah has developed tools that let him see and hear from great distances, and has ages of experience in going unnoticed among others," Valia interjected, preventing another burst from Shannon. "Just let him work, and as you've seen, the results speak for themselves." She then turned to the centaur. "I'm glad to see you in high spirits."

"Forgive me, My Lady, I'm really grateful for everything you and Lord Noah have done, and I don't like hearing others ridicule you. But it's not just that, this whole thing is making me tense. Lying in wait, surrounding them from all sides; is this what it felt like for the monsters that attacked my village? This weight of imminence?"

"Combat is the same no matter which side you take. If you want to live, if you want to win, you have to fight as effectively as possible."

"I know, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't understand how these men, who claim to fight for freedom for beastmen, would sell their souls to the Profane and enslave the very people they sought to liberate."

Back at the meeting, Noah listened in to the conversation and even used his phone to record everything that was going on under the table.

"The Liege's last dilthim delivery was a day late. Any later and a few of my men would have degenerated," said one man. Dilthim was the seaweed used to make the stabilizing agent, drawing Noah's interest.

"I told one of those pale fuckers that we can't afford such lapses, and he nearly took my eye for speaking up. The Profane have wrenched this organization from our hands and made it their own," said a second.

"Spoken as someone too afraid to make a real commitment. You don't even have a parasite," a third mocked.

The second man got to his feet. "I fight for Welindar and my people, not those sun-fearing cannibals! With that leech on your back, you're nothing more than a puppet, and so is the boss!"

"Enough," said a fourth man, raising his hand. "We cannot hope to defeat Prince Lupin and Uther by fighting amongst ourselves. The Profane have shared their power with us, and the Liege has backed us since the very beginning. We wouldn't be here without his material and financial support. A day's delay is worth all the help he's given us."

"But at least the Profane are here with us. The Liege hides in Uther. I can't trust someone until I've seen their face. Has anyone upstairs even met this person, or are they just as blind as we are?"

"It doesn't matter. Our job, our calling, is to fight for these lands using whatever means we have at our disposal. That is what Kaisen wants us to do."

"Any idea of when he'll come back?"

"I heard he's still gathering allies from the northern tribes, but should return soon, and with reinforcements. Until then, we have to keep this organization alive."

As the meeting continued, Noah conjured a metal canister from his ring under the table and began venting gas. Odorless and colorless, it was developed to mimic the succubus powder he had collected in Sylphtoria. The moment he felt the slightest effect, he pulled out a handkerchief and covered his nose.

"Brusin, what's wrong?" one of the Pack members asked.

"My nose just started bleeding, don't worry, continue."

His original plan was to observe this meeting invisibly and be protected with a gas mask, but he had to improvise. As the gas filled the room, Noah slowed his breathing as much as he could and used the handkerchief to try and filter the air. Soon enough, the Pack members began feeling the effects, but it was too late. One by one, they all fell unconscious. Once they were out, Noah released his illusory guise and donned the prepared gas mask.

There was no telling if the gas affected the parasites, so he didn't waste any time. He bound all the men, not with chains and shackles, but with wire, alchemically crafted to be as strong and sharp as possible. If they tried to transform, the wire would dig into their flesh. He also injected them with sedatives to ensure they wouldn't wake up anytime soon.

Once all the men were incapacitated, Noah climbed onto the roof and used his grimoire to summon an illusory crow. He had it fly over to the nearest tall building and began cawing shrilly and continuously. That was the first signal to the Uther forces, letting them know the precise area of the meeting. As they started to close in, Noah heard a whistle in the distance from Valia. They were in position.

Noah shot a flashbang into the sky, signaling the Uther forces to advance. Many of the Pack members' bodyguards were waiting outside the building, and when they saw and heard the flashbang and the charging knights, they realized they had been set up. They all transformed, taking on monstrous appearances, and roared in challenge. However, they were beset with arrows before they could draw Utheric blood. Among the archers was Shannon, and her speed and accuracy, honed on the plains, overshadowed the efforts of the knights and soldiers.