The Infinite Bk. 05 Ch. 10

Story Info
Things are not all well and good at the Knight's Sheath.
8.8k words
4.85
2.8k
10

Part 53 of the 56 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 01/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lovesick

The voices of the arguing men could be heard outside the closed room and through the corridor. They sat at a long table, dressed in either elegant noble garb or modest working attire, these squabbling captains of industry. They were the heads of the various business guilds in Colbrand, from blacksmiths to textile workers, all thinking they deserved the biggest piece of the pie and projected it by bickering over resources and coins.

The doors to the room then opened, and all eyes turned, expecting to meet the host of this get-together. Instead, they faced an interesting trio. On one side, a beautiful blond woman, around twenty years old, wearing a blue battle dress and carrying a bow. On the other side, a similarly captivating beauty with long crimson hair and a sunny smile, holding the trio's winter coats. Between them, a young girl wearing a witch's hat and tiny evening gown, smoking a long-stemmed pipe held in her small hand.

"Greetings, gentlemen. I hope you weren't all waiting for little old me," the girl said with a wry smile.

"Ah Cyrilo, you always love to be fashionably late," one man laughed.

"Isn't it a bit early for you to be so short? You told me you only turn into a wee lass in the wee hours of the morning," another man asked.

"I've been making some headway in solving my aging hex," said Cyrilo, walking around the table to an empty chair. "You could say my current state is a work-in-progress. Regardless, I wouldn't miss this for the world, especially as the head of the newly-formed brothel guild." She took a seat, but her chin barely came above the table.

"Now that you've taken down the church, your little pet project can finally grow to fruition. Congratulations, you're close to your ultimate dream of ruling Colbrand with an iron fist," said a third man.

"My rule would be a gentle utopia, you know that."

Alexis and Sophia took their places against the wall behind Cyrilo, along with several other bodyguards and attendants brought for the meeting. These days, Cyrilo never left the Knight's Sheath without them, even to come here, the palace. They had become famous for revealing the church's schemes and corruption, how the clergy planted their agents in the military, using their authority as knights to commit murder, arson, and all manner of immoral acts in the name of their gods. Anyone who became a threat to the church or challenged their doctrine was eliminated and their removal was covered up.

Since then, the king had been working to purge Uther of the shadow council organizing the assassinations. Every priest was arrested and questioned, and every church and clergy safehouse was searched for evidence and ill-gotten gains. The purge was a mixed blessing. The actual churches were mostly untouched, as well as the priests innocent of any wrongdoing, all to protect the faith and the citizens' access to their houses of worship.

Removing the fetid, corrupt order was necessary for every system occasionally, but not everyone was happy to see it go. To oppose the church was to oppose against the gods, a mindset pushed by all religions, and plenty of people believed it. Having their spiritual leaders arrested for everything from bribery to assassination was disheartening, to say the least, and challenged their beliefs. When faced with new evidence contrary to their beliefs, the mature and intelligent will change their views, but most don't have what it takes to admit being mistaken about what they hold dear. For the fools of the world, unpleasant truths and inconvenient changes were always the result of hoaxes and conspiracies.

Armies of zealots challenged the purge, accusing the kingdom of framing their most pious deacons and cardinals. The clergy wasn't corrupt; it was obviously the king, and who started the king on this warpath? Madam Cyrilo. For months, the Knight's Sheath had been attacked and vandalized by angry citizens trying to avenge their fallen clergy.

It wasn't all that different from the usual level of controversy the Knight's Sheath generated and the ire it invoked, and these lacked the planning and authority of the attacks made by the clergy. Though the messes were annoying to clean up, Alexis relished the action. Fighting kept her from getting bored, and her day felt wasted if she didn't get to punch someone who deserved it.

Finally, the meeting host arrived, a man in a government uniform with long hair and a scar over his eye. "Apologies for the delay, everyone. There was a last-minute issue that required my attention."

"There you are, Lord Strauss. Finally we can get down to business instead of waiting with our thumbs up our asses," the leader of the blacksmith guild said.

Strauss was one of the king's advisors, focusing on the nation's wealth and economy. Though the kingdom had ceded most of its control over the private sector to the nobles in exchange for military power, no business or group could reach a specific size without the government involved.

"Yes, I have invited you all here today to talk to you about the Arena Project."

"Don't tell me it's still stalled," said the head of the fishermen's guild. "I could see that thing from the sea, growing like a giant barnacle, and then it just stops?"

"That's why we're here. Due to troubles in Handent, more of the imperial budget is being spent on bolstering defenses and troop presence. As such, funding for the stadium has hit a momentary snag."

"I thought the king was paying for it with all the wealth accrued from the church purge. I heard stories of chests full of jewels, gold statues, and elven silk being wheeled out of the cardinals' mansions," said Cyrilo.

"Let's just say that the church is good at hiding its assets. As such, the flow of wealth has halted, as has construction of the arena."

"And the king wants us to foot the bill, is that right?" asked the head of the farmers' union.

"Temporarily. At most, you would be funding around 15% of the arena."

"Dwarven labor doesn't come cheap," said the banking guild leader.

"They're the best stonemasons and architects in the world, and since Vandheim is nothing but snow and mountains, they're used to building in the cold," another man stated.

"To think that the king would commission such a massive project in such a short time frame. A massive stone stadium, completed in less than a year? Even with earth magic, it's preposterous," said the fisherman.

"Preposterous if it fails, genius if works," said Cyrilo. "Every year, Knight's Day is sullied by the bloodshed of the Red Revelries, and the past two years have been particularly damaging to both the city and the country. Arresting and killing the revelers has failed as a deterrent, so why not find a way to profit off this wellspring of bloodlust? An arena, where we can put these murderous fools to work for the entertainment of the people. Give them the battle they crave and rake in the money. I wish the king had thought of this years ago."

"I'm glad you are in agreement as to its merits. If it is to be completed before next year's Knight's Day, the kingdom will need help in funding it. That is where you come in," said Strauss.

"I'm sure our generosity in this matter will be well-rewarded, right?" the banking chief hummed.

"The kingdom is prepared to offer you some very generous tax cuts, as a start," said Strauss.

"Then by all means, let's talk business," said Cyrilo, smoking her pipe. "I have a sweet tooth, and am in the mood for more honeyed words."

Behind her, Alexis and Sophia prepared themselves for a long meeting. After more than two hours of negotiating rebates and dividends, the heads of all the guilds were released back into the winter cold.

"I didn't think that was ever going to end," said Sophia.

"Once Carson starts talking, he doesn't stop. He'll eat breakfast and then spend the rest of the day describing it," said Cyrilo.

"Don't forget that textiles guy," said Alexis. "I don't know what it is about his voice, all I know is that I hate it. Every time he spoke, it was like there was a centipede in my ear."

Rather than walk the frosty streets, they got a carriage to bring them back to the Knight's Sheath. The interior had no heat, but it got them out of the wind and snow. As they rode back, they glanced out the window at the unfinished coliseum looming over the rest of the city. It replaced the old Uther slums, a long-time haven of criminal mischief. After all the damage it had suffered in recent years, especially during Noah's battle with Seraph, little demolition was required to clear the area for construction. The slums had always been a gangrenous limb attached to the city, and the people were happy to see the space used for something better.

"Do you really think this new arena is going to put an end to the Red Revelries?" Sophia asked.

"Maybe not put an end, but definitely cut them down to a manageable level. The Red Revelries started out as just rowdy academy applicants getting bored and looking for a fight, usually because they were drunk. With each year that passed, more and more fighters started getting involved, simply for the rush. Hopefully, with this arena, we can give these battle addicts a place to satiate their bloodlust, while keeping the public entertained."

"It also keeps everyone off the king's back for a while," said Alexis. "With everything that's been going on these past few years, he needs all the help he can get. The nobles are growing bolder, and this purge of the church is giving them both plenty to fear and plenty to complain about."

"It's been much more than a few years," Cyrilo sighed. "The power of the royal family has been in question for centuries, but it didn't used to be that way. It used to be that the royal family possessed the ultimate means of protecting this city from invaders, an unstoppable power that granted them near-divine authority."

"You mean the Wassengel, correct? I read about it in the library," said Sophia.

"That's right. Part of the reason Colbrand was built on this spot is because it is the site of Enochian ruins, and among those ruins was an unstoppable weapon, one so powerful that it supposedly created the Paleon Channel. The first king of Uther managed to awaken this weapon and use it against his enemies. He linked control of it to his bloodline, so only those of royal lineage would be able to harness its power.

Unfortunately, the temple that was used to control the Wassengel was destroyed around two or three hundred years ago. Since then, it has remained inert and useless. Numerous armies have attacked Colbrand since then, and because the royal family can no longer protect the city as it once did, every mistake makes the king more expendable."

"At least with the church leaders out of the way, the list of people who can challenge the king is now shorter," said Alexis.

"On the contrary, it may have made him more vulnerable."

They finally arrived at the Knight's Sheath just as a snowstorm began brewing. The three women released sighs of relief as they stepped out of the cold and went to the foyer.

"Ah, you missed it. Look what finally arrived," said Lucius, standing at the bar. He held up a large book made with high-quality leather binding and gilded pages. "Your manuscript is finished."

"It came back from the painter?" Sophia asked excitedly.

"He just dropped it off. The borders of every page are complete and every diagram and picture are a work of art."

Everyone gathered around to look through the book, a testament to sexual health and pleasure. All of the information from Sophia's original booklet had been included and expanded on, as well as everything regarding sensuality. Each artistic depiction of sexual acts and positions was both arousing and beautiful.

It was dubbed the "Sex Codex," picked from a list of names submitted by everyone at the Knight's Sheath. Other names included the "Brothel Bible," "Erotic Encyclopedia," "Dick Dictionary," and even "Ass-Play Almanac," and somehow, the other names just got weirder and more perverse from there. It was difficult to tell where the real submissions ended and the joke submissions began.

"Now we can start mass-producing copies," said Cyrilo. "The health section will kill arousal rather than invoke it, but the rest of the book is something best enjoyed on a lonely evening with a bottle of wine."

Their happiness was ruined by a loud crash from upstairs and the sound of a door opening and slamming shut. A half-naked man rushed down the stairs, still in the process of pulling his clothes on, and when he saw Cyrilo and everyone else, he scowled, flashing the scratch marks on his cheek. "You need to put down that lunatic like a rabid dog!" he yelled as he fled the building. Upstairs, they could hear more crashing and angry screaming.

"Looks like Bella's having another episode," said Lucius.

"Daniel, you know what to do," Cyrilo said to the musician beside her.

"Yeah, yeah, hold on." Daniel retrieved his guitar and followed Cyrilo, Sophia, and Alexis upstairs to Bella's room.

Inside, Bella was throwing a fit, smashing furniture, throwing items against the wall, and screaming bloody murder. Sophia carefully opened the door, and Daniel began to play his guitar, a soft, wilting tune to calm the nerves. Mana flowed from his guitar and filled Bella's room like knockout gas, causing her to slowly drop to her knees. When Bella got violent, Daniel's magic was the only way to subdue her without physical force. His music could attract attention and calm the minds of those who heard it, allowing him to draw massive crowds and de-escalate situations, but in Bella's case, it was only a temporary solution. Even now, she was muttering to herself and clawing at her scalp.

Sophia entered her room with Alexis on standby should Bella lash out. "Bella, are you ok? It's me," she said softly.

"I'm not ok, I need my darling."

"Do you want to tell me what happened with the customer?"

Bella turned to her with crazed eyes. "That disgusting pig! That arrogant cretin! He said he could make me fall in love with him, that I would call him darling! Only Noah can be my darling! No one else! Why hasn't he come back yet? Doesn't he know that I'm waiting for him?! I need my darling! No one can make me feel as good and happy as he can! I need him back!"

"Bella, honey, I know you miss Noah, but you can't treat customers like that. It's time for you to move on."

"I don't want to move on! I want my darling!"

"Well he's not here, any you need to accept that. You need to find someone or something else that can make you happy."

"There is no one else! Nothing else! Get out! You don't understand!"

"We can't leave until we know you're calm and clear. I can't have you continuing to destroy the Knight's Sheath," said Cyrilo.

"I don't care about the fucking Knight's Sheath!" She screamed at the top of her lungs, beating her fists against the floor.

"Alexis!" blurted Sophia.

Alexis rushed over and grabbed Bella in a bear hug. Bella thrashed and flailed until Sophia clasped both sides of her head and sent a powerful charge of holy energy. As a healer, Sophia's magic couldn't cause harm, but a large burst directly to the brain was enough to make Bella faint. It realigned Bella's synapses, slowed the rapid chemical imbalance, and caused her to reboot like a computer. It was yet another means of calming her down during her episodes. Alexis left her on her bed, and Daniel and the three women retreated to Cyrilo's study.

"I'm honestly considering removing Bella from the Knight's Sheath," Cyrilo sighed from behind her desk.

"You mean throwing her out into the street? You can't do that!" Sophia exclaimed.

"Believe me, I don't even like considering it, but she isn't leaving me with much of an option. She's long-since become a danger to both the customers and the girls. I have to think about the safety of everyone here. Besides, she barely even works anymore. She refuses to entertain most clients, and when she does, she doesn't even try to hide her disdain. She's driven off everyone but the masochists."

"I agree that something needs to be done, but kicking her out isn't the solution," said Alexis. "With her mental state, it would be a death sentence. We're her only source of support."

"Where I come from, people with problems like hers would receive special medicine, little pills to help them be less crazy. Can't you whip up anything like that for her?" Daniel suggested.

"I'm an alchemist, not a miracle worker. I can create a poison that would numb her out and make her a mindless husk, but that wouldn't exactly solve the problem."

Sophia shook her head. "Well maybe there is a middle ground. Between the two of us, there has to be some kind of medicine we can make that will at least make her more docile and less prone to violence."

"It's worth a try. A merchant friend of mine will be stopping in town soon. He usually carries ingredients you can't find anywhere else."

Over the coming days, Cyrilo and Sophia made numerous copies of the Sex Codex, using alchemy to rearrange raw materials like an atomic 3D printer. Cyrilo distributed them to the other city brothels and her friends across the map, spreading the sensual knowledge far and wide. With the church now a shadow of its former self and the kingdom backing her literacy program, there was no one to stop her. She even gave lectures on health and wellness the way Noah had, but the live demonstrations were forgone since he wasn't around. No one could fill his shoes.

Once the darkest days of winter passed, Cyrilo set out to meet her merchant friend. Sophia was currently training healers from other brothels, and Alexis was running the bar while Lucius was off meeting with booze distributors, so today, she had Daniel escorting her.

"Whew, it's blustery today," said Cyrilo, currently in her late fifties. Due to her altering her curse, her age was still random. She could be an infant one day and an old woman the next.

"That ocean breeze really packs a punch," replied Daniel, pulling an empty cart behind him.

"That's a good thing. As long as none of Tom's other customers are as tenacious as us, we'll get the best selection and prices."

"It's amazing to me that you can create diamonds out of coal, but you still hunt for bargains like a cat chasing mice."

"It's the thrill of the chase. Thank you for coming out here with me. I know the weather seems to have it out for us."

"There is no way I could refuse. It's my job, after all."

"I've noticed you stepping up more and more lately, trying to take on more roles and carry more responsibility. I definitely appreciate it, but I just hope you're not doing it to impress Alexis and Sophia. I see you glancing at them."

"It's nothing like that. To be honest, I admire them, but not in a romantic way. I mean, I admire how strong they are. At first glance, Alexis looks like a dainty maiden, but she's really a fucking lioness with a spine made of solid steel, and Sophia is a sweet little cinnamon roll, but she has so much heart and courage; it's amazing. During the Lucius incident, when Sophia and I were waiting outside the palace, Sophia was cool as a cucumber and ready for anything, but I was so tense I was ready to jump right out of my skin. When we realized Alexis was fighting someone, I was too scared to act, but Sophia ran right into danger.

Watching her sprint off to help, this nineteen-year-old girl heading into battle, I was truly inspired, as well as ashamed. I looked at myself, cowering behind her, and realized how pathetic I was acting. I mean, I had been trying before then to be better, braver, tougher, like when the old Knight's Sheath burned down and when we captured that crazy religious guy, but they showed me just how far I had to go. I want to be someone that people can depend on. When things go wrong, I want to be able to say 'leave it to me' and save the day."