All Comments on 'The Irishman at the End of the Bar'

by CaffeineFetish

Sort by:
  • 64 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
400 Hundred Years Ago

CF, you have written a super story, I have read most of WW,s stories but I can see you have the same talent. Keep up your good work. The angle about the bad cop seems to ring so truthfully with so many of our present police forces across our nation, it is a shame that this is only a story. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Agree

Agree with the other comment, after WIfewatchman, you are my author to look forward to

paulc1321paulc1321over 4 years ago
Excellent Readings !!!

I totally enjoyed your writing. Please keep up the good work.

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 4 years ago
Wonderful story, well told

Quite enjoyable read. Well done in all aspects.

666iceman666icemanover 4 years ago
Tottally Agree With Anon

You my friend are up there with WW. I have read all his stories and many of them twice or more, I have to say that this story you have posted is up there with his. In keeping the reader focused, In wanting and waiting for more to follow, The good via the bad along with the feelings and turmoil within the minds of the players. Also I feel the main reason why you are up there with WW is that the story is vivid and the perp is not clear until the end. You gave the clues but was only with hindsight that they stand out.

Very good and I hope that we see many more of your tales like this soon.

Thank you for the pleasure you have given to me reading this 5+*.

Iceman

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Author Author!

I can only assume that you’re getting paid in the real world to write like this. If your not, you should be. You’ve got a novel in you. Find it.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 4 years ago
Absolutely incredible

Outstanding presentation of a solid storyline. I enjoyed how Chase’s character developed in the aftermath of The Sorority. Including the letter from his mother was brilliant! Those few paragraphs explained a great deal of his personality traits and behaviors. While her suicide was tragic, it was discouraging that he didn’t receive her communication until age 30 - it seems he might have benefited from having another letter, at a much younger age. I look forward to more of his story.

I actually suspected that the mob insider might have been Flannery - his distaste for the drug trade would have fit the act of double-crossing the other families. Good bit of misdirection.

I also enjoyed the segments written from The Kaiser’s perspective. While he’s been around the other stories, there wasn’t much about him. He’s an interesting guy, who finally got a break by having a partner who gave a damn.

The part I haven’t figured out, is: which city it’s set in? It’s cold and large enough to have precincts. His brother had significant travel from CT, so not likely NYC or Boston. Chicago or St Louis would fit the climate, and with O’Neill doing Navy basic at Great Lakes... Again, nice job not obscuring the location- it keeps the reader’s interest on the characters and their interactions.

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 4 years ago
Great Series

Between this posting and the Sorority I feel these are some of the best ever on this sight. I like the way you describe and flesh out your characters, the way you shift between them to give insight into that character and the plot line.

The only thing I can say to criticize is that both stories had to end. Please continue this series with our man Chase.

Thank you for two great stories. I will have to read the rest of your work.

Woodmanone

teedeedubteedeedubover 4 years ago
Agreed

This was a Great series. Just kept getting better. WM1 is the authority on this so I simply agree with him. Thanks for sharing.

lastman416lastman416over 4 years ago
Fantastic

I’m not sure if the longer format stories are enabling better writing or if they just flow better because I can read them all at once. Either way, this wa great. Definitely professional level.

I’m curious about why you’ve set it a few years in the future, however.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
tx2

Words escape me, but GREAT WORK.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Movie worthy title

What a great title for a story. Fortunately the actual story was fantastic. Thank you.

mower9527mower9527over 4 years ago
You are like Billy Joel's piano man -

We sit at your bar, put bread in your jar, and wonder "what the hell are you doing here?" But we are so glad you are. Thank you. Thank you so much.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Another wonderful novella

My only criticism - not enough of CSI Jill - please bring her back in the next story. I can't see her as being happy being a stay-at-home Mom forever. Besides, she has way too much talent - the police department needs her.

FWIW, enjoy your stories much more than WifeWatchman. Why? No politics. Think government could be so much better if all of us are willing to listen to, and work with, the oppostiion, instead of name-calling.

A good extended cameo by Derek - both for recognizing Kaiser, and helping Chase solve Willow's murder.

luv2read2

Wang4Wang4over 4 years ago
Wow!

This and your previous effort featuring Det Chase are tremendous reads. The other characters like the captain ,, the Kaiser, Jill etc only add dramatically to the story.

While I am sure you may have other tasks to fulfill,

I hope there are sequels. Thank you for sharing

Ed

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Amazing story. You should be a published author.

Very good story with actual plot, barring a few minor spelling mistakes. If you do get published someday, I think the world would be a better place.

MelanPoncaMelanPoncaover 4 years ago
Excellent work!

Hey CF,

This is not my usual genre, nor (honestly) does it have nearly enough sex in it for my liking, but this is a tightly written, captivating tale, with believable characters and some fun dialog. I agree with other commenters; this is certainly good enopugh to be published.

Many thanks for sharing it.

Keep up the fine work!

Mel

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Fantastic series

I'm looking forward to the story about him catching Marlene.

FljimFljimover 4 years ago
All three

Wow! I read all three in this series. Your writing is terrific. The characters are memorable. I really enjoyed them. Will take a look at the rest of your stories while waiting for the next thing you post. Jim

PileatedWPPileatedWPover 4 years ago
Captivating Story

I don't usually have time to read something this long in a single day but I just kept at it since it drew me in so well. I agree with everyone this is a first class story and thank you very much for providing such good entertainment. I wish there was a little more explanation what the Chief was doing in the office at 2am when he has a wife and two babies at home. He also very conveniently led to the overlooked clues to the point where I was beginning to think he was involved in the murder! Despite this the story was captivating and I will go back and read your earlier works. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

loved the whole series

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
LOVED IT!

Got me tear eyed with that letter...

I knew it. Once Helga was confirmed as willow handler I started suspecting her n my suspicion was confirmed once I got to know a little of O'Neil personality.

Your story is excellent and getting better as the year goes by...

Won't be surprised if you decide to publish your story,just give us a heads up,I would like to be among your first buys

Godian

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Excellent read!

Thanks so much for writing and sharing this. Really enjoyed the story and the others in the series

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Excellent

I don't even know a police officer, but it concerns me that their work seems so thankless. This great story proves otherwise...well, assuming Chase's values.

mcollectmcollectabout 4 years ago
Thank you

I absolutely loved this story, one of if not the best I have read on this site or for that matter even many p-books. Now I have to look more of your writings.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
I really hope you're a writer irl...

because this was fecking amazing. no doubt you carry all the optimism and quality of this piece in your daily life. thanks for the amazing story!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Epic

The best thing I have read in quite a while. Sort of Scandinavia noir only better. Particularly good at developing dodgy damaged and damned characters and finding some redemption. Well impressed thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Pro

I've paid for a lot of books that weren't written this well.

shopratshopratalmost 4 years ago

Fantastic story. I haven't seen any other author use the rotating 1st person narrative form quite this effectively. I'm just a reader but your stuff is up there with the best of the pros, IMO.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Brilliant

That's it. Brilliant.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Write a TV pilot

This is a brilliant story. Easily one of the best on this site. You should recast it as a TV pilot and then pitch it to Amazon, HBO or one of the other streaming channels.

Looking forward to more... :--)

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooterover 3 years ago
Ho. Lee. Chit. Good story.

Great story, truly epic. One of the best I've read, ever.

WargamerWargamerover 3 years ago

Top story. Could not put it down, so well written.

Great job CF. Reading more of your stuff now

This one scores, like the other, 5/5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
The Bad Guys

Dont see a great deal of other comments talking about this, so id like to show some appreciation for the "bad guys" of the story (though are they really?) Something about the irishmen made this story stick with me more than all the others. Perhaps it was the personality you gave them, or maybe the emotion they show, but something about them felt tangibly real. Patricks internal struggle, their final moments, it all makes you stop and hesitate and think. This one felt so much less black and white compared to the rest of the series and so much more relatable. Especially liked the final passage from flannery's perspective. Those few short paragraphs gave them more character and humanity than most whole stories on this site manage with their characters. These characters are the ones that are so often overlooked, but also the ones that make this story so wonderful to read.

phantommasterphantommasteralmost 3 years ago

I usually never comment on stories I read . I give rating but not comments. This is the third subsequent comment I have posted on three different stories of yours. Unputdownable.

snathsnathalmost 3 years ago

Although English is not my mother tongue but in a span of 50 years I have read a few and far between. For me it was clumsy and difficult to navigate because all the characters were describing the events in the first person and took some time to get adjusted to. A re-read will make more palatable for me, I am sure. Five starred.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Sorry I can’t award a higher rating than five. This story and the new ones are magnificent. You’re a talented writer with an unusual ability to describe characters succinctly.

nestorb30nestorb30almost 3 years ago

Jesus, you should be on the best seller list and be doing book signing tours at Barnes and Noble

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The rating method only has 5 stars. You're an excellent author. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your story, it was hard to put it down.

5+++++stars!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Just in the process of rereading all your work. This I think is a stand out piece. You should be writing a Netflix film noir series. I hope you are getting traction and results out there. Matt McCloskey mattmccloskey7@gmail.com

lukeshortlukeshortover 2 years ago

I read this story a few years ago. Don't remember my comments or rating. I only recalled reading the story about 2/3 of the way through. My age (79) allows me to reread good stories like they are new. This is a well written mystery that will be worth reading for years. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This story and all of your stories I have read are well done. They have excellent character development, great plots and enough erotic parts to keep it interesting throughout!! You should seriously consider a novel and specifically a justice based novel!! Outstanding!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

So glad I reread this brilliant story! Thank you. Please, more Chase.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I'm very impressed.

Thank you!

TuppannTuppannabout 2 years ago

This is the 2nd time I'm reading this story.

I've read the Criminal Affairs series a few months back but I didn't finish the series. And now I'm back to reading all the way from the beginning again, but this time I'm reading all the way to the last word of the last chapter.

So far this is my all time favorite from this series and from your stories.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 2 years ago

Nothing like a good detective story with a little romance, a little sex and a lot of everything else. Great story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

It took me all of a fucking day to read it, and it was worth every second.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I guess I'm coming a little late to the party. I just found you and your work and have done nothing the last two days but read your stories. Remarkable imagination and storytelling.

As I read 'The Irishman' I thought it could have been tightened up with a little editing but then thought you were trying to fully flesh out your characters, which I think you achieved. Also, I have found from your other stories that the information becomes pertinent in later stories.

You're three steps ahead of me CaffeineFetish. Oh, to have your talent.

Thank you for all your time and effort simply for our enjoyment.

Doc

PurplefizzPurplefizzalmost 2 years ago

Completely riveting! Like a lot of readers I’m following your CA series, your writing is very clearly improving as I read, the Christmas scene and it’s light hearted banter is obvious evidence of this, not appearing like that in previous stories, despite there being occasions where it would have worked. Please keep writing, you have a talent, it’d be a shame to waste it. 5⭐️

Many thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Absolutely solid writing...always better to show than to tell...I will go read the next one now!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

This is the third time I am reading all your stuff from beginning to end. This is a magnificent story. I care about the folk; they are complex and messy and I care. Well done and keep going. mattmccloskey7@gmail.com

Helmsman0305Helmsman0305almost 2 years ago

Only got one thing to say, "Why can't I give this and all your other works 10 stars!"

jsch1947jsch1947almost 2 years ago

Why on Gods Earth are you not publishing?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

No - SIX stars! Plot development far surpasses anything else I have read here,

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Excellent...

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 1 year ago

One hell of a story, all five stars just aren't enough, but will have to do. There was one thing that I didn't ring true, how did Willow find out that Lafferty was working for the FBI? Kind of stretching things to believe she just stumbled on that information. Other than that, a really great story.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 1 year ago

A very good story and follows up on those before it. 5 stars for the second time, I wish.

kameljockeykameljockey12 months ago

If I could I would rate this a 5 to the second power. Thank you for sharing this. Very powerful story.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Great stuff! Better than Grissom. Please continue writing. Panther fan.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

The clever character development and subtle twists of your plot are evidence you’re becoming an excellent writer. Thanks so much.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Fabulous ending. 5 stars.

nighthawk22204nighthawk222045 months ago

Very, very good writing, gives us a lot of detailed information about the complexities of operating a peace keeping operation in a complex urban environment. And the complexities of maintaining peace among the operators therein.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

I found the letter from the mother over the top and deleting database records should be discovered in the log files.

Otherwise I loved the story and would have given 5 stars without hesitation.

On to the next story. Dutch

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

First, love the story! Secondly, I happen to know a 911 operator, and the ordering a pizza thing is something she was trained to recognize. Absolutely nothing against this story, but I thought it worth mentioning to anyone out there who reads this, that if you are ever in a situation where you need to be sneaky about calling for help, dial 911 and order a pizza. They will walk you through it just like shown in this story! It won't be a fluke thing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCaffeineFetish@CaffeineFetish
ANNOUNCEMENT: I've just published the first book of the Chase Kramner series on Amazon Kindle. The Sorority will likely be on the site in a few days, under the title "The Last Snowman" under the author Joshua Wise. Get yourself a digital copy and leave an honest review. The ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories