The Island Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alrun's preferred weapon was the long-axe, which she swung with force despite her size. She cut down everything and everybody before her like straw on a field.

However, this was not the skills needed now but her excellent healing abilities.

She started by removing the bandage from a wound, then washed it with the salt water from the sea, most often causing the person being washed to grind her teeth and moan.

Next, she checked for leftover spear or sword points, or other 'debris' in the wound.

If it was a limb, she gently moved it and pressed her fingers to check for fractures.

Having gotten a good idea of the damage she applied her 'paste'.

The ingredients were a secret, but Ragnhild knew that Mandrake, Black Henbane and Stinking Nightshade were some of the vital ingredients.

Birla, her little helper moved the persons legs apart, while Alrun scooped a good blob of this mixture on to her index finger. Then pushed the finger into the persons vagina and moved it back and forth slowly a few times. Sometimes she let the person suck her finger afterwards.

Then she moved to the next wounded Maiden.

When she had been through the whole row, she returned to the first one.

This person was now smiling, had half-closed eyes, and were drifting around between "Valhalla" and "Hel".

She knew a Maiden would have a pleasant but burning sensation in her womb from the paste. Radiating out into every fibre of her body and letting her mind wander freely.

Even a badly broken limb could now be set without the Maiden uttering more than a soft moan.

Alrun definitely knew what she was doing.

The walking wounded set up camp in the meantime.

Ragnhild had assigned a couple to stay hidden by the beach and look out for approaching ships.

They had plenty of salted and cured meat and fish and soon the smell of meat roasting over an open fire tickled their nostrils.

Ragnhild was the last to have her wound attended. It was a cut in her shoulder muscle, where her chain mail top had failed to protect her against an axe.

She refused Alrun's paste. Just took her belt off and bit into it as hard as she could.

A cleaning and a tight bandage made her ready to go on, but she would have another scar to the collection that graced her body already.

They ate the roasted meat in silence and had some mead with it.

The wounded just dazed on. They could wait till the morning to be fed.

Silence and snoring settled over the camp and Ragnhild went and checked the two Maidens on the beach watch, before curling up on the ground by the smouldering fire and closing her eyes.

--

The next morning most of them were back on their feet. A full night's sleep had done them all a lot of good.

The wounded had returned from their mental journey to Valhalla, but a few were in so much pain that they had to have another dose of Alrun's paste.

It did seem like they had a good chance of not losing any more of the Maidens, but they would need some days, maybe even weeks for everyone to recover fully.

They all got a chance to wash. The walking wounded went down to the sandy beach and jumped in. Cheering and laughter echoed all the way in to the clearing as the girls jumped around and splashed water on each other.

After their bath they walked back to the clearing. Bringing sheepskin sacks with water and washed the recovering bunch.

A few were so badly wounded or had lost so much blood that Alrun had just sent them on another tour of the overworld and instructed others to wash them very carefully.

All of them wore a small leather purse round their necks.

It held their bone comb, their wooden nail cleaners and toothpicks and their sharpening stone.

Some had a small amulet or totem or two.

A few had a small silver Thor's Hammer and even fewer had the new symbol: The Cross.

For most of them it was the only really personal belongings they had.

A few of the bone combs had taken a beating in the battle and was broken.

Sad as it was, others lent them theirs and all had fresh braids in no time.

Next, they all did a weapons check. Sharpened spears and swords, wiped and polished everything, and tried repairing holes in chainmail with leather straps, and straighten bumps in helmets by banging them with stones.

Ragnhild decided she would let most of them just do these chores and otherwise rest the whole day.

She took Berghild and Gunnlaug for a discovery tour of the island.

They walked through the undergrowth to the East coast.

Here the terrain rose and chalk cliffs slanted down towards the sea.

There were not any trees as the top was totally exposed to the wind.

Only low grass and heather struggled to grow here.

It seemed a good place for their burial mound. It even had a small, natural hill on the top. So, they would only need to dig a square grave and then pile some earth up to make it a fine last resting place.

When they returned, Vigdis, Alfsol and Asfried came dragging a rather large boulder into the camp.

Ragnhild smiled. She did not even have to tell their 'Rune expert' that she wanted a suitable stone for the dead. They were already working on it.

Instead she picked the ones of the crew that seemed reasonably fit and led them to the hill on the East coast.

They had brought tools along and marked out a good square and within a few hours had made a suitable hole.

They lined it with Pine branches from a small grove nearby.

Finally, they peeled off the grass in small square blocks a bit down the hill.

The made a pile of these close to the top.

They were not all done but Ragnhild decided it was time to go back and rest for now.

Back at the camp Vigdis had split the boulder with her chisels and hammers so she now had a large, flat area to work on. She was happily hammering away with her tools and splinters flew around her as she cut the runes into the hard rock.

They spend the next day preparing, and on the third day it was time.

The sun rose and the sky was a clear blue when they started for the hill.

Only a few of them were still in too poor condition to participate.

The rest formed a long caravan winding along the path to the mound.

Alrun lead on. Then came the four stretchers with the dead.

Almost everyone had participated in washing the dead bodies and their clothes, braiding their hair, polishing their helmets and armour, and making sure they looked their absolute best.

After the stretchers Ragnhild walked alone and then came the rest of them.

The rear guard was made up of the wounded that had to support each other or use branches for crutches.

When they reached the square hole in the hill they lifted the four bodies off the stretchers and placed them side by side.

They gathered around the hole.

Ragnhild stepped to the edge of the grave, drew her knife, and punctured the index finger on her left hand. Dripping a little blood down in the hole.

She then spoke in a loud and clear voice: "Beloved blood-sisters. Fare well on your journey and reserve a seat for me in Valhalla!"

She then stepped back and the next one stepped up and repeated the puncture and the words.

This went on till all had spilled a little blood on the dead bodies.

Then Alrun stepped forward. Holding a clay pot in both hands. She looked round.

"Shield Maidens. May you get the seat you deserve in Valhalla next to Freja and may everyone speak of your merits with respect. We, your fellows will remember you, your courage and your strength for ever."

Alrun lifted the pot up with both hands!

"To our sister Randi, whose name means "Shield" and who disregarded any danger to be a shield to us!"

Alrun took a sip of the pot, then lifted it up again: "To our sister Tora, who got her name from "Tor", the strongest of them all!"

She took another sip: "To Ulfhild, most beloved, and aptly named after "Wolf" and "Fight". A true fighter to the end." They all smiled at these words as Alrun took another sip.

"Finally: To our dear Sigrid, whose name means "The beauty of victory". A name never more fitting than to her!"

Alrun took one last sip, then passed the pot to the woman next to her.

She also took a sip and passed it on.

It went around the full circle of Maidens and when it returned to Alrun she smashed it at the foot end of the four bodies.

They stood for a little while. Each of them remembering the fond times they had spent with the now dead Maidens.

As if on cue, a flock of Raven's appeared and circled the hill for a few times before making it across the island and towards the mainland.

They all walked back in silence.

Ranghild had selected a group to stay behind and cover the square hole and start piling the grass blocks in order to make the hill higher.

That night the camp was silent. Only Vigdis's chisel was heard hammering on the boulder long into the night.

--

The next day, Ragnhild sent most of them over to the hill to cut turf and work on the mound.

Then she inspected the boulder. Vigdis was rather proud and also had almost no skin left on her fingers and hands.

On the top was their "Mark": The same as was sewn on their sail: A triangle balancing on a point.

Underneath it said he four names: Randi, Sigrid, Tora and Ulfhild.

Then came the usual "clause": "Vigdis made the stone, and he who removes it will be forever damned".

Ragnhild was just as pleased as Vigidis and everyone that came by admired it. Vigdis had even put some red colour into the grooves and the Runes cleverly followed the shape, so it looked like the inscription and stone was made for each other.

Late that day, they wrapped it in a bit of tarpaulin and hung the bundle from a heavy branch. Then lifted it and carried it to the mound.

Two days later they were finished and the stone proudly adored the top of the artificial hill.

A very fitting grave and memorial for four very brave and honest Shield Maidens.

--

They had one more thing to do. Someone had found a bubbling and stinking deep well just off their campsite.

They broke all the weapons and armour they had taken from their enemies. Then had a small ceremony as they dropped it all into the well.

A small offering to the Gods for their help in the battle.

They took it for a good sign as the bubbles that constantly came up from below

increased for the next couple of days.

They still had the luck of the Gods with them.

--

A week later they had repaired the ship and sail and there were only two wounded that were not fully recovered.

Torgunn had lost two fingers and was being treated for an infection and swelling in the hand. Alrun was sure it would pass and did her best, but it would take some time.

Solveig had trouble breathing as she had had a powerful blow to her side, but even that did not make Alrun overly concerned. Time would also heal that.

Of course, Ragnhild still limped on her swollen leg, but she did not consult Alrun. It was just a great blow to the muscles, and she knew it would go away by itself.

So, the day came when they broke camp, lifted their repaired ship out from the path and down onto the sandy beach. Loaded everything and everybody on board and took off.

Ragnhild insisted they sailed around the island before going away.

- and they all stood and looked at the single boulder in the sun at the top of the mound as they made good speed away from the island.

The Ravens gave them one last greeting. It was as if they had been waiting for them. When Gudrin passed the mound on the hill a large flock of them took off from the trees and circled a few times before settling again.

Chapter Twenty-One - Present Day - A Party and More Discoveries

by o_girl © 2024

After about two months on the island Brynhild and Sunniva hosted a grand party.

The reason was the old Nordic custom: "Rejsegildet".

Meaning "Roof Beam Party" or "Barn Raising Ceremony" in English.

They upheld the tradition and as soon as their new house had walls and the roof beams were up, the Navers raised a flagpole in the middle.

It had three wreaths hung below each other. The smallest was at the top.

They were woven of spruce and had coloured bands intertwined.

It was an ancient and pagan rite to call on the good will of the Gods to protect the new house.

The Navers had insisted on doing this, and Bryn and Sunny had gladly agreed.

They had moved into the unfinished house. Waiting for the roof and the solar panels that were to occupy half of the roof. The back part of the roof that had an angle facing south.

They used the wood shutters at night as the tempered, thermo glass windows and doors were also still in transit.

The caravan had been delivered back to the mainland and they were quite happy living in the half-finished house.

Trawler had visited a lot. Usually his excuse was bringing a crate or box that had landed on the village harbour addressed to them.

They all knew it was an excuse, but the girls liked his attention and happily showed him each new thing when he arrived.

This day they were down at their new dock by the sandy beach waiting for him to dock his boat.

A steel grid with a padlocked door had been constructed at the entrance to the cave, so no one would land and go in there without permission.

The new dock was concrete with a steel reinforcement wall towards the sea. The top was a sturdy wood plank deck, but the best thing was a row of mooring clamps evenly distributed along the edge and firmly rooted into the concrete.

Sunny had of course done a survey of the bottom before concrete had been poured in. She had found a lot more coins, an almost intact fibula, and bits and pieces of broken jewellery as well as pottery shards.

The 'rusty football' Bryn had found on her first diving expedition down along the foundations of the ancient dock had been X-Rayed and turned out to be a Roman model. They had had several exact copies made and they were now elegantly providing mooring fastenings for ships.

At the far end of the dock and on the outside wall just under the edge, they had had a Bronze plate made with the text. "Lily Rose - Reserved - Trawler Jones" in three lines below each other.

Trawler's face had blushed purple and he had given them each a crushing hug the first time he had seen it.

Now, his old boat slowly chugged in between the buoys they had put in place to make navigation around the cliff with the lighthouse and to the dock safe.

They caught the lines and secured the boat.

He had been washed and had his hair and beard cut into shape. He also wore an absolutely clean overall and shone with joy: "Hello my favourite ladies, and thank you for the invite!"

"Of course, Trawler. You were the first one on our guest list, welcome!" They both replied in unison.

He swung an accordion that seemed to have known better days over his shoulder and together they walked up to the house, as the girls pointed and explained what had happened since he was last there.

Between the house and stables there was a lot of activity. The construction people and the Navers were running back and forth.

Temporary tables had been set up in long rows and in the middle a whole cow was turning slowly over a coal fire.

They gave Trawler a quick tour of the house and stables.

Then more people arrived.

The Inn keeper had to stay home and tend the Inn, but his wife came with an assortment of other women and their men from the village.

The mood had gradually swung in favour of Brynhild and Sunniva as they had made the village flourish. All the construction workers and people having business on the island requiring "Bed & Breakfast" and spending good money at "The General Store".

Sunny shivered slightly when the two young men they had had the confrontation with at the Inn came over and gave them each a solid handshake.

One of them even muttered a kind of excuse of their behaviour at that time.

Over her shoulder, Sunny noticed Trawler being not that far away and watching the encounter.

She was not sure the excuse was done quite voluntarily.

Just after noon everyone was there. Bryn jumped up on an empty crate and banged on a pot with a wooden spoon.

Silence.

Then she spoke: "Welcome all. To our little island. Sunniva and I wish to thank one and all for the reception at your village on the shore, and the great help and corporation in making this dream come true for us. I am not a good speaker, so I just wish you all good appetite and thirst and that we will have a good day together. Please be seated and have some food and drink."

She jumped down and people shuffled to the tables and sat down.

They had deliberately asked the Navers to not sit together, so a lot of villagers found themselves beside a muscular woman with strange clothes.

It did not take long before everyone was talking to everyone. Aided by the strong Cider Sunny had brewed.

At the end of their stables they had had a small brewery made and although their own orchard between the house and the stables were just small trees at the moment, Sunny had had a considerable load of apples transported in to be 'converted' into a tasty brew.

After a prolonged meal with many, many toasts, they cleared the tables and one of the Navers grabbed the guitar - and yes, Bryn had had her hands on it earlier so it was in tune.

It did not take long before another of the Navers clapped the rhythm with wood spoons, and Trawler joined in the fun with his old accordion.

Bryn and Sunny stayed on the outside perimeter and kept an eye on everything.

They found it quite amusing that the two guys from the pub was almost carried around in a wild reel by each of the Naver woman. The women being at least one head taller and definitely more muscular than the guys.

The Innkeeper's wife had found a construction worker with about the same body mass as her and although she was obviously also a more than elderly lady, they swirled around with an elegance and quickness you would not think her age and their combined weight allowed them.

Lighthouse Tom probably set foot on the main island for the first time ever, but was very popular and hardly had time to leave the dancing to get a quick drink and a snack of the leftover roast.

Even the chubby Estate agent was dancing - with the foreman of the three-felling gang.

The sun rose as the last of the party-goers either made it for their boats at the dock, or took one of the camp beds the girls had placed in rows in their unfinished living room.

Bryn and Sunny sat in the sand in front of the house looking out over the water.

"Well. That went very well. Did it not?" Bryn said.

"Yes, extremely well, and everybody seemed to have had a good time."

Bryn giggled: "Well helped by your witches brew. You do a mean cider, my love!"

They both laughed.

"Let's go for a morning swim, dear." Bryn rose and dropped her clothes. Then ran into the water between two of the boulder piers.

They splashed water on each other like children. Then met in a sweet embrace, kissed for a long time, and walked naked and wet hand in hand back to the beach, into the house and upstairs to their bedroom.

Sunny dropped down on her back, and Bryn landed on top of her.

"Hey, Bryn you are lying the wrong way?" Sunny smiled.

"Nope. This is just the right way, my heart!"

Bryn spread her knees on each side of Sunny's head and dived down between her legs.

Giving her a very soft kiss just above her opening.

Sunny moaned, swung her arms around Bryn's legs and tried to lift her head to the dark red flower just above her.

Bryn deliberately teased her. She lowered her hips until Sunny could just get her tongue in contact with the soft lips. Then pulled up again.

In the other end, she had full control. Used her tongue, lips, and teeth. Caressing, licking, sucking in and around Sunny's opening.