All Comments on 'The Jansky Effect'

by MattblackUK

Sort by:
  • 81 Comments
HarddaysknightHarddaysknight5 months ago

That was an interesting story. Travel fast enough and you don't age. Great idea for a story. Five stars.

MightyheartMightyheart5 months ago

Amazing story.

5/5

Buster2UBuster2U5 months ago

What a heartbreaking Whore. She put "Learning" above all else. Leaving the only man that should have mattered to her behind, just to go off on an adventure. 5 Big Blazing Stars to MattBlack for writing a great story of selfishness and heartbreak. This super selfish twat didn't give a rat's ass about her husband when she had a chance for an adventure by herself. This twat was as bad as Linda in February Sucks. Poor Dude, shattered life because a selfish Self Centered wife. Whether she had sex with Quester or not doesn't matter. Her hubby spent his ENTIRE life lonely because of her selfishness and betrayal by leaving him. Great Writing. Thks, Buster2U

c24jc24j5 months ago

Very romantic story!! AND, a bit closer to my heart . . . My Mom confided in me she and my Dad believed that space travel would come about more quickly than it actually did. They made an agreement (late 1950's) that they would willingly part if one of them was given the opportunity to explore and/or colonize somewhere in space.

Oatmeal1969Oatmeal19695 months ago

Weird story about a man wasting his life and a wife that abandons her husband "to seek out new information and data from around the Universe" but never shared that knowledge with anyone.

stev2244stev22445 months ago

That was good and original. Relativistic effects mixed with LW. I still feel bad for the guy, though.

Cracker270Cracker2705 months ago

Buster nailed. Very well written story with a perfectly shitty story line.

TechumsahTechumsah5 months ago

Well written. She was kind of a self centered twat though.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

So so writing but hate the story line. Why did she even return? Was it 40 years to her or just a day? Sex with the alien or no?

EZ8ltEZ8lt5 months ago

Bad Doctor Who wannabe.

lujon2019lujon20195 months ago

"But does that mean I didn't love Dave?" Kathy asked, in a troubled tone of voice.

.

Yes, that is exactly what it means. Love is a state of being where your partners happiness is integral to your well being.

.

Daves happiness was NOT integral to her well being, she didnt love Dave

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Good enough to coming closer to believing astrophysical matters may be our doom and end.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

A four star story. It would have been five stars if she had shared her learning with humanity. By the way, even if they had "named a star" for Dave, it would have meant nothing unless the new name had been

admitted to a star registry.

JPB

Tomh1966Tomh19665 months ago

Didint like but didnt vote it down either.

robinhodrobinhod5 months ago

Different! Unique. Sad. Better than it's current marking, so I've helped it up a bit.

fred324afred324a5 months ago

JPB - submitting a name to a star registry is just as official as scratching the name in wet concrete somewhere. Those things are just scams. Nice story, though.

laptopwriterlaptopwriter5 months ago

Well, that was different. I loved it. Very creative. 5 stars.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy5 months ago

Wonderful story!

5

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Well hush my mouth! I don't believe it, I actually agree with buster for once! Now if only buster would apply those comments of his in his own stories! This was a good story, the premise was interesting, it was well executed. But Kathy!

Kathy is absolutely a self-centered and cold-hearted woman. Even if she spent 40 Earth time years without engaging in alien hanky panky with Questor (but who knows, only Kathy and Questor do). She left her husband to be with someone else. For Kathy, the actual time was not as long, because... you know, Einstein! But still, she had to know her husband, she had to know that he would be adversely affected by her leaving. Dave should have clocked Questor upside his alien head for even making the offer of taking Kathy with him! Then he could have had a jump start at leading the team reverse engineering Questor's starship after divorcing Kathy for her infidelity. Yes, she cheated by unilaterally agreeing to with Questor in the first place! She cut Dave out of her life and their marriage. But now single, Kathy can visit Questor at the lab in Area 51 and interview him about his travels.

5★ story... (grumble, grumble, faithless bitc...)

sbrooks103xsbrooks103x5 months ago

"It will tell you when Kathy is returning to you. Goodbye, Dave, you are a good man. Please, live a good life." - The last sentence seems to contradict the first. It seems to say that he'll never see Dave again, but won't he see him when Kathy returns?

\

"Was your sacrifice worth it, Dave?" - That's more for her to say. Was what she learned worth abandoning her husband?

\

Would have been better if they had acquired the knowledge to restore Dave's youth, and he and Kathy resume their life together. Nothing was said about what she and Quester had been doing besides exploring.

\

It would have been a different story, obviously, but how difficult would it have been to add a third seat?

\

Quester's answer as to why he didn't ask Dave is a little self-serving.While he's probably right that Dave would have declined,but he should have been given the chance,but Quester didn't want to risk not having Kathy along.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

George Jones sang a song about this sort of a situation. Only the woman who left only came back at the funeral. The song's resolution to the story was far more satisfying than this. At least the sucker didn't have to see her again and be reminded that he had pissed his life away pining for a worthless baggage. But very well written even if I personally think the MC was pathetic and not worth any sympathy. 5 stars.

26thNC26thNC5 months ago

Good story, but Dave was much too good of a man for that selfish woman.

AlluredAllured5 months ago

A lot left out

CagivagurlCagivagurl5 months ago

Sweet story....

Long distance romance at it's best...

Sad, but beautifully told

5 stars.

Cagivagurl

steeltiger01steeltiger015 months ago

An oddly difficult and slightly disconcerting story, Matt. It's got a kind of beauty, and a thought-provoking bent to it.

Busman19639Busman196395 months ago

Loving Wives or Sci Fi?

brian_scoobybrian_scooby5 months ago

Very much enjoyed this story… but only 4-stars for me. Dave should have found someone OR something else (an organization). Waiting for 40+ years for someone to show up just seems so desolate to me. Thanks

ReadyOneReadyOne5 months ago

Formula; not a LW trope but common sc/fi - outer limits plot going back at least 2 centuries.

.

@lujon2019: Exactly.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

She came back to visit her dog before putting him down. How quaint!

Billy_Ray_BanBilly_Ray_Ban5 months ago

In the end, the wife In a his story wasn’t worthy of the husbands love or sacrifice. Of course, the husband should have realized as soon as she made the decision to leave. He should hav kicked her to the cosmos, and mov d on. BRB

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Mean, evil spirited, user, faking that she cared for her husband. NO noble attributes in this vicious woman.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodle5 months ago

Different but honestly, Dave deserved better.

She abandoned him for adventure and she got it while Dave got nothing. Why even come back? Love? For whom? Dave? Hardly. She left him without even a backward glance.

She came back so she could suck what little life he had left and make his demise all about her.

Medussa55Medussa555 months ago

As usual a great story but it wasn't really my kind of plot and I'm not sure why. Yes this is loving wives where a spouse is expected to be selfish and self centred but Kathy completely destroyed Dave's life leaving him to spend all his years wondering if today would be the day she returned. When she left he had no idea if she would be gone for days or weeks I doubt he thought it would be decades Then she returns and realises what she has cost him so, out of guilt, she pays for his funeral. I'm afraid the 'last link with Earth' statement is wrong, that, for her, was burned many years before.

A 5* story for the writing but as a romantic with an ocassional evil dark side not for me sadly.

Medussa55Medussa555 months ago

As an additional the old maxim applies for Dave 'If you love something let it go, if it returns it's yours forever. If it doesn't it was never yours in the first place'.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

It's a middling story at best. Why return at all at the end of his life? And with no technology to reverse aging at that. And why the fuck wasn't he mad at her? He wasted his god damn personal life waiting for her. He should have shot the alien cockroach the moment they returned.

Story sucked because it never addressed if she actually fucked the alien, even though that's the obvious question. I'm leaning towards no. She was just that much of a cold hearted bitch that she never gave a second thought to her husband's declaration that he'd wait for her forever.

KaeyoKaeyo5 months ago

Kathy was an incredibly selfish woman who abandoned her husband. Dave was a naive and fatally romantic idiot to effectively put his entire life on hold waiting fir his “love” to return.

Nicely written but very unsatisfying.

Rolando1225Rolando12255 months ago

You never wait for those who abandon you, no matter the reason they gave you. Deep down Kathy loved herself and her needs more than Dave and he was stupid and naive enough to wait for her while living a life of solitude and neglect. Makes you wonder, why the technologically more advanced alien explorer was traveling all alone. Thanks for the story even though I didn't like it. All I saw in the story is a life partially wasted. Life is a unique and fragile gift, and we must honor it by living it like there is no tomorrow, because we are never sure there is one...

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Gross. I hated all these characters. Questwr and Kathy are lazy and selfish in how they think, talk, and act. Husband was too much a pushover, and he believed in her. All she did was string him along. Yes, she made a half hearted attempt to tell him to move on. But that's it. He did deserve better. But he chose to suffer a martyr, so I can't excuse his behavior either. Quester is without a shred of decency. Awful cast of characters overall.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfire5 months ago

Matt, thanks for a very interesting and different take on the challenge theme. I felt sorry for Dave but he made his choice like she did and the. Paid for it for all of those years. The ending was sad but was glad to see he had at least a little brightness in his life. 5* and thanks for participating in Randi’s challenge.

JH4FunJH4Fun5 months ago
Not one of your better tales - 2 Stars

You have written so many good ones. Just because I didn't like this one as much doesn't mean I want you to stop creating.

Looking forward to more new productions from you based on past efforts, not this one. While I didn't enjoy this one it was quite creative.

Keep Writing

JH4Fun

Rocky62Rocky625 months ago

And Dave doesn’t ask if shez been boinking aliens or why she hasn’t aged?

Russ43ChandlerRuss43Chandler5 months ago

Too far fetched for comment.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc5 months ago

Not sure what to think of this one. Too short for me to buy into your universe, that much I know. 4.1*

secretsalsecretsal5 months ago

Just feels maudlin in a very low-key way. Almost like the story's advising us not to be a dumbass like Dave, but doesn't really commit either way. Different plot than most, but I didn't come away feeling anything strong about it.

King_MacAulayKing_MacAulay5 months ago

Melancholy but good. Didn't realize it was The Doctor for a moment there, took me way longer than it should have.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJ5 months ago

What a wasted life.

slowhand21slowhand215 months ago

What a selfish woman and a foolish man.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Fuck that selfish bitch…she should die in a black hole.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Very well told story. Sad, but entertaining and thought-provoking nonetheless. I like it very much.

lAnatomistelAnatomiste5 months ago

An OK story - but just OK.

How did it come about that Kathy failed to age? _Dave_ would know about relativistic time dilation, but why did no one in the nursing-home staff ask?

Why didn't;t Dave ask what she'd learned on her trip, that she couldn't have learned staying home.

Oh, and why was there no contact with their patron, Mr. Philson? Heck, the only reason for the pair to be in the desert was Philson's fascination with the Jansky Radiation. _Nature_ or _Proceedings of the Royal Society_ would probably reject any paper, but who knows, a young Brian May might have gotten so interested he'd have never started playing guitar.

Frank66Frank665 months ago

So...... what did Kathy learn about the universe??

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Nice piece of fiction. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

This!!!

"And Dave doesn’t ask if shez been boinking aliens or why she hasn’t aged?"

TwentysevenTwentyseven5 months ago

I find it hard to take this story seriously.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Sci-fi cuck story. Awful. She abandoned him and he just sad sacked it.

njlaurennjlauren5 months ago

Interesting premise where the loving wife cheats because she has the incredible need to see things. So she goes off on this 40 year journey ( note, they were in their late 20s, so he would be like 68), then comes back to him for his last week....pretty shady, why come back at all?

The other thing is so she goes off with the Alien, presumably sees all these things, but for what? Knowing and seeing things for yourself without being able to share it with anyone else is literally mental masturbation.

The other problem is you don't think his wife shows up, not aged, and the ppl there aren't on the horn to NASA?

The other thing is wouldn't Dave go into something else since he knows there are aliens out there?

njlaurennjlauren5 months ago

There is the obvious question did Kathy boink Questor. In reality alien species would likely not have the human vagina/people penis, or that Questors sexuality would make her attractive..so unlikely. Then what was Questors purpose? If he was lonely, could have gotten one of his own. As trained as Kathy was her knowledge would be caveman level to a being that could travel interstellar distances. Would he like taking a neanderthal and showing him the JPL.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmith5 months ago

Well written sad story.

JackInYerBoxJackInYerBox5 months ago

@Rocky62 .. He didn't need to ask why she hadn't aged. Being a scientist himself, he understood the relationship between time and velocity. As velocity increases, time slows down. The author must have assumed, apparently incorrectly, his readers would be aware of that basic scientific fact.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

I suppose I don’t get the point of the story. Knowledge, to my mind, isn’t useful without either sharing or applying it. You’d imagine that she would tell someone…anyone about her findings.

MrSirManMrSirMan5 months ago

Bitches gonna do what bitches gonna do. LOL. I think that should be a LW rap song!

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Dave never asks Kathy if she thought it was worth it to leave him, and why. Perhaps he was afraid of the answer.

tezcortezcor5 months ago

Well that sucked for Dave….. good story

Harryin VAHarryin VA5 months ago

So this is like psychobabble in outer space with Advanced civilizations? Jesus fucking Christ I knew that's mattblack was nuts but I didn't think he was this screwed up the head

Mrhappy4aaMrhappy4aa5 months ago

Wrong category... Definitely not a "Loving Wife" story, this is a terrible "Sci-Fi" tale of cuckolding, in a sense. She takes off to explore the universe with a 'male' space alien and leaves her poor husband back here in earth, now that's love for you.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Well written and engaging story. It was also very sad. 5*****

WargamerWargamer5 months ago

You told a story about a selfish bitch and a stupid man who gave up his life for the selfish c**t.

A downer story with no redeeming features at all.

2/5

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Poorly written. NO LOVE FROM WIFE. He shouldve moved on with his life and had a family while the cunt was off fucking ET.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Now5 months ago

Interesting. Well told.

OOAAOOAA5 months ago

What a bitch!!! Stealing all his husband life for granted... She would be root in hell...

TonyGWTonyGW5 months ago

Loving Wives stories fall into either burn her to the ground, burn her but reconcile or reconcile regardless, then there is what ever the Fu.k that was.

Really don't know what you were trying to do here.

Please tell me you were drunk and don't remember writing it.

You have certainly done better.

onlythelonelyloveonlythelonelylove5 months ago

A woman with the same mindset and more obvious narcissistic tendencies than that sad sack from “Splashdown.” Well written and left a quite sour taste in the mouth. No learning taking place there…

RanDog025RanDog0255 months ago

Damn, I just read this a few days ago but had to reread it to understand why it received such a poor score! 3.31? WTF? I thought it brilliant and gave it 5 BIG ASS FUCKING HUGE FLAMING NOVA STARS! Didn't comment on it then but now I still have to ask WTF? Some readers wouldn't distinguish a fiction from a Drivers manual from the DMV. This proves my point. Good job Matt, loved it!

RiptidestoneRiptidestone5 months ago

Very well written. Just a crappy topic. Give you a 5

WillowghbyWillowghby5 months ago
I Mostly Agree

... with the observations of Buster and Lujon in their earlier comments.

I thought about the relatively low score for MattblackUK on this story. IMO, the characters are greedy, selfish, or stupidly loyal; no winners there. No sexy scenes. Unclear and unresolved relationship between Questor and Kathy (did they bump uglies or not?) No justice for the (stupidly) good guy. A strange approach to the LW's "loving" wife.

Meanwhile, beautifully well written and very interesting. Very entertaining. That's what I look for here; not just a stroke piece or a vindictive justice piece.

Thanks, Matt. Keep 'em comin'!

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

So in the end we are all just stardust. What is out there to learn about the whole universe and more likely about ourselves and what is it worth without … love.

Captcha

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

"Poor Dave! He deserved someone better than me, someone who could have loved him as much as he loved me."

Yep. Vile, evil woman!

ZK

oldtwitoldtwit4 months ago

An odd read, liked the plot line but to me it didn't work towards the end,

InfosaugerInfosauger4 months ago

I just read it a second time and I still don't understand some angry comments?

Yes, she left him to explore the universe, but did she cheat on him? There is no indication Kathy had some kind of sex with the alien. And Kathy even encouraged her husband to divorce her and have a happy life.

You might say it was cruel what she did, but she it wasn't evil.

My romantic streak tells me when it's her turn to die her husband is still waiting for and the are happy together again in the beyond.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShit4 months ago

I don’t see any point to this story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMattblackUK@MattblackUK
Writer for over 30 years. Hack journalist, decided to try writing for Literotica, too. And still having fun here 10+ years later