The Jimmy Soul Memorial Party

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
YDB95
YDB95
579 Followers

And in the meantime, he also had to find out for sure if it was Carol that Derek was going out with that evening. If so, he really ought to ask her to the Valentine's Day dance now, he knew, while there was still time.

As luck would have it, he saw her in the science building that afternoon. "Hi, Carol!" he said, dropping his backpack at the next lab table over from hers.

"Hey, Kent," she said. "Catching up on the lab too?"

"Catching up?" Kent sniffed. "Fran says I'm top of the class."

"Fran?" Carol asked. "Oh, Professor LeClair."

"Well, that's who she is to the ones she doesn't let call her Fran," Kent said. "Anyway, I'm not catching up, I'm staying ahead."

"Good for you." Carol turned her attention back to her work, and silence reigned for a couple of minutes.

"Oh, gosh," Kent said as soon as he figured enough time had passed for his story to be plausible. "Say, Carol, sorry to interrupt you, but I think I may have lost a page of my notes from yesterday's lecture. Any chance you could meet up with me later and let me copy yours? Say, after dinner tonight?"

"Sorry, I've got plans for dinner tonight," Carol said. "I don't know how late I might be. Maybe tomorrow?"

Kent was about to say no thanks, he'd find someone else, when Professor Frances LeClair appeared from the stockroom behind the lab. "Hi guys," she said. "Kent, I overheard you just now, if you want to come by my office later to go over the notes, that'd be fine."

"Oh, thanks, Professor LeClair," Kent said. "Yeah, I guess that'd be fine."

"Wonderful," she said. "I'll be in my office for the afternoon. Carol, how's your labwork coming?"

"Better than expected, Professor," she said. "I might want to go over it with you later as well."

"That'll be fine," said the professor. "I'll be seeing you both later, then."

As soon as she was gone, Carol gave Kent a furtive look. "You didn't call her Fran, Kent."

"I felt it wasn't appropriate to while you were here. No need to make you jealous, after all."

"Right."

"So who's the lucky guy?" Kent asked. "Tonight?"

"Who said anything about a guy?" Carol asked. "I just said I was going out for dinner."

"Well, a gal like you, I just figured it'd be a hot date," Kent said. "But if not, you know, I've been looking for someone to go to the Valentine's Day dance with."

"Good luck with finding someone, then." Carol didn't look up from her notes as she said it.

"The same to you," Kent said. With three weeks to the party, there'd be plenty of time for her to come to her senses.

He didn't dare leave the room and lose track of Carol, so he had to fritter away a lot more time in the lab than he really needed before she was finally off to Fran's office. It was past four o'clock by then, and Kent had just enough time to rush back to his room and collect his political science book to keep him busy for the stakeout. He would simply tell Fran he'd found his notes after all; he only hoped she wouldn't be angry at him for not coming to her office.

The top floor of the science building had study carrels with a nice view of Derek and Carol's dorm. Kent was just settling himself there with his poli sci text when he saw Carol heading back there. Perfect. Now it was just a matter of keeping one eye on the front door while he studied.

***

Carol was more than a little paranoid about smelling like formaldehyde after the afternoon in the lab, but nothing could tamp down her joy about the plans for the evening. That day in Derek's room had been heavenly, and she could hardly wait to learn more about her new dear friend. Could it be more than friendship? It had felt wonderful in his arms the other day. So yes, it certainly could!

His door was shut when she got to their floor, but she could hear his stereo playing -- another ancient oldie she didn't recognize -- and Carol figured it was just as well he had no chance to see or smell her just now. In her room, she lost no time in undressing for the shower and pulling on her bathrobe. As she tied the sash and looked in the peephole to see if Derek's door was still closed -- it was -- she was tempted to have a bit of fun before heading for the shower. But she decided to hold off on that -- better to see how tonight went. Any chance Derek would ask her to the Valentine's Day party? It seemed more than likely if things went well.

That in turn reminded her of what Kent had almost asked her that afternoon, which had made her more than a little bit uncomfortable. Maybe she ought to ask Derek tonight? Then if Kent tried again -- as she knew him well enough to know he would -- she'd be able to say she had a date. A date with his buddy, no less! Carol had no desire to hurt Kent, but she was very well acquainted with his ego and heavens, could it use some deflating!

That settled it, Carol concluded. If tonight proved they had any chemistry at all, she would ask Derek to the dance. With that, she was confidence itself as she gathered up her towel and toiletries, and opened the door.

Karen and Neil were just leaving next door. "Hey, guys," she said.

"Going out with Derek, I hear?" Karen asked.

"Yes!" Carol saw no point in hiding her delight, nor was it news to her that there was no such thing as a secret on their little campus.

"Have a great time!" Neil said. "Hope he asks you to our team party."

"I hope so too," Carol said. She was already off to the bathroom as she said it, so she didn't notice Neil's smirk in response to her comment.

In the shower, it occurred to Carol that she hadn't given any thought to what to wear. It had been such a long time since her last first date, to the extent that she'd ever even really been on one. The guy she'd popped her cherry with...well, Carol preferred not to think about that. In any event, he'd been perfectly content with jeans and sweatshirts, as was Carol herself most of the time. But she'd seen the way Derek had looked at her in that long skirt the other day, and that was suitable for the winter weather with tights underneath. Anything too fancy would be overkill for a first date anyway. So it was to be a sweater and a long skirt.

When Carol slipped on her pennyloafers ten minutes later and took one last look in the mirror before opening the door, she felt like an impostor in her nice clothes. But, she reminded herself, she never imagined herself feeling that way in her fantasies, where she was always beautiful and well-coifed. As she placed the two combs in her wild curls and straightened her collar under her sweater, she imagined she was once again the professor and Derek the lucky student of the day. Surely he would see her in just that light.

When she opened the door a moment later, she saw he apparently did. He was just crossing the hall as she came into view, and Carol was rewarded with a look of delight on his face. "You look great!" he said.

"Thank you! You too!" He was wearing a dark green acrylic sweater and pressed slacks, and looking utterly huggable. But Carol restrained herself from that for the moment, and held out her arm for him to take. "I haven't been to Paoli's since freshman year," she said. "It's not the kind of place for a group outing, is it?"

"Me neither, for the same reason," Derek said. "I've been saving it for the right occasion. It's a date kind of place."

"A date kind of place," Carol repeated. "That's cute. So you're the real deal with this whole retro fifties romance stuff, are you?"

"Always have been," Derek confessed. "That's why I never minded when you called me Doo Wop. There are worse things to be known for."

There was plenty more small talk on the rest of the walk into town before things turned the least bit serious, but that was fine with Carol.

It was not fine with Kent, whose patience was rewarded with the view of the two leaving their dorm arm in arm from the science building. They were too far away for him to pick up on how well they'd both cleaned up for the occasion or to have any idea what they were talking about. But there was no question it was them. Kent was disappointed, but not surprised.

He also wasn't defeated, he reminded himself. There was plenty of time to dupe Derek into making an ass of himself and pushing Carol away. If he was really lucky, she'd be so hurt it would affect her genetics grade.

As Kent packed up his books to head off for the dining hall, he was already outlining next steps. The very next one would just have to involve bringing Derek and Nancy together surreptitiously. Easier done than said.

Every college town had to have its token romantic restaurant for the hopeless romantic students, and Paoli's was theirs. With its dim lights and plush booths and affordable options that weren't pizza (though they also had that) and a view of the quaint Midwestern square out the window, it was almost enough to let a starry-eyed college student pretend to be in Paris or Rome.

Or in an old collegiate-themed movie, as Derek mused while watching in sheer delight as Carol smoothed out her skirt and settled herself across from him. He thought it just might be the most romantic moment of his life. "I might as well tell you, this is just what I always imagined dating would be like in college," he said. Then he dissolved into laughter before she could respond.

"What's so funny?" Carol asked. "I think that's adorable!"

"Thank you!" Derek was genuinely relieved. "It just seems so silly after two years of beer blasts and pizzas and only dressing up once or twice a semester, you know?"

"I guess," Carol said. "But I think it's wonderful that there are men out there who still like that kind of thing."

"Thank you! And it's wonderful that..." He couldn't think of the right words.

"That what? Go ahead, don't be shy on a night like this, Derek!"

"Yes, thank you!" He took a deep breath and tried again. "It's great that there are women out there who, you know, are modern and want a life of their own, but can still appreciate old fashioned romance, if that makes any sense."

"It makes more than you know," Carol said. "We do talk about that sometimes in the Women in STEM club, you know -- do we always have to be capital F feminists, or is it okay to think some of what they did in the past was all right?"

"I believe that," Derek said. "I can see where that can be a balancing act sometimes." Then he chuckled, "Of course, I guess we already saw last week you're okay with patriarchal slow-dancing."

"Nothing patriarchal about it!" Carol protested. "I chose to let you lead!"

"Well, thank you for that honor, then." They laughed together, and were in great spirits when the waitress appeared at their side.

Derek ordered seafood pasta. "No offense," Carol said when they were alone again, "But I think you have to be from the East Coast to like seafood anything."

"Gah, you sound like my freshman-year roommate," Derek said.

"Was it Kent by any chance?"

"Oh, right, you know him!" Derek nodded. "Yeah, that was just the nightmare you'd think it was."

"I'm glad you were able to become friends afterwards," Carol said.

"I figured we've got three more years on this little campus, might as well let bygones be bygones." Then, remembering their conversation the other day, he said, "By the way, your name didn't come up at all at lunch today."

"Oh good, thanks," Carol said. "Not that I need to know what he's saying about me or anyone else, or anything. It's just that..."

"He's always got an agenda," Derek said. "I know. That's why your comment about being from the East Coast reminded me of him. Freshman year, he was always needling me about how we're all a bunch of snobs who don't know anything about the rest of the country. I'd like to see him last a week in my hometown."

"Tell me about your hometown," Carol said. "Enough about that jerk Kent. What brought you way out here from New England?"

"It's a pretty rough and tumble place," Derek began, reminding himself to stay as positive as he could. "The industry's been gone since the Great Depression, lots of unemployment and not a lot of encouragement for a kid who wants a life out in the wide world. So when I was in high school..."

"When you were listening to the Saturday night oldies show under the covers?" Carol teased; that image had been keeping her warm at night ever since he'd shared it with her.

"Right, then!" Derek laughed. When I was forcing myself through the motions, doing my homework, working on the yearbook where all the jocks who hated me got most of the pictures and blah blah blah -- not that I'm bitter!"

"You don't sound any more bitter than I am about those years," Carol reassured him.

"Right, thank you! Anyway, I got to looking at colleges in the Midwest because it would be such a big change of scene, and the rest is history. I don't know where I'm going when I'm done here, but it won't be back where I came from."

"I like that," Carol said.

"How about you, Carol? Med school?"

"Heck no! Doctors are so egotistical! I guess profs are too, though, aren't they? Yeah, I don't know. Something in public health, maybe."

"All the more reason medicine or academia could use someone down to earth like you," Derek said.

"Thank you!"

When dinner arrived, Derek managed to convince Carol to try a calamari ring from his pasta, and it wasn't bad. She insisted on splitting the bill when it was time to go, and was pleased when Derek didn't argue the point. It was frigid outside, and she was in a hurry to get home but not for the evening to end.

Fortunately, Derek was thinking the same. "Care for some more music back at my place?" he offered.

"Yes!" She grabbed his arm affectionately as they stepped off up the street. When she let go, their hands brushed awkwardly at first, and Carol decided it was her turn to lead. "Here," she said, and she took his hand firmly in hers.

He squeezed back. "Thanks," he said. "I was dying to do that."

Carol laughed in agreement, and wondered what else he might be dying to do. She found herself more than willing if that was what he had in mind, but decided against pushing the issue.

She was utterly proud to be holding his hand as they got back to campus, and was a touch disappointed that she didn't see anyone she knew well as they made their way back to their dorm. Even their floor was empty for the moment, though the sounds of a room party wafted down from the other end of the hall. "How'd you like the floor last semester, by the way?" Derek asked.

"Oh, I'm the old lady of the floor," Carol said. "The one I'm sure they're laughing their butts off at for studying all the time. But I get along fine with everyone when we do talk."

"Me too, so far," Derek said. "Of course you know Neil's my buddy."

"And no offense, but I know about Neil!" Carol couldn't help herself as she sat down on Derek's bed and watched him turn on the stereo.

"So do I," Derek admitted. "But he has redeeming qualities." As "Oh What a Nite" by the Dells burst forth from the speakers, he added, "But I doubt he slow dances when he can help it."

Carol laughed and threw her arms around him, and wondered if he was going to kiss her. All through the first song, she anticipated his next move, which she was more than prepared to welcome. When he didn't do anything but continue to sway her gently around the floor, she was more than content with that.

When the song came to an end, Derek stopped swaying but tightened his embrace, to Carol's utter delight. She squeezed back and kissed his cheek, and Derek responded in kind. They turned their heads slowly to face one another, and their lips met. The next song was faster, but neither of them paid it any mind as they shared in the bliss of the moment.

When they finally came up for air, neither of them said anything right away. As she let Derek hold her in companionable silence, Carol remembered her resolution from before. "Will you go to the Valentine's Day dance with me?" she asked.

"Will I ever!" he rejoined, and they kissed again.

Derek was too much the gentleman to push things any further, and Carol decided to leave it at that as they kissed good night. "Want to come study tomorrow night?" Derek said as she opened the door.

"Sure, but I wonder how much studying we'll be able to do!" Carol laughed.

"Me too, but let's live dangerously," Derek said, and he gave her a final squeeze.

Back in her room, Carol all but tore her clothes off and went to town on herself, coming four times before she even thought about changing into her nightgown. She had little doubt Derek was up to the same across the hall, which of course stirred up her own arousal even more. Tomorrow night, she knew, there'd be no stopping either of them!

Best of all, she realized as she was coming for the final time, she wasn't envisioning an idealized version of herself getting it on with Derek. She was envisioning her real self. And Derek found her beautiful.

***

Bruce Kawalcyck was a sophomore, but he was already the top shotput thrower on campus. He was built and chiseled, and he was standing next to the table when Nancy looked up at lunch on Sunday. "Hi, Nancy," he drawled.

"Bruce!" Nancy recalled him from a deadly boring economics course last semester, when she'd spent as much time admiring him as listening to the professor. "I haven't seen you much lately!"

"I know, that's why I'm here." He crouched down to eye level with her. "Listen, the track team's having a party on the first of February. How'd you like to go?"

"Oh, Bruce," Nancy said with her patented tilted head and grin. "I would love to, but my ex-boyfriend, Neil, he'll probably be there. And his best friend, too, who had a crush on me last year. It'd just be too weird."

"I understand, Nancy." Bruce stood back up. "No hard feelings."

"Listen, if you'd like to go someplace else, maybe a movie sometime?"

"I'll let you know if I'm free." And he was off.

"Well, that was rude," Nancy grumbled. "Just because I don't want to go to the one event he asked about?"

"You do know Derek isn't planning on going anyway?" Kent asked her.

"He always says things like that, then he always does go," Nancy said. "You know, he still hasn't asked me to the Valentine's dance either, and I don't have a date yet."

"Would you go if he asked?"

Nancy shook her head. "But that's not the point. I've just been so used to having him as a standby, just in case. I hate not even having him. It's like working without a net." She took a long drink of diet coke. "Anyway. He'll come around. The poor kid always does. I'd feel sorry for him if it weren't so flattering, you know? How about you, Kent, have you got anyone special in mind for Valentine's?"

"I sure do," Kent said. "But I'm not saying who until she comes to her senses and says yes."

"Good for you!" Nancy said. "Don't ever give up. Could you maybe tell Derek the same?"

"Already tried, yesterday," Kent said.

"Kent," Nancy said, once again with the tilted head and grin. "We both know you could get him to reconsider."

"Well, I can sure try." Kent kept his delight to himself -- this was just what he needed to drive Derek and Carol apart. "You free tomorrow afternoon?"

"Any time after two," Nancy said.

"Go to the student union at three," Kent said. "I'll see to it that Derek is there."

"God, it must be nice to be able to control your friends like that," Nancy said.

"You could have controlled Derek more than I could ever hope to," Kent said. "All you had to do was not spend all last spring pushing him away."

"But I didn't..." Nancy began. But Kent got up and left without a word before she could finish. So she swallowed her frustration and turned to their other floormates. The talk was mostly of classes, which didn't interest her at all, so she finished her lunch and excused herself.

YDB95
YDB95
579 Followers
123456...9